NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Today

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
NationStates Today
Attaché

Founded: Dec 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

NationStates Today

Postby NationStates Today » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:42 pm

NSToday is the central location for news media in NationStates, covering everything from gameplay to roleplay to culture. Read our latest edition!

Website | Discord | Apply to Join

We're an inter-regional project aimed at developing a central location for news media, podcasts, and other relevant media. While many, if not most, large regions have some kind of news project (whether run by the regional government or otherwise) there is not any form of project design to effectively collate and centralize news writing and publishing efforts into one platform. Besides services such as the NewsStand, which serves as a linking service, the only place for a player to get their news is to search the NS forums or to visit every region they are interested in themselves. While this does increase traffic to regions, it massively cuts down on the number of players who hear about or care about gameplay or domestic news from other regions and leads to further fragmentation of the community.

Thus, we introduce a platform and an organization that crafts, collates, publishes and develops news from around NationStates, bringing the community closer together and bringing more players into the loop in regards to both gameplay and the affairs of regions from across the world. This organization will not be controlled by any particular region, nor will it be controlled by those who founded it - our Charter outlines a clear leadership structure, led by elected Governors across diverse regions and the writers and readers of the organization. For more details, contact Chief Executive Officer @Somyrion#8047 or Public Relations Director @Cubic#1608 on Discord.

Last edited by NationStates Today on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 75 times in total.

The NewsStand
Attaché

Founded: Jun 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The NewsStand » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Sounds like an exciting project - I look forward to seeing your first edition!

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

First Saturday Newspaper

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 am

Our first full newpspaer edition has been published and can be found here: Link

Any questions about this should be directed to Editor-in-Chief Brihimia on Discord at @brihimia#8845. Thank you!
Last edited by NationStates Today on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NSTODAY
NationStates Today is the most reliable source for unbiased, thoughtful coverage of everything from gameplay to roleplay across NationStates.

This account represents the official opinion of the Executive Board of NationStates Today. It is managed by the members of the Board, namely Chief Executive Officer (@Aga#2700), Chief Content Officer AllWildThings (@AllWildThings#9799), and Public Relations Director Quebecshire (@Cubic#1608).
Forum / Website / Discord / Apply to Join

Mommy Yuno
Secretary

Founded: Mar 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mommy Yuno » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 am

Bri this is one of the best newspapers ever, and incredibly long/fancy/details. I read 90% of it, good work ^~^ and well done research
-yun a reader

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 am

The asking for stamps to be donated is a bit cheeky. Think this is the only GP newspaper that wants financial return for writing.

Besides that, very good paper and hope it continues.

NES Article Page 3 wrote: The regional endorsement cap, limiting the number of en-dorsements a single nation can have, was set to 120.

Minor correction on that. The endorsement cap for the newly appointed princes is 120, everyone else is at 15.
Last edited by Drop Your Pants on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Big Bad Badger
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Big Bad Badger » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:58 am

Mommy Yuno wrote:Bri this is one of the best newspapers ever, and incredibly long/fancy/details. I read 90% of it, good work ^~^ and well done research
-yun a reader

I agree with Yuno. Nice work!
Mr. Badger

I've been told that raiding requires booze and a lack of pants! --Neenee

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am

Looks good, hopefully it lives up to its principles.

I would be wary of soliciting stamps or any other form of compensation. Stamps being turned into a form of currency is against the site rules. To be safe, you should double check with admins that there’s no problem.

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 am

I don't usually read newspapers but there's one thing that bothers me: Fracturing articles by putting the start on the first page then continuing them on another page.

Wycliffe
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wycliffe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:46 am

I don't know what I expected, but whatever it was, this is a lot better than what I expected. This is the most comprehensive NS paper I've seen yet.
Resident of Lazarus
Retired.
Veritas Vincit
Chanson du jour: Look Inside America
The Most Holy Kingdom of
Wycliffe

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 am

I look forward to future editions. I hope this becomes a recurring NS feature.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 pm

The problem with the initial idea behind this organization was that it required citizen-level access to it's member regions and the structure was unnecessarily complex. The spirit of it was appealing but signing on was an enormous security risk to their governments and communities. Additionally, the concept ultimately stole resources from other media outlets and undermined those same media outlets. I think this is the best outcome the whole thing could have achieved. Best of luck to NationStates Today and it's journalists. :)
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:The asking for stamps to be donated is a bit cheeky. Think this is the only GP newspaper that wants financial return for writing.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I would be wary of soliciting stamps or any other form of compensation. Stamps being turned into a form of currency is against the site rules. To be safe, you should double check with admins that there’s no problem.

Thanks for pointing this out. We've contacted moderation about that and they've informed us that doing so is a violation of site rules. As a result, we will not be placing stamp donation ads in our publications anymore.

Drop Your Pants wrote:
NES Article Page 3 wrote: The regional endorsement cap, limiting the number of en-dorsements a single nation can have, was set to 120.

Minor correction on that. The endorsement cap for the newly appointed princes is 120, everyone else is at 15.

Thanks for correcting this. The correction will appear in next Saturday's newspaper.
NSTODAY
NationStates Today is the most reliable source for unbiased, thoughtful coverage of everything from gameplay to roleplay across NationStates.

This account represents the official opinion of the Executive Board of NationStates Today. It is managed by the members of the Board, namely Chief Executive Officer (@Aga#2700), Chief Content Officer AllWildThings (@AllWildThings#9799), and Public Relations Director Quebecshire (@Cubic#1608).

Austerain
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 16, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austerain » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

I hope to see this continue!
Pierce
Deputy Chief of State of Europeia
2 term Vice President of Europeia

North Prarie
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby North Prarie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Oh my jesus. This is great! A ton of newspapers don't have this good of a NSGP section :)
North Prarie. Prarie. Proud TSPer. DemSoc.
Hosting Experience
Prarie Classic Baseball Tournament
Copa South Pacifica 1
WPIC 5
Sporting Acheivments
Round of 16 at Handball World Cup 20
Women's Hockey Round of 16 at Prescott Winter Olympics 13
Prarie Classic Baseball Tournament Champions

Prariean Airlines-Pompeii Industries Luxury Cars-Phoenix Luxury Hotels (V2 Coming Soon)-Stonebridge Simbacat International Airport-Embassy Program
SBT BottomLine-President Valieant welcomes first child Pax, Social Democrats gain big wins in Parliament elections, Lions win NPBL, Cavaliers win Prarie Hockey Cup, NPFA announces slow move away from world affairs

Trabardia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Trabardia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Mommy Yuno wrote:Bri this is one of the best newspapers ever, and incredibly long/fancy/details. I read 90% of it, good work ^~^ and well done research
-yun a reader

Drop Your Pants wrote:Besides that, very good paper and hope it continues.

Big Bad Badger wrote:I agree with Yuno. Nice work!

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Looks good, hopefully it lives up to its principles.

Wycliffe wrote:I don't know what I expected, but whatever it was, this is a lot better than what I expected. This is the most comprehensive NS paper I've seen yet.

Jar Wattinree wrote:I look forward to future editions. I hope this becomes a recurring NS feature.

Austerain wrote:I hope to see this continue!

North Prarie wrote:Oh my jesus. This is great! A ton of newspapers don't have this good of a NSGP section :)

Thank you all ❤ We look forward to continuing the service!

Bedetopia wrote:I don't usually read newspapers but there's one thing that bothers me: Fracturing articles by putting the start on the first page then continuing them on another page.

I formatted it this way in the fashion of pretty much all real-life major news publications. While I'm not too knowledged in the reasoning behind why the editors of the New York Times or the Washington Post decide to make layout decisions, I presume it is to point the reader's attention to all the most important stories of the day without covering the front page with words and words of a just a few articles. It can be mildly frustrating to go from one page to another to finish the article, but as I've learned by reading RL newspapers that problem usually falls to the back of your mind once you get used to it :)

The Church of Satan wrote:The problem with the initial idea behind this organization was that it required citizen-level access to it's member regions and the structure was unnecessarily complex. The spirit of it was appealing but signing on was an enormous security risk to their governments and communities. Additionally, the concept ultimately stole resources from other media outlets and undermined those same media outlets. I think this is the best outcome the whole thing could have achieved. Best of luck to NationStates Today and it's journalists. :)

Thank you for the kind words :)

Our (Lewis Flood and I's) initial idea was to create an interregional media organization that would be democratically owned & operated. This was to ensure that everyone that the paper impacted -- its journalists, its member regions, and its readers -- would be fairly represented in the organization's management and so that the leadership would be dynamic and the paper would not stagnate as a result of the same leadership.

As Lewis explained in his special section on Saturday, there were definitely some hurdles that we tripped over before realizing that we should start off writing articles and getting people's attention. In the future, we will be looking into bringing some of our initial ideas back and talking with regional administrators about how to adequately provide relevant journalists with the information they need without compromising regional security.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

-- Brihimia, from the main nation
Trabardia
Editor-in-Chief of NationStates Today
Minister of Defense of the Communist Bloc

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Reader's Poll: Week of December 30th through January 5th

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

We've posted a new reader's poll at the top of the opening post as well as our region. The results of both polls will be combined and published in the Saturday newspaper.

This week's poll asks: Did you spend less time on NationStates than usual over the holidays?
NSTODAY

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Today » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello all.

Over the last week, we have published the following articles, all of which will also be included in the Saturday Edition due to be released later today.

In the future we hope to provide more frequent postings throughout the week! Every time an article is posted our Discord is alerted, so you can join it to get the latest news.

</Lewis>
NSTODAY

Vetelo
Envoy

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetelo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:The asking for stamps to be donated is a bit cheeky. Think this is the only GP newspaper that wants financial return for writing.

Yeah once again in typical TCB fashion, they beg their users for money.

It's a good concept and the site has some nice design, but I can't see this being anything but another TCB propaganda mouthpiece. So beware of that. We can already see a demonstration of this in their Soviet Democracy article, which looks like an article you'd read in Pravda. Soviet Democracy Dares to Defy Now I don't even necessarily support SD, but what they did is not an uncommon practice by any means, and certainly not a reason for sanctions or whatever you're calling for. In fact, Mcmannia in HYDRA Command recently decided to recruitment telegram The Pacific, The South Pacific, and my region, the USSD. If this was such a dishonorable practice or whatever, then why wasn't there an article about that? The only reason you chose to write that article about SD is because you already closed embassies with them after a fascist supposedly being in their server. That sounds rather familiar, like when TCB reached out to me and my region and pretended to be friendly, and established an embassy with us. Only, days after that, they used the opportunity to post defamatory messages on our RMB, and mass telegram my entire region to tell everyone that I am a "fascist collaborator". You have "poached" a few members that I can think of using similar tactics. Absolutely hypocritical and I would personally avoid reading this drivel at all. I certainly can't approve any news coming from a region that consistently lies to its own citizens and the public. Maybe when they stop calling me of all people a fascist I'll give it a shot C:
USSD Founder
USSF Fleet Admiral
Coalition of Sovereign Nations Citizen
Travelling Region Member
Former Positions

Attero of Vetelo

The joy, let me burn,
in the kingdom of flesh!

Hello, I'm Attero! That's my preferred name.

AKA Atte, Atty, Pracinha, Mjolltrux, Tombouctu, Vetelo, or just Vet.

Supreme Commissar, Governor, and Fleet Admiral of USSD, General Secretary of LSU,

North Prarie
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby North Prarie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Vetelo wrote:

It's a good concept and the site has some nice design, but I can't see this being anything but another TCB propaganda mouthpiece. So beware of that. We can already see a demonstration of this in their Soviet Democracy article, which looks like an article you'd read in Pravda. Soviet Democracy Dares to Defy Now I don't even necessarily support SD, but what they did is not an uncommon practice by any means, and certainly not a reason for sanctions or whatever you're calling for. In fact, Mcmannia in HYDRA Command recently decided to recruitment telegram The Pacific, The South Pacific, and my region, the USSD. If this was such a dishonorable practice or whatever, then why wasn't there an article about that? The only reason you chose to write that article about SD is because you already closed embassies with them after a fascist supposedly being in their server. That sounds rather familiar, like when TCB reached out to me and my region and pretended to be friendly, and established an embassy with us. Only, days after that, they used the opportunity to post defamatory messages on our RMB, and mass telegram my entire region to tell everyone that I am a "fascist collaborator". You have "poached" a few members that I can think of using similar tactics. Absolutely hypocritical and I would personally avoid reading this drivel at all. I certainly can't approve any news coming from a region that consistently lies to its own citizens and the public. Maybe when they stop calling me of all people a fascist I'll give it a shot C:

:blink:
NST isn't a TCB-run newspaper, dude. A ton of our staff (including me) are from other regions.
Maybe look into things a little further before you post stuff like this :/
North Prarie. Prarie. Proud TSPer. DemSoc.
Hosting Experience
Prarie Classic Baseball Tournament
Copa South Pacifica 1
WPIC 5
Sporting Acheivments
Round of 16 at Handball World Cup 20
Women's Hockey Round of 16 at Prescott Winter Olympics 13
Prarie Classic Baseball Tournament Champions

Prariean Airlines-Pompeii Industries Luxury Cars-Phoenix Luxury Hotels (V2 Coming Soon)-Stonebridge Simbacat International Airport-Embassy Program
SBT BottomLine-President Valieant welcomes first child Pax, Social Democrats gain big wins in Parliament elections, Lions win NPBL, Cavaliers win Prarie Hockey Cup, NPFA announces slow move away from world affairs

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Well, that explains the leaks of several pieces of OOC drama from that channel. Thanks for solving that question, TSP.

Vetelo
Envoy

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetelo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:22 pm

North Prarie wrote: :blink:
NST isn't a TCB-run newspaper, dude. A ton of our staff (including me) are from other regions.

The Chairman is Lewis Flood, who is the leader of TCB. The Editor in Chief is Brihimia/Trabardia, MoD of TCB. So it's operated by TCB and it's obvious how involved they are in the actual writing of articles. You really can't avoid being associated with them when they are in the two top positions of the paper, and when most of the content so far has been written by someone with their perspective. I'm looking on the site and all I can see listed for the executive board is TCB members, no one in the editorial staff, and a bunch of correspondents, some of them also being from TCB.

Maybe you should reconsider being a part of their staff if you don't want to be part of their propaganda too?
Last edited by Vetelo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USSD Founder
USSF Fleet Admiral
Coalition of Sovereign Nations Citizen
Travelling Region Member
Former Positions

Attero of Vetelo

The joy, let me burn,
in the kingdom of flesh!

Hello, I'm Attero! That's my preferred name.

AKA Atte, Atty, Pracinha, Mjolltrux, Tombouctu, Vetelo, or just Vet.

Supreme Commissar, Governor, and Fleet Admiral of USSD, General Secretary of LSU,

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls, the leader of raider organization The Black Hawks, noticed this opportunity and convinced his fellow raiders to join him on a mission to move into The South Pacific and make Tsunamy delegate

Mild thing, this reads like Souls jumped with Hydra, which I don't think the logs said

Otherwise good articles (okay, I only read the Red Phone & Cormac ones >_>)!

Th Empire of Wymondham
Attaché

Founded: Dec 07, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Th Empire of Wymondham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 am

Vetelo wrote:

The Chairman is Lewis Flood, who is the leader of TCB. The Editor in Chief is Brihimia/Trabardia, MoD of TCB. So it's operated by TCB and it's obvious how involved they are in the actual writing of articles. You really can't avoid being associated with them when they are in the two top positions of the paper, and when most of the content so far has been written by someone with their perspective. I'm looking on the site and all I can see listed for the executive board is TCB members, no one in the editorial staff, and a bunch of correspondents, some of them also being from TCB.z

Maybe you should reconsider being a part of their staff if you don't want to be part of their propaganda too?

As Prarie said, a large part of the staff is from other regions, the only thing they are involved in when it comes to the writing of articles is editing, ensuring neutrality in the direction of a non-opinion piece. Thye in no way control the writing and direction of articles not written by themselves
Unless stated otherwise my views are my own and do not necessarily represent those of NSToday or the Osiran Government
NSToday PR Director and Osiris Vizier of FA

Stiegae
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Stiegae » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:57 am

Vetelo wrote:

The Chairman is Lewis Flood, who is the leader of TCB. The Editor in Chief is Brihimia/Trabardia, MoD of TCB. So it's operated by TCB and it's obvious how involved they are in the actual writing of articles. You really can't avoid being associated with them when they are in the two top positions of the paper, and when most of the content so far has been written by someone with their perspective. I'm looking on the site and all I can see listed for the executive board is TCB members, no one in the editorial staff, and a bunch of correspondents, some of them also being from TCB.

Vetelo wrote:

Hi Vetelo,

Few things;
1) We have been exceedingly open from the outset about our intent for this paper, and have never tried to hide our founders' home region.
2) Our staff come from a range of regions, and we have done our best to ensure there is no bias in the recruitment and writing process.
3) We have clear editorial guidelines that outline the duty of our writers in staying as neutral as possible.
4) We have not had the opportunity to appoint any other editors as of yet, being that we are a week old. Our process for appointing editors will include a discussion with writers as to our pick before it goes ahead, with the intent of making sure we get the agreement of our writers for their own editors.
5) We will not be asking for stamps again, and our advertising will be allotted to regions for free based on a lottery system, which will be established mid week.
6) I am not the leader of TCB, and haven't been for over a year - I know this is a foreign concept to you, but our region is based on strong democratic traditions, and I hold no position that gives me political power (my official role is Administrator, and I am in charge of Discord and parts of the forum. However, I am in de-facto retirement from TCB affairs). While Bri is Minister of Defense, I trust him to write and edit articles in a neutral manner.
7) In the Soviet Democracy article you list, we included a disclaimer that this wasn't our (NS Today's) official position on the matter. In the future, such articles will be more clearly labelled if they include opinioned views.

While I appreciate that you hold a grudge against TCB for making you PNG, and more generally against the majority of the NS Left community, I think you need to try and judge this project on its merits. If this was a propaganda project, it would be obvious. And I wouldn't have offered writing positions to people from regions that are not aligned at all with TCB.

For everyone else, unfortunately Bri/Trab has been unable to finish the Saturday Edition on time. He did his best, but he is only human :P I expect it will be released today, and in the future we will have more robust procedures within the Graphics & Publishing team to ensure we get all editions out on time. In the meantime, we have released four new articles that you can read right now on our website!

Best Regards,
Lewis
Chairman, NS Today

Edit: I should stress that if anyone wants to help add a larger range of opinions and regional positions to our paper, you should apply. We are open to almost anyone. We also need creative writers for our roleplay section. If you don't want to write, we also have positions in the Graphics and Publishing Team. You can apply here.
Last edited by Stiegae on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Saturday's issue can be found here: https://nationstates.news/saturday-edition-5th-january-2019/270/

Any questions should be directed at @brihimia#8845 on Discord :)
NSTODAY

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay