NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Born to Kill

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 am

Naeh, genetically mutated butterflies sounds like it could end even more horrifically.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Jutsa wrote:Hmm... think it'd hurt the narrative too much if it actually succeeded?
Well, we already have an even bolder coup temporarily succeeding in #192. Just taking control of one military base is comparatively tame, though of course something you would quickly want to do something about, so speakers' opinions would have to be adjusted a little to make the fate of that particular base more explicit in their course of action. It would also sound like it's asking for an option where you let the supersoldiers keep the base - actually, maybe option 4 could be that one.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:43 am

Alrighty, draft 2.00 is up.

That was genuinely quicker and easier than I thought it'd be. o_O

Hopefully this works a little better, and might feel a little less like the
"you made a bad decision, WANNA GO BACK" issue it might've been before...
mostly because there's no real option to go 100% back on your decision, now,
but I think it still works nicely this way.

However, seeing as it's a pretty different draft now,
I'd like to keep this up for a while longer. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 am

Jutsa wrote:Their message been sent across @@NAME@@, as well as to other super soldiers.
Has been.

Also, which other super-soldiers? You already covered @@NAME@@, so are you talking about super-soldiers in other countries?

Jutsa wrote:"The super-soldiers there are too strong, but they're still traitors."
Too strong? Too strong for what? Not for this speaker to want to attack them, clearly.

Jutsa wrote:"Ve just need to infulstrate zer compound and make zem like serving us more:"
"Infulstrate"?

Jutsa wrote:Option 3: "Now you see why they don't like you very much?" asks the soldier who broke free of the straps, Dr. Frankincense tapping his syringe in bewilderment. "They'll come back if you treat them better. We should be treated like normal soldiers, complete with a paycheck, vacation time, and a chance to eventually retire. Maybe you could even lighten up on some of the missions you assign us. Us soldiers are people, just like you — but betterer.... RERRR?" The drugs begin to take effect.
So you completely changed the speaker while keeping the option mostly the same. It's leading to a mixup between "them" and "us" - I guess you're using the former to refer specifically to the regiment of super-soldiers who rebelled at the base, and "us" to refer to all super-soldiers in general, but it's still a bit disorienting.

Jutsa wrote:Option 4: "BAH! Who needs 'em?" Libertarian and suspected secessionist @@RANDOMNAME@@ asks looking at the super soldier in disgust.
Lowercase "libertarian", and hyphenate "super-soldiers".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 am

RE: Title
Machines aren't really born. How about "Built tonkill"?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks, guys. :)

@Aussie: I guess they're machines, but I still kinda like "Born to Kill". I'll leave it to whoever edits this, if it makes it that far, though. :P

@Trot:
@1 and @4: Yeah, I'm referring to only so many super-soldiers...
but, y'know... I kinda like the idea of having all the super-soldiers invade the base, now.
That'd definitely make option 1 take down the whole program... :)

Idk, what do you think? Regardless, I can see your third point in how it might get confusing.

@2: Yeah, specification necessary, thanks. :P
@3: Meant to be another lapse in his accent. *shrugs*
Doesn't matter too much, I guess I could cut out unnecessarities.

@5: Thank you and thank you. :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:35 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Machines aren't really born.
We aren't talking about machines. See #931 for that.

Jutsa wrote:@3: Meant to be another lapse in his accent. *shrugs*
Yeah, but I can't even tell what it's meant to be.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am

Infultrate. :P

I'll change it. :rofl:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 am

Jutsa wrote:Infultrate.
That's not in the dictionary, either.

"Infiltrate" is, but I don't see that word making sense in context.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:07 am

So let's see, we've got:

Premise: Super soldiers rebel.

Option 1: Brute force with conventional soldiers
Option 2: Make more subservient super-soldiers
Option 3: Treat them better.
Option 4: Let them secede.

Looks good. Only thing I'd suggest is having option 2 propose something along the lines of "the only way to beat a super-solider is with an even more super super-solider. A super-duper soldier."
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:43 am

yes.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 am

Alrighty, changed option 2 a bit.

It was a little odd to, given the way I made option 2 (and thus remade option 3),
but I think I kinda found a nice mix of the ideas.

This draft's been up for a long time (over 2 months),
but I think it's been something of a necessity.

I think it's soon ready to submit, and I probably will in about a week,
but only if this draft looks like it doesn't need any more major reworks on-forum.

Thank you all for your help with this; it's one of those that I've had to really wrap my head around. :blush:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Jutsa wrote:Option 2: "No! Zee soldiers are too important to us!" informs Dr. Frankincense, who appears to have a sleeping super-soldier strapped to your desk. "Ve need to invade ze compound by making even more super super-soliders — a super-duper soldier! Ve can do zis by injecting zem all viz mind-altering drugs!" @@HE@@ injects the soldier with a glowing substance, who then wakes up and breaks free of the straps. "It's ALIVE!"
That's not how you make super-duper soldiers, though. Mind-altering drugs might make them more loyal, but they won't make them better at combat.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Mmmmh. Yes. Good point.

Oof, I genuinely don't know. I'd love to have both but I honestly can not see this even being able to have super-duper soldiers with the way the thing's set up.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Alrighty, changed it again.

I think this is nearly ready for submission, myself, so I'm finally putting this on last call for a week. :)

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 am

Love the issue, just not sure about the wording of the premise. I'm not sure how it's wrong, but reads slightly off to me, primarily the 2nd sentence.

I'd personally choose Option 1.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:22 am

just not sure about the wording of the premise

AGREED. Too many participles, dangling or otherwise!

Down with the participles!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 am

Eh, how's this?
However, upset with being bred in a lab to be used as weapons, a large coup of super-soldiers took over a high-level military base.
ed: I personally think it's a lot better than this. :P
However, a coup recently took over a high-level military base as an act of revenge for being bred in a lab only to be used as a weapon.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 am

Jutsa wrote:Eh, how's this?
However, upset with being bred in a lab to be used as weapons, a large coup of super-soldiers took over a high-level military base.
ed: I personally think it's a lot better than this. :P
However, a coup recently took over a high-level military base as an act of revenge for being bred in a lab only to be used as a weapon.

...as weapons, a battalion of super soldiers have staged an uprising, taking over an important military base.

Wasn't sure on the numbers of a battalion in terms of whether that would be too many or too few for taking over the base.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am

Ah, yes, that'll work. I swear I can't phrase this right for the life of the draft.
ed: Also changed "other" to "the remaining" in as well as to the remaining super soldiers.

ed2: Oh! also, nice to see you again, Flanderlion; it's been some time. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 am

Submitted! Removed the "no sex" validity (I think that was outdated), and added a comma to option 4.

Thank you all, so much, for your help. :)

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 am

Good luck!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?