NATION

PASSWORD

Does anyone know where the issue nations come from?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Montetrem
Political Columnist

Founded: May 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Does anyone know where the issue nations come from?

Postby Montetrem » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 am

So, I've noticed something.
And it's kinda weird. :eyebrow:

So.... :unsure:

Does anyone know where the issue nations came from?
i.e., Marche Noire, Marche Blanc, Brancaland, Maxtopia, etc.

I've looked them all up and my last resort for NS secrets are the forums, sooooo.....help?

The Principal
Last edited by Montetrem on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Potato
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 10, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Potato » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 am

Just nothings to fill the space, without causing any inherent real life problems. Maxtopia because Max Barry owns NS, Bigtopia as a bigger nation than yours, the Violet cult after the NS [violet] admin, etc, etc.
_%%%%%___%%%%__%%%%%__%%%%__%%%%%___%%%%__
_%%__%%__%%__%%___%%____%%__%%___%%_____%%__%%_
_%%%%%__%%__%%___%%____%%%%%____%%____%%___%%_
_%%_______%%__%%___%%____%%__%%____%%____%%__%%_
_%%________%%%%____%%____%%__%%____%%_____%%%%__

Audioslavia wrote:If someone wilfully steers it back towards 'yeah but what if a methodist dude does a sunni dude for four seconds on a Tuesday in spring what then is that bad?" then let us know
Proctopeo wrote:it's like when voldemort ate hitler's soul to become darth vader 2
Ifreann wrote:FEMINISM DESTROYED
The Archregimancy wrote:If any former members of the 1919-1945 Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei post in Moderation to complain that they're being trolled, I'll revisit this; but I suspect that they're a fairly small demographic within our forums.
Audioslavia wrote:We unfortunately don't banhammer people for being catastrophically smug.
Hello, I love you! Yes, you! You're a great human, keep going!

Montetrem
Political Columnist

Founded: May 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Montetrem » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am

Ah, thanks!
I wonder where some other names come from...

Now I want to ask an admin to post the list and their backstories.
Probably not though...

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 am

Montetrem wrote:Ah, thanks!

Probably not though...

No need to ask an admin. Eagle eyed players have charted their appearence and drawn up a list of NPC nations etc. Here. Enjoy.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=423697

By the way, this post very much belongs in either technical or got issues.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Montetrem wrote:Ah, thanks!

Probably not though...

Most NPC countries are created by players like you or me, and we don't their back stories
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Durovska
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Durovska » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm

It depends. Many different countries have been created for NationStates, so I will do my best to explain.

NPC nations are sometimes named after player-created nations (ex: Maxtopia was first nation of creator Max Barry), and some are based on real-life countries (ex: Dàguó is a mix between ancient and modern China). Others are inspired by works of fiction (ex: Zompaboodaland is clearly inspired by Oompa-Loompas), while others are purely fictional countries that are used to fill roles inspired by real-world events (ex: Haptu scenario is inspired by proxy-conflicts during the Cold War, though Haptu itself doesn't seem to be inspired by any particular country).

To make things even more interesting, sometimes NPC nations are created using aspects from multiple different countries, like how East Lebatuck is a fusion between the USSR and East Germany, and how Manamana is a fusion between Mexico and the Caribbean islands. Also, most nations aren't given a backstory when they are first introduced, but they are later fleshed-out organically by the community as new issues are released. This is most apparent in Maxtopia, which was not inspired by anything in particular, but as time went on the nation began to take the shape of a Middle-Eastern country known for civil rights infringements but has a long and rich history that spans back thousands of years, kind of like the Ancient Egyptians. And of course, some nations (like the ambiguously-named Brasilistan) are completely made up and exist completely to serve the narrative arc of the incident.

So basically, these nations can come from pretty much anywhere. If you write an issue, you could even create an NPC nation of your own! Though I would think that it would be better to use one of the nations currently lying around; there is a long list that can be found using this link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=423697

Enjoy!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:57 am

The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:48 am

Bears Armed wrote:Blackacre.

Cor, I learnt something new today. Cool.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?