NATION

PASSWORD

DITCHED: The New Racist Car

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32068
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

DITCHED: The New Racist Car

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 11, 2026 12:54 am

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=523752

Okay, so since this thread has made its way back into discussion, I thought I would try my hand at making word “Aftokinita Tou Laou” is Greek for “the People’s Car” which is what “Volkswagen” means, as Volkwagen had ties to a certain moustached Austrian painter


[title] The New Racist Car
[validity] must have cars, must have police, must be capitalist, must have auto manufacturing

[desc] Aftokinita Tou Laou (ATL), an @@ANIMAL@@ City based car manufacturer, implemented biometric technology into their vehicles, which has allegedly been locking ethnic minorities out of their cars

[option] "This is extremely racist" complains John "Crazyblox" Pennyslow, a well-known Bigtopian rights activist. "I tried to enter my ATL Supreme Vroom 3000, before the vehicle started sounding an alarm and called the police! I mean, granted, there were two cherry red ATL Supreme Vroom 3000s in that car park, and I tried to enter the wrong one, but still, the response wouldn't have been as extreme if I were an ethnic @@DENONYM@@! This is blatant racism and us ethnic minorities shouldn't put up with it!"

[effect] the police are not allowed to assume that ethnic minorities caught in the act are thieves

[option] "Cars are chunks of metal that go vroom vroom. Chunks of metal that go vroom vroom are incapable of racism," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of ATL, whilst showing you the features of the Supreme Vroom 4000 that @@HE@@ inexplicably drove into your office. "Our software wouldn't assume that they were thieves if they didn't go around stealing ever... I mean, look @@LEADER@@, we have our duty to our customers to prevent theft. If this leads to a few ethnic minorities having the police called on them, then what can we do about it?"

[effect] according to biometrics one's skin colour determines their likelihood of being a thief

[option] "This is bad @@LEADER@@!" explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of commerce, showing you the latest export statistics, "If Bigwigs think that our cars are racist, we're not going to tap the Bigtopian market. Who really cares what happens domestically? I don't care what the case is with our domestic market, but we need to convince the Bigtopian market that we're sending them different vehicles, specifically for their market!"

[effect] the government is more concerned with protecting the rights of foreign ethnic minorities than their own
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NationStates' resident cockroach. I've been around forever, I'm a pest. I'm everywhere and you can't get rid of me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
Greek Australian----Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
My countryball, courtesy of Recaxa https://i.imgur.com/SPUTpra.png

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32068
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:45 pm

Bump
NationStates' resident cockroach. I've been around forever, I'm a pest. I'm everywhere and you can't get rid of me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
Greek Australian----Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
My countryball, courtesy of Recaxa https://i.imgur.com/SPUTpra.png

User avatar
Kractero
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 6502
Founded: May 08, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Kractero » Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:57 pm

The fact that the actual story of the issue is that an ethnic minority is trying to enter the wrong car takes away from the fact that the car biometric system itself might be discriminating against ethnic minorities, because the alarm would have been called regardless. I don't know how you could present this otherwise, because either

1) he owns the car and for some reason after going the biometric setup it still "locks them out"
or
2) he is mistaking a similar looking car for his and gets in trouble.

Also, locking them out of their cars vs sounding an alarm and calling the police is different. And for option 3, why would the minister of commerce sacrifice the domestic market for the foreign market when it would cost actually more money in news and propaganda than just to fix the problem and fix both markets at once?

Perhaps this same premise could work with Ring doorbells or home security systems flagging deliverymen as criminals or something instead?
Commended by SC Resolution 539, the rare cards c/c!
Pronounced crack-tear(as in the verb, rhymes with rare)-row, not crack-ter-row
Year in Cards 2025
NS Cards Discord
Zalak streamer's thoughts on recent events on Terra
Whether you like it or not, NS stats are canon

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32068
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 18, 2026 7:22 pm

Kractero wrote:The fact that the actual story of the issue is that an ethnic minority is trying to enter the wrong car takes away from the fact that the car biometric system itself might be discriminating against ethnic minorities, because the alarm would have been called regardless. I don't know how you could present this otherwise, because either

1) he owns the car and for some reason after going the biometric setup it still "locks them out"
or
2) he is mistaking a similar looking car for his and gets in trouble.

Thanks. He mistook a similar looking car for his own and got in trouble

Also, locking them out of their cars vs sounding an alarm and calling the police is different.

Thanks. But that's the point though. The person in option 1 is saying the car sounded an alarm and called the police on me because I'm Bigtopian. If I weren't a Bigtopian, I would have just been locked out and that would have been the end of it.

Is this not clear enough?


And for option 3, why would the minister of commerce sacrifice the domestic market for the foreign market when it would cost actually more money in news and propaganda than just to fix the problem and fix both markets at once?

Good point, thanks!

Perhaps this same premise could work with Ring doorbells or home security systems flagging deliverymen as criminals or something instead?

So you're saying that I should look into doorbells etc. instead of a car? I've seen ads for these types of products, and as a delivery driver myself, I have found problems with those ads. Maybe I could make that work...
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Sep 18, 2026 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates' resident cockroach. I've been around forever, I'm a pest. I'm everywhere and you can't get rid of me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
Greek Australian----Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
My countryball, courtesy of Recaxa https://i.imgur.com/SPUTpra.png

User avatar
Rejistania
Senator
 
Posts: 3691
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Rejistania » Sun Sep 20, 2026 5:41 pm

I think mandatory ID chips should also preclude this issue.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!


"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali muncipal-re-election ended in Syku Jdimi victory with 5.2%- Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands


This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32068
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:34 pm

It's probably not going to work. Abandoned!
NationStates' resident cockroach. I've been around forever, I'm a pest. I'm everywhere and you can't get rid of me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
Greek Australian----Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
My countryball, courtesy of Recaxa https://i.imgur.com/SPUTpra.png


Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads