NATION

PASSWORD

How to Build a Region

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mayor For Life
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayor For Life » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Offsite Forums

The vast majority of larger NS regions have a forum provided (with ad-dollars) by InvisionFree or their upgraded cousin Zetaboards.

Being able to keep control of this "wild west" part of your region (NS itself will disavow all knowledge and responsibility for what happens there) requires that you learn how to be a prudent phpBB Admin. Being a UCR despot (no democracy) and control freak, I chose WordPress which is a different kettle of fish administratively.

All three have extensive Help Files and Support Forums. It's not rocket science, but it's not plug and play either. One of my ambassadors is an Admin in The East Pacific offsite forum. Ask for Barb.

Mayor for Life
Founder of Ulthar

Carloso
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carloso » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:35 am

Could someone post all the code for a regional RMB. Like horizontal lines.
Flag Maker Trend || Carlossian Food Growers Association || Carlossian Military Grade Fighters || Carlossian Military Arms || Factbook of Carloso || The National Anthem of Carloso

DEFCON
>1 Total War<
2 Mobilized
3 Preparing
4 Normal
5 Peace

NUKE SILOS
1 Attacking
>2 On-line<
3 Prepared
4 On Stand-by
5 Off-line

Civilian Alert Level
>1 Severe<
2 High
>3 Medium<
4 Low
5 Peaceful

Wars
Antonian Invasion

Allies
CREEEEEED
Rocotia
Mercurea
Zersium
Waraqistan
Creed Reborn
Lenehen
New Babylonia
Bendoso
Trantoto
Sarhey
Kalarin

Join the ACSN!
The Carlossian Broadcasting Company News Channel
National website

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Carloso wrote:Could someone post all the code for a regional RMB. Like horizontal lines.

viewtopic.php?p=4719125#p4719125

Those are codes for the forum :P Most of them wouldn't work in-game, and a couple of them work slightly differently from forum codes. The Game FAQ has a list, under "How do I use formatting in my telegrams and posts?"
NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Spartzerium wrote:

Those are codes for the forum :P Most of them wouldn't work in-game, and a couple of them work slightly differently from forum codes. The Game FAQ has a list, under "How do I use formatting in my telegrams and posts?"

And scrolling down a bit from the OP, we find this: viewtopic.php?p=2221364#p2221364

I'm adding links to individual questions now.

Haydn
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 am

How do I establish an embassy between regions?
Allandium wrote:Another war then Haydn? I'll help you every step of the way.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Haydn wrote:How do I establish an embassy between regions?

There are two answers, depending on what you mean.

1) In-game embassy - When you are logged in as a nation that has access to Regional Control, you can request an embassy with another region by visiting that region's Administration page. (You can get there either by searching for the region from your own Regional Control page, or by visiting that region's page and clicking on the link that says "Administration...".) On that region's Administration page, there will be a grey button that says, "Request embassies between [your region] and [target region]". Click it, and wait to see if the other region accepts.

Especially for larger regions, it will help your chances enormously if you already know the players in the target region, and if your region has a decent population and/or interregional reputation. Some regions have rules (either unwritten, or posted on their WFE or regional forum) about only accepting in-game embassies from regions of a certain size or character, or regions with which they already have a forum embassy (see below). If you don't meet the prerequisites, your request will probably be ignored. If you think it shouldn't have been ignored, try sending the Founder or Delegate a polite message to see if your request has been overlooked. Players who don't visit the Administration page very often may simply not have seen your embassy request.

2) Forum embassy - Register on the other region's forum. It helps if you have an active regional forum of your own. Find their equivalent of a Foreign Affairs section to the forum, or a place for embassy exchanges generally. Read their rules and follow them, fill out any forms required, and be nice. Larger regions will often vet regions for size and activity to make sure they don't go through the bother of opening an embassy only to have it go inactive after two posts. By convention, they should give you either a thread or an entire subforum of your own for posting updates, etc. from your region if your application is approved. Consistently posting entertaining/informative updates in your embassies is one of the better ways to build up and keep a good interregional reputation for your home region.... but first, you need a bit of a community in your home region to start out with, or nothing will be happening for you to talk about.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 am

I was wondering how many regional influence categories there are, and how they are ranked?
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 am

Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 am

Fischistan wrote:http://safalra.com/other/nationstates-influence/

Thanks.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

The Reichstag Of Italy
Secretary

Founded: Mar 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reichstag Of Italy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 pm

i do the second way regions get people not the adspam thats stupid no offence but everytime they join they never come back on and is it because they don't play anymore or is my region sending out viruses

Holy Trek
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Trek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the How-To Guide :)
ALSO RP AS: Federate Cherokee State, New Aztlan
Founder/member of: Dual Monarchy of Holy Trek-Inuyashina, Intergalactic Federacy and member of ANTO
Type VII, Tier I Civilization
Pro: Obamacare, gun control, choice, gay rights, Israel, Church and State separation, Liberalism
Anti: Theocracy, Tea Party, Radical Republicans, Limbaugh, Palin, Cruz, Conservatism
My nation reflects certain of my OOC and RL beliefs, a few of which are listed. Don't like it? Don't engage me in debate.
MT nation: Imperial Columbia PT nation: Levantine Empire of Palmyra
Factbooks coming soon!

Anders Almighty
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anders Almighty » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Naivetry wrote:
D. How do you get a World Assembly Delegate?

In order to have a World Assembly (WA) Delegate, you must have at least two WA member nations in your region, one of whom is endorsing the other.

In order to endorse a WA nation, your nation must be a member of the WA as well, and must be located in the same region. You can then endorse the other nation by clicking on the "Endorse @@NATION@@" button that appears on their nation page above the telegram box.

It doesn't tell how you get an WA delegate. Or does it? :unsure:
I rule.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Anders Almighty wrote:It doesn't tell how you get an WA delegate. Or does it? :unsure:

Combined with the game FAQ, it's clear enough.
A nation must have at least one endorsement to be elected Regional Delegate.

Anders Almighty
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anders Almighty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Combined with the game FAQ, it's clear enough.

It does'nt mater what another text on another page says. The header clearly says "D. How do you get a World Assembly Delegate?" That means that it should be stated here, and not in some other unreferenced place, how you get one. I'm not supposed to be a mind reader to figure outw here they have hidden the information.
I rule.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:01 am

It IS stated here. If you have two WA nations in your region, and one endorses the other, you get a WA delegate. What's unclear about that?
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Anders Almighty
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anders Almighty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 am

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:It IS stated here. If you have two WA nations in your region, and one endorses the other, you get a WA delegate. What's unclear about that?

The text says, that to get a WAD you need two nations that are members of WA. One of them needs to Endorse the other.
It doesn't say if the endorser gets to be the WAD, or the the one that gets endorsed does. There's many members here that not have english as native language, so I say it's better co clarify such texts.

Since the how-to-endorse is explained well in the text just underneath, I would re-write like this:

D. How do you get a World Assembly Delegate?

The nation with the most endorsements becomes the regions WA delegate.

In order to endorse a WA nation, your nation must...
I rule.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:36 am

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Endos, updates, and ties, oh my!

Postby Naivetry » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Heh. It was written that way because I didn't want to get into the complications.

Because, one might ask, what happens if you have two WA nations in the region, neither of which is currently the delegate, and each nation endorses the other simultaneously? The answer is (as far as I know), 'We haven't put in the time to figure that out.'

I'll clarify in a moment.

EDIT: Probably one of the longer moments in history, sorry. Had to go sort pottery.

Added "The nation with the most endorsements will become the WA Delegate within 12 hours" to avoid having to talk about update, and added a link to the Military Gameplay section for people who want more info. Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by Naivetry on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Great Mid-North
Lobbyist

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Regional Government

Postby The Great Mid-North » Tue May 15, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't quite get how to set up a regional government, could I get further explanation?
Founder of the Good Guy Alliance

Economic Left/Right: 3.38
Social Left/Right: -0.15

Dislikes: Fascism, Communism

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Tue May 15, 2012 6:45 pm

The Great Mid-North wrote:I don't quite get how to set up a regional government, could I get further explanation?

It's generally done on an offsite forum that you would make for your region. Get all the active members of your region to talk about a charter/constitution and how the government will work, and it can operate on your region's forum.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 pm

The Great Mid-North wrote:I don't quite get how to set up a regional government, could I get further explanation?

As Fischistan said, it's usually done on an offsite forum. I can't resist adding a couple more comments, because the political side has always been my favorite part of NS.

1) Game politics are still politics! That is, if you want to set up a regional government, you need to get people to work together as a group. Depending on the people in your region, this may mean suggesting the project, encouraging people to join in, cajoling ornery nations into playing well with others long enough to form a consensus, etc. In other words, in order to have a regional government, you must be able to form a regional community - otherwise, what are you expecting to govern?

2) Talk with the other members of your region to find a form of government that works for you. You're limited only by your imagination and the willingness of your regionmates to play along. You can take inspiration from current or historical sources (a constitutional monarchy, a federation of nations, the U.S. three branch system, a Parliamentary government, a Communist dictatorship, something resembling the Roman Republic, etc.) or from looking at what other regions in NS have tried. Most regions end up with something uniquely their own - and that's what makes it fun!

3) Consider how your regional government will relate to the game code and/or the forum structure. Some regions have governments that function only on their offsite forums; their Founders and/or WA Delegates take care of all in-game functions as they see fit, without any interference from the forum government. Other regions give some degree of oversight to the forum government - so the WA Delegate's votes may be controlled by the region's citizens, embassy requests may have to be approved by a Foreign Affairs minister, or the Delegate must justify any decision to eject or ban a nation. Many regions also ask their forum administrators to give different forum viewing and/or editing privileges ("forum masks") to their users based on whether someone is a citizen, a minister, a foreign ambassador, etc.

4) Think about what you need and what you don't. Regional governments are different from real life governments in important ways. First, there is no need for your constitution or governing documents to cover all the eventualities that real life governments have to face. You will not have to worry about your regional economy, for example, unless you create one. Second, since NS is its own environment with a unique set of potential challenges, you may face issues (e.g., recruitment) that do not have exact parallels in real life. Some regions find ways to translate NS situations into real life terms (e.g., creating a regional economy where your income is based on the number of other nations you recruit). Many regions also have a "military" to protect themselves or others from NS's equivalent of invasion - or to carry out programs of imperial conquest.

5) Know your limitations. No matter what form of government you choose, you will always have a limited number of ways to enforce your rules, and you will always have at least one person (the root administrator on your forum, or the Founder in your region) who cannot be punished directly for breaking those rules. All government in NS relies on the out-of-game cooperation of the forum administrator and/or Founder, in the end. If these persons prove untrustworthy, you can always 'vote with your feet' and create a new region and/or forum - but that may be your only option.

There's a lot more that could be said... let me know if you have any further questions!

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Sorry to add to an already very old thread, :p

But I am unsure if there are limits to how many regions a single player can found. Right now, I have two, one with this nation (my primary), and another with one of my puppets. Does this break any rules?

I've always been petrified since I founded my current region that I'd get deleted for inadvertently breaking a rule in this way. :oops:

Or, is there a better place to ask this question?

Anyways, thanks for your time, and thanks for the thread :)

Regards,
~ Pluto
Last edited by The Plutonian Empire on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:Sorry to add to an already very old thread, :p

But I am unsure if there are limits to how many regions a single player can found. Right now, I have two, one with this nation (my primary), and another with one of my puppets. Does this break any rules?

I've always been petrified since I founded my current region that I'd get deleted for inadvertently breaking a rule in this way. :oops:

Regards,
~ Pluto

Nope, no limit.
NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Spartzerium wrote:
The Plutonian Empire wrote:Sorry to add to an already very old thread, :p

Regards,
~ Pluto

Nope, no limit.

Thanks for the help. :)
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay