NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Democracy Game!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
South Greesa
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

The NationStates Democracy Game!

Postby South Greesa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 am

Hi everyone. I've had an idea for a kind of 'shared nation' that could be fun. See below for how it would work. Right now, I'm going to gauge interest based on how many replies I get here. If I get a decent enough response, I'll kick things off by making the nation I refer to below.

HOW TO PLAY
1. Read the rules.
2. Submit a reply to this thread. Only do this if you want to play!
3. When it’s your turn, you’ll receive a telegram with the password for the nation (The first person will receive the nation from me).
4. As soon as you get the password, login and change the password to something else.
5. Answer FOUR issues for the nation, and ONLY FOUR.
6. Once you’ve answered your fourth issue, write a history factbook giving a brief summary of the changes you instituted in your term in office (optional).
7. Send a telegram of the nation’s new password to the person immediately after you in the thread. No skipping!

RULES
1. Make sure the next person is ready to receive the password before you send it! Otherwise, it might get sent to someone who’s away, or has left NationStates altogether. Feel free to skip down the list if your replacement doesn’t respond to you.

2. Only answer FOUR ISSUES. If you want to run your own nation indefinitely, you can do that really easily on this website - don’t do it here.

3. There are no limits on repeat replies, except for human decency. If you were just the leader, don’t try and be the leader again for a little while. Feel free to skip someone who has spammed their name.

4. There are no rules on how you respond to issues, or which region you travel to.

5. Don’t change the name of the nation. Try and keep the flag the same, too. Everything else (motto, animal, banners, currency, classification, etc) can be changed at-will.

6. If you get to the end of the list and there's nobody after you, you can keep it until there's another name, or just send it off somewhere else. If you do that, say so in this thread.

7. Don't attach your email to it, please!

8. Once this starts, the nation will be completely out of my hands. If someone skips you in the line or doesn’t pass on the password, there’s nothing I can do. This is going to be run entirely on the honor system. Please don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

Respond if you're interested!

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:00 am

Seems interesting - where do I sign up?

Though hopefully it's within the rules,...

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

South Greesa
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Greesa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 am

You have signed up. Replying = signing up. I'm not sure why this would be in contravention of the rules, it wouldn't pose a threat to any existing nation or user.

Kobanie
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobanie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 am

I want to be involved too

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 am

[violet] wrote:
Regarding Sharing Accounts
What is "sharing accounts"?
As far as moderation is concerned, a nation account is shared if more than one person has accessed it. Whether a nation is being used by a group of players, or a nation is given permanently from Player A to Player B, both instances are shared.

Is sharing nations among multiple players allowed?
It is allowed, but moderation's stance on the act is to avoid it as an unnecessary risk.

What are the risks?
  • WA warnings - If you're sharing around a WA member nation while one or more people with access to it also maintain WA accounts, you run a greater risk of getting caught on the WA cheatscanner.
  • Warning history - If you share a nation that has a moderation warning history, you risk having that history associated with you.
  • Bans/DEATs/DOSes - Sharing nations around muddies the moderation trail and increases the risk of one or more players being at risk for moderation enforcement they didn't actually earn. Although moderation will do what we can to avoid this confusion, if players share nations around enough, it truly becomes almost impossible to definitively tell who has control of what.
  • Nation theft - Fact is, the more people have access to a nation, the less secure it is. If one of the owners hijacks that shared account, there will be nothing moderation can do to help the others recover it.
  • Outright malice - If one person with access to shared account goes on a rulebreaking rampage, everyone with access to that account risks having disciplinary actions levied against them, as the system will have trouble telling Player A from Player B when they both login to Nation X regularly.
So why don't you ban it?
Enforcing such a ban would be impractical at best. Hence it falls under the same general umbrella of "player responsibility" as things like your password security, caution about sharing computers or using publicly accessible ones, and so on. Players can share, and will share, and thus they accept the risks that go with it.

Return to Gameplay