NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Back-end of the Wind-Makers

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] Back-end of the Wind-Makers

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:28 am

Name:

Back-end of the Wind-Makers

Description:

There's a bad smell over @@CAPITAL@@, resulting from the combination of burgeoning population, stagnant air and the gaseous expulsions of millions of backsides. Visitors to the city have started to comment on this.

Validity:

Valid for nations over one billion population.

Options:

[option]"Its good manners to hold it in till you get home," says tense-looking oriental immigrant Link Miyamoto. "In my nation we would not dream of being so crude as to let the spring breeze move beyond four walls. Teach the right manners of flatulence to children and adults, and we will have an odorless city."
[effect]severe stomach cramps regularly plague the population
[stats]rudeness decreases, cheerfulness decreases, tourism increases, niceness increases, education spending increases, health decreases,

[option]"Blow west, so the air is clear!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an East @@@NAME@@ villager and construction worker. "East of the city there's lots of open air, so build great big fans to blow across the city, and bring a fresh breeze into @@CAPITAL@@. This and more we'll do!"
[effect]properties and land west of @@CAPITAL@@ are plummeting in value
[stats]industry spending increases, sector: manufacturing increases, eco-friendliness decreases, cheerfulness increases, income equality reduces, tourism increases,

[option]"One does not fart!" exclaims city-worker 'Princess' Imelda. "At least, one's emanations are odorless, as one is vegan. Enforce nationwide veganism, and one will be able to breathe proud and free."
[effect]meat-eaters visiting this vegan nation are mocked for their body odour
[stats]nation becomes vegan, civil rights decrease a lot, health increases, obesity decreases, sector: agriculture decreases, lifespan increases, death rate decreases, charmlessness increases, eco-friendliness increases, tourism decreases, cheese exports decrease,

[option]"I love the smell of gas in the morning. It smells like @@NAME@@!" proclaims proud patriot Billy Killpoo. "Lets build up our city's identity by giving sales tax-breaks on gas-making foods, and get ourselves a proper miasma that @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ can call the fragrance of a nation!"
[effect]you can barely hear city traffic over the loud flatulence of the natives
[stats]rudeness increases, charmlessness increases a lot, tourism decreases, obesity increases, sector: agriculture increases, industry: pizza delivery increases, industry: beverage sales increases, environmental beauty decreases, cheerfulness increases, taxation decreases, business subsidisation increases, economic output increases,

[option]"Wait, did someone say gas?" asks Energy Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We should distribute methane capture devices and make it compulsory for every citizen to... uh... plug one in. We could then capture this natural resource, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels!"
[effect]strange devices affixed to the rear of citizens are prone to exploding, with painful results
[stats]ideological radicality increases, charmlessness increases, industry spending increases, safety decreases, technological advancement increases a little, eco-friendliness increases a little, cheerfulness decreases a lot, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases

Name:

Back-end of the Wind-Makers

Description:

There's a bad smell over @@CAPITAL@@, resulting from the combination of burgeoning population, stagnant air and the gaseous expulsions of millions of backsides. Visitors to the city have started to comment on this.

Validity:

Valid for nations over one billion population.

Options:

[option]"Its good manners to hold it in till you get home," says tense-looking oriental immigrant Link Miyamoto. "In my nation we would not dream of being so crude as to let the spring breeze move beyond four walls. Teach the right manners of flatulence to children and adults, and we will have an odorless city."
[effect]severe stomach cramps regularly plague the population
[stats]rudeness decreases, cheerfulness decreases, tourism increases, niceness increases, education spending increases, health decreases,

[option]"Blow west, so the air is clear!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an East @@@NAME@@ villager and construction worker. "East of the city there's lots of open air, so build great big fans to blow across the city, and bring a fresh breeze into @@CAPITAL@@. This and more we'll do!"
[effect]properties and land west of @@CAPITAL@@ are plummeting in value
[stats]industry spending increases, sector: manufacturing increases, eco-friendliness decreases, cheerfulness increases, income equality reduces, tourism increases,

[option]"One does not fart!" exclaims city-worker 'Princess' Imelda. "At least, one's emanations are odorless, as one is vegetarian. Enforce nationwide vegetarianism, and one will be able to breathe proud and free."
[effect]meat-eaters visiting this vegan nation are mocked for their body odour
[stats]nation becomes vegetarian, civil rights decrease a lot, health increases, obesity decreases, sector: agriculture decreases, lifespan increases, death rate decreases, charmlessness increases, eco-friendliness increases, tourism decreases

[option]"I love the smell of gas in the morning. It smells like @@NATION@@!" proclaims proud patriot Billy Killpoo. "Lets build up our city's identity by giving sales tax-breaks on gas-making foods, and get ourselves a proper miasma that @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ can call the fragrance of a nation!"
[effect]you can barely hear city traffic over the loud flatulence of the natives
[stats]rudeness increases, charmlessness increases a lot, tourism decreases, obesity increases, sector: agriculture increases, industry: pizza delivery increases, industry: beverage sales increases, environmental beauty decreases, cheerfulness increases,

[option]"Wait, did someone say gas?" asks Energy Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We should distribute methane capture devices and make it compulsory for every citizen to... uh... plug one in. We could then capture this natural resource, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels!"
[effect]strange devices affixed to the rear of citizens are prone to exploding, with painful results
[stats]ideological radicality increases, charmlessness increases, industry spending increases, safety decreases, technological advancement increases a little, eco-friendliness increases a little, cheerfulness decreases a lot, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Leppikania » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:34 am

1. Shouldn't it be "Back-End of the Wind-Breakers"?
  2. What happened to garlic and beans?
  3. Option 3 makes the nation vegetarian, not vegan.
  4. I thought you were experienced enough to know to use @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@.
  5. Hmmm... Making energy from farts...
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 am

Leppikania wrote:
  1. Shouldn't it be "Back-End of the Wind-Breakers"?
  2. What happened to garlic and beans?
  3. Option 3 makes the nation vegetarian, not vegan.
  4. I thought you were experienced enough to know to use @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@.
  5. Hmmm... Making energy from farts...

1. Considered a few variations, but wanted to make it more like the Zelda title.
2. I can work that in, I guess. Don't want to make it too unwieldy though
3. That scans badly for the effect line, so I'll change the option instead.
4. Experienced enough yes, attentive enough, no. Cheers!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:26 am

For fun, I should point out that this is based loosely on a real issue, but I thought it'd be more amusing in NS to deal with human methane rather than livestock methane:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... nergy4.htm

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Ah, the joys of being anosmic and thus having no clue what anyone is complaining about.

'Sfar as I am concerned, the rest of you are the disabled ones.

Return to Got Issues?