NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #531

Postby Lamebrainia » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:46 am

Shouldn't "Lèse Majesté" from the issue's title have a hyphen in it?
Update: it gets mentioned in the issue as well, also without a hyphen.
Last edited by Lamebrainia on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:13 am

Lamebrainia wrote:Issue #531
Please post it in the spoiler thread if you still have it. (Even if I already know what it's about.)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm

Hey.
#528 wrote:The Issue

A man was arrested for shooting down a drone flown near his house. The drone had a camera attached and was allegedly 'ogling his teenage daughter'. Citizens have demanded action over unmanned, publicly available spy drones.

The Debate

1. "Ain't nobody got the right to spy on my kin!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@ at a gun rights demonstration outside the capitol building. "It's trespassing is what it is! If you can't climb through my window and take pictures of my house, why should you be able to do it with a flying doohickey? It's my god-given right to shoot down anything that violates my airspace, dagnamit!"
Is the speaker in the first option supposed to be the same man as in the issue preamble? The rather specific complaint over "spy on my kin" kind of implies a continuation of the previous story, in which case the character should be a @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, and not, say, Stephanie Lopez, which is what I got.

On the other hand, the fact that the man was arrested makes it unlikely that he'd be free to attend a demonstration. But then it's odd that the speaker is specifically concerned over his/her kin (not otherwise implied to be a particularly favored target), instead of some more direct privacy concern.

As a side note, my data suggests that it's still described as a "gun rights demonstration" even if it only ends up supporting crossbow rights. (Haven't fully researched this yet.)

Wiewawoe
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiewawoe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:50 am

Gigaverse wrote:So I just got Issue 527, and I think I personally have a problem with that.

"King Oswyn V, the last king of @@NAME@@"? So then does that mean every nation will have a last king whose name is Oswyn V; regardless of the government type?

Maybe it's unimportant, and we can always dismiss the issue; but perhaps something can be done for this issue to be... fitter. Perhaps the removal of the name "Oswyn V"?

This kind of bothers me too. Some nations never had kings; others, like mine, still have kings - for both of these, it would be impossible for there to be a "last king". Also, I already made up the names of all my kings and there was no king Oswyn…

I feel like I'm being nit-picky and I know it's not that important, but it still feels kind of weird to me…

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Transsexual model

Postby Venetoland » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 am

Would it be possible to change it to the more current term "transgender"? IMO this is the better term, AND does not substantially effect the issue.
Last edited by Venetoland on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Venetoland wrote:Would it be possible to chNge it to the more current term "transgender"? IMO this is the better term, AND does not substantially effect the issue.

I thought "transsexual" referred to those that had undergone surgery to change their physical body to something closer to what they believe they are mentally, and "transgender" referred to those that hadn't had such surgery but are living as their believed gender. Am I wrong?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Bruination
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruination » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Phydios wrote:
Venetoland wrote:Would it be possible to chNge it to the more current term "transgender"? IMO this is the better term, AND does not substantially effect the issue.

I thought "transsexual" referred to those that had undergone surgery to change their physical body to something closer to what they believe they are mentally, and "transgender" referred to those that hadn't had such surgery but are living as their believed gender. Am I wrong?

AFAIK, neither term references surgeries or the lack thereof. They essentially both refer to gender identity only, regardless of surgical history, but "transsexual" is an older term that has fallen out of favor because of its more clinical sound (and possibly other reasons).

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Bruination wrote:
Phydios wrote:I thought "transsexual" referred to those that had undergone surgery to change their physical body to something closer to what they believe they are mentally, and "transgender" referred to those that hadn't had such surgery but are living as their believed gender. Am I wrong?

AFAIK, neither term references surgeries or the lack thereof. They essentially both refer to gender identity only, regardless of surgical history, but "transsexual" is an older term that has fallen out of favor because of its more clinical sound (and possibly other reasons).

Hm. Okay. Thanks.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #524

Postby Lamebrainia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:25 pm

Option 3:
We could do with rearranging the number of seats each constituency get

"gets"?

Option 4:
hear hear

I'd have a hyphen between those two.
splendid in fact. But, election season is nearing

I'd have a comma before "in fact" and remove the one before "election".
Last edited by Lamebrainia on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Transsexual remains a commonly used term, and I'm not seeing any significant evidence that's it's widely considered offensive.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Bruination
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruination » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Transsexual remains a commonly used term, and I'm not seeing any significant evidence that's it's widely considered offensive.

Let's put aside "commonly used", as many offensive terms are commonly used. But I'll even put aside "widely considered offensive" and offer argument that is not dependent on that. 'Transgender' or 'trans' is more commonly used, more widely preferred, more current, more inclusive, less stilted, and less clinical. 'Transgender' or 'trans' is simply a better, more up-to-date term than 'transsexual'. Like 'gay' over 'homophile' (a non-offensive term that simply fell out of favor in the 1960s-1970s).

From the GLAAD Media Reference Guide:

"Transgender: An umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth."

"Transsexual: An older term which originated in the medical and psychological communities. Many transgender people prefer the term 'transgender' to 'transsexual.' Some transsexual people still prefer to use the term to describe themselves. However, unlike 'transgender,' 'transsexual' is not an umbrella term, as many transgender people do not identify as transsexual."

Emphasis mine.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:29 pm

And #066 doesn't use it as an umbrella term, it uses it to describe one particular person who identifies as such and was the center of a controversy.

Now can we stop talking about this?

Bruination
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruination » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Trotterdam wrote:And #066 doesn't use it as an umbrella term, it uses it to describe one particular person who identifies as such and was the center of a controversy.

I honestly, genuinely see it using the term as an umbrella, but I will stop talking about this at your request. I deeply apologize for not sharing your view on this.
Last edited by Bruination on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:58 am

Some punctuation in #536, according to the recently posted version:

#536 option 1 wrote:self-appointed head of one of the border towns lynch mobs, Edward Salem.
"Towns'" should have an apostrophe.

#536 option 2 wrote:a tall, dark haired mysterious stranger
"Dark-haired" should have a hyphen.

#536 option 3 wrote:
Is the use of a Unicode dash intentional? I thought issues prefer to avoid Unicode versions of things that exist in ASCII.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:09 am

Trotterdam wrote:Some punctuation in #536, according to the recently posted version:

#536 option 1 wrote:self-appointed head of one of the border towns lynch mobs, Edward Salem.
"Towns'" should have an apostrophe.

#536 option 2 wrote:a tall, dark haired mysterious stranger
"Dark-haired" should have a hyphen.

#536 option 3 wrote:
Is the use of a Unicode dash intentional? I thought issues prefer to avoid Unicode versions of things that exist in ASCII.

Fixed.

The CP didn't throw up any errors for that dash, so I don't imagine it is a problem.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:30 am

Luna Amore wrote:The CP didn't throw up any errors for that dash, so I don't imagine it is a problem.
It also doesn't throw up an error for "smartquotes", since one snuck in (which doesn't seem to have ever been addressed).

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Bruination wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:And #066 doesn't use it as an umbrella term, it uses it to describe one particular person who identifies as such and was the center of a controversy.

I honestly, genuinely see it using the term as an umbrella, but I will stop talking about this at your request. I deeply apologize for not sharing your view on this.

:golfclap:

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:08 am

In Issue #537, Summary Injustice, the judge in "Constitutional Court Judge" probably shouldn't be capitalized, since "Constitutional Court" is a proper name and "judge" is a common noun that's not part of the proper name.

An anti-corruption case accusing a Constitutional Court Judge of abusing his power was recently dismissed without trial, because the same Constitutional Court Judge said that he was 'too tired to read the case notes'. After a week of bad press, the national ombudsman is demanding that you review the case personally, as it has become a cause célèbre within the legal community.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Not an error, but I've always wondered why the description for Issue #142 says:

"A group of local motorists have assembled outside of City Hall to protest against the shoddy state of roads in @@NAME@@."

Why would people assemble outside the city government to protest the state of roads nationally?

My suggestion for an edit:

"A group of motorists has assembled outside the Department of Transportation to protest the shoddy state of roads in @@NAME@@."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

G-Max
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby G-Max » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 am

Luna Amore wrote:Taxes went down for you on that issue so I have no idea what you are ranting about.

First, taxes went down because I picked increased centralization, which I really did NOT want to do but felt forced to do because the effects were the opposite of what they should have been.

Second, your link does NOT indicate, AT ALL, which issues caused my tax rates to go up and which ones made it go down. It only shows a general downward trend in taxes.

Once again, there is a megathread for general stat changes post the major issue update.

It would be nice if you had, at any point, told me what that thread was, or even mentioned that such a thread existed. I'm kind of taking a wild-ass guess that this is the correct one. Let me know if it isn't.

Include the nation, the issue number

Issues have numbers? How am I supposed to know what they are?

choice selected

How is that even remotely relevant to anything? My complaints are normally that all the options suck and that I have to dismiss the issue.

and what stat you think is incorrect

That would be much easier if there was some way of knowing what the effects actually are. Like I said, I started a whole thread about that very problem.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:31 am

G-Max wrote:Second, your link does NOT indicate, AT ALL, which issues caused my tax rates to go up and which ones made it go down. It only shows a general downward trend in taxes.

I can see individual choices.
G-Max wrote:
Once again, there is a megathread for general stat changes post the major issue update.

It would be nice if you had, at any point, told me what that thread was, or even mentioned that such a thread existed. I'm kind of taking a wild-ass guess that this is the correct one. Let me know if it isn't.

Ok, G-Max. Well, here it is: [MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update.

G-Max wrote:
Include the nation, the issue number

Issues have numbers? How am I supposed to know what they are?

They are in the url bar of an issue page and the issue number is on the top right of the newspaper on each issue page.

G-Max wrote:
choice selected

How is that even remotely relevant to anything? My complaints are normally that all the options suck and that I have to dismiss the issue.

And as I've said multiple times, that isn't helpful. If you think all the issues suck, maybe this isn't the game you should be spending time on. For the rest of us, it's nice to know what specific issues you have with the choices you picked.

G-Max wrote:
and what stat you think is incorrect

That would be much easier if there was some way of knowing what the effects actually are. Like I said, I started a whole thread about that very problem.

After you answer an issue, the stats are presented. That was part of the big issue update.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:38 pm

So I've had #532, "Desert Island Risks", sitting in my queue unanswered for a while, and while considering the options, it occurred to me that part of the reason I was having trouble answering it is that it really doesn't make any sense for Eahland to be getting that issue at all. It's all about rich citizens using offshore accounts to shield income from our income taxes... but we don't have any income tax.

That's not even just my IC canon; game-mechanics-wise, we do not have any income tax. We're in the top half-percent of the world for lowest tax burden, and it says right on my nation page: "Income tax is unheard of." Eahland is where rich foreigners should be sending their money to shield it from other nations' income tax.

Maybe the issue should have a validity requirement for high income taxes? Or even any income taxes at all?
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Offshore bank accounts can have purposes other than tax evasion. It also helps disguise the paper trail for any money you've made by questionably-legal means.

Still, I see your point and would not oppose the suggested validity change.

United Chrisraelistine
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 04, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chrisraelistine » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
G-Max wrote:That would be much easier if there was some way of knowing what the effects actually are. Like I said, I started a whole thread about that very problem.

After you answer an issue, the stats are presented. That was part of the big issue update.

Please explain the relationship between weather and cracking down on hate speech: Image
This nationstate does not represent my real political views. It was originally more of a thought experiment as to what a one-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict might look like. It is now being repurposed.

G-Max
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby G-Max » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Easter Egg: Should We Pull The Lever?

The Issue
During the middle of the night, someone has mysteriously put a lever in the middle of the city park. On it, it says, "Pull the Lever, And See The World End."

The Debate
1. "I've always wanted to see the apocalypse." says an elderly man on a park bench. "All that fire and brimstone. To see God's wrath. Something I can tell my grandchildren about later on. I say we should."

2. "Not on your life!" says his wife sitting next to him. "If you pull that lever, we'll have no grandchildren, no life, only heaven and hell. Don't you dare pull that lever."

3. "Now, don't think of it as a do/don't option," says a hot dog vendor. "What if we give tours so that people can see the lever? Not to touch it of course, but to see that humanity can be ruined by such a contraption. We can make a profit."

Where's the option for "excavate it and figure out how it works"?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?