NATION

PASSWORD

Scandal Issue

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Scandal Issue

Postby Osgarna » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 pm

I've had this issue a few times in my main nation and puppets. Seems to me that option one and two force you to drastically limit freedom of the press or establish some kind of religious law. The final one moves you significantly to the right. As I am always going for a Left-wing Utopia, I always end up just dismissing it.

Here it is:
Scandal Rocks Bosa's Government! wrote:The Issue

A tabloid magazine, The National Incriminator, has revealed the sordid details of an affair between one of your top advisors, Robert Lotsalovin, and his secretary.

The Debate

1. "They found out I did WHAT?!" Advisor Lotsalovin says in his morning meeting in your office. "This just can't happen! How can government officials do their jobs properly if we have to work under the constant scrutiny of these idiotic supermarket tabloids? I say tabloid newspapers must be banned, and we must not allow newspapers to speak ill of our government officials... for the good of Bosa, of course..."

2. "Unbelievable!" says Reverend George W. Hanover of the local Catholic church. "Our government officials must be held to a higher standard than this! Mr. Lotsalovin must be removed from office and jailed. We cannot allow such disgusting corruption within the halls of justice!"

3. "Whoa, whoa, hey, now..." argues Senator Roxanne Frederickson. "What happened to Mr. Lotsalovin is no different than affairs that happen all over Bosa every day! Before you know it, they'll be after YOUR sexual history! I think what we need to do is take the public attention off of it somehow, perhaps by... oh, I don't know... giving them a tax cut! That'll divert their attention from this momentary distraction just long enough for Mr. Lotsalovin's divorce process to end!"

The Sedge
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Scandal Issue

Postby The Sedge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 pm

I don't think there's anything religious about option 2, other than that its proposed by a religious representative - it just means that corrupt officials are punished. I don't know too much about issues, but I reckon option 2 would improve your political freedoms, which would probably fit your nation best.
Last edited by The Sedge on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm

The problem with option 2, it seems to me, is that it treats adultery as a crime, suggesting that the adviser be thrown in jail. While I can accept firing, jail is a little harsh, particularly since I don't have prisons.

The Sedge
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sedge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Fair point, I hadn't looked at it that way. I certainly won't pick that option in future :P

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 am

I think that choosing option #2 also lowers your 'Most Corrupt Government' rating.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 am

Option 1 censors the media.

Option 2 criminalizes extra-marital affairs.

There is nothing right-wing about option 3. All option 3 does is give you a small tax cut so I always choose option 3. Censoring the media and criminalizing sex outside of marriage is what is right-wing.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:18 am

It should also be noted the issue never says that the guy is married so it could be an unmarried man having an affair so the issue isn't about adultery but a government official having an affair with an employee.

Bukhziristan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bukhziristan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:06 pm

We just wana ask is that how do you reduce taxes?

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Reduce taxes

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 am

The third option will give you a small tax reduction of 1 or 2%.

There are other issues that can give you a much greater tax reduction though.

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Generally, if you take an anti-government position, taxes will go down.

I took option two, not because adultery should be criminalized, but because elected officials should be held to a higher standard of behavior than the rest of the people. Assuming that he is married, would you really trust an elected official to make the tough decisions and represent their constituants if they cannot even show loyalty to their spouse? Once someone is elected to public office, they should consider themselves public property. That is my belief at least.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Bukhziristan wrote:We just wana ask is that how do you reduce taxes?

Step one is to not gravedig old threads.

OK, so that has nothing to do with reducing taxes, but don't gravedig anyway.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?