NATION

PASSWORD

Proposed Issue on Witchcraft

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Proposed Issue on Witchcraft

Postby Panageadom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 am

Here's my idea for an issue:

Name: Too many burnt stakes?

Description: Following a recent surge in fervour, many citizens of @@NAME@@ have gone on a spree, hunting down wise-women, witches and doctors alike in an attempt to purge @@NAME@@ of the satanic. Though currently illegal under the law of @@NAME@@, petitioners have asked you to formalise @@NAME@@'s position on witchcraft.

Validity: Only valid for nations with a high level of "devoutness" or a low level of intelligence.

[option] "I think these burnings are unacceptable," says the lawyer of the recently deceased Morgan Lefay, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while exuding a slightly sulpherous fume, "My client was accused of dealings with demons, and subsequently executed without a trial. Now, I hold, not only that my client never engaged in such activities, but that even if she did, she was at perfect liberty to do so. The government must recognise people's right to deal with the satanic, and sent police squads after those who don't."
[effect] the government stamps down on those who would burn "witches"
[stats] crime drops, taxes rise slightly, law and order rises as a government priority, civil rights rise

[option] "I agree with my legal colleague, except that I feel we need to do more than combat the surface symptoms of this problem," says world renowned physicist @@RANDOMNAME@@, stroking a small goatee, "What we need to do is invest heavily in education, so that the witch-burners can realise that there is no such thing as witchcraft, demonic or otherwise."
[effect] the government spends copious amounts of time and money convincing the public that there is no such thing as witches
[stats] education rises as a government prioirity, taxes rise slightly, crime drops, the nation becomes more intelligent

[option] "Heretics! Didn't you see that physicist's horns!?" Screams avid witch-burner, @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The government needs to join forces with the milit- *ahem* vigilan- *ahem* devout in stamping out this menace to our devout and satanic menace: we need funding and legal sanction! You get the funds from that heathen-nest of an education system we have."
[effect] the government equips witch-burners in @@NAME@@ with both a legal mandate, torches and ducking stools
[stats] education falls as a government priority, religion and spirituality rises a government priority, the nation becomes less intelligent, the nation becomes more devout, crime increases, civil rights decrease

[option] "Now,I think you're failing to see the political application of this witchcraft fanaticism," says CEO of AntiWitch Inc., @@RANDOMNAME@@, "We can manufacture devices, en masse, for the government to use to find "witches" of traitors, political enemies - you name it, we'll find you a witch in it. All we require is a bucketload of money and monopoly status in @@NAME@@. That's not too much to ask for having your greatest weakness burnt by a mob, is it?"
[effect] the government of @@NAME@@ merely needs to find a person a witch by use of "devices" to have them find themselves on the stake soon enough
[stats] civil rights fall significantly, corruption rises, taxes rise, devoutness rises, intelligence falls, economic rights decrease, political freedoms decrease markedly
Last edited by Panageadom on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: Proposed Issue on Witchcraft

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 am

Your suggestions about using low intelligence as an eligibility factor and about how choosing certain options would affect intelliegnce ratings seem based on the assumption that "witchcraft" is totally fake -- or, at least, self-delusion -- in all NS nations just as it (probably) is in RL.
However NS nations vary quite widely, and there are actually some where various forms of magic are not only widely accepted but verifiably genuine...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:54 am

I like the issue. Ignore what Bears Armed said. It could do with a bit of revision, but you shouldn't try to pander to the magical nations since that detracts from the impact of the choices you're making.

Theurgia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Theurgia » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 am

You might want to find a more general word for "satanic" as this term is derived from specific religions, and is not universal in scope.
Visit Theurgia: http://www.theurgia.th

FreeSatania
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby FreeSatania » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:11 am

This is fairly similar to the inquisition issue. That being said I thin you should change two things - both of the pro-witch burning positions are unreasonably biased. There is no reason for intelligence to fall, crime to increase or taxes to rise. As bears armed said in order to draw that conclusion you have to believe that witchcraft is not real. In RL that might be reasonable but in NS world it definitely could. In the first anti-witch option the marauders are granted legal legitimacy which should (since they were and are no longer commiting a crime) have the effect of reducing crime. In the second anti-witch option taxes increase which is rational only if Antiwitch is publicly funded... Where's the private sector option? Like a witch extermination company or somthing.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Personally I'd like to see a "Is @@NATION@@'s Own @@LEADER@@ a heretic?" issue.

Where a Salem-esque witch-hunt has escalated to the point that the national leader is accused of being a heretic, and can either put an end to witch-hunts to save his/her own skin, deflect the argument and point the blame at someone else (a political enemy no doubt), legitimize witchcraft burning with restrictions and regulations for accusations and trials to the point where he/she is no longer applicable, or allow witchcraft and magic.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 am

Unibot wrote:...or allow witchcraft and magic.

What he said. Why is there not an option for that on the issue initially proposed in this thread?
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Panageadom
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 am

There is. The first.
Author of Issues:

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:33 am

Wow, I read this totally wrong,
The government must recognise people's right to deal with the satanic

I thought you meant you were allowing citzens to kill off satanic people. :palm:

Panageadom
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:34 am

:lol: I just, with spelling corrected, submitted this issue.
Author of Issues:

None at present

Pwnshop
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pwnshop » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:24 am

i suggest a pro-witch/satanic option
/-/4|*\|_|/-/1 > |<-0|\|
http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/J ... /Home.html
Shota OBJECTIFIES MEN!!!!

I AM PART OF A STEREOTYPICAL ZIONIST CONSPIRACY

Pope Joan wrote:Your nation has no political freedoms, so you can't be.

You might still be a whiny pseudo liberal neocon twat, however.

Israslovakahzerbajan
Powerbroker

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Israslovakahzerbajan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:28 pm

What do you burn other than witches?
MOAR WITCHES!
IC name: El Reino Panamericano/El Reino de La Dorada
IC Flag: Follow this link

México-Americano, por nacimiento. Nacionalista de mi país adoptivo: México.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Oh, I bet it counts alright...otaku gets anyone a x50 multiplier on their hell points.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 am

Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:What do you burn other than witches?
MOAR WITCHES!

Don't gravedig.

Gummi Glen and Ursalia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gummi Glen and Ursalia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm

:rofl:

It isn't hard to guess that the guy who wrote this issue is an American, or spends too much time in American websites.
Ignore list count : 66
• Nazis
• Stalinists
• fascists
• anarchists
• flag-waving patriots
• racists
• militarists
• imperialists
• NATO supporters
• EU supporters
• Rangers FC supporters
• history falsifiers
• conspiracy theorists
• satanists
• atheists
• people who are in favour of:
-capital punishment
-abortion
-private gun ownership
-genetic engineering
-hunting and fishing for sport
-unregulated capitalism
-moral relativism
• people who are against:
-free health care
-religious influence on politics
-religious education in schools
-public display of religious symbols
-censorship of offensive material
-environmental protection
Yes, I'm a Christian. C'mon then, haters, try and do something about it.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm

(Wrong)
Author of Issues:

None at present

Gummi Glen and Ursalia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gummi Glen and Ursalia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Where else would such an idea come from, then?
Ignore list count : 66
• Nazis
• Stalinists
• fascists
• anarchists
• flag-waving patriots
• racists
• militarists
• imperialists
• NATO supporters
• EU supporters
• Rangers FC supporters
• history falsifiers
• conspiracy theorists
• satanists
• atheists
• people who are in favour of:
-capital punishment
-abortion
-private gun ownership
-genetic engineering
-hunting and fishing for sport
-unregulated capitalism
-moral relativism
• people who are against:
-free health care
-religious influence on politics
-religious education in schools
-public display of religious symbols
-censorship of offensive material
-environmental protection
Yes, I'm a Christian. C'mon then, haters, try and do something about it.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:08 pm

Monty Pythonish, I think, originally.
Author of Issues:

None at present

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?