NATION

PASSWORD

Is Nationstates Dying?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Armaros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 am

I see discord mentioned a lot here, so here are a few thoughts:

The problem with discord, in my opinion, is that people have started to use it to replace forums. While discord is an easy way to communicate, this is just wrong: discord is, by design, a place to chat. Forums, on the other hand, are designed for arguements regarding, for example, regional affairs. Discord is just faster: people are online more, and will immediatley respond to an arguement. This makes conversations go faster, and, as a result, arguements go faster and become more heated. On a forum, I personally get more of a relaxed feeling: take your time to write up your thoughts and arguements, and read everything so far said in the thread. It’s also less weird to write up a large body of text to fully detail your ideas on forums; on discord, it will not only look weird but also might just get lost in the ever so fast conversations. A thread is simply easier to read arguements in then on discord.

While I don’t believe discord is a problem in and of itself (it does have benefits), I do believe it should never be used as a “forum” of sorts.

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:39 am

Armaros wrote:While I don’t believe discord is a problem in and of itself (it does have benefits), I do believe it should never be used as a “forum” of sorts.

I will never use Discord as a forum. It has zero security features. IP bans for Discord bans accomplish next to nothing. New accounts are made and you can't check anything and have to rely on fluctuating factors that are not solid enough for most people as evidence unless there is a direct admission of such from the individual in question. Forums aren't a guarantee either, but they're sure easier to monitor than Discord.
Last edited by Xoriet on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:15 am

Xoriet wrote:
Armaros wrote:While I don’t believe discord is a problem in and of itself (it does have benefits), I do believe it should never be used as a “forum” of sorts.

I will never use Discord as a forum. It has zero security features. IP bans for Discord bans accomplish next to nothing. New accounts are made and you can't check anything and have to rely on fluctuating factors that are not solid enough for most people as evidence unless there is a direct admission of such from the individual in question. Forums aren't a guarantee either, but they're sure easier to monitor than Discord.

Forums allow regions to monitor posts and citizenship apps. Those multiing can be identified, and called out should they try anything - like create multiple accounts and use them to vote or hold multiple govt positions. Even if you just use it for that, it makes running a community so much easier.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Americastrailia
Secretary

Founded: Aug 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Americastrailia » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 am

Guy wrote:I am loathe to lecture experienced players on what gameplay needs, but I have to say that as the years go by, the less convinced I am that more conflict!! is the solution to NS' woes. Particularly, I think it's worthwhile to distinguish between interregional and intraregional conflict. While the former has some role to play (particularly through military gameplay), I've found the latter completely not conducive to the good running of a region.

A region is at its most active when its members are willing to put in the hard yards towards a shared objective. Culture is not some airy fairy excuse for people to stick in their manifestoes once in a while - in a great sense, it's what makes a region. Its culture can include its military stance.

I think that principle extends further than you realize. Conflict within a region causes major problems and drives players away. Conversely, I think you will find that conflict between regions invites activity. The "us versus them" mentality of a war between regions fosters unity within each region as players put aside minor differences in pursuit of wartime goals. This is where gameplay happens. The problem is things have become far too stable game-wide for opposing groups to make meaningful progress against each other, so gameplay doesn't happen.

New Rogernomics wrote:I can only speak to my own experience, but when I joined the game I found GCRs far too big, and wanted a small region that wasn't just a smaller clone of bigger UCRs, to make a difference in and be a part of. I found that, and I hope new players still can find that.

It's pretty difficult nowadays to find a small region that is worthwhile. There are just so many failing, inactive, husks of regions out there, and no way to get a quick pulse on which few of them are worth your time - doing so at all is especially difficult for new players. This is where I feel like you are on the right track with changing the telegram system back to manual: reducing the number of options available to new players means good regions can actually rise to the top, because they will put in the required effort to grow.

But longer term, you'll still need generic/dry regions that are always stable and just grow. We already have an overabundance of those in the game. Though what it needs now is regions that stand out, and more ways to engage players in the game - and factions will be useful in that regard when it is implemented.

As of now, feeders and sinkers fill the "generic and stable" niche pretty well. So do a few UCRs. I completely agree something needs to be done about it, but I really don't think factions will fit the bill, ultimately. I like factions, but in my mind it doesn't seem like a concrete enough change to matter. I could be wrong, though.
Last edited by Americastrailia on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Monroe
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adam Monroe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Adam Monroe wrote:Making the regional founder's powers expire after 6 months would make the game a lot more fun in terms of R/D. All current established UCRs would be up for grabs essentially in terms of power. Regional influence would need to be amended as well. Making regions something people have to actually protect would make R/D a lot more fun and would also make the WA (and the fact players can only have one WA) actually consequential.

It would also drive away a number of the the players who are involved in regional communities but aren't interested in R&D, who wouldn't like the fact that if their Founder CTEs -- which is something over which most of them have no control -- they would have to choose between vulnerability to raiding, locking-down with their regions with passwords (and thus potentially dooming them to death by slow attrition) or simply leaving those communities -- in which they might have a lot of time & effort invested -- for more secure ones.
Raiders in the past have tended to answer the aggrieved question "Why can't you just fight each other, and leave the rest of us alone" with ""that wouldn't be any fun"... so, if that's really how you lot think, if you chase too many of the non-R&D players out of NS you doom not just their parts of the game but your own parts as well.

While I understand and appreciate this way of thinking, that those not concerned with R/D would be brought into it unwillingly, the game is also about relationships between nations, and further relationships between regions. This game is also about working together in a community whether it be to achieve something RP related, R/D, WA-related, etc -- wouldn't the actual features of the game (and what draws people to NS) be accentuated by coalition building and the necessity to hold your community together (once the founder powers were lost)?

Making region strength predicated off of WA allegiance (and WA-access) would only grow strong communities. We would quickly be looking at depth over breadth. There are 9 GCRs that are huge and would be strengthened even further, and there are what, 125 regions with over 100 members and 600 more with over 20 members. Taking founder powers away wouldn't destroy "communities" it would actually create new, stronger ones where like-minded people could work together to be "safe" from R/D.

United Kingdom of Scandanavia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Scandanavia » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Zandovia wrote:It has recently come to me recently after a region change, that both regions were greater in the past than they are now (by greater I mean bigger populous)

After a Google Trends search, which is an online website that determines popularity of a website since it’s release, and discovered this chart: https://imgur.com/a/IG7pxyU

Which leaves the question: Is Nationstates Dying?

Many years ago I used to play games like this only using real world countries (or at least the real world map) does anyone know of any games like this that are active that i could join?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:36 am

Adam Monroe wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:It would also drive away a number of the the players who are involved in regional communities but aren't interested in R&D, who wouldn't like the fact that if their Founder CTEs -- which is something over which most of them have no control -- they would have to choose between vulnerability to raiding, locking-down with their regions with passwords (and thus potentially dooming them to death by slow attrition) or simply leaving those communities -- in which they might have a lot of time & effort invested -- for more secure ones.
Raiders in the past have tended to answer the aggrieved question "Why can't you just fight each other, and leave the rest of us alone" with ""that wouldn't be any fun"... so, if that's really how you lot think, if you chase too many of the non-R&D players out of NS you doom not just their parts of the game but your own parts as well.

While I understand and appreciate this way of thinking, that those not concerned with R/D would be brought into it unwillingly, the game is also about relationships between nations, and further relationships between regions. This game is also about working together in a community whether it be to achieve something RP related, R/D, WA-related, etc -- wouldn't the actual features of the game (and what draws people to NS) be accentuated by coalition building and the necessity to hold your community together (once the founder powers were lost)?

No, it would not.
As we do not have unlimited time available for playing NS, many of us would -- as I said -- have to choose between spending that time on 'anti-raiding' activities that do not attract us or seeing the regions in whose development we have time invested thrown [potentially] to the wolves. Being faced with such a choice would not "accentuate" my experience of NS, and I suspect strongly that there are many other players who feel the same about this.
Analogy: What proportion of the R/D-focused players do you think would consider their experience of NS "accentuated" if some change to the rules meant that in order to continue with WA membership -- which would, of course, still be necessary for much activity in R/D -- they also had to participate actively in the GA, not just by voting in their existing blocs but also by reading all of the drafting/debate threads regularly and by commenting constructively there at least sometimes?
How many of the R/D players do you think would consider their time in NS "accentuated" if the only nations that could become regional delegates were ones that had either drafted at least one passed GA resolution or drafted at least one issue? After all, those are "actual features of the game", too...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gopnikea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopnikea » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:45 am

I do not think that it is dying. NationStates still has a lot of players so I wouldn't call it 'dying'.

Custadia
Attaché

Founded: May 29, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Custadia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Bears Armed wrote:No, it would not.
As we do not have unlimited time available for playing NS, many of us would -- as I said -- have to choose between spending that time on 'anti-raiding' activities that do not attract us or seeing the regions in whose development we have time invested thrown [potentially] to the wolves. Being faced with such a choice would not "accentuate" my experience of NS, and I suspect strongly that there are many other players who feel the same about this.
Analogy: What proportion of the R/D-focused players do you think would consider their experience of NS "accentuated" if some change to the rules meant that in order to continue with WA membership -- which would, of course, still be necessary for much activity in R/D -- they also had to participate actively in the GA, not just by voting in their existing blocs but also by reading all of the drafting/debate threads regularly and by commenting constructively there at least sometimes?
How many of the R/D players do you think would consider their time in NS "accentuated" if the only nations that could become regional delegates were ones that had either drafted at least one passed GA resolution or drafted at least one issue? After all, those are "actual features of the game", too...

A game survives on what makes it unique. Roleplay-even facilitated roleplay like the GA-comes a dime a dozen on the internet. NSs' gameplay is unique.
Last edited by Custadia on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA McChimp

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:50 pm

NS is not dying. NS is having a recession, one I hope will be short. The problem as many people have said is that there are just too many regions that are not active. Regions that have 1 or 2 people and never get more than 1 RMB message a week. This can cause people to be bored with the game and quit. Despite me being in a 400+ player region, I almost left NS because I started getting bored of issue answering only, luckily for me, season 1 of cards was released as soon as I started losing interest in the game, so that kept me going on until February this year when I was introduced full-time to the WA (I had previously attempted writing proposals but not for a long time each), ironically, due to a proposal that I very much hated. This got me into the forums and I discovered a whole new aspect to NS. Later on in the year as my old region started dying I moved into a large UCR and now I have more things to do than I can handle! (hyperbole).
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

StupidsRUs
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby StupidsRUs » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:46 pm

*cue the sad orchestral music*
*man dressed in black walks up to a crowd*
Today,
we are here to mourn the passing of one of our greatest friends and comrades.
NationStates died surrounded by their closest friends and family on ____ __________, ______. NationStates-

*dude in sunglasses charges up*
Okay, peeps, it's time to RAP!
An America State of Mind (The Banana Hip Hop)
By DeeAyEssSeaOhOhPee
Yeah, yeah
Ayo, all those couples out there, it's time.
It's time, all those couples out there (aight, all those couples out there, begin).
Straight out the ugly dungeons of rap.

The tail drops deep as does my pineapple.
I never love, 'cause to love is the therapist of rappel.
Beyond the walls of sausages, life is defined.
I think of happiness when I'm in an America state of mind.

Hope the dapple got some snapple.
My chapel don't like no dirty rappel.
Run up to the grapple and get the apple.

In an America state of mind.
What more could you ask for? The wild tail?
You complain about volume.
I gotta love it though - somebody still speaks for the scale.

I'm rappin' to the banana,
And I'm gonna move your americana.

Hideous, big, crazy, like a drum
Boy, I tell you, I thought you were a sum.

I can't take the volume, can't take the towel.
I woulda tried to leap I guess I got no scowl.

I'm rappin' to the americana,
And I'm gonna move your banana.

Yea, yaz, in an America state of mind.

When I was young my therapist had a hail.
I waz kicked out without no rail.
I never thought I'd see that trail.
Ain't a soul alive that could take my therapist's pale.

An ample rock is quite the block.

Thinking of happiness. Yaz, thinking of happiness (happiness).
✦✦ Denn Dumm Dummokrati Vierdumme | "Stultus remanebit stultus" ✦✦
✦✦ The Stupid Stupidocracy of StupidsRUs | "The fool shall remain a fool" ✦✦

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:17 am

NS isn't dying, it's evolving. The communities that are strong are flourishing while the weak ones are slowly withering away.

The thing you have to understand about NS is that it's more anon social media than an actual Nat Sim. The sooner you get it, the better time you'll have.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamebrainia » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Platinia wrote:My main problem with NS is that there just aren't enough issues per day. When I came back after 10 years of inactivity I thought that amount had changed to something like one issue every hour or two. Turns out that was only temporary for a day or so, which is unfortunate because if it was at least 12 issues a day rather than 4, then I would be inclined to play a lot more. There is a lot that I want to change in my nation from past choices but its just way too slow for issues to make much of a difference. Now with the amount of issues being over 1200, its hard to roll one that does make a significant change that I want. If people here feel that is too many per day, then surely the option to throttle it would be there like it is now?
I have to agree with that, and your post actually kind of hints at the problem behind the "popularity" of the game. The kids these days are freaking illiterate, so a text-based game is not going to interest them much.
Speech policing certainly doesn't help either (I got a warning for saying transgenderism was a mental illness). I don't even really want to visit the forum after that, because I remember the Internet as a free platform for sharing whatever, and now there's a truckload of rules that one needs to follow not to offend people. It's disgusting.
The younger generations will not like the communication system (telegrams and forum posts), as it is not as "quick and efficient" as the platforms they are used to.
The game's politics on puppets are hurting the gameplay too. Major events where nations can "compete" against each other (Z-Day and N-Day, for example) are basically just puppet shows. Whoever has the most nations (and the strongest will to live after playing the clicking game for each) reigns supreme.
Other than that, I think the game has improved greatly since when my nation was founded.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Lamebrainia wrote:
Platinia wrote:My main problem with NS is that there just aren't enough issues per day. When I came back after 10 years of inactivity I thought that amount had changed to something like one issue every hour or two. Turns out that was only temporary for a day or so, which is unfortunate because if it was at least 12 issues a day rather than 4, then I would be inclined to play a lot more. There is a lot that I want to change in my nation from past choices but its just way too slow for issues to make much of a difference. Now with the amount of issues being over 1200, its hard to roll one that does make a significant change that I want. If people here feel that is too many per day, then surely the option to throttle it would be there like it is now?
I have to agree with that, and your post actually kind of hints at the problem behind the "popularity" of the game. The kids these days are freaking illiterate, so a text-based game is not going to interest them much.
Speech policing certainly doesn't help either (I got a warning for saying transgenderism was a mental illness). I don't even really want to visit the forum after that, because I remember the Internet as a free platform for sharing whatever, and now there's a truckload of rules that one needs to follow not to offend people. It's disgusting.
The younger generations will not like the communication system (telegrams and forum posts), as it is not as "quick and efficient" as the platforms they are used to.
The game's politics on puppets are hurting the gameplay too. Major events where nations can "compete" against each other (Z-Day and N-Day, for example) are basically just puppet shows. Whoever has the most nations (and the strongest will to live after playing the clicking game for each) reigns supreme.
Other than that, I think the game has improved greatly since when my nation was founded.

Correct, as a person born after* this game was created, people my age find it bizarre that I play this game.
*this game is really old
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Azadliq
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azadliq » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Lamebrainia wrote:I have to agree with that, and your post actually kind of hints at the problem behind the "popularity" of the game. The kids these days are freaking illiterate, so a text-based game is not going to interest them much.

Correct, as a person born after* this game was created, people my age find it bizarre that I play this game.
*this game is really old

As a person born before this game was created, people my age still find it bizarre that I play. Most of them are like "Why would you stay up until midnight playing a video game? What are you, a teenager?" And I just have to explain to them-- in a way that they inevitably dismiss-- that I enjoy the game and that they should try it out too.

Something that might help the player base grow is advertising. Not even a lot, just the occasional ad here or there. I don't think I've ever seen an ad for NationStates-- I found this game after a random Google search. If I had seen an ad for it, I might've joined the community sooner. Idk, it's just an idea.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Occasional ads of a sort have occurred, done by players on others sites in a non-advertising manner.

Azadliq
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azadliq » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:02 am

That's true. And I know the subreddit has seen some activity recently

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Azadliq wrote:That's true. And I know the subreddit has seen some activity recently

The subreddit is mostly just join my region posts, or questions that could be answered in the technical forum. While of the most active threads in the nationstates subreddit was debating the very topic of this thread.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Vetelo
Envoy

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetelo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:54 pm

NationStates is fucking trash. Everyone who still participates in this garbage should quit and save themselves from this ultimately pointless endeavour. You will gain nothing as a result of time spent here. It is better spent doing literally anything else.
USSD Founder
USSF Fleet Admiral
Coalition of Sovereign Nations Citizen
Travelling Region Member
Former Positions

Attero of Vetelo

The joy, let me burn,
in the kingdom of flesh!

Hello, I'm Attero! That's my preferred name.

AKA Atte, Atty, Pracinha, Mjolltrux, Tombouctu, Vetelo, or just Vet.

Supreme Commissar, Governor, and Fleet Admiral of USSD, General Secretary of LSU,

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Vetelo wrote:NationStates is fucking trash. Everyone who still participates in this garbage should quit and save themselves from this ultimately pointless endeavour. You will gain nothing as a result of time spent here. It is better spent doing literally anything else.

I guess that final message in October wasn't so final after all. BRB, putting on Hotel California.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Jocospor
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jocospor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 am

OOC: I wouldn't say dying. This definitely feels like a low point, relative to my experience with the site, which began in 2015. What I would say, though, is that NationStates is becoming less tolerant, and this in turn doesn't bode well for the game's future. The issues surrounding IC/OOC misinterpretations are just one of several problems.

Vetelo wrote:NationStates is fucking trash. Everyone who still participates in this garbage should quit and save themselves from this ultimately pointless endeavour. You will gain nothing as a result of time spent here. It is better spent doing literally anything else.

Wrong. I genuinely believe that NationStates is a space where leadership and communicative skills can be learned. As a Founder, I've found that managing a region - both its government and its people - has been a very rewarding experience. You learn what to take into real life and, well, what to leave behind...!
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | IMPERIAL OFFICES
JOCOSPOR | CENTRAL IMPERIAL DIREKTORATE

The Shadow Cult is rising...

Destructive Government Economic System
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:41 am

Vetelo wrote:NationStates is fucking trash. Everyone who still participates in this garbage should quit and save themselves from this ultimately pointless endeavour.

How long did you spend at the Morton salt factory?
"All I wish is to see the world burn."
-The Great Uniter and Beast of the DGES
(By the way, the DGES is a servant to DEAREST LEADER of Psychotic Dictatorships.)
Just your typical guy who wants to have fun. Don't take this nation seriously,
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!
Keshiland literally wrote:I would give it a no. A country that lies about how free, or how great, or how humanitarian it is can never be developed. Example, NK lies and says they are democratic and are not, the US lies and says we are free yet we incarcerate millions for a medical plant. See we are basically a larger more populated North Korea.

Federal Spanish States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Federal Spanish States » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:08 am

Armaros wrote:I see discord mentioned a lot here, so here are a few thoughts:

The problem with discord, in my opinion, is that people have started to use it to replace forums. While discord is an easy way to communicate, this is just wrong: discord is, by design, a place to chat. Forums, on the other hand, are designed for arguements regarding, for example, regional affairs. Discord is just faster: people are online more, and will immediatley respond to an arguement. This makes conversations go faster, and, as a result, arguements go faster and become more heated. On a forum, I personally get more of a relaxed feeling: take your time to write up your thoughts and arguements, and read everything so far said in the thread. It’s also less weird to write up a large body of text to fully detail your ideas on forums; on discord, it will not only look weird but also might just get lost in the ever so fast conversations. A thread is simply easier to read arguements in then on discord.

While I don’t believe discord is a problem in and of itself (it does have benefits), I do believe it should never be used as a “forum” of sorts.

I think you've forgotten about the existence of "slowmode" in discord, which could alleviate the problem you're talking about here.
Yesn't signature.
The consequences of the creation of NSG have been disastrous for NS as a whole. NSG Delenda Est.
Apparently, the guy who coined the term "Drewpocalypse". No longer active on this account, has moved on to Foehn Paramilitary Regions.
- Yesn't is the only legal way to say no. Change my mind.
- You ever mod your nation's flag into a game just for a dumb idea? Yeah...
- The Spanish keyboard layout is underrated.
- henlo.
- How to avoid getting summerposted on F7

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:10 am

The improvements on my programming skills as a result of doing some of the stuff here (and here) begs to differ.

Not to mention the Photoshop / Illustrator / Art skills, as well as writing, being up-to-date with world events, etc, etc... Maybe you spent too much time in NSGP, which I have nothing against, but you oughta find something worthwhile to do here if raiding and defending is making you saltier than the Dead Seas.

Federal Spanish States wrote:I think you've forgotten about the existence of "slowmode" in discord, which could alleviate the problem you're talking about here.

I would have turned it up to more than 6 hours if I can. :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:06 am

Armaros wrote:I see discord mentioned a lot here, so here are a few thoughts:

I essentially agree. Forums are also more accessible and provides greater opportunities for others (including new entrants) to participate in a topic. After their own region (and rmb vs forums vs discord within a region), these forums are what people see and form their initial mpressions on.

There are countless times where I see an interesting subject already discussed and done on discord while I was asleep, which wouldn't be the case if it was on the forums.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay