NATION

PASSWORD

Power Issues :D

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Power Issues :D

Postby Spredronia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm

"The Issue
The oldest power station in Spredronia suffered a catastrophic failure last night, plunging a third of Spredronia's national power supply grid into darkness. There is no debate that it needs to be replaced, but the question is with what?

The Debate
"The solution is clear," says environmental activist Calvin Nagasawa. "Wind turbines and solar power stations are the cleanest there are. We must switch power production to forms of renewable energy, that will never run out. The only minor problems are that wind farms will take up a great deal of space and of course we can't exactly rely on the weather. It isn't as though we control it. But think of how much healthier people will be without all that pollution!"

"Wind power? Solar collectors? Bah! Have you ever wondered when the least amount of strain is placed on the national grid? WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING!" exclaims Southern Spredronia Electra official Jack Li. "We need power under our control, and cheaply. Coal has been the cheapest and most abundant power source for ages. We don't need this airy fairy wind malarky when we have cheap and reliable power available for all. True, pollution will be a bit on the heavy side but I'm sure that's only a minor problem, with how well funded our health system is!"

"Now the way I see it is that it's either green, expensive, and sprawling; or compact, polluting and cheap. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the best of both worlds? Well, we can!" claims fission technician Samuel Hamilton. "Nuclear power is reliable, clean, and although it isn't cheap, it won't break the bank. There is a risk of deadly meltdown, but this is relatively small, and the only people who could be against this are anti-nuclear protesters, but what do we care about those tree-hugging hippies?"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt."

I'm going to use #3. I think it'll set back the environment back a bit, and health will go down, etc. But it's NUCLEAR! Come on man! Comments?
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Power Issues :D

Postby Surote » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Spredronia wrote:"The Issue
The oldest power station in Spredronia suffered a catastrophic failure last night, plunging a third of Spredronia's national power supply grid into darkness. There is no debate that it needs to be replaced, but the question is with what?

The Debate
"The solution is clear," says environmental activist Calvin Nagasawa. "Wind turbines and solar power stations are the cleanest there are. We must switch power production to forms of renewable energy, that will never run out. The only minor problems are that wind farms will take up a great deal of space and of course we can't exactly rely on the weather. It isn't as though we control it. But think of how much healthier people will be without all that pollution!"

"Wind power? Solar collectors? Bah! Have you ever wondered when the least amount of strain is placed on the national grid? WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING!" exclaims Southern Spredronia Electra official Jack Li. "We need power under our control, and cheaply. Coal has been the cheapest and most abundant power source for ages. We don't need this airy fairy wind malarky when we have cheap and reliable power available for all. True, pollution will be a bit on the heavy side but I'm sure that's only a minor problem, with how well funded our health system is!"

"Now the way I see it is that it's either green, expensive, and sprawling; or compact, polluting and cheap. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the best of both worlds? Well, we can!" claims fission technician Samuel Hamilton. "Nuclear power is reliable, clean, and although it isn't cheap, it won't break the bank. There is a risk of deadly meltdown, but this is relatively small, and the only people who could be against this are anti-nuclear protesters, but what do we care about those tree-hugging hippies?"

I'm going to use #3. I think it'll set back the environment back a bit, and health will go down, etc. But it's NUCLEAR! Come on man! Comments?

I would go with Number one it's better for the enviroment and citizens.

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Spredronia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Surote wrote:
Spredronia wrote:"The Issue

The Debate

I would go with Number one it's better for the enviroment and citizens.

Yeah, but until I get enough tech to convert the Sun's light into full power, I'll stick with nukes.
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ledarre » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 am

I chose No. 3, the only dowside really is that you get a load of protesters complaining about the power plants. I found that enviroment and health were not really effected ( or is it affected?). however I'm sure it would depend on how much money was already being spent on the enviroment and healthcare.
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Ledarre wrote:I'm struggling to see the problem here. Just look at my nation, looks like a politically free nation, right? WRONG! The democratically elected parliament requires a unanimous vote to actually pass legalisation and with proportional representation and the number of extremists in parliament this is near impossible.

So the monarchy effectively rules by decree. I have achieved this through answering issues in a certain way... Unfortunately I can’t remember what those issues were. That plus a little bit of RP. Anyway my point is it’s easy to have moderate to high political freedoms and still have absolute power, you just have to be creative.

Huh. That's a rather unique and, I must say, deliciously evil approach. *golfclap*

Return to Got Issues?