NATION

PASSWORD

BREAKING: NATIONSTATES ALGORITHM EXPOSED-FAVORS OSIRIS, TSP!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm

-Site lagged into an extra post, sorry!-
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Rhunnland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhunnland » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Rhunnland wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to update without a reload wouldn't it need to make a request from your browser to the server to get that specific information?

There are Strict Rules for interacting directly with the HTML NS Site with scripts - on a serious note, make sure you follow them if you ever attempt such a thing.

Definitely; I wasn't familiar with those specific rules but I was under the assumption that they were forbidden (or restricted in this case) for bots to use. Thanks for linking, though
THE FEDERAL KINGDOM OF RHUNNLAND
A Federal Constitutional Parliamentary Monarchy situated in Central Europe | Embassy Programme | Q&A | A 16 civilization, according to this index
Current RP: The Irogg War
Tech Level: MT
עם ישראל חי

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 pm

So what you're saying is, the more ideologically consistent a GCR is on the R/D/I spectrum, the more nations they get :p

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:So what you're saying is, the more ideologically consistent a GCR is on the R/D/I spectrum, the more nations they get :p

Ideologically consistent as in recent actions, or throughout history? In any case I'd think Balder is the most ideologically consistent of the sinkers, yet...
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Ecclestia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ecclestia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Wishing I had the time to be able to work that out. Very interesting indeed and thanks for sharing!
Ecclestia
Founder & Delegate of the Union of Christian Nations
Chair of the UCN School of Theology
Retired Foreign Secretary of Europe

Neo-Kahiki
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Kahiki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Not sure whether to find this amazingly interesting, or mildly disconcerting on a different level, or both...

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Gorundu wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:So what you're saying is, the more ideologically consistent a GCR is on the R/D/I spectrum, the more nations they get :p

Ideologically consistent as in recent actions, or throughout history? In any case I'd think Balder is the most ideologically consistent of the sinkers, yet...

When thinking of the Independent alignment as being something in which a region both raids and defends, TNP has generally been the most consistent in doing both.

Francois Isidore
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Francois Isidore » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Typical algorithms smh
The Ancien délégué du Nord of Francois Isidore
(a.k.a. "The MacMilitant" Robespierre)
-~-
Delegate Emeritus of The North Pacific
General of the North Pacific Army (NPA) | Join us today!
"Take up arms, defend your home!"

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:11 pm

The game admins should actually bump one of the regions to get about 2% more foundings than the others without telling anyone, and then sit and wait to see how long it takes anyone to catch on with hard numbers.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:The game admins should actually bump one of the regions to get about 2% more foundings than the others without telling anyone, and then sit and wait to see how long it takes anyone to catch on with hard numbers.

What they should really do is bump one of the regions to get 2% more CTEs than the others. Nobody will catch on to that one.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

The North Polish Union wrote:Additionally, virtually all founderless regions are viewed as falling under the defenders' allegedly protective purview. This is a form of colonialism that the great imperialist regions of NS history could only dream of.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 am

Nationstates' spawn algorithm has been messed since day one! Hell has never spawned a nation! I demand 10% of all evil nations should spawn in Hell!
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:26 am

The real travesty here is that the GCRS arent even properly colour coded. Like a not green TEP? Not light blue TSP? What the heck.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:32 am

Aurum Raider wrote:
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:The game admins should actually bump one of the regions to get about 2% more foundings than the others without telling anyone, and then sit and wait to see how long it takes anyone to catch on with hard numbers.

What they should really do is bump one of the regions to get 2% more CTEs than the others. Nobody will catch on to that one.

Warzone Sinking Sand? Your nation CTE's after 24 hours of inactivity in that region
Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:36 am

Numero Capitan wrote:Warzone Sinking Sand? Your nation CTE's after 24 hours of inactivity in that region

That is unironically a $100 april fools idea.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

The North Polish Union wrote:Additionally, virtually all founderless regions are viewed as falling under the defenders' allegedly protective purview. This is a form of colonialism that the great imperialist regions of NS history could only dream of.

LollerLand
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby LollerLand » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 am

Numero Capitan wrote:
Aurum Raider wrote:

Warzone Sinking Sand? Your nation CTE's after 24 hours of inactivity in that region

That would actually be really cool!
Loller Kingsmoreaux Corleone
WA Delegate, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Lord of Autumn of The Autumnal Court of Caer Sidi

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:48 am

Would allow for some extra flouncy retirements from the game too
Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Fauxia
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Back in my day the rants said that the bias favored TNP *shakes fist*

TNP is only 4 new nations behind TSP, so they can be accused of equal advantage!

The significance of this should not be dismissed. The North Pacific receives more nations than it should despite already being the largest region in the world. Clearly, the algorithm is designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 pm

As a high school student stuck inside studying AP Statistics, this is funny and kinda hurts at the same time.

Where's the chi-square test!? Where's the p-test!? Why are you using a pie chart?!?!? (pie charts suck fite me)

Ignoring the class nations because that would probably refute my point and bc they're outliers (this might not be the most sound logic :blink: )

We'll use the chi-square homogeneity test, because we're trying to prove/disprove a uniform distribution. Our null hypothesis is that there is a uniform distribution, and our alternative hypothesis is that there is not a uniform distribution, and that there is a skew. Level of significance is about 0.05, like it is for most things.

For this test, these assumption conditions must be met:
1) Expected Counts are above 5 (which is why I removed the class nations :p )
2) The sample is representative (It only applies to this population during this specific time span)
3) The sample is independent (you can't be founded in more than 1 region).

The West PacificThe PacificThe East PacificThe North PacificThe South PacificTotal
Observed Nations3205323232733354335816422
Expected Nations3284.43284.43284.43284.43284.416422

I got the expected counts by taking the total number of founding (minus class nations) and dividing by the number of feeders (5). It's not a whole number because I removed the class nations. :(

X^2 (chi squared) = sigma((observed-expected)^2/expected) = (3205-3284.4)^2/3284.4+(3232-3284.4)^2/3284.4+(3273-3284.4)^2/3284.4+(3358-3284.4)^2/3284.4+(3358-3284.4)^2/3284.4 => 6.0936

Degrees of Freedom: 4 (number of regions(5) - 1)

p(X^2 > 6.0936, df = 4) = 0.1922
0.1922 > 0.05, our significance level
Fail to reject null hypothesis

Thus, there is an insufficient statistically significant level of evidence that suggests that there is a skew in NationStates' founding algorithm. There is a 19.22% chance that the differences could have been explained via random chance and the associated variation, above our level of significance.

I don't even know how much time I spent on this post. I guess I'm just jaded by all my stats homework and should stop procrastinating. I might've made a few mistakes here or there, so don't flame me for that. :blush:

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Congratulations, though, to TEP and Lazarus, for being decidedly average.

Luv ya. ;)

EDIT: I realized after making this post that I didn't do the sinkers either. Oh well. I'm too tired for this. The AP test is only 45 minutes long now anyway. :)
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Clearly...and by clearly I mean that I did not consider statistical significance at all...there is favoritism in the algorithm towards certain regions!!

Thank you, Altae, for doing what I could not!!

xD

No, really.

If you are so inclined - I figured that the Feeder difference would not be significant, but was curious if the Sinker one was, given larger comparative gaps, or not. :)

PS: If not a pie chart, what *would* you use for "share out of a total?" :P Would you just compared the numbers with bars?
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:PS: If not a pie chart, what *would* you use for "share out of a total?" :P Would you just compared the numbers with bars?

Bar charts are better for displaying numerical information of this sort.

In groups of similar sizes, it is difficult to see the difference between two slices of a pie chart - which kind of defeats the purpose.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Thank you, Atlae, for doing what I could not!!

FTFY :p

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:If you are so inclined - I figured that the Feeder difference would not be significant, but was curious if the Sinker one was, given larger comparative gaps, or not. :)

challenge accepted

No class nations this time! yay

We'll use the chi-square homogeneity test again, because we're trying to prove/disprove a uniform distribution. Our null hypothesis is that there is a uniform distribution, and our alternative hypothesis is that there is not a uniform distribution, and that there is a skew. Level of significance is about 0.05, like it is for most things. (I copy-pasted a lot of this)

For this test, these assumption conditions must be met:
1) Expected Counts are above 5
2) The sample is representative (It only applies to this population during this specific time span)
3) The sample is independent (you can't be refounded in more than 1 region).

BalderLazarusOsirisTotal
Observed Nations250259280789
Expected Nations263263263789

I got the expected counts by taking the total number of refoundings and dividing by the number of feeders (3). It is a whole number this time. :)

X^2 (chi squared) = sigma((observed-expected)^2/expected) = (250-263)^2/263+(259-263)^2/263+(280-263)^2/263 => 1.8022

Degrees of Freedom: 2 (number of regions(3) - 1)

p(X^2 > 1.8022, df = 2) = 0.4061
0.4061 > 0.05, our significance level
Fail to reject null hypothesis

Thus, there is an insufficient statistically significant level of evidence that suggests that there is a skew in NationStates' refounding algorithm. There is a 40.61% chance that the differences could have been explained via random chance and the associated variation, above our level of significance. As noted, much of the difference comes from Osiris having more rebounds than expected. :p

Interestingly, the significance of this is actually lower than with the feeder one. Personally, I think it's due to the fact that there's a larger sample size for foundings (16422) compared to refoundings (789). Looking at those numbers side by side also show that a lot of people came to NationStates from Drew (like a lot) but not many decided to actually come back once they got bored.

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:PS: If not a pie chart, what *would* you use for "share out of a total?" :P Would you just compared the numbers with bars?

Hm, maybe. I mainly objected because many statisticians (including my teacher) think that they're not that intuitive and they're highly overrated. Also, I do most of my homework on paper so a pie chart would mean using a protractor.

If we must do pie charts, there's one developed by Florence NIghtingale that would be pretty fun.

I could go the extra mile and go make a chart myself, but I'm lazy and I'm not that good at Excel. :oops:
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 pm

:clap:

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanglia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:If you are so inclined - I figured that the Feeder difference would not be significant, but was curious if the Sinker one was, given larger comparative gaps, or not. :)

challenge accepted
(snipping the good parts for length)

Brilliant work on both of them mate. Would love to see this be drawn out over a longer period of time, but I feel like that'd probably be a pain in the ass to get the numbers on :p
Senior Warden in TGW. Usual commander of the UDSAF. Constantly snarky.
Views here are my own and not representative of any affiliation unless otherwise stated.
Always watching

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:41 pm

Gr8 clickb8 m8 I r8 8/8
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Kanglia wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:
challenge accepted
(snipping the good parts for length)

Brilliant work on both of them mate. Would love to see this be drawn out over a longer period of time, but I feel like that'd probably be a pain in the ass to get the numbers on :p

If anyone was assed, you could do it over a much greater period, or perpetually, with the happenings shard. But that's coding work. The large sample size of founding over one day was a great chance to do things the simple way.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay