NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Gnejs wrote:But it's not wrong, Luna! He's Smalltopian and speaks with a thick accent 8)

Ah, yes, of course.

I shouldn't be so quick to judge our Smalltopian brothers.

Changed back. >_>

Made my day, Luna, you made my day. Admittedly it's 8 in the morning, so my day just began. :lol2:
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

Agadin
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Agadin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:38 am

303.3 (Trafficked Tots Trouble): I got five newspaper headlines for this choice (repel parental licences). The first headline was completely blank, which seems like a bug.
Last edited by Agadin on Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #205

Postby Lamebrainia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 am

You don't just get protein or iron in red meat and if we could make this clearer to everyone with a nationwide 'Getting to Terms with Vegetarianism' programme so the populace learns how to eat healthily we would see a difference.

I think there should be a comma before "and if we could" and another one - before "we would see".

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Confusing Issue response

Postby Enfaru » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:37 am

Issue 244 appears to come up if you "abolish" the military, but Enfaru hasn't abolished it's military, it just forced it to go after its own funding. Abolishing state funding of the military and actually getting rid of it altogether are two different things. Yet it appears that for the government to "own" something it must "fund" it and that's really a bad way to do things. For example something can be government controlled, yet paid for by the private sector quite easily.

I suspect a change may need to be made. (Albeit I am thankful the issue came up as to be fair, I hadn't wanted to completely wipe out the military funding in the first place...)
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #421

Postby Aibohphobia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Option 2 creates no outcome at all.
The "talking point" is present, so are newspaper headlines, but nothing gets changed in the process.
Was it meant to be this way?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Aibohphobia wrote:Option 2 creates no outcome at all.
The "talking point" is present, so are newspaper headlines, but nothing gets changed in the process.
Was it meant to be this way?

Yes, it's working fine. There just happened to be no outcome for you with this option on this particular occasion.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Fin Dovah Junaar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fin Dovah Junaar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Sooooo....

Why does the second issue in "Where there's a will, there's a tax" abolish inheritance tax?

Even it supports that, and the only think hinting at it being abolished is what I presume to be a blunder in the last sentence.
Please Refer to my Nation as Anor Ostrum
Factbook: IntroductionKingdomsMapThe Three PillarsPontiff Godwyne the WiseTriviaOOC Notes
The Eternal Kingdom of the Flame
"And so, it is that ash seekth embers, and renew the old accord, for all that has been, shall be once more."

Techs: Medieval (Slightly Mixed) - Dark Fantasy Nation - Ashes

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:11 pm

In issue 493, option three:

"I don't really understand what issue is," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, a burly Smalltopian diplomat, from a couch in the executive lounge. "I watch sports to see best compete against best. Who cares if they take drug or drinking chemical to be stronger and faster? Give all athlete drug!" As he speaks, he is rapidly switching between three different sporting events on TV. "Stronger, faster, BETTER, if you ask me!"

Typo
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Mahdistan wrote:In issue 493, option three:

"I don't really understand what issue is," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, a burly Smalltopian diplomat, from a couch in the executive lounge. "I watch sports to see best compete against best. Who cares if they take drug or drinking chemical to be stronger and faster? Give all athlete drug!" As he speaks, he is rapidly switching between three different sporting events on TV. "Stronger, faster, BETTER, if you ask me!"

Typo

It's intentional.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:In issue 493, option three:

Typo

It's intentional.

Oh.
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Enfaru wrote:Issue 244 appears to come up if you "abolish" the military, but Enfaru hasn't abolished it's military, it just forced it to go after its own funding. Abolishing state funding of the military and actually getting rid of it altogether are two different things. Yet it appears that for the government to "own" something it must "fund" it and that's really a bad way to do things. For example something can be government controlled, yet paid for by the private sector quite easily.

I suspect a change may need to be made. (Albeit I am thankful the issue came up as to be fair, I hadn't wanted to completely wipe out the military funding in the first place...)

This post was moved here from Technical.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Enfaru wrote:Issue 244 appears to come up if you "abolish" the military, but Enfaru hasn't abolished it's military, it just forced it to go after its own funding. Abolishing state funding of the military and actually getting rid of it altogether are two different things. Yet it appears that for the government to "own" something it must "fund" it and that's really a bad way to do things. For example something can be government controlled, yet paid for by the private sector quite easily.

Nations with low or no military spending can get #244. All is as it should be.
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

New Glubbdubdrib
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Glubbdubdrib » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:40 am

Maybe this isn't what the thread is for, but I have a complaint about the issue 422 (Wounded Veterans Demand A Helping Hand).

There's three options, but very little variation: all options conclude that the nation should be helping the veterans. Which makes no sense for several of my puppets. This one, for instance: it opposes public healthcare and consider soldiers to be renewable resources that can be used and simply thrown away.

Feels like that issue is dictating the policy for me ('you'll have to take care of the veterans'), instead of the player deciding what's the best for the nation.

In short, it needs an option that doesn't raise Pubic Healthcare and Compassion. Either that, or make it unavailable for nations with non-existent healthcare.
Last edited by New Glubbdubdrib on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:52 am

New Glubbdubdrib wrote:In short, it needs an option that doesn't raise Pubic Healthcare and Compassion. Either that, or make it unavailable for nations with non-existent healthcare.

What's wrong with the 'Dismiss' button?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:39 am

I don't know if this is intentional (religious nuts using antiquated grammar to sound sophisticated aren't necessarily well-educated about how it actually works), but issue #172 option 1 uses "shalt" incorrectly:
"If we don't rectify this problem immediately the ground shalt quake, the sky shalt turn blood-red, and the fields shalt turn to offal."
"Shalt" is correctly used in the second-person singular ("thou shalt"). These instances should, boringly, be "shall".

I also find that the effect line for that option ("atheists refusing to attend church are heavily fined by the government") is rather similar to the one for #070 option 4 ("atheists are heavily taxed"). Mere fines are honestly a bit underwhelming after such an impassioned speech.

New Glubbdubdrib wrote:Maybe this isn't what the thread is for, but I have a complaint about the issue 422 (Wounded Veterans Demand A Helping Hand).

There's three options, but very little variation: all options conclude that the nation should be helping the veterans. Which makes no sense for several of my puppets. This one, for instance: it opposes public healthcare and consider soldiers to be renewable resources that can be used and simply thrown away.

Feels like that issue is dictating the policy for me ('you'll have to take care of the veterans'), instead of the player deciding what's the best for the nation.

In short, it needs an option that doesn't raise Pubic Healthcare and Compassion. Either that, or make it unavailable for nations with non-existent healthcare.
I would think option 2 is the "we don't care about you" option, since it's passing the buck to private industry. Unless you hate veterans so much that you don't want them to get medical help even if they can afford it with money they raised on their own.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Issue #476

Postby Lamebrainia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:01 am

cries supercentenarian Party member @@NAME@@, who at one hundred and ten years old

Isn't this statement tautological?

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:21 am

Lamebrainia wrote:
cries supercentenarian Party member @@NAME@@, who at one hundred and ten years old

Isn't this statement tautological?

Tautological would be something like "centadecarian" or "centadecanarian." "Supercentenarian" just means "over 100."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 pm

It's a clarification. First you say "wow, he's old!", then you follow with "to be exact, this old".

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamebrainia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Lamebrainia wrote:Isn't this statement tautological?

Tautological would be something like "centadecarian" or "centadecanarian." "Supercentenarian" just means "over 100."

"Supercentenarian" means over 110 years old. And if the age is clarified in the next substatement, then having used the adjective was pointless.
Compare: "The greater-than-ten number is equal to thirteen". Why would anyone put a phrase this way?
Also, it is tautological, because the same bit of information is repeated two times with different levels of clarity. Dictionary entry.

Trotterdam wrote:It's a clarification. First you say "wow, he's old!", then you follow with "to be exact, this old".

Yes, it is. But a needless one. Please take a look at the numerical example given above.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Issue #179

Postby Lamebrainia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:22 pm

Option 2 wrote:cos if we don't it'll just come around again

There should be a comma after "we don't".
Option 3 wrote:into tests that most likely won't work don't you think?

There should be a comma after "won't work".

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Lamebrainia wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

"Supercentenarian" means over 110 years old. And if the age is clarified in the next substatement, then having used the adjective was pointless.
Compare: "The greater-than-ten number is equal to thirteen". Why would anyone put a phrase this way?
Also, it is tautological, because the same bit of information is repeated two times with different levels of clarity. Dictionary entry.

I know what a tautology is, thanks. Clearly the only thing I didn't know was "supercentenarian," so thanks (sincere this time) for defining that. In this context, the repetition may be intended to emphasize just how spectacularly elderly the guy is; though if they changed it in the way you suggest I wouldn't mourn heavily, for the exact reasons you've given.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamebrainia » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I know what a tautology is, thanks. Clearly the only thing I didn't know was "supercentenarian," so thanks (sincere this time) for defining that. In this context, the repetition may be intended to emphasize just how spectacularly elderly the guy is; though if they changed it in the way you suggest I wouldn't mourn heavily, for the exact reasons you've given.

I can't see any reason for being ironical. Your definition of tautology is "saying the same thing two or more times", when the actual definition goes as far as to engulf statements around the lines of "X is greater than 10 and X is greater than 15". What you were thinking of is called "repetition", while "tautology" is a broader term. Yes, etymologically I'm wrong, but the word has gained a new meaning after centuries of philosophising and whatnot.
Obviously, I cannot be sure in assessing an issue from a semantic point of view, because I didn't write it. I'm not interested in blaming anyone or having quarrels. My main concern is epitomised in this thread's title - to help fix issues. That doesn't mean I'm right when I think something's a mistake, but no harm's done in highlighting something that's potentially wrong.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Issue #496

Postby Lamebrainia » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 am

Option 1 wrote:evidence based CBT

Should probably be "evidence-based".

Tecton
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tecton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:41 pm

For issue 478, option two has Handel where I suppose handle is supposed to be.
DEFCON Level: 5 - Normal Readiness
Current Event: Average life in Tecton
Citizen Temperament: Normal
Tech Level: FFT (SA stat is currently not canon, new issue system fucked me up.)
Military Personnel: 310,820,366 (Total)
Long Live Technology!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
Member of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Tecton wrote:For issue 478, option two has Handel where I suppose handle is supposed to be.

It's an intentional reference to a famous composer. Google it.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?