NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Joint Trade Agreement

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] Joint Trade Agreement

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

CURRENT DRAFT:
TITLE:

Joint Trade Agreement

VALIDITY:

Marijuana illegal, no autarky, capitalist.

DESCRIPTION:

Canny businessmen have noted that that though it is illegal to use marijuana in @@NAME@@, there's a sizeable demand (both medicinal and recreational) for the plant and its derivatives on the global market. A handful of weed farms producing solely for export have sprouted up, promising economic high times are ahead.

OPTION ONE

"Look, there's nothing unethical about growing and trading a bit of blifter for an international market," observes drug dealer @@randomname@@, handing out 'first-time's-free' samples to your staff. "Sure, the ole green tea can make folk a little forgetful and unmotivated, but is that such a bad thing to be inducing that in our global economic competitors? I mean seriously, they love the old doobage in Brancaland, and we can engineer a skunk that is twice as addictive and twice as strong. We can corner this market, if you let us."

Outcome: business ambassadors offer bong tokes to foreign leaders

OPTION TWO

"There's more to life than obsessing over drugs," complains po-faced moral crusader @@randomname@@, who is wearing an anti-drugs slogan on @@HIS@@ t-shirt, handing out anti-drug leaflets and has just given a seminar on the evil of drugs. "If we don't approve of marijuana then we shouldn't be complicit in encouraging drug use in other nations. Morality doesn't cease to apply just because of national borders!"

Outcome: greenhouses are regularly raided by the police

OPTION THREE

"Hey, look don't be so... uh... thingammy..." says one of your junior ministers, who has a suspiciously herbal smell about @@HIM@@. "Look, everyone knows weed isn't like addictive, or bad for you. I mean, don't be so... Uh... I said that already, right? Yeah, legalise weed. Hey... you're not recording this are you?" @@HE@@ starts searching the room for hidden microphones, but gives up after a minute, and falls asleep.

Outcome: the nation is going green

FIRST DRAFT:
TITLE:

Joint Trade Agreement

VALIDITY:

Marijuana illegal, no autarky

DESCRIPTION:

Canny businessmen have noted that that though it is illegal to use marijuana in @@NAME@@, there's a sizeable demand (both medicinal and recreational) for the plant and its derivatives on the global market. A handful of weed farms producing solely for export have emerged, promising economic high times are ahead.

OPTION ONE

"Look, there's nothing unethical about growing and trading a bit of blifter for an international market," observes drug dealer @@randomname@@, handing out 'first-time's-free' samples to your staff. "Sure, the ole green tea can make folk a little forgetful and unmotivated, but is that such a bad thing to be inducing that in our global economic competitors? I mean seriously, they love the old doobage in Brancaland, and we can engineer a skunk that is twice as addictive and twice as strong. We can corner this market, if you let us."

Outcome: national business ambassadors offer lines of coke to foreign leaders

OPTION TWO

"There's more to life than obsessing over drugs," complains po-faced moral crusader @@randomname@@, who is wearing an anti-drugs slogan on @@HIS@@ t-shirt, handing out anti-drug leaflets and has just given a seminar on the evil of drugs. "If we don't approve of marijuana - which we don't - we should be burning these drugs!" @@HE@@ slaps a lit joint out of the hands of one of your junior ministers. "No, not like that! We should be seeking and destroying drug farms, and prosecuting drug farmers!"

Outcome: greenhouses are regularly raided by the police

OPTION THREE

"Hey, look don't be so... uh... thingammy..." says the junior minister, picking up @@HIS@@ still-lit reefer and taking a puff. "Look, everyone knows weed isn't like addictive, or bad for you. I mean, don't be so... Uh... I said that already, right? Yeah, legalise weed. Hey... you're not recording this are you?" @@HE@@ starts searching the room for hidden microphones, but gives up after a minute, and falls asleep.

Outcome: the nation is going green

SUBMITTED 28/8/18
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am

Option 1, what's skunks gotta do with weed?
Clever title btw
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1, what's skunks gotta do with weed?
Clever title btw

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skunk

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 am

Why does option 1's effect line mention coke, when the whole issue is about ganja?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:57 am

So, the issue here is about whether it's okay to produce stuff for export that would be legal to actually consume in your own nation?

I guess that's a valid question, although you need to highlight it a little more in the individual options to differentiate this from a generic drugs issue, and honestly I can't imagine many players would actually choose the hypocrite option.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"If we don't approve of marijuana - which we don't - we should be burning these drugs!" @@HE@@ slaps a lit joint out of the hands of one of your junior ministers. "No, not like that! We should be seeking and destroying drug farms, and prosecuting drug farmers!"
We've done that joke in #625.

Anyway, to emphasize the angle that makes this different from a generic drugs issue, I think you should have this speaker make a globalist argument that we have a duty to act responsibly to all people of the world, not just our own citizens.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1, what's skunks gotta do with weed?
Clever title btw

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skunk

I see
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:DESCRIPTION:

Canny businessmen have noted that that though it is illegal to use marijuana in @@NAME@@, there's a sizeable demand (both medicinal and recreational) for the plant and its derivatives on the global market. A handful of weed farms producing solely for export have emerged, promising economic high times are ahead.

You have two of the word 'that' in a row, and you spelled 'sizable' wrong. I know you're the editor and all, but I've always thought that parentheses in issues could be substituted with commas instead.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Reformed High Reiserland
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Reformed High Reiserland » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Sacara wrote:and you spelled 'sizable' wrong.

No, it's correct. "Sizeable" is the standard British spelling, whereas "sizable" is the standard American spelling.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:37 am

Validity: must be capitalist

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 am

Baggieland wrote:Why does option 1's effect line mention coke, when the whole issue is about ganja?

Was thinking it being an extension ab absurdiam. But yeah, will change it to a "toke from a bong".

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 am

Trotterdam wrote:Anyway, to emphasize the angle that makes this different from a generic drugs issue, I think you should have this speaker make a globalist argument that we have a duty to act responsibly to all people of the world, not just our own citizens.

Good point, will do that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 am

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Anyway, my country has banned Weed.
So we won't be following this.

Yes, that's kind of the point of the issue. It's asking if it's okay to grow weed for export when it is illegal domestically.

I guess you missing that reinforces Trotterdam's point about making the distinction from other drug issues clearer though.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity: must be capitalist

Good point.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:10 am

Trotterdam wrote:I guess that's a valid question, although you need to highlight it a little more in the individual options to differentiate this from a generic drugs issue, and honestly I can't imagine many players would actually choose the hypocrite option.

Well... the UK in real life has picked that option.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 43921.html

And Candlewhisper Archive would probably pick that option, as it fits the nation's rp and its stat goals of maximum trade and maximum cleverness.

Anyway, Draft 2 is now up. Further comments sought, thank you all.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:34 am

A handful of weed farms producing solely for export have emerged[...]

I think you could say "sprouted up" instead of "emerged" to stick with the plant metaphors there :)

Also, you are missing a quotation mark at the end of Speaker 3's speech.

That's all from me, nifty issue as always. :clap:
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
A handful of weed farms producing solely for export have emerged[...]

I think you could say "sprouted up" instead of "emerged" to stick with the plant metaphors there :)

Also, you are missing a quotation mark at the end of Speaker 3's speech.

That's all from me, nifty issue as always. :clap:

Changed to sprouting up, that's a good one.

Can't find the missing quote mark. Are you missing that the last sentence is an additional action after the speech?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote: Are you missing that the last sentence is an additional action after the speech?

Oops, yes, you're right. Sorry about that. :blush:
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?