NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 am

Drayxaso wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:Should be "High-Speed."

Sorry to be a bother, but I don't think this was noticed.


Fixed, thanks.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 am

Trotterdam wrote:Did someone change the random last name macro to expunge all spaces from its entries? Because I noticed them missing in some names that should be multiple words.


Tested and you're right. I'll raise it with technical team.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7216
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Option #679.3 wrote:“A space station? Really?” remarks Django Bakker, an unpopular and rather frugal politician, nibbling at a homemade peanut butter sandwich. “Those nerds may act satisfied, but they’ll just be begging for more funding next week. Take a page from Maxtopia’s book and slash Tinhamptonian Space Agency’s budget. We might get less of that ‘science’ stuff, but who cares? No one, because they’ll be too busy enjoying the tax cut. It’s not like space is going anywhere.”

Shouldn't that be "...the Tinhamptonian Space Agency"?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Achievements
3 SC Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 GA Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

1 Issue:
C: #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

Cup of Harmony 73 CHAMPIONS

User avatar
Lamebrainia
Attaché
 
Posts: 94
Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Issue #680

Postby Lamebrainia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 am

Option #2:
... star prophets, so be it. Besides, they’re just big spheres of exploding gas ...

Is "they" referring to stars or prophets? Since "star" is adjectival here, the use of a pronoun to refer back to it is quite weird.

Option #3:
whom is feeling

who is feeling

User avatar
Tillania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 138
Founded: May 08, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tillania » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 am

Issue 574: "One Small Step For Private Enterprise?" refers to tax dollars irrespective of the national currency.
This sig intentionally left blank

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Did someone change the random last name macro to expunge all spaces from its entries? Because I noticed them missing in some names that should be multiple words.


Tested and you're right. I'll raise it with technical team.


Violet has now fixed this. Thanks for flagging.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:08 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Option #679.3 wrote:“A space station? Really?” remarks Django Bakker, an unpopular and rather frugal politician, nibbling at a homemade peanut butter sandwich. “Those nerds may act satisfied, but they’ll just be begging for more funding next week. Take a page from Maxtopia’s book and slash Tinhamptonian Space Agency’s budget. We might get less of that ‘science’ stuff, but who cares? No one, because they’ll be too busy enjoying the tax cut. It’s not like space is going anywhere.”

Shouldn't that be "...the Tinhamptonian Space Agency"?


Agree. Changed.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:12 am

Tillania wrote:Issue 574: "One Small Step For Private Enterprise?" refers to tax dollars irrespective of the national currency.


Tricky one. In the UK, we don't talk about things costing "tax pounds", we talk about them costing "tax dollars". I guess "taxpayer's money" would be the alternative that doesn't assume dollars being a sufficiently dominant global currency to get into the language of other nations, but I think we risk going into excessive blandness if we go that route.

IRL, "tax dollars" is an idiom used outside of dollar-using countries, so I think it can stay.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2318
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Phydios » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Tillania wrote:Issue 574: "One Small Step For Private Enterprise?" refers to tax dollars irrespective of the national currency.


Tricky one. In the UK, we don't talk about things costing "tax pounds", we talk about them costing "tax dollars". I guess "taxpayer's money" would be the alternative that doesn't assume dollars being a sufficiently dominant global currency to get into the language of other nations, but I think we risk going into excessive blandness if we go that route.

IRL, "tax dollars" is an idiom used outside of dollar-using countries, so I think it can stay.

That is very interesting. As an American, I never would have guessed that the term was that universal. TIL.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 19236
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Tricky one. In the UK, we don't talk about things costing "tax pounds", we talk about them costing "tax dollars". I guess "taxpayer's money" would be the alternative that doesn't assume dollars being a sufficiently dominant global currency to get into the language of other nations, but I think we risk going into excessive blandness if we go that route.

I'm also British, I'd consider "taxpayers' money" to be the normal term, and this is the first time that I've seen or heard anybody from the UK suggesting the use of "tax dollars" in a British context...
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Mount Seymour
Envoy
 
Posts: 249
Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

#385.3 seems to be in need of the new @@HIS@@ macro or at the very least a change of gender in the preceding @@RANDOMNAME@@, so it doesn't come up as:

#385.3 wrote:“But not the one it needs!” exclaims the chief executive of BurgerCorp, Agatha Cox, striding into your office dressed as his latest product
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

User avatar
Ransium
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 6630
Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Mount Seymour wrote:#385.3 seems to be in need of the new @@HIS@@ macro or at the very least a change of gender in the preceding @@RANDOMNAME@@, so it doesn't come up as:

#385.3 wrote:“But not the one it needs!” exclaims the chief executive of BurgerCorp, Agatha Cox, striding into your office dressed as his latest product


You are correct. It will be fixed soon.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017.
Author of 26 issues. First editor of 44.
Forum Moderator since November 10th, 2017. Game Moderator since March 15th, 2018.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:59 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Tricky one. In the UK, we don't talk about things costing "tax pounds", we talk about them costing "tax dollars". I guess "taxpayer's money" would be the alternative that doesn't assume dollars being a sufficiently dominant global currency to get into the language of other nations, but I think we risk going into excessive blandness if we go that route.

I'm also British, I'd consider "taxpayers' money" to be the normal term, and this is the first time that I've seen or heard anybody from the UK suggesting the use of "tax dollars" in a British context...


It's definitely linguistically interesting, and right on the cusp of being a phrase of international usage and being one of purely American parlance.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Lait Criuf Scax
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lait Criuf Scax » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:18 pm

I recently got the issue "“Bring Back Our Booze!” Cry Revellers"

Choice 2 has the line "“It’s certainly not the choice of the victims of drink-driving!”"

Shouldn't it be Drunk-Driving?
Fernão Progress Party, our path forward!

User avatar
Ransium
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 6630
Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Lait Criuf Scax wrote:I recently got the issue "“Bring Back Our Booze!” Cry Revellers"

Choice 2 has the line "“It’s certainly not the choice of the victims of drink-driving!”"

Shouldn't it be Drunk-Driving?


Although I am not British (so I could be wrong), I believe this is the common British term.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017.
Author of 26 issues. First editor of 44.
Forum Moderator since November 10th, 2017. Game Moderator since March 15th, 2018.

User avatar
Lait Criuf Scax
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lait Criuf Scax » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Ransium wrote:
Lait Criuf Scax wrote:I recently got the issue "“Bring Back Our Booze!” Cry Revellers"

Choice 2 has the line "“It’s certainly not the choice of the victims of drink-driving!”"

Shouldn't it be Drunk-Driving?


Although I am not British (so I could be wrong), I believe this is the common British term.


Oh I see, then my apologies.
Fernão Progress Party, our path forward!

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 am

Fancy that, never knew you called it drunk driving in the US. I thought in the US it was DWI / DUI. Drink-driving (almost always hyphenated) is indeed correct usage in the UK, and also in Australia.

Research reveals some other fun differences. Americans have drinking problems, British have drink problems.

Learn something new every day, eh? Other fun one I picked up a few days ago was that what British call pot plants, Americans call potted plants.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 357
Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Other fun one I picked up a few days ago was that what British call pot plants, Americans call potted plants.

That was my issue, wasn't it? ;)
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.


Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg


User avatar
Phydios
Minister
 
Posts: 2318
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Phydios » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Fancy that, never knew you called it drunk driving in the US. I thought in the US it was DWI / DUI. Drink-driving (almost always hyphenated) is indeed correct usage in the UK, and also in Australia.

Research reveals some other fun differences. Americans have drinking problems, British have drink problems.

Learn something new every day, eh? Other fun one I picked up a few days ago was that what British call pot plants, Americans call potted plants.

Yeah, DWI/DUI (driving with the influence / driving under the influence) is the crime that you're charged with if caught, not the name of the activity. I find British slang interesting (and a bit odd) as well.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8889
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:57 am

My understanding was that "driving under influence" is the formal term, while "drunk driving" is the common term used by everyone except lawyers.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21829
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:04 am

Trotterdam wrote:My understanding was that "driving under influence" is the formal term, while "drunk driving" is the common term used by everyone except lawyers.


Not in the UK. In the UK, the common term used by most people is "drink-driving", and the legal term for the crime is "drink-driving".
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20955
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:My understanding was that "driving under influence" is the formal term, while "drunk driving" is the common term used by everyone except lawyers.


Not in the UK. In the UK, the common term used by most people is "drink-driving", and the legal term for the crime is "drink-driving".

I don't know what the legal term is (probably drink driving) but we also call it drink driving.
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
The World of Ares
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Jul 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The World of Ares » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Issue 229

I chose choice 3 where I am giving government money to make decisions in my favor. My corruption dropped 0.35%. My political freedoms went up a whopping 35.5%. Iwhy would my corruption go down when I am giving the government money under the table to make decisions I want?

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 19236
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Learn something new every day, eh? Other fun one I picked up a few days ago was that what British call pot plants, Americans call potted plants.

Perhaps in America 'pot plant' means a cannabis plant?
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Lamebrainia
Attaché
 
Posts: 94
Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Issue #682

Postby Lamebrainia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 am

Description:
automobiles are emitting too much pollution

I don't think pollution can be emitted. Pollutants can. Pollution is an abstract noun denoting the contamination of something with pollutants.

Option #1:
scrappage of inefficient older vehicles

That's overkill, as far as I'm concerned. "Scrappage" already implies "inefficient" and "older".

Option #3:
Professor Mary Smiley ... whether he’s talking

The 21st century is even more lenient when it comes to names and the genders they can be assigned to, but I don't think the name "Mary" is commonly used to address males.
amazing, floating

No comma needed.
Sky-Train

SKY TRAIN

Hyphenation seems a bit inconsistent.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 9003, Kachikawawa

Advertisement

Remove ads