NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Remove ads

User avatar
Palait
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Jun 03, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

The Writers' Block

Postby Palait » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 pm

So Alesha Dixon - a singer/talent show judge in the U.K. - has gone on record saying that if she had the power, she would ban meat eating. Are there any issues that already tackle this theme?

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22420
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Palait wrote:So Alesha Dixon - a singer/talent show judge in the U.K. - has gone on record saying that if she had the power, she would ban meat eating. Are there any issues that already tackle this theme?


Yes, there are issues that ban meat eating.

If you can think of any interesting issues for nations that have banned meat, other than just reversing the ban, those would be welcome.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
NationStates moderators may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
In case of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical assistance.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Palait wrote:So Alesha Dixon - a singer/talent show judge in the U.K. - has gone on record saying that if she had the power, she would ban meat eating. Are there any issues that already tackle this theme?


Yes, there are issues that ban meat eating.

If you can think of any interesting issues for nations that have banned meat, other than just reversing the ban, those would be welcome.


Mate, I've got one in the staff pool, if you want to try editing again.

Meat Market.

Link for those of you without backstage access:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=371867
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Pogaria
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 625
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Naa, I got a whole gang of likeminded pedants and obsessives that call themselves the Editors.

Basically, as soon as we spot someone else who can spend a whole week worrying about where a comma should and should not be used, or whether there is meta-narrative style consistency and preserved internal fiction in a six-word throwaway line... well that person gets gathered onto the team asap!

This isn't exaggeration. We seriously have (polite) arguments about commas.

Having a strong opinion on the serial (Oxford) comma is practically a requirement for being an Issues Editor.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
Merconitonitopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1317
Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Oxford comma always. Negligence of its use is nonsensical, counter-grammatical, and some other presumably truthful negative adjective.
issues answerer

User avatar
Merconitonitopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1317
Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

hold up... do we have an inflation issue yet? none?
has the idea been discussed at all?
Last edited by Merconitonitopia on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
issues answerer

User avatar
Singapore no2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 867
Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:hold up... do we have an inflation issue yet? none?
has the idea been discussed at all?

Something like that.
Singapore Gum Import Ban World Assembly Resolution Parody
Personal Political Compass

This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

I have many issues, But at least someone accepts me for who I am. Which I can appreciate, of course.

My published Issues
Death Note

User avatar
Pogaria
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 625
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:Oxford comma always. Negligence of its use is nonsensical, counter-grammatical, and some other presumably truthful negative adjective.

You are both wise and intelligent!
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
Shwe Tu Colony
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1741
Founded: Sep 27, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

So when are we going to have a civil war over the Oxford comma?
"Idiots have a high chance of dying. & by high, we mean execution." Current kill count of prominent idiots: 70
If you compliment/thanked me, assume I've thanked you/said you're welcome but didn't write it out (feels strange to check on your thread expecting something new, only for it to have been a "thank you.")
Convenient em dash: —
Extension
Parfuhmerian Report {} Parfuhmerian Market Square opens | Parfuhmerie completes FFI-like Poison, sending samples to a nation that came back into existence | Ir'a Tar'rama leads archaeological group into newly discovered temple

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22420
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Yes, there are issues that ban meat eating.

If you can think of any interesting issues for nations that have banned meat, other than just reversing the ban, those would be welcome.


Mate, I've got one in the staff pool, if you want to try editing again.

Meat Market.

Link for those of you without backstage access:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=371867

I don't want to start any new edits. I have an open one that I need to get back to. The problem is that editing is a lower priority than work, mod business, etc., and it's rare that I have the time and focus to do much with it.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
NationStates moderators may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
In case of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical assistance.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22420
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

Pogaria wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Naa, I got a whole gang of likeminded pedants and obsessives that call themselves the Editors.

Basically, as soon as we spot someone else who can spend a whole week worrying about where a comma should and should not be used, or whether there is meta-narrative style consistency and preserved internal fiction in a six-word throwaway line... well that person gets gathered onto the team asap!

This isn't exaggeration. We seriously have (polite) arguments about commas.

Having a strong opinion on the serial (Oxford) comma is practically a requirement for being an Issues Editor.


Serial Comma Master Race.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
NationStates moderators may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
In case of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical assistance.

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 am

I agree, but I'm honestly more neutral about the subject so I'd never be an editor. ;)
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 16205
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

USS Monitor wrote:or about how exhausting and risky it is to be touring all the time and how bad it would hurt the country if anything happened to the band.

Clone them?
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Senator
 
Posts: 4513
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am

Jutsa wrote:I'm honestly more neutral about the subject
You monster!

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22420
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

Bears Armed wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:or about how exhausting and risky it is to be touring all the time and how bad it would hurt the country if anything happened to the band.

Clone them?


That's dumb, but it's the kind of dumb that just might work.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
NationStates moderators may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
In case of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical assistance.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Pogaria wrote:
Merconitonitopia wrote:Oxford comma always. Negligence of its use is nonsensical, counter-grammatical, and some other presumably truthful negative adjective.

You are both wise and intelligent!
I think they’re wise, intelligent and grammaticaly correct :p
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Merconitonitopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1317
Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Merconitonitopia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Pogaria wrote:You are both wise and intelligent!
I think they’re wise, intelligent and grammaticaly correct :p

I think you need to shut up, but thank you.
issues answerer

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I think they’re wise, intelligent and grammaticaly correct :p

I think you need to shut up, but thank you.
Why was that answer so mean, angry and abrasive?
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

I, for one, find it disgraceful, horrendous and flabbergasting that you have acted in a manor I for one find to be turbulent, dilapidated, and salty.
Jk I just wanted to make both sides of this war angery at me
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Shwe Tu Colony
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1741
Founded: Sep 27, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Jutsa wrote:I, for one, find it disgraceful, horrendous and flabbergasting that you have acted in a manor I for one find to be turbulent, dilapidated, and salty.
Jk I just wanted to make both sides of this war angery at me


I don't have a super strong opinion on this conversation (I prefer Oxford/serial comma & will fix it but I won't become the Cleric Beast in response) but what I do have a strong opinion on is consistency, so right now I am reeeeing in response to your lack of consistency in the usage of serial/Oxford commas. Oh, & the fact that you mixed up manor & manner. That also mildly annoys me.
"Idiots have a high chance of dying. & by high, we mean execution." Current kill count of prominent idiots: 70
If you compliment/thanked me, assume I've thanked you/said you're welcome but didn't write it out (feels strange to check on your thread expecting something new, only for it to have been a "thank you.")
Convenient em dash: —
Extension
Parfuhmerian Report {} Parfuhmerian Market Square opens | Parfuhmerie completes FFI-like Poison, sending samples to a nation that came back into existence | Ir'a Tar'rama leads archaeological group into newly discovered temple

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

All according to plan
except for that manor-manner thing... <:D
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Jutsa wrote:All according to plan
except for that manor-manner thing... <:D
And adding an extra “e” in angry?

I actually use the Oxford comma, I just wanted to make a joke or two
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm

that's based on a meme, tbh. :P
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Jutsa wrote:that's based on a meme, tbh. :P
Well, it doesn't seem funny, interesting and cool.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 pm

welcome to memes

:rofl:
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

PreviousNext

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Palos Heights

Remove ads