NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Marshalling a Mile-High Problem

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Marshalling a Mile-High Problem

Postby Chan Island » Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 am

After an air marshal on a domestic flight pulled a handgun arresting a 6 month old baby for 'auditory terrorism', the nation's fliers, criers and people passing to say hi have all jetting to your office with opinions.

validity: puts police on airplanes

[option] "The problem is that this officer was clearly bored," explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, criminology professor at the University of Somewhere-In-@@NAME@@ over the marshal in question. "And no wonder. Not a single incident has happened on flights since we adopted the air marshal program... because crime on airplanes is very, very rare. My research has shown that withdrawing the air marshals and assigning them to other duties would have a much more substantial impact on public safety. Let airport screenings do the heavy lifting. Air passengers will be fine."
[effect] commercial flights are a lawless wasteland of butter knives and crying babies

[option] "The issue was that he didn't have the mental strength!" cries self-proclaimed @@NAME@@'s best air marshal over his colleague, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, with an impressive tally of 172 uneventful journeys under his belt. "Not many people know this, but terrorists are masters of disguise. Sometimes they even look like people! Only the most determined, eagle-eyed and dedicated recruits are fit for such a dangerous position."
[effect] the nation's best detectives read murder mysteries on the @@CAPITAL@@ to @@ANIMAL@@ City short-haul.

[option] Before the marshal in question can speak, @@RANDOMNAME@@, the person with the most @@DENONYM@@ Airways frequent flyer miles, butts in, "Obviously we're missing the real problem about him. And that's that it took him so long to get on a flight! And why do we even put cops on the jets when we screen everybody at the airport anyway, taking away my right to carry a vintage 2008 fully auto? Seems simple to me. Get rid of the ground security, and give the air marshal a second clip. Everybody happy!"
[effect] a flight is considered boring without at least 1 shooting

[option] "LET ME SPEAK!" screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, the officer who caused the incident in the first place, pulling their gun on everybody. "THANK YOU. ...Look, @@LEADER@@, trust me when I say that I acted completely within my rights. That little windbag had been crying for 15 minutes straight. Sure, maybe I acted a bit hastily, but I was on my own in a serious developing situation. Get me some backup - ideally a better conversationalist than that granny from @@CURRENCY@@ Bay- and we'll keep the skies clear.
[effect] thousands of action movie fans have applied to join the 'air cops'
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Can we assume that nation has air marshals?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat May 23, 2020 7:13 pm

I think the validity takes care of that
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Can we assume that nation calls them air marshals?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat May 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Can we assume that nation calls them air marshals?

I don’t really know. We also assume the police are called the police, but I suppose that isn’t the same.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Can we assume that nation calls them air marshals?

Air marshals is the only name I really know of, so that's what I'm going with.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:12 am

Sky marshal, air marshal, or flight marshal, apparently. Naming them air marshals is fine.

Option 3 feels a bit contradictory: we know it's a passenger speaking, saying 'why do we even put cops on planes' (assuming he wants the cops to be gone), then switching his point to 'taking away my right to carry' (assuming he wants guns on planes for everyone), only to conclude 'get rid of the ground security and give the air marshal a second clip'. Not only does he want the air cops to stick around, he also isn't adamant on his 'guns for everyone' take.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:16 am

After an air marshal on a domestic flight pulled a handgun arresting a 6 month old baby for 'auditory terrorism', the nation's fliers, criers and people passing to say hi have all jetting to your office with opinions.

Said marshal gets fired and probably prosecuted.

Not really anything here that needs a government decision.

And this bit here...

the nation's fliers, criers and people passing to say hi have all jetting to your office with opinions.

...shows that YOU know that too.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?