NATION

PASSWORD

BoM in Balder: Operation Ragnarok

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:32 pm

Andusre wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Can you hear us all the way up there on Mars, with your head hidden under that rock? You cannot be that oblivious to gameplay to know that as soon as Quebec got his hands on this little gem, he couldn't wait to post it all over the forums. And will do it again if given the opportunity.

I relish being told by gameplay's resident clueless raider armchair that I, a long-time friend and twice-treatied ally of Quebecshire, have my head under a rock.

If you were a long time friend then you would have known full well what I meant by my original statement......
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Lucy in the Air with Carbon
Civil Servant

Founded: May 12, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lucy in the Air with Carbon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 am

Frenchy II wrote:Why would you waste intel on a forum post?

Because they knew this was intel they'd been sitting on for a while and knew it was already bad by now... and tbf they did try to spice it up as being something more than the nothingburger it was.
At least I believe the people involved were smart enough to know that this was an op that was either dead or would lead nowhere, especially after the big pact was signed, but still they came shouting fire...

And then everyone and their mother seems to have bit the hook.
That's what surprises me here! I still don't know if this actually worked this well because Quebec has some magic charm or because the public has been inhaling some magic silly dust, but some sort of magic has to be involved because if not there's no way this would land like it did... I hope.
Athena "Aegis" Calxur

- Current Sage and Arch of Foreign Affairs of Karma -

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:47 am

Lucy in the Air with Carbon wrote:
Frenchy II wrote:Why would you waste intel on a forum post?

Because they knew this was intel they'd been sitting on for a while and knew it was already bad by now... and tbf they did try to spice it up as being something more than the nothingburger it was.
At least I believe the people involved were smart enough to know that this was an op that was either dead or would lead nowhere, especially after the big pact was signed, but still they came shouting fire...

That's what surprises me here! I still don't know if this actually worked this well because Quebec has some magic charm or because the public has been inhaling some magic silly dust, but some sort of magic has to be involved because if not there's no way this would land like it did... I hope.

Elaborately planning an overthrowing of a GCR government, whether or not it was going to be viable, is not a 'nothingburger'. Maybe to the likes of Osiris who already enjoy flagrantly violating the regional sovereignty of others it's okiedokie, but most people take a serious stance towards that kind of behaviour.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Evil Mother
Attaché

Founded: Jul 29, 2020
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Evil Mother » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:35 am

Lucy in the Air with Carbon wrote:That's what surprises me here! I still don't know if this actually worked this well because Quebec has some magic charm or because the public has been inhaling some magic silly dust, but some sort of magic has to be involved because if not there's no way this would land like it did... I hope.

The magic charm is called "Koths amazing damage control capabilities", you can find it now in a BoM near you.
AKA Icarus
High Mage of Foreign Affairs in The Wellspring
Mushrooms aren’t suited for dragon-consumption

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:49 am

Honeydewistania wrote:

Elaborately planning an overthrowing of a GCR government, whether or not it was going to be viable, is not a 'nothingburger'. Maybe to the likes of Osiris who already enjoy flagrantly violating the regional sovereignty of others it's okiedokie, but most people take a serious stance towards that kind of behaviour.

Not that the Pacific actually achieved couping Lazarus or anything. Yet amazingly I see an embassy between them and the wardens. I suppose we should hire Ivan to come over and post a couple of questionable apologies and all will smooth itself over.....

I'd also like to note that the "victim" in all of this, Balder doesn't seem to be too riled up about it. Instead what we have is a lynch mob, over what would effectively be a jaywalking ticket.....

Lucy in the Air with Carbon wrote:And then everyone and their mother seems to have bit the hook.

There was another player who had the same innate ability.....
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Dacay
Secretary

Founded: Oct 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Dacay » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:16 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Elaborately planning an overthrowing of a GCR government, whether or not it was going to be viable, is not a 'nothingburger'. Maybe to the likes of Osiris who already enjoy flagrantly violating the regional sovereignty of others it's okiedokie, but most people take a serious stance towards that kind of behaviour.

Not that the Pacific actually achieved couping Lazarus or anything. Yet amazingly I see an embassy between them and the wardens. I suppose we should hire Ivan to come over and post a couple of questionable apologies and all will smooth itself over.....

Damn, you got us there, bringing up something that happened...seven years ago? Under a completely different leadership that's not involved with the NPO now whatsoever?

You should consider changing your signature from "Sarcasm dispensed moderately" to "Salt dispensed liberally", because I would say that's accurate with your recent posting tendencies ;)
Moon

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:21 am

Dacay wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Not that the Pacific actually achieved couping Lazarus or anything. Yet amazingly I see an embassy between them and the wardens. I suppose we should hire Ivan to come over and post a couple of questionable apologies and all will smooth itself over.....

Damn, you got us there, bringing up something that happened...seven years ago? Under a completely different leadership that's not involved with the NPO now whatsoever?

You should consider changing your signature from "Sarcasm dispensed moderately" to "Salt dispensed liberally", because I would say that's accurate with your recent posting tendencies ;)

You do seem rather upset over something you are in innocent bystander in. Perhaps a Tiktok career is in your future? What's next? Shall we defund the raiders? Perhaps we should have a July 6th Committee?

wait

Dacay
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dacay » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:28 am

Wayneactia wrote:
Dacay wrote:Damn, you got us there, bringing up something that happened...seven years ago? Under a completely different leadership that's not involved with the NPO now whatsoever?

You do seem rather upset over something you are in innocent bystander in. Perhaps a Tiktok career is in your future? What's next? Shall we defund the raiders? Perhaps we should have a July 6th Committee?

Expected response, not going to lie. You don't have any other retort to that now, do you? Maybe because you know deep down, that I'm actually right? ;)
Moon

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 am

Dacay wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:You do seem rather upset over something you are in innocent bystander in. Perhaps a Tiktok career is in your future? What's next? Shall we defund the raiders? Perhaps we should have a July 6th Committee?

Expected response, not going to lie. You don't have any other retort to that now, do you? Maybe because you know deep down, that I'm actually right? ;)

You never did answer my question. Why are you so twisted up about something that had zero effect on you? Are you a member of the Balder government? I don't see an embassy, so you're probably not an ally. So please regale me with the tale of how you seem to magically care about a region, which aligns itself on the invader side of the spectrum as imperialists are usually raiders. Convince me, this isn't actually manufactured outrage at something just for the sake of being outraged?

wait

Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby Lucy in the Air with Carbon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Elaborately planning an overthrowing of a GCR government, whether or not it was going to be viable, is not a 'nothingburger'. Maybe to the likes of Osiris who already enjoy flagrantly violating the regional sovereignty of others it's okiedokie, but most people take a serious stance towards that kind of behaviour.

...I'm sorry... are we... are we actually playing the same game? Because in all my years here "planning an overthrowing of a GCR government" is uh... Like one of the most common things to happen in this game? And this is for any region in general really, GCR's are just the most common or public target for that because they're the most overrated notable regions around and they lack the safety of a founder so there actually is some threat there.
Other than that calling this elaborate is... giving BoM way more credit than they're due really. From what we've been presented it seems all they did was some basic infiltration stuff (which I doubt they're the only ones actively doing, from both raiders and defenders alike, even as we speak and even in GCRs) and then didn't even achieve anything with that. And, well, infiltration is probably the only thing more common than "planning an overthrowing of a region".

So yes this really is a nothingburger. Evident even by the fact that they had to wait to release it until it could in some way also drag Osiris into the mess because of the pact the feeders signed (and because people saw "Koth" and went "Osiris" even tho... Koth isn't like Pharaoh of Osiris or anything but eh, at this point this is what we expect to see already ain't it...). If just the fact that BoM was planning to infiltrate Balder by itself was a big deal... This info would've come out sooner, because it would've been pertinent to share it sooner in order to stop said infiltration in its tracks as it presented a danger. But it didn't. And it was sat on for a while because that isn't really what this is about... And it really doesn't even take that much effort to remove the upper layer of this "exposé" and figure out the intentions behind it...

IF BoM had been successul in subverting Balder OR this was being done by Osiris and not BoM, then I would totally get considering this more than a nothingburger... But this was just... a raider organization planning the infiltration and maybe eventual occupation of another region. Which I hope I don't have to point out how that's a whole bunch of nothing.

Evil Mother wrote:The magic charm is called "Koths amazing damage control capabilities", you can find it now in a BoM near you.

Eh Koth isn't/wasn't actually doing that badly at least for this occasion... But no matter how good or bad his efforts are it's a bit hard to change anyone's opinion on things when their mind is already made up. And even more so when most everyone else has already picked a side as well.

And again this shouldn't even be that big a deal if people weren't all conflating Osiris with Koth and BoM.
Yes yes, Koth is part of Osiris, but that doesn't mean everything he does is in the name of Osiris, especially when he's doing it under another region and... yadayadayada this is nothing new it has been said for ages, we all probably know it by this point if we've been around for more than a couple of months or so... But people crave drama and making this about Osiris makes it prime time reality TV while keeping it about just Koth or BoM is the ad we all want to skip.

Anyway, now I need to go get myself some more popcorn.
Last edited by Lucy in the Air with Carbon on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athena "Aegis" Calxur

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sandaoguo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 am

Lucy in the Air with Carbon wrote:...I'm sorry... are we... are we actually playing the same game? Because in all my years here "planning an overthrowing of a GCR government" is uh... Like one of the most common things to happen in this game?

We must not be, because this isn't actually true.
Last edited by Sandaoguo on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dacay
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dacay » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:19 am

Wayneactia wrote:I don't see an embassy, so you're probably not an ally.

Oh, that's cute. I like how you're entirely clueless here.

Wayneactia wrote:Why are you so twisted up about something that had zero effect on you?

I'm here because you decided to make an, hm how do I put this, clueless post about TGW (an organization I'm in) and the NPO, and wanted to just point out the obvious thing that you've missed. You'll notice that I haven't actually said a single word about Balder, BoM, Operation Ragnarok or anything related up until now, so your assumption that I'm somehow bothered by this is based on nothing but thin air. Which is kind of what I expected from you, so thanks for being consistent!
Moon

Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby Lucy in the Air with Carbon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:31 am

Sandaoguo wrote:
Lucy in the Air with Carbon wrote:...I'm sorry... are we... are we actually playing the same game? Because in all my years here "planning an overthrowing of a GCR government" is uh... Like one of the most common things to happen in this game?

We must not be, because this isn't actually true.

Ah see this is the sorta stuff I got the popcorn for!.. Tho thinking about it now, popcorn might not be the best choice for a comedy show
Athena "Aegis" Calxur

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:33 am

Sandaoguo wrote:We must not be, because this isn't actually true.

Ah see this is the sorta stuff I got the popcorn for!.. Tho thinking about it now, popcorn might not be the best choice for a comedy show

I dunno, being part of a sphere of regions where planning coups is apparently normalised makes it all the more reason to stay far away from them.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:02 am

Honeydewistania wrote:

I dunno, being part of a sphere of regions where planning coups is apparently normalised makes it all the more reason to stay far away from them.

So this isn't actually about Balder, is it?
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

wait

Devious
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Devious » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:56 am

Honeydewistania wrote:

I dunno, being part of a sphere of regions where planning coups is apparently normalised...
i look forward to the exclusion of quebecshire and TL from defender operations with bated breath. :)
||puppetmaster behind the rightful regimes of warzones sandbox, airspace, europe, australia, and africa||
||gremlin||
||oppressed gamer||
||STAND WITH BALD||

Ikania
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ikania » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:07 am

There are many ways to handle your PR in the wake of this revelation, but this pathetic attempt to downplay the gravity of what Operation Ragnarok was insults the intelligence of everyone reading it.

To so desperately try to label this as a “nothingburger” not warranting any thought is to take us for fools. Let’s cut through the noise and state the fact of the matter: the Brotherhood of Malice planned the destruction of a sovereign GCR, actively strategized what form such an operation would take, and only abandoned the plot when it was concluded not to be viable at that time. This is not ancient history, it was two months ago.

There is nothing about the eventual abandonment of Ragnarok that dampens the severity of its implications - had they the means, Malice fully intended to take over Balder and violate her sovereignty. “We were going to, and even made a plan to, but didn’t” is a pretty poor deflection, considering how the intent remains.

The greater concern of Ragnarok, and indeed in my estimation the reason so many are now severing ties with Osiris, is by what criteria Malice determined Balder a worthy target for destruction. That being, in Koth’s own words, it is defender, and would make an easy target - and also, simply because they could, for fun. Balder is not defender, and that much should be clear to anyone, but concerningly, this fact is moot in the eyes of Malice, who have seen fit to paint any region not aligned with Raider Unity as defender. This is shown by the rhetoric now leveled at Europeia, a pioneer of the ideology laid out on the Independent Manifesto. Now, according to Malice, part of the Defendersphere.

Far beyond merely the failed plot to destroy Balder, the world has been shown that the Brotherhood of Malice will gleefully target any GCR they feel they are capable of taking over. They have no regard for regional sovereignty, and make no distinction between defenders and independents unless they bow to the creed of raider ideology. This should frighten any GCR interested in maintaining its independence, indeed any region at all. Though, frighten might not be the best word, considering the apparent incompetence with which this operation was planned.

It is not at all a desperate reach to bring Osiris’s name into the mix here. They are a Malice-aligned region, that much is clear, whether or not you believe they take marching orders from the Night Father. Osiris has made no commentary about the egregious violation of regional sovereignty planned by their own ally towards a fellow sinker. No, in fact, in addition to official silence, Altino has taken it upon herself to dig in and attack the regions concerned by this plot, joking openly about couping Balder instead of levying one bad word against the Brotherhood of Malice. The Osiris Fraternal Order - a regime borne into gameplay by the direct hand of Malice, it’s in the name of the government itself. The OFO has an opportunity to disavow these actions, or at least to try and mediate, but these opportunities have been scorned, and the position of the OFO on this matter has been made clear.

No, it is not a “nothingburger”, no matter how the Malice spin doctors will try to put it. We have here an open admission of a plot to destroy a GCR, and its perpetrators expect us to treat it as a passing fancy instead of something which they actively explored, planned, and ultimately abandoned. Say what you will, argue, find your hill to die on - but don’t offend our intelligence by telling us this ultimately means nothing. The broader implications of Operation Ragnarok are clear to everybody who connects the dots. We know now what threat Malice poses, or intends to pose, to regional sovereignty, and we can glean that Osiris shares this attitude as a strong supporter of the Brotherhood of Malice and a region which zealously subscribes to the demented ideology of Raider Unity.
Last edited by Ikania on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ike Speardane
Executive Advisor in The League.
Proud soldier in the service of The Grey Wardens.
Three-time Defendervision winner. NSG Senate veteran.
Knuckle-dragging fuckstick from a backwater GCR. #SPRDNZ
Land Value Tax would fix this
СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ

Kursibar
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kursibar » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:18 am

I don't get it, are the raiders bungling incompetent not to worry about, or are they a serious threat to everything we hold dear? And why aren't they just owning this, yknow, "Yeah, we had a plan to coup Balder, what of it?"

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jewish Underground State » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:31 am

I hope that both sides of this conflict know how much of a pain it is to follow along with everything this reveal has brought with it to the forums.
My new main is Jewish Partisan Division

The beliefs posted by this nation don't reflect my current views.

Varanius
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Varanius » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:03 pm

It’s absurd to me that anyone whose spent the slightest amount of time in anything GP can read this and walk away thinking TWP, TNP, NPO, or Balder are overreacting? Why should any of them be cool with plotting not just to overthrow any GCR, but their ally. One of TWP’s oldest allies. It has literally never been a thing to just accept that someone plotted to coup your treaty ally. But from the bottom of my heart, sorry not sorry your friends are facing the consequences of their actions.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Guardian of the West Pacific
Author of SC#401
Gameplays Most Popular

Angeloid Astraea wrote:I can't think of anyone that creates controversy out of nothing better than you!
Excidium Planetis wrote:Yeah, if you could enlighten me as to why you're such an asshole, that would be great.
Koth wrote:Vara is such a dedicated hater, it's impressive
Mlakhavia wrote:Vara isn't a gameplay personality, he's a concentrated ball of spite

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Postby Jewish Underground State » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:14 pm

Varanius wrote:It’s absurd to me that anyone whose spent the slightest amount of time in anything GP can read this and walk away thinking TWP, TNP, NPO, or Balder are overreacting? Why should any of them be cool with plotting not just to overthrow any GCR, but their ally. One of TWP’s oldest allies. It has literally never been a thing to just accept that someone plotted to coup your treaty ally. But from the bottom of my heart, sorry not sorry your friends are facing the consequences of their actions.

I'm sorry I can't follow along with what's going on anymore. Mind telling me what Balder has done?

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:00 pm

Jewish Underground State wrote:
Varanius wrote:It’s absurd to me that anyone whose spent the slightest amount of time in anything GP can read this and walk away thinking TWP, TNP, NPO, or Balder are overreacting? Why should any of them be cool with plotting not just to overthrow any GCR, but their ally. One of TWP’s oldest allies. It has literally never been a thing to just accept that someone plotted to coup your treaty ally. But from the bottom of my heart, sorry not sorry your friends are facing the consequences of their actions.

I'm sorry I can't follow along with what's going on anymore. Mind telling me what Balder has done?

Existed apparently.....

wait

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Postby Jewish Underground State » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:05 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Jewish Underground State wrote:I'm sorry I can't follow along with what's going on anymore. Mind telling me what Balder has done?

Existed apparently.....

Yes but there is clearly something i'm not getting.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:11 pm

Jewish Underground State wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Existed apparently.....

Yes but there is clearly something i'm not getting.

Then I would suggest you start reading through threads. I'm sure you'll be able to piece it together....

wait

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Postby Jewish Underground State » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:15 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Jewish Underground State wrote:Yes but there is clearly something i'm not getting.

Then I would suggest you start reading through threads. I'm sure you'll be able to piece it together....

Here's what I got so far.

The Brotherhood of Malice prepared to overthrow the region of Balder. The plan was exposed to the defender community and thus they leaked it on the gameplay forum and swore to protect Balder from any attempted coups from malice. Osiris has not gone against Malice and has formed greater ties to malice and their friends The Black Hawks. Osiris making alliances with raider regions went against the interests of its defender region allies forcing them to break ties.

Wouldn't be shocked if I got a lot wrong. Let me know what i got wrong.

I'm asking about why they chose Balder to plot a coup on.
Last edited by Jewish Underground State on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay