NATION

PASSWORD

Basics of Military Gameplay

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:And if they are off?

Then the Raider Delegate can cast WA votes on behalf of the region, and pretty much nothing else.

Riotopia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riotopia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:54 am

I'm not sure whether I want to be a raider or defender =)) I want someone to influence me

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:01 am

Like acting for yourself and planning your own moves? Be a raider.

Like reacting to others and having your next step dictated to you by your enemies? Be a Defender.

Morals can play a role in choosing, if you believe in them when it comes to a game. If you don't, cause in-game morals are silly, the gameplay I described above is pretty much how the average update goes.
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Riotopia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Riotopia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:38 am

Like there aren't defenders that "defend" regions even if they aren't in danger =)) I do have in game morals... kinda... I'm just a bit confused as to what I should do =))

The Black Hat Guy
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Hat Guy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Riotopia wrote:Like there aren't defenders that "defend" regions even if they aren't in danger =)) I do have in game morals... kinda... I'm just a bit confused as to what I should do =))

Most large regions have defensive pacts with many other regions, and often defender regions, and defenders, are involved in those.

You want my opinion: be a defender. Raiding is essentially just legitimized bullying - there are many concrete examples of how it destroys communities, causes players to leave the game, and creates general bad feelings. Defending is an attempt to prevent that.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:19 pm

The Black Hat Guy wrote:
Riotopia wrote:Like there aren't defenders that "defend" regions even if they aren't in danger =)) I do have in game morals... kinda... I'm just a bit confused as to what I should do =))

Most large regions have defensive pacts with many other regions, and often defender regions, and defenders, are involved in those.

You want my opinion: be a defender. Raiding is essentially just legitimized bullying - there are many concrete examples of how it destroys communities, causes players to leave the game, and creates general bad feelings. Defending is an attempt to prevent that.

Most such pacts are mutual cooperation pacts, and not defense pacts. The two regions generally agree to cooperate with each other on the international stage, and this may mean raiding, defending, or neither, depending on the gameplay alignment of the signatory regions. To blanket these pacts as defense pacts is, IMO, ignoring the many other aspects that such pacts may have, and which are certainly not limited to defense.

Furthermore, Riotopia, raiding does not destroy communities. Such communities are certainly free to choose a different name, and since a name alone does not define a community, the community thus is not destroyed by the loss of a name. Neither does it cause people to quit the game. Most such people were already discontented with the game before the raid. If they had been enjoying it, why would they quit? They may use the raid as an excuse to quit, but the raid is almost never the root cause of their quitting. As for general bad feelings, I'm not sure where that came from, but I've never seen any reason to believe such.

Finally, the overall ethical problems that defenderists face are staggering. They often claim to have some moral high ground in their defendersim, but the actions of their leaders (especially the UDL's leaders) often show less of a moral compass than those taken by their raiderist opponents. The practice of defending is in itself immoral (see here for a more complete explanation). They generally claim to restore the region to its "natives" by putting the native delegate (who couldn't protect their region in the first place) back in power. Then, when the region is raided again, the region must again rely on defenders to save them. This puts defender orgs in charge of an sort of empire of founderless regions that are totally dependent on them. Therefore, defenders are really imperialistic raiders (who I have no problem with) who attempt to use logical fallacies and appeals to morality to justify their heinous acts (which I do have a problem with).

Hope this helps you make a decision. :)
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm

The Black Hat Guy wrote:You want my opinion: be a defender. Raiding is essentially just legitimized bullying

OH BAH! BAH AT YOU, SIR! You sound like some of the Role Play MODS in my signature. It's a game, raiding is part of the game, it's been part of the game since the first player figured out he/she could do it, deal with it. Stop using the tired line and argument that people have been using for years that "oh, it's legitimized bullying". I didn't realize doing things other player might not like was "bullying".

Guess I should stop winning rounds in other online games, I might be banned for "bullying" the other players' sensitive psyche.

Riotopia, you want a good reason not to go Defender? You'll constantly have to put up with people smugly asserting how pious and righteous they are on a near daily basis.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:23 pm

You could just stick to the Role Play forums...

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm

*Evil Wolf swats at Inyourfaceistan*

Get out of here, Role Player, you are lost. :P

The Black Hat Guy
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Hat Guy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:OH BAH! BAH AT YOU, SIR! You sound like some of the Role Play MODS in my signature.

That's probably where I got the phrasing from - it did sound familiar to me as I was writing it.

Evil Wolf wrote: It's a game, raiding is part of the game, it's been part of the game since the first player figured out he/she could do it, deal with it. Stop using the tired line and argument that people have been using for years that "oh, it's legitimized bullying". I didn't realize doing things other player might not like was "bullying".

Except in other games, there is no other way to play the game. The other player is doing the exact same thing to you and has consented for you to do the same to them. This is not the case with raiding.

Evil Wolf wrote:Riotopia, you want a good reason not to go Defender? You'll constantly have to put up with people smugly asserting how pious and righteous they are on a near daily basis.

The number of defenders that do that is minimal.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:*Evil Wolf swats at Inyourfaceistan*

Well between the two, I would choose raider. But you are making regret my sympathies... :p

But really though, people switch regions all the time? Regions go inactive all the time. What's the big deal if they get "raided"? Why is it such a crime that everyone makes it out to be?
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm

The Black Hat Guy wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:OH BAH! BAH AT YOU, SIR! You sound like some of the Role Play MODS in my signature.

That's probably where I got the phrasing from - it did sound familiar to me as I was writing it.

Evil Wolf wrote: It's a game, raiding is part of the game, it's been part of the game since the first player figured out he/she could do it, deal with it. Stop using the tired line and argument that people have been using for years that "oh, it's legitimized bullying". I didn't realize doing things other player might not like was "bullying".

Except in other games, there is no other way to play the game. The other player is doing the exact same thing to you and has consented for you to do the same to them. This is not the case with raiding.

Evil Wolf wrote:Riotopia, you want a good reason not to go Defender? You'll constantly have to put up with people smugly asserting how pious and righteous they are on a near daily basis.

The number of defenders that do that is minimal.

1.) Except when your region becomes founderless, you must acknowledge that the region's now at risk of being raided and take steps to prevent that. There's no reason to be surprised if your region does get raided and it's the "natives" fault for not taking steps to prevent that.

2.) Really? I see lots of defenders going around proclaiming their righteousness quite often. Just because they're not as vocal about it as Unibot and Co. are doesn't mean that they don't come across as assuming moral superiority on a regular basis.

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:*Evil Wolf swats at Inyourfaceistan*

Well between the two, I would choose raider. But you are making regret my sympathies... :p

But really though, people switch regions all the time? Regions go inactive all the time. What's the big deal if they get "raided"? Why is it such a crime that everyone makes it out to be?

It's because defenders have an agenda to push, and want to push it at all costs.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Riotopia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Riotopia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Yeah the defenders being like an empire is the reason why I'm not sure whether I should be a raider or defend =)) They both mean power and I'm not sure which I want to be part of heh.

The wonderful world of Sheeploch
Civilian

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The wonderful world of Sheeploch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Im confused. So raiding is basicly joining a region and attempting to become the WA person and take over the region?

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 am

Yes.
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 pm

The wonderful world of Sheeploch wrote:Im confused. So raiding is basicly joining a region and attempting to become the WA person and take over the region?

In a nutshell. Of course, it typically makes more sense for that region to be founderless, as Regional Control switches over entirely to the Delegate in regions that have no founder. It gets more complicated the more questions you ask, though.

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Letoilenoir » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:08 pm

"For what else is the life of Military Gameplay but a kind of play in which nations in various costumes perform until the Moderators motion them offstage?"
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Fratanica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fratanica » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Good to know.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 am

Zorra09 wrote:Nice post

We don't post "Nice post" without an explanation of why you posting.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Vladamir Putin
Civilian

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Wow.

Postby Vladamir Putin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 am

You guys really go hard at this kind of stuff.

Anumia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anumia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 am

Vladamir Putin wrote:You guys really go hard at this kind of stuff.

The main thing to remember is to stop invading Europe. :P

Zwitserland
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zwitserland » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:07 am

Any updates for the regional influence? There's been some new "ranks".

Quenching Fires
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Quenching Fires » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 am

Perhaps you could look at the thread that is still being maintained, and is stickied at the top of this forum, rather than gravedigging this one.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:36 am

Yes this guide is no longer updated. I'm actually not sure how you found it instead of the one pinned at the top. :P For reference; this is the up-to-date-ish guide: Complete Guide to Military Gameplay

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay