NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1448
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:Issue 1015 option 1, refers to the non existent World Assembly Criminal Court, the correct committee currently is the World Assembly Judiciary Committee. Also, this option shouldnt be available for nations not in the WA, but im not sure if thats the case because I am in the WA on this nation.

This issue has been amended. It no longer references the WA.

Well, that is certainly a better choice.
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, and GA#470

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
The Winnish Warlands
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Winnish Warlands » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 am

Should it be possible to receive Issue #175 on a country that has banned sex? Or a country that enforces atheism? Said issue is the one regarding adultery, and also utilizes sin as the reason why adultery is bad.

Issue Fulltext with Italicized References to Questionable Points

The Issue

The highly moral and religious pressure group ‘Cuckolds And Cuckqueans Anonymous’ has lobbied for the criminalisation of adultery.

The Debate

“Whatever happened to the sanctity of marriage?” asks Clint Kelly while wearing a T-shirt bearing the slogan ‘Marriage is for life, not just for anniversaries’. “Whatever happened to lifelong companionship? Whatever happened to simple faithfulness because of love?! Adultery seems to be more of a hobby than anything these days! The government must impose the utmost punishments on those who commit this sin. A good old-fashioned stoning should sort it!”

“I don’t agree with adultery either,” says Jane Rice, a passer-by. “But, uh... stoning? You don’t think that’s a little extreme? If we find someone guilty of fornication we can just lock them up in jail. That way no-one gets killed and the sinners get justice. It’s more expensive to the tax payers than a stoning of course, but I reckon it’s worth it.”

“With the greatest of respect, this is none of your business!” yells Sherlock Yew who is rumoured to have had more than a thousand lovers and even more children. “The government has no right to go about trying to dictate the laws of love and romance! Marriages break down, people move on - is it really the government’s place to make people stay put? You must recognise the fact that the law has no place within the bedroom!”
This is just a military puppet. Move along. If you seek the hand that controls, look no further than DrWinner. Good day.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19917
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 am

The Winnish Warlands wrote:Should it be possible to receive Issue #175 on a country that has banned sex?


It already isn't possible. Please limit reports to instances where you have spotted an error occurring, rather than presuming one exists.

Or a country that enforces atheism? Said issue is the one regarding adultery, and also utilizes sin as the reason why adultery is bad.


Atheists can use the word "sin", in the same way that non-adherents to the Dodekatheon still use the word "Herculean". It's just a word.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Winnish Warlands
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Winnish Warlands » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The Winnish Warlands wrote:Should it be possible to receive Issue #175 on a country that has banned sex?


It already isn't possible. Please limit reports to instances where you have spotted an error occurring, rather than presuming one exists.


My apologies, I must not have been clear. I phoned this in because I received the above issue on this nation, which has indeed banned sex according to the policies page. If it is indeed impossible, am I reading the policies page wrong, or did an error occur?
This is just a military puppet. Move along. If you seek the hand that controls, look no further than DrWinner. Good day.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19917
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:05 pm

Hmmm...

You're right, sorry.

Looks like a change we requested has not happened. We track nations that have banned all recreational sex with a policy called "No Sex". We also track nations that have banned reproductive sex called "Vat People". Your nation has banned biological reproduction but not recreational sex.

The banner "No Sex" triggers off the policy "Vat People", which it shouldn't, given than banning sex is something separate.

We've asked for the No Sex banner to be renamed, but it looks to be another pending task. Sorry for the confusion.

User avatar
The Winnish Warlands
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Winnish Warlands » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hmmm...

You're right, sorry.

Looks like a change we requested has not happened. We track nations that have banned all recreational sex with a policy called "No Sex". We also track nations that have banned reproductive sex called "Vat People". Your nation has banned biological reproduction but not recreational sex.

The banner "No Sex" triggers off the policy "Vat People", which it shouldn't, given than banning sex is something separate.

We've asked for the No Sex banner to be renamed, but it looks to be another pending task. Sorry for the confusion.


You needn’t apologize. Glad I could see what’s up. Keep up the great work.
This is just a military puppet. Move along. If you seek the hand that controls, look no further than DrWinner. Good day.

User avatar
Olde Carolina
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Olde Carolina » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 am

Issue 780 - whether to ban value added tax
I opted to end the tax, but the result was that taxes went up. How does this make sense? Ending a tax should lower taxes.

Issue 734 - Whether to allow beverage companies to use misleading advertising
The results from this one are also backwards. Beverage Companies are making lots of profits because they are falsely claiming to have health benefits. I opted for government regulation that would ban misleading health claims. This resulted in the newspaper article "soda sales see sweet surge," my beverage industry rating went up, and health went down.
Joe Biden for president 2020

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 10367
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:02 am

Olde Carolina wrote:Issue 780 - whether to ban value added tax
I opted to end the tax, but the result was that taxes went up. How does this make sense? Ending a tax should lower taxes.

Issue 734 - Whether to allow beverage companies to use misleading advertising
The results from this one are also backwards. Beverage Companies are making lots of profits because they are falsely claiming to have health benefits. I opted for government regulation that would ban misleading health claims. This resulted in the newspaper article "soda sales see sweet surge," my beverage industry rating went up, and health went down.

For future reference, this is the thread to ask about unusual issue effects.

Regarding 780, we are aware that taxation is a limitation in the simulation, relating only to income tax as explained in the OP of the correct thread under: "Why didn't tax / unemployment / black market do what I expected it to?"

Regarding 734, your beverage sales increased (which was a secondary effect, caused by other stats input -- correctly -- into the issue interacting with your own stats) fractionally, from 7,280.04 to 7,288.52 (or 0.12%). This is within the margin that is possible from this issue (other nations may fall or experience no chance). My records show that Health (also a secondary stat, which editors do not directly control) did not change as a result of this issue.

There is nothing unusual about these effects.

EDIT: When reporting to the correct thread, we need the name/number of the issue, the option you picked, the effect that may be unusual, the date (if not today) and the nation (if you answered by a puppet).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
The Wessex Islands
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 15, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Wessex Islands » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:08 am

Issue 656 option 3 reads: "we liberally irradiate the bank-notes, and watch as the hostage-takers, their associates and their families die from radiation poisoning."
However, irradiating the bank notes before delivering them would not do this, as the notes would not become radioactive (so the hostage-takers themselves would not actually be irradiated). Instead, the notes would have to be contaminated with radioactive material.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 10367
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 am

The Wessex Islands wrote:Issue 656 option 3 reads: "we liberally irradiate the bank-notes, and watch as the hostage-takers, their associates and their families die from radiation poisoning."
However, irradiating the bank notes before delivering them would not do this, as the notes would not become radioactive (so the hostage-takers themselves would not actually be irradiated). Instead, the notes would have to be contaminated with radioactive material.

Having conferred with a colleague, we feel that -- although not technically perfect -- "irradiate" is being used as generally understood in common parlance (which is acceptable, as speakers don't have to speak in perfect English), and comprehensible within the context of the option.

Another editor may see it differently. But, for now, no amendment has been changed.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19917
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:47 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
The Wessex Islands wrote:Issue 656 option 3 reads: "we liberally irradiate the bank-notes, and watch as the hostage-takers, their associates and their families die from radiation poisoning."
However, irradiating the bank notes before delivering them would not do this, as the notes would not become radioactive (so the hostage-takers themselves would not actually be irradiated). Instead, the notes would have to be contaminated with radioactive material.

Having conferred with a colleague, we feel that -- although not technically perfect -- "irradiate" is being used as generally understood in common parlance (which is acceptable, as speakers don't have to speak in perfect English), and comprehensible within the context of the option.

Another editor may see it differently. But, for now, no amendment has been changed.


As the speaker is a scientist, I have no objection to it being changed.

"liberally contaminate the bank-notes with radioactive material" works fine for me, if that's okay for you, FJS.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28330
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:14 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Having conferred with a colleague, we feel that -- although not technically perfect -- "irradiate" is being used as generally understood in common parlance (which is acceptable, as speakers don't have to speak in perfect English), and comprehensible within the context of the option.

Another editor may see it differently. But, for now, no amendment has been changed.


As the speaker is a scientist, I have no objection to it being changed.

"liberally contaminate the bank-notes with radioactive material" works fine for me, if that's okay for you, FJS.


Maybe take out "liberally" so it's less of a mouthful?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19917
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Okay done!

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1448
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:15 am

In 671 there is a large breach of player autonomy in the description.
While perusing the grand governmental libraries for the popular graphic novel, “Jee, Gnomes!”, you come across numerous documents pertaining to the field of genetic engineering — manipulating the genetic code that dictates the characteristics of all biological life. In a barely comprehensible scientific paper, you read of a proposal to allow the patenting of DNA sequences. Realising that the government has yet to take an official stance, you call together a number of experts in the field that are willing to debate the topic.
The Debate
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, and GA#470

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7374
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:In 671 there is a large breach of player autonomy in the description.
While perusing the grand governmental libraries for the popular graphic novel, “Jee, Gnomes!”, you come across numerous documents pertaining to the field of genetic engineering — manipulating the genetic code that dictates the characteristics of all biological life. In a barely comprehensible scientific paper, you read of a proposal to allow the patenting of DNA sequences. Realising that the government has yet to take an official stance, you call together a number of experts in the field that are willing to debate the topic.
The Debate

Where is the breach in player autonomy.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1448
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:22 pm

The entire thing assumes you did X, discovered Y, so decided to do Z. Unless this is acceptable by IEs.
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, and GA#470

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20096
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:In 671 there is a large breach of player autonomy in the description.
While perusing the grand governmental libraries for the popular graphic novel, “Jee, Gnomes!”, you come across numerous documents pertaining to the field of genetic engineering — manipulating the genetic code that dictates the characteristics of all biological life. In a barely comprehensible scientific paper, you read of a proposal to allow the patenting of DNA sequences. Realising that the government has yet to take an official stance, you call together a number of experts in the field that are willing to debate the topic.
The Debate

Marxist Germany wrote:The entire thing assumes you did X, discovered Y, so decided to do Z. Unless this is acceptable by IEs.

Um...a lot of issues put the player in a scenario by describing something that they have done to get to that point...
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1448
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:07 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:In 671 there is a large breach of player autonomy in the description.

Marxist Germany wrote:The entire thing assumes you did X, discovered Y, so decided to do Z. Unless this is acceptable by IEs.

Um...a lot of issues put the player in a scenario by describing something that they have done to get to that point...

But the guide says:
2) You the games-master, are not allowed to tell me what my character does or decides.

When you write or edit an issue, don't say what my character's actions or decisions are. The whole point of issues is for me to tell YOU that. You can describe that a meeting has been called, or that advisors have been summoned, but don't tell me that my character has called a meeting, or that my character has summoned my advisors.

viewtopic.php?p=32581709#p32581709
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, and GA#470

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
Anglia-Saxia
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Dec 27, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Anglia-Saxia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Issue ''Dial L for Loan'' (677) still happens in my nation,which outlawed gambling? Explain,how?
Last edited by Anglia-Saxia on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idk what to put in this signature. I'm not an native english speaker,so please don't mind if I make errors.
Nation is an more extreme version of my personal views.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20096
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:
Um...a lot of issues put the player in a scenario by describing something that they have done to get to that point...

But the guide says:
2) You the games-master, are not allowed to tell me what my character does or decides.

When you write or edit an issue, don't say what my character's actions or decisions are. The whole point of issues is for me to tell YOU that. You can describe that a meeting has been called, or that advisors have been summoned, but don't tell me that my character has called a meeting, or that my character has summoned my advisors.

viewtopic.php?p=32581709#p32581709

I don't think it is a hard rule. Lots of issues have the player doing something in the preamble.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
TalAkMaChen
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 158
Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby TalAkMaChen » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:59 pm

The New California Republic wrote:I don't think it is a hard rule. Lots of issues have the player doing something in the preamble.


Not to mention all the family the leader is presumed to have, like the somewhat mad brother lusting for blood.

User avatar
Fontenais
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 161
Founded: May 18, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fontenais » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm

TalAkMaChen wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I don't think it is a hard rule. Lots of issues have the player doing something in the preamble.


Not to mention all the family the leader is presumed to have, like the somewhat mad brother lusting for blood.

I think the idea is you can't choose your family so that's acceptable, even though, you're right, not everyone would have a brother/niece etc

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19917
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 am

671 skirts the edge of player autonomy, and it'd certainly be at the level where the topic would be broached in the drafting process if written in that way now.

However, to me it's within acceptable limits, as you're only making enough assumptions to set up the narrative, rather than implying personality traits, policy preferences or background about LEADER.

So for example, it's definitely NOT okay to say "you've been furious over homosexual marriage being legal" or "six years ago when you were last divorced" or "a lady that you've always wanted to kiss", but it's probably okay to say "earlier today as you were walking down the street" or "in a novel that you recently read", as these are far more trivial autonomy over-rides.

Basically, use common sense. Failing that, use the editors' common sense. :)
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1448
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:21 am

Alright then, thanks for clarification!
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, and GA#470

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
Lamebrainia
Attaché
 
Posts: 92
Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Issue #1290

Postby Lamebrainia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:02 am

Option #1:
become an endangered species
"becomes", perhaps?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rohendia

Advertisement

Remove ads