NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] On Speaking Terms

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] On Speaking Terms

Postby The Sapmi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:34 am

Draft 2
Validity: Must be in the top 25% for Social Conservatism and top 30% for authoritarianism.

Description
As of recent, the vocabulary of the youth in @@NATION@@ has been shifting from that used by older people. With much of this slang coming from slums and majority-Bigtopian homes, the older generation has become a vocal opposition to this. With such slang usage showing no sign of dying out, the calls for a language academy to maintain @@DENONYM@@-only influence within @@NATION@@ have gone from fringe-support to nationwide debate.

Option 1:
"I am shocked at what has happened to the @@DENONYM@@ language!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, the leader of a self-proclaimed @@DENONYM@@ language academy. "Back in my day, we knew how to clearly speak and write with flair! Now all we have is a declining tongue, soon to become a Bigtopian creole! Please, Leader, enforce this to save our language!"
Effect: Centuries in the future, language courses for the language the @@DENONYM@@ curriculum is taught in are commonplace.

Option 2:
"Should we do that, though?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the homeless leader of the @@DENONYM@@ Bigtopian Society. "Language naturally evolves all the time, and we shouldn't stop its progression now just because it scratched a few cats. You can't deny that not all changes are bad, so prevent these from coming about?
Effect: Words said by more than three people enter the @@CAPITAL@@ University dictionary.

Option 3:
"Of course this has happened without proper measures." says @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, leader of the famous @@SURNAME_1@@U university. "Simply shaming them won't prevent this decay. Instead, we should make it official: all usage of swear words or slang in @@DENONYM@@ school shall be punished. This'll give @@DENONYM@@ students a much larger lexicon and overall improve our literacy."
Effect: Mean older siblings teach their younger siblings swear words to get them in trouble at schools.

Option 4:
"Or you could just classify these as separate languages" says your minister for overcomplication, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean, these languages show diverging words and phoneme inventories. If Qelpan and Mistani are classified as separate languages, so too should @@DENONYM@@ and Domarian!
Effect: Replacing Zs with Qs makes a new official language.

Draft 1:
Validity: Must be in the top 25% for Social Conservatism and top 40% for authoritarianism.

Description
As of recent, the tongue used by many younger people in @@NATION@@ has been shifting away from the tongue used by the older generation. Whilst both can still understand each other, the heavy increase in slang usage from the younger of the two, much of which is derived from slums and 'ghettos' has dismayed many influential people. After a heated argument occurred between a teacher and a student (both supporting one side of the debate) rocked social media, the debate has finally come to you to decide.

Option 1:
"I am shocked at what has happened to the @@DENONYM@@ language!" crys @@RANDOMNAME@@, the teacher. "Back in my day, we knew what case to use, how to spell and how to be understood through speech! Now all we have is a declining tongue, soon to become a Bigtopian creole! Please, Leader, enforce this to save our language!"
Effect: Centuries in the future, language courses for the language the @@DENONYM@@ curriculum is taught in are commonplace.

Option 2:
"Should we do that, though?" asks the student, @@RANDOMNAME@@, in a way that made the teacher recoil in disgust. "Language naturally evolves all the time, and we shouldn't stop its progression now just because it scratched a few cats. Did you know that the past plural wasn't around in Old @@DENONYM@@? You can't deny that not all changes are bad, so prevent these from coming about?
Effect: Words said by more than three people enter the @@CAPITAL@@ University dictionary.

Option 3:
"Of course this has happened without proper measures." says @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, leader of the famous @@SURNAME_1@@U university. "Simply shaming them won't prevent this decay. Instead, we should make it official: all usage of swear words or slang in @@DENONYM@@ school shall be punished. This'll give @@DENONYM@@ students a much larger lexicon and overall improve our literacy."
Effect: Mean older siblings teach their younger siblings swear words to get them in trouble at schools.

Option 4:
"Or you could just classify these as separate languages" says your minister for overcomplication, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean, these languages show diverging grammar, word orders and phoneme inventories. Numerous students are taking positions on both ends of the spectrum. If Qelpan and Mistani are classified as separate languages, so too should @@DENONYM@@ and Domarian!
Effect: Replacing Zs with Qs makes a new official language
Last edited by The Sapmi on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
News for March 2088:
International News: Growth of world market slowest since 2074 | European Federation announces complete unification to occur within the century | Hispaniola wins the 2088 World Cup, the first Carribean Nation to do so

Local News: Terrorist attack in Finnmark leads 84 dead, week of mourning instituted | Call for vote of no-confidence held off as Bjorn Handal's approval rate surges to 51%

The Rundown: The Saami Commonwealth is a nation located in Northern Scandinavia that declared independence in 2052. Factbooks are factual, most NationStates statistics are not

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:54 pm

I speak in a very Laconic to-the-point manner, without beating around the bush. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I do not intend for it to be offensive:

I don't know why this would make it to @@LEADER@@'s desk, and even if it did nobody would choose anything except option 2. People have known about language evolution for centuries. Dante Alighieri even makes reference to the concept in his Divine Comedy- a poem which dates back to the fourteenth century AD, nearly 700 years ago. And that's the oldest reference I know about. For all I know, there might be even older references than that, even if there wasn't, it doesn't mean they didn't know about it, it means they didn't write about. Who even knows how long we've known about language evolution?

This brings me to my second point. Almost every major language has an official government department dedicated to overseeing the evolution of said language. This department is tasked with trying to determine what's a result of evolution vs what's a result of wrong spelling/grammar. In fact, English is pretty much the only language lacking such a department, and as such, the Oxford dictionary serves as the de facto of this department, so even if you desired to make this issue about how the denonym language is evolving, I'm affraid that that's no leader's problem. Hell, not even in George Orwell's book 1984 was Big Borther responsible for evolving the language. That was the responsibility of the ministry of truth. 300 years ago, this might have been an issue (and I'm not even sure about that), in the 21st century it most certainly isn't. That is, unless you work in the department who determines how the language evolves. In which case, that's your (daily?) profession, and every (day?) (I don't know how often these people work) you would confront this issue, because that's what you do for a living
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Sorry
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:09 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I speak in a very Laconic to-the-point manner, without beating around the bush. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I do not intend for it to be offensive:

I don't know why this would make it to @@LEADER@@'s desk, and even if it did nobody would choose anything except option 2. People have known about language evolution for centuries. Dante Alighieri even makes reference to the concept in his Divine Comedy- a poem which dates back to the fourteenth century AD, nearly 700 years ago. And that's the oldest reference I know about. For all I know, there might be even older references than that, even if there wasn't, it doesn't mean they didn't know about it, it means they didn't write about. Who even knows how long we've known about language evolution?

I understand your fear, and I can agree to a certain extent; my very original idea was to have it only be about vocabulary, and maybe that is what it should be changed back to. But of course, remember how this issue is made valid; top 40% authoritarianism and top 25% social conservatism: this means that the people do not like change as much as a progressive and they are starting to look up to the leader more.

This brings me to my second point. Almost every major language has an official government department dedicated to overseeing the evolution of said language. This department is tasked with trying to determine what's a result of evolution vs what's a result of wrong spelling/grammar. In fact, English is pretty much the only language lacking such a department, and as such, the Oxford dictionary serves as the de facto of this department, so even if you desired to make this issue about how the denonym language is evolving, I'm afraid that that's no leader's problem. Hell, not even in George Orwell's book 1984 was Big Borther responsible for evolving the language. That was the responsibility of the ministry of truth. 300 years ago, this might have been an issue (and I'm not even sure about that), in the 21st century it most certainly isn't. That is, unless you work in the department who determines how the language evolves. In which case, that's your (daily?) profession, and every (day?) (I don't know how often these people work) you would confront this issue, because that's what you do for a living

Yeah, maybe I should make it more about a possible language academy, along with the aforementioned change about lessening the amount of changes.

Australian rePublic wrote:Sorry

No need to apologise.
News for March 2088:
International News: Growth of world market slowest since 2074 | European Federation announces complete unification to occur within the century | Hispaniola wins the 2088 World Cup, the first Carribean Nation to do so

Local News: Terrorist attack in Finnmark leads 84 dead, week of mourning instituted | Call for vote of no-confidence held off as Bjorn Handal's approval rate surges to 51%

The Rundown: The Saami Commonwealth is a nation located in Northern Scandinavia that declared independence in 2052. Factbooks are factual, most NationStates statistics are not

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:10 am

The Sapmi wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I speak in a very Laconic to-the-point manner, without beating around the bush. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I do not intend for it to be offensive:

I understand your fear, and I can agree to a certain extent; my very original idea was to have it only be about vocabulary, and maybe that is what it should be changed back to. But of course, remember how this issue is made valid; top 40% authoritarianism and top 25% social conservatism: this means that the people do not like change as much as a progressive and they are starting to look up to the leader more.

This brings me to my second point. Almost every major language has an official government department dedicated to overseeing the evolution of said language. This department is tasked with trying to determine what's a result of evolution vs what's a result of wrong spelling/grammar. In fact, English is pretty much the only language lacking such a department, and as such, the Oxford dictionary serves as the de facto of this department, so even if you desired to make this issue about how the denonym language is evolving, I'm afraid that that's no leader's problem. Hell, not even in George Orwell's book 1984 was Big Borther responsible for evolving the language. That was the responsibility of the ministry of truth. 300 years ago, this might have been an issue (and I'm not even sure about that), in the 21st century it most certainly isn't. That is, unless you work in the department who determines how the language evolves. In which case, that's your (daily?) profession, and every (day?) (I don't know how often these people work) you would confront this issue, because that's what you do for a living

Yeah, maybe I should make it more about a possible language academy, along with the aforementioned change about lessening the amount of changes.

Australian rePublic wrote:Sorry

No need to apologise.

Once again not leader's proble.

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:14 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Sapmi wrote:

No need to apologise.

Once again not leader's proble.

Founding a language academy in a more authoritarian state is.
News for March 2088:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 am

We have some existing issues that discuss the language of @@NAME@@, so the subject is not too trivial or irrelevant to write about, but you do need to watch out for overlaps. There is #1175 about borrowed foreign words, for instance.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 pm

The Sapmi wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Once again not leader's proble.

Founding a language academy in a more authoritarian state is.

Yes, but in that case, your goal is to mould langauge evolution to suit your agenda, not to stop evolution altogether. In which case, you would still choose option 2, but option 2 in a way that suits us
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 am

The Sapmi wrote:Founding a language academy in a more authoritarian state is.

Yes, but in that case, your goal is to mould langauge evolution to suit your agenda, not to stop evolution altogether. In which case, you would still choose option 2, but option 2 in a way that suits us

I've remedied those fears in my 2nd draft. Now the proposed language academy is only on the same level of evolution-stopping as the L'Academie Française.
News for March 2088:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:37 am

The Sapmi wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Yes, but in that case, your goal is to mould langauge evolution to suit your agenda, not to stop evolution altogether. In which case, you would still choose option 2, but option 2 in a way that suits us

I've remedied those fears in my 2nd draft. Now the proposed language academy is only on the same level of evolution-stopping as the L'Academie Française.

You don't want to stop evolution, you want evolution to happening but to manipulate it in your favour. Think NewSpeak

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:39 am

What do you mean?
News for March 2088:

Tarchuna and Ravenna
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarchuna and Ravenna » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:43 am

The Sapmi wrote:Draft 2
Validity: Must be in the top 25% for Social Conservatism and top 30% for authoritarianism.

Description
As of recent, the vocabulary of the youth in @@NATION@@ has been shifting from that used by older people. With much of this slang coming from slums and majority-Bigtopian homes, the older generation has become a vocal opposition to this. With such slang usage showing no sign of dying out, the calls for a language academy to maintain @@DENONYM@@-only influence within @@NATION@@ have gone from fringe-support to nationwide debate.

Option 1:
"I am shocked at what has happened to the @@DENONYM@@ language!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, the leader of a self-proclaimed @@DENONYM@@ language academy. "Back in my day, we knew how to clearly speak and write with flair! Now all we have is a declining tongue, soon to become a Bigtopian creole! Please, Leader, enforce this to save our language!"

Option 2:
"Should we do that, though?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the homeless leader of the @@DENONYM@@ Bigtopian Society. "Language naturally evolves all the time, and we shouldn't stop its progression now just because it scratched a few cats. You can't deny that not all changes are bad, so prevent these from coming about?

Option 3:

Option 4:
"Or you could just classify these as separate languages" says your minister for overcomplication, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean, these languages show diverging words and phoneme inventories. If Qelpan and Mistani are classified as separate languages, so too should @@DENONYM@@ and Domarian!
Effect: Replacing Zs with Qs makes a new official language.

Draft 1:
Validity: Must be in the top 25% for Social Conservatism and top 40% for authoritarianism.

Description
As of recent, the tongue used by many younger people in @@NATION@@ has been shifting away from the tongue used by the older generation. Whilst both can still understand each other, the heavy increase in slang usage from the younger of the two, much of which is derived from slums and 'ghettos' has dismayed many influential people. After a heated argument occurred between a teacher and a student (both supporting one side of the debate) rocked social media, the debate has finally come to you to decide.

Option 1:
"I am shocked at what has happened to the @@DENONYM@@ language!" crys @@RANDOMNAME@@, the teacher. "Back in my day, we knew what case to use, how to spell and how to be understood through speech! Now all we have is a declining tongue, soon to become a Bigtopian creole! Please, Leader, enforce this to save our language!"

Option 2:
"Should we do that, though?" asks the student, @@RANDOMNAME@@, in a way that made the teacher recoil in disgust. "Language naturally evolves all the time, and we shouldn't stop its progression now just because it scratched a few cats. Did you know that the past plural wasn't around in Old @@DENONYM@@? You can't deny that not all changes are bad, so prevent these from coming about?

Option 3:

Option 4:
"Or you could just classify these as separate languages" says your minister for overcomplication, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I mean, these languages show diverging grammar, word orders and phoneme inventories. Numerous students are taking positions on both ends of the spectrum. If Qelpan and Mistani are classified as separate languages, so too should @@DENONYM@@ and Domarian!
Effect: Replacing Zs with Qs makes a new official language

An interesting issue. I approve.

(By the way can you go to my issue draft? It is called “We, the Mighty, must do our Duty?”)

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:45 am

Of course.
News for March 2088:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 am

The Sapmi wrote:What do you mean?

Look into NewSpeak

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:06 am

I know what Newspeak is, I just don't understand the comparison. I'm not for the language academy, it's just an idea that hasn't been done yet to my knowledge.
News for March 2088:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

The Sapmi wrote:I know what Newspeak is, I just don't understand the comparison. I'm not for the language academy, it's just an idea that hasn't been done yet to my knowledge.

NewSpeak is deliberate language evolution. As is the solution to the problem you're proposing

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:15 pm

The Sapmi wrote:I know what Newspeak is, I just don't understand the comparison. I'm not for the language academy, it's just an idea that hasn't been done yet to my knowledge.

NewSpeak is deliberate language evolution. As is the solution to the problem you're proposing

Now it is on the same level as L'Academie Française. And I doubt that French is that inadequate to describe democracy or religion.
News for March 2088:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?