NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #457

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 pm

A Information Technology tycoon

should be "An"

this monument will ensue

"ensure"

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:14 pm

Fixed. Replaced 'a' with 'well known' because an won't always be appropriate either depending on your major industry.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 pm

Doesn't the game have an intelligent "a"/"an" macro now? I recall seeing something like that in the effect line for option 3 of issue #120.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:23 am

Issue #239, Option 1

"Yes, yes!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a wooden sword enthusiastically. "You've gotta do this, man! Gladiator fights are like the ultimate in spectator sports! And it doesn't just have to be people! We could pit man against @@ANIMAL@@! Blade against claw! Nothing to their names but their wits and their stamina! You'd have to pay people a lot to risk their lives doing this (there should be a comma here) but I bet you'd earn a whole lot more from merchandise and wagers and stuff!"
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:20 am

Fixed.
Trotterdam wrote:Doesn't the game have an intelligent "a"/"an" macro now? I recall seeing something like that in the effect line for option 3 of issue #120.

Yeah, I could have used that, but I kinda like the way it sounds now.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Issue #217
The CDNHS (Christian Democrats National Health Service) is struggling to pay for the medicinal and surgical treatments required for your citizens.

I think you ought to consider using the adjective macro here (i.e., Christian Democratic instead of Christian Democrats).
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Issue #217
The CDNHS (Christian Democrats National Health Service) is struggling to pay for the medicinal and surgical treatments required for your citizens.

I think you ought to consider using the adjective macro here (i.e., Christian Democratic instead of Christian Democrats).

Fixed.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

The Chan Islanders
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chan Islanders » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:47 pm

In issue 386 "Droning on and on"

A a Chan Islander drone strike in the hinterlands of Tasmania has successfully killed an infamous terrorist, Mad Max, notorious for assassinating your predecessor. However, collateral damage butchered dozens of innocent bystanders, outraging the international community.

Problem highlighted in red.
Last edited by The Chan Islanders on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're being oppressed by the nasty Annihilators! Please help!

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:18 pm

The Chan Islanders wrote:In issue 386 "Droning on and on"

A a Chan Islander drone strike in the hinterlands of Tasmania has successfully killed an infamous terrorist, Mad Max, notorious for assassinating your predecessor. However, collateral damage butchered dozens of innocent bystanders, outraging the international community.

Not an error; a bad custom field. The issue is using your denonym adjective, which is a custom field. For example, mine is "Phydiosian". Yours, as your nation's page shows, is "a Chan Islander". That "a" at the beginning, as you can see, does not look good when the denonym is used in a sentence.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

The Chan Islanders
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chan Islanders » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Phydios wrote:
The Chan Islanders wrote:In issue 386 "Droning on and on"

Not an error; a bad custom field. The issue is using your denonym adjective, which is a custom field. For example, mine is "Phydiosian". Yours, as your nation's page shows, is "a Chan Islander". That "a" at the beginning, as you can see, does not look good when the denonym is used in a sentence.

So monumental oversight on the custom field of a puppet I barely care about and I end up looking like a fool. Such is life. Cheers mate!
We're being oppressed by the nasty Annihilators! Please help!

Tawgania
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Issue edit?

Postby Tawgania » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:51 am

Hi,
I don't know if this is the correct thread for it (I assume so), but an issue that's been annoying me for a long time is the #020 "Gunman kills three". Basically, it has three options, that all bans something, and I wondered if there's any reason for why it doesn't have a 4th option for the opposite, or if it's possible to make one?
See, if I say have a nation that's very free, or anarchic (and I know I'm not the only one), shouldn't there be an option for me to choose a very anarchic option, or at least something that doesn't ban something? Options could be:
- "The answer to killing is, obviously, to give people the right to defend themselves!", encouraging weapons or enforcing weapons
- "This is because people don't know how to use guns. We need to have gun safety and handling in school!", encouraging weapons, enforcing gun lessons in school, or maybe give free gun courses and similar
- "Who said killing is a bad thing?", encouraging murder and vigilantism

I could draft an edited issue if it's possible, since I don't think making a new one is really necessary since the question is there already; it just doesn't have as many options as I often see in very good NS issues.
Last edited by Tawgania on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tharse
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tharse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I don't know if this is really an issue bug, but issue 457 is kind of strange in that it assumes that it assumes your nation has a history of colonialism. (I was confused until I read the third option and realized that "native Tharsis" were a minority group and not the population of my nation.) Maybe this should be limited based on what history you picked for your nation when you created it?

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Tharse wrote:I don't know if this is really an issue bug, but issue 457 is kind of strange in that it assumes that it assumes your nation has a history of colonialism. (I was confused until I read the third option and realized that "native Tharsis" were a minority group and not the population of my nation.) Maybe this should be limited based on what history you picked for your nation when you created it?

I don't think that choice is stored anywhere.

Issues make assumptions from time to time. It happens.

Oiseau
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Oiseau » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Not sure if this is the right place, but I was going through issues I've passed and noticed that, despite allowing public nudity as one of my very first issues, I still got the issue about public breastfeeding some time later. Is public nudity only legal for people who are not lactating? Shouldn't that be included as part of public nudity, or is it considered enough of a separate issue to be brought to debate? :unsure:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:00 pm

There could be a taboo about the act of putting one person's lips to another's nipples in public, even if showing the nipples itself isn't taboo.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Issue #458, Option 2
"All this talk about race is divisive," says Officer Kenny's attorney. "Try to put yourself in a policeman's shoes for a minute. Cops need to make quick decisions in hostile situations, and that means they have to use the professional instincts they learn while on patrol. The Bigtopian boy fitted the description of someone for whom there was an arrest warrant, and he was wielding a baguette - which on a dark night can easily be mistaken for a shotgun - in a threatening manner. This tragic mistake was an isolated incident, and Officer Kenny shouldn't be held responsible for a single error on the line of duty."

I believe the appropriate phrase is "in the line of duty."

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Trackeendy
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2005

Issue Spelling Error

Postby Trackeendy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:17 pm

The second choice for the breastmilk issue (Can't think of what its called) has this as the end result: "breast milk is being redistributed from each according to their ability to each according to their need". Obviously the wording needs to be fixed here.
Tra Ken Di, aka Tra Kleele, Tra Kho The, Pixolpak, Golid Guodzil, Rhurodin, Jhert, Mugucaris, K'arkado, Oro Mayomic.
"I was here before you, and I will surely outlive you" - Trackeendy's Kreator

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Trackeendy wrote:The second choice for the breastmilk issue (Can't think of what its called) has this as the end result: "breast milk is being redistributed from each according to their ability to each according to their need". Obviously the wording needs to be fixed here.

Where is the spelling error?

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm

The only problem I see is that "each" normally takes singular pronouns, but even as someone who's normally very strict about that I grudgingly tolerate a little laxness when it's clear that you're actually referring to multiple people even if you're grammatically taking them one at a time.

EDIT: Which in any case would be a grammar error, not a spelling error, so Trackeendy is still inaccurate. I've looked closely and I can't see any spelling errors.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trackeendy
Envoy

Postby Trackeendy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Yeah, I meant grammar error, my bad.
Tra Ken Di, aka Tra Kleele, Tra Kho The, Pixolpak, Golid Guodzil, Rhurodin, Jhert, Mugucaris, K'arkado, Oro Mayomic.

Trackeendy
Envoy

Postby Trackeendy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm

An obvious one at that...

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:55 pm

It's fine.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Trackeendy
Envoy

Postby Trackeendy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

How? it seems like its two different sentences crammed into one. How can you read that and not find it odd?

Frisbeeteria
Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Trackeendy wrote:How? it seems like its two different sentences crammed into one. How can you read that and not find it odd?

Ordinarily you would uses commas a separators, but that causes problems when posted to the nation page. So we simply ignore the comma rule and post it as a run on sentence.

Trackeendy
Envoy

Postby Trackeendy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:48 pm

It looks and sounds awful though. Surely there is a way to make the sentence understandable?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?