NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Star Enpire
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 42
Founded: Feb 17, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Star Enpire » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:48 am

In issue 1771 "Isn’t There Someone You Forgot to Ask?", there appear to be some pronoun confusion:

1. “Oh, it just isn’t fair!” pitifully cries Wally Silva, who recently hired a mobster to beat their ex into ‘amenable jelly’. “I haven’t seen my worse half in years, but they still refuse to sign our split! Without that, I’m still married under Violet’s perfect will! I can’t remarry, I can’t date, I can’t even ask for a dance at the Heliotrope Jamboree without the congregation reaching for the adultery stones! I never wanted to resort to senseless violence but I had no choice! I beg you for mercy, Councillor-Enperor Pier II—require split signing for all separated Violet couples!”

2. “You’re can’t force me to sign anything,” sneers the offending ex in question while nursing their violet bruises with an ice pack. “The holy Mauve Marriage Memorandum is clear; Wally has given me no good cause to separate, so I have no reason to give consent for a split. Instead, your government should focus on arresting those heathen thugs who laid their hands on me. And lock away Wally while you’re at it—a little hard time and he will be crawling back as my grateful spouse, I’m sure.”


Option one refers to Wally's ex as "their ex", but option two refers back to Wally as "he".
One Page Summary
Notes on Starnian History
I use NS stats. Specifically these ones. Note that Population and GDP are not currently canon.

User avatar
Rejistania
Senator
 
Posts: 3687
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Rejistania » Sat Aug 29, 2026 12:23 pm

1864 assumes that leader uses an self-driving car when I chose to use a random car of the fleet and is "held together by bumper stickers supporting the opposition", so very much not a top of the line car. I don't know in which issue I selected that option.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!


"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali muncipal-re-election ended in Syku Jdimi victory with 5.2%- Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands


This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

User avatar
Lipizia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 552
Founded: May 01, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Lipizia » Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:51 am

In the problem 587, there's writen "a humanoid robot announced its intentions to serve as the nation’s first android federal judge". But not every nation is federal! I think that they're actually even a minority but who cares of that.
Last edited by Lipizia on Wed Sep 09, 2026 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16425
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Sep 11, 2026 9:15 pm

I wonder if the validity of issue #1821, "A Dilemma of (Musical) Note" could be looked to. My nation has banned the internet (I can see that in my policies), but my leader is being interviewed by a WhoTube personality, and -- while the personality could be famous outside of the nation -- option one indicates it will be viewed on a national scale "in a nationwide broadcast".

I suppose that it could be a televised interview by a domestically unknown WhoTuber (though the last option talks of breaking her camera), but considering the wording, I thought it worth raising.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Sep 11, 2026 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
TalAkMaChen
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1280
Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby TalAkMaChen » Sat Sep 12, 2026 11:16 am

Rejistania wrote:1864 assumes that leader uses an self-driving car when I chose to use a random car of the fleet and is "held together by bumper stickers supporting the opposition", so very much not a top of the line car. I don't know in which issue I selected that option.


The second one would be an effect from #1450.
Ser Ghez from Korbucci, President of TalAkMaChen

"It seems that sometimes I do get lost in details." — Ser Ghez, looking at annotations made to issues piling up on the desk

User avatar
Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories
Diplomat
 
Posts: 616
Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories » Sun Sep 13, 2026 7:45 am

Just had the Harry Potter Censorship Row issue crop up, and it got me to thinking it may be time to retire it. I think just about everyone is familiar with the author's tarnishing of her legacy at this point, which has definitely placed Potter into a much different cultural context than when the issue was written.

Further, the presence of a real-life intellectual property in an issue is a fairly significant break in what has become general practice for NS issues, and as it's an orphan issue with a binary choice and no follow-ups, its removal shouldn't have any mechanical knock-on effects.
Step by Step.
From the Desk of Ambassador Valentina Ironfoot,
Stalliongrad Office of Foreign Affairs,
Ministry of the Exterior,
Parlaiment House,
12 Revolution Blvd,
Stalliongrad ST19-3BQ,
The Socialist Republic of Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories

New Zepuha wrote:We have voted AGAINST this laudable act.
Khadgar wrote:
Randy F Marsh wrote:
most of the communist parties that are out there are incompatible with communism.


Well "Jack-booted Authoritarian Dick Party" is a tough sell.
⚧I'm a woman.⚧

User avatar
Almonaster Nuevo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8338
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Sep 13, 2026 1:29 pm

Generally Max's original issues are treated as untouchable.

Rather than lose it, why not just change the name to say Perry Hooter?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

User avatar
Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories
Diplomat
 
Posts: 616
Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories » Sun Sep 13, 2026 2:47 pm

Because that doesn't address the way in which the cultural discourse around the property has changed?

Back in the day the issue was about religious conservatives wanting the books banned, these days there's a very different cultural valence to them, and it's people on the other side of the aisle advocating boycotts etc due to their racist content, conservative themes, and the leverage of the wealth the IP generates for the conducting of an anti-civil rights campaign.

Times have moved on and the issue is outdated. Adjusting it to reflect how things have changed would likely be a huge wasp nest, so why not make a clean break of it?
Step by Step.
From the Desk of Ambassador Valentina Ironfoot,
Stalliongrad Office of Foreign Affairs,
Ministry of the Exterior,
Parlaiment House,
12 Revolution Blvd,
Stalliongrad ST19-3BQ,
The Socialist Republic of Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories

New Zepuha wrote:We have voted AGAINST this laudable act.
Khadgar wrote:
Randy F Marsh wrote:
most of the communist parties that are out there are incompatible with communism.


Well "Jack-booted Authoritarian Dick Party" is a tough sell.
⚧I'm a woman.⚧

User avatar
Too opressive
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 64
Founded: Aug 31, 2024
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Too opressive » Sun Sep 13, 2026 2:57 pm

Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories wrote:Because that doesn't address the way in which the cultural discourse around the property has changed?

Back in the day the issue was about religious conservatives wanting the books banned, these days there's a very different cultural valence to them, and it's people on the other side of the aisle advocating boycotts etc due to their racist content, conservative themes, and the leverage of the wealth the IP generates for the conducting of an anti-civil rights campaign.

Times have moved on and the issue is outdated. Adjusting it to reflect how things have changed would likely be a huge wasp nest, so why not make a clean break of it?


Issues reflect their times. When nations begin, they end up with what NS looked like at the start, and progress through the issues (kind of). This gives nations a way to experience both the way NS was while also having their own ages reflecting the decisions they make over periods of time.

I've also realized that you could just add an option voicing modern concern and be done with it, but that's no fun. My take is just to let the past be, and not ry and rewrite it. Otherwise, you could cause a rift between those who remember before and those who only know after
I'm an interesting person, to say the least. Here's how interesting I am:
WE ARE YOUR RECKO- sorry about that, someone sat on the keyboard again
At this point, nothing can surprise me-*sees the forums*
You owe us money. Pay up!

We get hectic daily in The Global Elite
He/him, straight, and cis.
Family Guy and South Park are some of the best shows out there.
We are nation dedicated to oppressing the living hell out of everyone, creating the worst form of equality: having no rights to compare

User avatar
Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories
Diplomat
 
Posts: 616
Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories » Sun Sep 13, 2026 3:08 pm

Too opressive wrote:
Issues reflect their times. When nations begin, they end up with what NS looked like at the start, and progress through the issues (kind of). This gives nations a way to experience both the way NS was while also having their own ages reflecting the decisions they make over periods of time.

I've also realized that you could just add an option voicing modern concern and be done with it, but that's no fun. My take is just to let the past be, and not ry and rewrite it. Otherwise, you could cause a rift between those who remember before and those who only know after


A rift between those who remember before and those who only know after? What on earth are you talking about? That's a nonsense argument you could deploy to argue against ever revising anything.

Never updating the new player experience creates a barrier to entry, particularly when issues relate to outdated pop culture references.
Step by Step.
From the Desk of Ambassador Valentina Ironfoot,
Stalliongrad Office of Foreign Affairs,
Ministry of the Exterior,
Parlaiment House,
12 Revolution Blvd,
Stalliongrad ST19-3BQ,
The Socialist Republic of Stalliongrad and Far-Eastern Territories

New Zepuha wrote:We have voted AGAINST this laudable act.
Khadgar wrote:
Randy F Marsh wrote:
most of the communist parties that are out there are incompatible with communism.


Well "Jack-booted Authoritarian Dick Party" is a tough sell.
⚧I'm a woman.⚧

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 17038
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Sep 13, 2026 11:13 pm

Absent a directive from Max himself, we're not going to remove or significantly alter one of his issues.

The root problem of that issue is censorship. The shift in public opinion of JK Rowling does not change the dilemma presented.
"The reason I want you to get better at chess isn't for you, isn't so you're proud of yourself, and your friends are proud of you, and you did something with your life. It's so you can understand better how bad f4 is." - Ben Finegold

User avatar
Kispaming
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Jul 13, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kispaming » Tue Sep 15, 2026 12:14 am

Issue: Crawling On My Skin (1765)

There seems to be a grammatical gender problem in the second choice:
“You think I chose this?” retorts the pockmarked visage of the travel critic in question, Victoria Taffs, who in fact chose to sleep in the infamous, bug-infested “No-Tell Mo-Tel” last month before embarking on his review tour. “I gave a nasty hovel my business and now my wallet is on the line? Hotels oughta be held responsible for harboring the infestation! Tell you what, you should force the penny-pinching padrones at the No-Tell Mo-Tel to pay for fumigating my pad.” She takes a gander at your expensive divan. “Mind if I have a seat?”

The name seems to be generating from the female pool of names. The first pronoun is male, and the last one is female.

User avatar
Brezzia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 489
Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Brezzia » Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:25 am

Issue: Apostropocalypse Now (1,563)

Maybe it's not a topic for this thread. This issue is extremely anglocentric. The game does not let user set a national language, but assuming every nation is English speaking is like considering other languages do not exist at all.
★ Brezzian Workes' Council Republic ★
4th Best Nation in the World of 2024
Enjoy a true Left-wing Utopia in NationStates
Our Socialist Paradise Welcomes You!
Open an embassy >>here<<
Strengthen our cooperation >>here<<

User avatar
The Grass Cult
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 9
Founded: Jun 14, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Grass Cult » Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:47 pm

Issue: Cyclist? More Like Cycle-Pest (1826)

The second option (visible to me), wherein a doctor recommends banning propelled vehicles, uses the wrong demonym, being the adjective instead of the noun.
In my nation, this displays "Imagine how the average Grass’s cardiovascular health will improve", instead of "Imagine how the average Grassling’s cardiovascular health will improve".
Last edited by The Grass Cult on Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kractero
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 6482
Founded: May 08, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Kractero » Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:50 pm

The Grass Cult wrote:Issue: Cyclist? More Like Cycle-Pest (1826)

The second option (visible to me), wherein a doctor recommends banning propelled vehicles, uses the wrong demonym, being the adjective instead of the noun.
In my nation, this displays "Imagine how the average Grass’s cardiovascular health will improve", instead of "Imagine how the average Grassling’s cardiovascular health will improve".
Kispaming wrote:Issue: Crawling On My Skin (1765)

There seems to be a grammatical gender problem in the second choice:
“You think I chose this?” retorts the pockmarked visage of the travel critic in question, Victoria Taffs, who in fact chose to sleep in the infamous, bug-infested “No-Tell Mo-Tel” last month before embarking on his review tour. “I gave a nasty hovel my business and now my wallet is on the line? Hotels oughta be held responsible for harboring the infestation! Tell you what, you should force the penny-pinching padrones at the No-Tell Mo-Tel to pay for fumigating my pad.” She takes a gander at your expensive divan. “Mind if I have a seat?”

The name seems to be generating from the female pool of names. The first pronoun is male, and the last one is female.

Got them
Commended by SC Resolution 539, the rare cards c/c!
Pronounced crack-tear(as in the verb, rhymes with rare)-row, not crack-ter-row
Year in Cards 2025
NS Cards Discord
Zalak streamer's thoughts on recent events on Terra
Whether you like it or not, NS stats are canon

User avatar
Tikitikiphonkland
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Aug 29, 2026
Right-wing Utopia

Issue 367 possible typo

Postby Tikitikiphonkland » Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:01 pm

After Feels the aura meat was found in the popular beef lasagne sold by supermarket Humongo-Mart, a scandal has erupted over lax food safety standards.

Lasagne should be lasagna. Correct me if I’m wrong
TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI

User avatar
Dexterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4079
Founded: May 05, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:37 pm

Tikitikiphonkland wrote:
After Feels the aura meat was found in the popular beef lasagne sold by supermarket Humongo-Mart, a scandal has erupted over lax food safety standards.

Lasagne should be lasagna. Correct me if I’m wrong

'Lasagne' is the plural of 'lasagna.'

User avatar
Tikitikiphonkland
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Aug 29, 2026
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Tikitikiphonkland » Thu Sep 17, 2026 7:41 pm

Dexterra wrote:
Tikitikiphonkland wrote:Lasagne should be lasagna. Correct me if I’m wrong

'Lasagne' is the plural of 'lasagna.'

Sorry I was once esl and I thought lasanga plural is lasagnas
TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI TIKI

User avatar
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11290
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:36 pm

I thought that lasagna was a mass noun, like "water" or "bread".

User avatar
Almonaster Nuevo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8338
Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Sep 18, 2026 12:39 am

Tikitikiphonkland wrote:
Dexterra wrote:Sorry I was once esl and I thought lasanga plural is lasagnas


A lot of people do.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

User avatar
TalAkMaChen
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1280
Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby TalAkMaChen » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:49 am

I got the new #1867 on several nations with the "no automobiles" policy. How? Cares are not legal in those nations, why then bother about cheap imports? The issue is not just about producing cars for export, but having them in @@name@@ - thus, nations without cars should not get that issue at all.
Ser Ghez from Korbucci, President of TalAkMaChen

"It seems that sometimes I do get lost in details." — Ser Ghez, looking at annotations made to issues piling up on the desk

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 17038
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Sep 22, 2026 3:22 pm

TalAkMaChen wrote:I got the new #1867 on several nations with the "no automobiles" policy. How? Cares are not legal in those nations, why then bother about cheap imports? The issue is not just about producing cars for export, but having them in @@name@@ - thus, nations without cars should not get that issue at all.

I see the problem. Pinged admin to fix something on the backend.

This has been fixed.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Wed Sep 23, 2026 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The reason I want you to get better at chess isn't for you, isn't so you're proud of yourself, and your friends are proud of you, and you did something with your life. It's so you can understand better how bad f4 is." - Ben Finegold

User avatar
Brezzia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 489
Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Brezzia » Fri Sep 25, 2026 12:39 am

Issue: A Crypto for the Comrades? (1,482)

Option 3 starts with “Maybe those United Federation dogs have the right idea,” but it does not explain what idea. The character changes the topic (“The truth of the matter is that [..]").
★ Brezzian Workes' Council Republic ★
4th Best Nation in the World of 2024
Enjoy a true Left-wing Utopia in NationStates
Our Socialist Paradise Welcomes You!
Open an embassy >>here<<
Strengthen our cooperation >>here<<

User avatar
East Chimore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 367
Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby East Chimore » Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:25 am

Image
Got this answering issue 153 A Taxing Dilemma choosing to keep taxes in place. Is this intended behavior?
Chimore, She/They
Silver Dragon | Empress | Holy Director

Reveler of Bacchism, N Day 10 & N Day 12 Winner
The Seeker of Power wrote: Most of the people in this place often forget this is supposed to be fun. They call it "Game" for a reason.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11290
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 25, 2026 10:55 am

Probably #1868 4: "swat teams risk their lives confiscating children's stick weapons" -> "SWAT" is an acronym, so it should be in all-caps.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nehawka

Advertisement

Remove ads