NATION

PASSWORD

Not an RP forum?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 am

I asked before and I'll ask again...link?

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 am

Crazy girl wrote:I asked before and I'll ask again...link?

There's no specific thread I'm unhappy about, otherwise I'd have just asked about that. Presidential elections by Voting was just a good example to use to show how 100% fully In-Character threads can be placed in Gameplay simply because they have an indirect relation to the game. Another one could be the In-Character formation of a region or alliance, which in turn may affect gameplay.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 am

Well, I would like to see an example. Or maybe there is none because it is not an issue.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:52 am

Wanbeck wrote:
Crazy girl wrote:I asked before and I'll ask again...link?

There's no specific thread I'm unhappy about, otherwise I'd have just asked about that. Presidential elections by Voting was just a good example to use to show how 100% fully In-Character threads can be placed in Gameplay simply because they have an indirect relation to the game. Another one could be the In-Character formation of a region or alliance, which in turn may affect gameplay.

Having a presidential election in your country cannot happen in the game. If you want to role play an election, you will have to do it in the forum named NationStates.

If you, as a nation, get elected to become your region's World Assembly rep then that would be considered out of character on the forums, even though it is you role playing as your nation in game. Gameplay, as far as I know, is a 100% out of character forum. Anything you want to be In character that is related to your nation, you are gonna have to take to Either, Factbooks & National Information, International Incidents, Nationstates, Global Economics & Trade, or NS Sports. Any region creations, or alliances between regions would be in gameplay.
Like World of Warcraft? If so, take a look at myWorld of Warcraft RP. Sign ups are now OPEN.
Self Declared Fitness Guru of Nationstates. *Flexes*
I'm distant in those hollow eyes

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 am

I don't have any examples I'm just going off what was said here.

If you really want, I could try and find a region which uses a different name for their WA Delegate, eg. President or Prime Minister, because I'm sure they exist. Then if ever that region wanted a roleplay vote on the forum, it would have to be in Gameplay, albeit 100% In-Character.

That's just off what's been said here. I was asking the question, not giving the answer.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 am

Actually, regional votes usually happening on offsite forums.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 am

Cennora wrote:Having a presidential election in your country cannot happen in the game. If you want to role play an election, you will have to do it in the forum named NationStates.

If you, as a nation, get elected to become your region's World Assembly rep then that would be considered out of character on the forums, even though it is you role playing as your nation in game. Gameplay, as far as I know, is a 100% out of character forum. Anything you want to be In character that is related to your nation, you are gonna have to take to Either, Factbooks & National Information, International Incidents, Nationstates, Global Economics & Trade, or NS Sports. Any region creations, or alliances between regions would be in gameplay.

Thank you! This is my whole exact point! I thought exactly the same way as you, until I was told that the thread would have to be moved to Gameplay because even though it is 100% In-Character, it will result in a change in the game.

This is why I believe the labels In-Character and OOC would be so much clearer.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 am

Crazy girl wrote:Actually, regional votes usually happening on offsite forums.

I'm sure they do, just saying though, IF (and it's not totally unimaginable) they wanted to use the NS forum.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 am

Wanbeck wrote:I don't have any examples I'm just going off what was said here.

If you really want, I could try and find a region which uses a different name for their WA Delegate, eg. President or Prime Minister, because I'm sure they exist. Then if ever that region wanted a roleplay vote on the forum, it would have to be in Gameplay, albeit 100% In-Character.

That's just off what's been said here. I was asking the question, not giving the answer.

If that region wanted to roleplay a vote for their delegate they would do it on either the International Incidents, Nationstates, or on their own regional forums. Game play is not for roleplaying, its for discussion.

And what thread? You keep referring to a thread yet you keep saying there is no individual thread. So either you have Alzheimer's or you are a very clever troll me thinks. And the forums ARE labeled In-Character. Read the descriptions.
Like World of Warcraft? If so, take a look at myWorld of Warcraft RP. Sign ups are now OPEN.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 am

Wanbeck wrote:If you really want, I could try and find a region which uses a different name for their WA Delegate, eg. President or Prime Minister, because I'm sure they exist. Then if ever that region wanted a roleplay vote on the forum, it would have to be in Gameplay, albeit 100% In-Character.

Giving a position a name isn't RPing, and I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a 'roleplay vote'.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:00 am

Cennora wrote:
Wanbeck wrote:I don't have any examples I'm just going off what was said here.

If that region wanted to roleplay a vote for their delegate they would do it on either the International Incidents, Nationstates, or on their own regional forums. Game play is not for roleplaying, its for discussion.

And what thread? You keep referring to a thread yet you keep saying there is no individual thread. So either you have Alzheimer's or you are a very clever troll me thinks. And the forums ARE labeled In-Character. Read the descriptions.

I think it will help if you read back through some of the comments on this thread because this is all covered.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:02 am

Wanbeck wrote:
Cennora wrote:If that region wanted to roleplay a vote for their delegate they would do it on either the International Incidents, Nationstates, or on their own regional forums. Game play is not for roleplaying, its for discussion.

I think it will help if you read back through some of the comments on this thread because this is all covered.

I realize its all been covered, yet you keep saying the exact same thing after its been described very clearly.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:11 am

This thread proves how confusing it is when people are insisting strongly either way that fully IC game-related threads should go in NationStates or Gameplay. Can't be that clear.

I've made a good, helpful, constructive suggestion to improve the forums and make them easier to understand, sensible and more open.
And I get an over-defensive response from the site's establishment insisting that I am wrong and almost getting into debate with me over it like I'm making some sort of personal attack. That's no way to receive suggestions for improvement or constructive criticism. Infact it's an embarrassment.

Just trying to help, but clearly some take it personally. The current system is unclear, misleading, offensive and makes no sense to new members, and even established members get confused. But I see how precious you are over it, and you're not responding maturely or sensibly to my comments, nor showing that you trust in and share my intentions, so I shouldn't bother

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 am

Factbooks & National Information
A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In-character]

NationStates
Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In-character]

International Incidents
A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In-character]

Global Economics & Trade
A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character.]

NS Sports
A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character.]

Gameplay
Talk about nation management, regional politics, and why llamas are a cooler national animal than squirrels.

Those are the exact descriptions from the front page of the forum index. If you every role play forum has [In-Character] at the end of the description. The Gameplay forum does not. And while that does not mean In-character discussions cannot happen there, like was already stated, it is very rare that they truly belong in the Gameplay forum. Dunno how much clearer I can make it.
Last edited by Cennora on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 am

Cennora wrote:
Wanbeck wrote:

I realize its all been covered, yet you keep saying the exact same thing after its been described very clearly.

Well then "the thread" you will know is the example I was talking about, ie. a Presidency election. I don't have Alzeheimer's and I'm not a troll. Calm down.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:18 am

Wanbeck wrote:
Cennora wrote:

Well then "the thread" you will know is the example I was talking about, ie. a Presidency election. I don't have Alzeheimer's and I'm not a troll. Calm down.

Ok, then for your example, if you were wanting to create a thread about the election of your nation's president, you would go to the NationStates forum and post it there. However, if you were talking about the actual in game naming of your national leader, sure, you would do that in Gameplay, but you would not rp it.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:18 am

Cennora wrote:Having a presidential election in your country cannot happen in the game. If you want to role play an election, you will have to do it in the forum named NationStates.

But Cennora, I agree with you... yet it has already been confirmed on this thread that it should go to Gameplay because it impacts the game. I'm just highlighting the confusion which you yourself have (albeit inadvertently) proven.

According to you: "Gameplay, as far as I know, is a 100% out of character forum."... yet a thread which is 100% In Character, yet impact gameplay, will be moved to Gameplay, as confirmed in this thread.

I'm just highlighting the confusion, and after demonstrating it yourself, how can you or anyone else here disagree?

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 am

In-Character and OOC labels would make things much easier and make a lot more sense to everyone. That's all. Sorry you are so passionately against it, and I really don't get why. It would quite clearly stop confusion and reduce the need to move threads as much.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 am

Wanbeck wrote:In-Character and OOC labels would make things much easier and make a lot more sense to everyone. That's all. Sorry you are so passionately against it, and I really don't get why. It would quite clearly stop confusion and reduce the need to move threads as much.

I'm not against the idea. I find that it is pretty simple to see that all the role playing threads have [In-Character] in their descriptions, and all non roleplaying forums don't.

Maybe this thread will help you understand. THIS IS NOT A RP FORUM

Its on the front page of the Gameplay forum for reference.
Last edited by Cennora on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 am

:palm: Gameplay contains 100% IC threads which relate to the game. It's not a fully OOC forum. It is confusing, you got it wrong yourself.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:31 am

Wanbeck wrote:In-Character and OOC labels would make things much easier and make a lot more sense to everyone. That's all. Sorry you are so passionately against it, and I really don't get why. It would quite clearly stop confusion and reduce the need to move threads as much.

An OOC label for Gameplay would just result in even more RPers posting their OOC discussions of RPs in this forum.

Cennora
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cennora » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:34 am

Wanbeck wrote::palm: Gameplay contains 100% IC threads which relate to the game. It's not a fully OOC forum. It is confusing, you got it wrong yourself.

I think I see what you're confusing. Yes, when you play the actual game at http://www.nationstates.net you are role playing as a nation.

However, think of the forums as a completely separate website that has absolutely no impact on the game what so ever. The forums even have their own web address to help with this. http://forum.nationstates.net.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 am

Cennora wrote:
Wanbeck wrote::palm: Gameplay contains 100% IC threads which relate to the game. It's not a fully OOC forum. It is confusing, you got it wrong yourself.

I think I see what you're confusing. Yes, when you play the actual game at http://www.nationstates.net you are role playing as a nation.

However, think of the forums as a completely separate website that has absolutely no impact on the game what so ever. The forums even have their own web address to help with this. http://forum.nationstates.net.

I understand that. I'm not confused. It has been confirmed on this thread that a fully 100% IC thread which affects the game goes into Gameplay, even tho Presidents don't exist in the game and the thread is 100% roleplayed. Then you said it should go in NationStates. That shows there is confusion.

Wanbeck
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanbeck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 am

Just a couple of examples skimming over the front page:

IC Threads in Gameplay, because they relate to the game: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91299
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90032

OOC Thread in NationStates, about how a WA condemnation affects your profile
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91616

IC and OOC tags would make it all more straightforward and keep things nicely seperate for the RPers and Gameplayers, instead of the current system with OOC threads in NationStates and IC threads in Gameplay.

Just a bit clearer, that's all. And if people want a place to discuss RP OOC, great, give it to them. OOC: Roleplay. Job done.

You're resistant to improvement because, as already shown, years spent on NS means so much to you in terms of status, how could a noob know what he's talking about.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 am

Those are both regional recruitment threads, they say "move your nation to our region" basically. So yeah, those go in gameplay.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay