NATION

PASSWORD

Empyrean: the Final Frontier

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Empyrean: the Final Frontier

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Region | Forum | Discord

About Empyrean
Welcome to Empyrean, an interstellar economic simulator and warfare strategy region, with a sci-fi galactic theme and roleplay setting. With our multitude of systems you can create governments, survey and colonize planets, develop industries, manage taxes and fight wars. If you don't want to play a nation you can form a pirate clan that harasses civilized space or roleplay as a politician, military figure or just be an outlaw in the vast expanse of Empyrean's universe.

We are also working on incorporating interstellar corporations that compete to research and sell their products to fuel a changing galaxy. So whether you're looking for war and conquest or to form a grand alliance that fosters interstellar trade, come and colonise your home system today and begin your nation's journey across the stars.

Active Players: 14

Do I have to join your region to play?

Not at all. We play via our offsite region forum and discord sever, where we provide you with space to develop your factbooks and dossiers. This allows you to play with our region and another.

What exactly is Empyrean?
Empyrean started out as an economic simulator, capable of allowing a player to create and manage a nation as well as trade and go to war with other nations. Combined with forum roleplaying this formed the foundations of what Empyrean is, but it's also grown to include the idea of being an even deeper economic simulator with corporations and stock trading. In the future we always plan to develop a lot of character centric systems as well. All of this is centered around a sci-fi setting where nations colonize and develop star systems, design alien species and explore the mysteries of the universe.

So how does gameplay work? And how can I get started in Empyrean?
Gameplay is centered around many different mechanics it's in your best interest to learn. Whilst the math can be a little overwhelming in theory, we've already developed spreadsheet calculators that do all the practical work for you, and we're in the process of developing a UI that hides all the math completely. Nevertheless, to be an effective nation, learning how the system works is in your best interest.

For example, you'll set tax levels which affect GDP revenue and you'll set investment costs in things like Healthcare and Education that dramatically affected labour and populations which in turn will affect taxes.

Getting started with Empyrean is the easy part. First, come introduce yourself to the community on Discord, then when you feel like you've got a basic understanding of the game we'll invite you to submit a species and nation application, in that order. You'll start producing industry and roleplay your nation's introduction to the galactic stage.

How do species and nation applications work and how can I submit them?
Each application is currently submitted via the forum, where templates tell you of how they should be presented. You'll also find previous applications listed which will give you an idea of how to create your own. But It's important to stress that we don't just accept any application we receive. In order to protect Empyrean's canonical integrity, we vet all applications and if we think something can work, we'll endeavour to aid it getting it approved. It's always important for applicants to have read up on the game and setting first.

Are there any specific rules or restrictions on what kind of species/nation we can create?
Only in so far as we promote realism, in the sense that you can justify more sci-fi aspects of your applications with reasoning that we can accept. If you've not taken time to learn the setting and see how you can fit into our galactic community, it's unlikely your applications will go very far.

If my species and/or nation application gets approved, what happens afterwards? Where do I go from there?
Once you've had your species application approved you move on to the nation application, once that's approved, you move onto setting up your industry which involves submitting product applications for anything you can't find on the Empyrean Exchange. Commodities ie. base materials are pretty straight forward in being accepted, but more complex products need community discussion and production mapping before approval as they have the influence to change global gameplay if accepted.

Once all application stages are completed and your industries are established, you are free to run your government, find and colonise new worlds and roleplay internal politics and galactic diplomacy or even war where you'll also use war mechanics.

Legacy Thread
Last edited by Varrosha on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Empyrean Setting
Towards the end of the 21st century, Earth achieved the technological singularity, giving birth to the first Artificial Intelligences who quickly became godlike-entities that were, in some cases, worshipped. However with this success came the next great World War and the A.I. left Earth, abandoning humanity to chaos as vital systems controlled by them failed in their absence.

Humanity fell into a dark age as nuclear war consumed the Earth, post-apocalyptic in it's outcome. Centuries passed and just as all hope for the future seemed lost, the A.I. returned. They came with an armada of ships and synthetics pursuing and capturing every human they could find, imprisoning them in a form of cryo-stasis.

When these prisoners awoke, they found themselves on new world's under new stars, spread throughout the galaxy, cut off from Earth and each other. Under the watchful guidance of the A.I., humanity was encouraged to begin anew on these so called 'Seed Worlds', thus ensuring their survival as Avatar's intended. But unbeknownst to everyone, in the time since the A.I. had left Earth a cabal of scientists successfully developed an encryption virus known as the nanophage that infected the A.I. upon their return, slowly encrypting their code and shutting them down one by one.

By the time the A.I. knew what was happening, only a few remained unscathed. These last surviving A.I. fled into the void, but their legacy was complete. Mankind had been seeded across the stars and yet left to fend for itself forgotten and alone.

Seven thousand years have passed since that all-but-forgotten exodus of mankind took place. In the time since these worlds have grown diverse and unique. Some have even begun to colonise their solar systems, whilst others still languish in technological backwaters.

But one by one they are discovering the last gift of the A.I.: Quantum Gates, doorways into the Quantum Rift, natural fissures in spacetime that allow rapid travel across the galaxy. Some gates lead to untouched worlds, others offer reunion with long-lost seed worlds, yet others invite first contact of another nature all together.
Last edited by Varrosha on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fecaw
Envoy

Founded: Feb 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fecaw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm

For a region with 2 nations, I would focus on recruitment rather than colonies.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:02 am

@Fecaw hey, thanks for the reply we actually have 4 nations involved (you don't have to join our NS region to play). Also by colonies I am referring to new players, it was just a colloquial ad title. Thanks again for getting in touch.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 am

We're now preparing to begin roleplay from October 1st. In the meantime our players have begun prepping their nations' dossiers and factbooks. We've officially opened the Interplanetary Commodities Trading Index today alongside documentation about how to develop industry on colonies' resource slots. The ICTI allows players to custom define commodities within our system which will have ripple effects across the galactic markets creating organic supply and demand chains. It's all very exciting stuff, and we welcome anyone to come chat with us on Discord to learn more.

Abverast
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Abverast » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 am

Varrosha wrote:We're now preparing to begin roleplay from October 1st. In the meantime our players have begun prepping their nations' dossiers and factbooks. We've officially opened the Interplanetary Commodities Trading Index today alongside documentation about how to develop industry on colonies' resource slots. The ICTI allows players to custom define commodities within our system which will have ripple effects across the galactic markets creating organic supply and demand chains. It's all very exciting stuff, and we welcome anyone to come chat with us on Discord to learn more.

I already got a idea to get my people introduced, going to write my fact book accordingly.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 am

That's awesome Abverast, Iooking forward to hearing all about it!

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:31 am

Thanks to the support we've gotten from our newest players, we are well on track to finishing the basic mechanics ahead of RP next month. Right now we're developing consumption mechanics to calculate sales tax revenues.

If you're interested in system designing, economics or politics in a sci-fi/space setting, pop on by and help us stress-test our mechanics. I've also added some setting information in the initial posts above.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm

As our system develops it's becoming clearer we need some people in the community interested in starting sci-fi corporations. My hope is to consult with these interstellar titans of industry to deliver the best mechanics possible to serve their interests and desires.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm

We're fast approaching our 1 month anniversary as a community with 10 enthusiastic players already. System UI design has begun and we are going to be test-driving a prototype before the end of October. We've welcomed some class acts to Empyrean and people are throwing themselves into government and species design ahead of our official gameplay start date of October 1st. Join us today, where will the rift take you?

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 am

Lots of stuff happening right now. Full steam ahead with UI design and development. We've almost got the bones of the economic system functional then its on to updating and expanding the war mechanics. We're on track for gameplay beginning October 1st and we've got some exciting nations forming in the shadows.

You don't need to join our NS region to play and feel free to come have a chat on discord with us and find out more.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am

Today's been a great day for Empyrean. The Commodities Exchange mechanics were completed and industry and trade mechanics are now operational ahead of gameplay launch in 2 days. Meanwhile we've established the laws of relativity in an ingenious way (if I do say so myself), whereby the chosen relativity controls the speed of the game for the player without ruining the game for those seeking a faster or slower pace. More incredibly still, we've managed to maintain the capability of war in different relativity zones, guaranteeing galactic war can be achieved.

Come hang out with our budding community on Discord to find out more!!

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:00 pm

This sounds pretty cool.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Great graphics too
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 am

@Jar & @Queen thanks so much for your kind words.

Empyrean's roleplay begins tomorrow. We're all super-excited and the prologue roleplay has begun today, leading to the gate network activating for everyone tomorrow.

In the first month we'll be doing the initial roleplay and testing combat/war mechanics. Economics and trade won't begin until November 1st, at the start of the 2nd Galactic Standard cycle and it gives us another month to work on all the mechanics.

The game mechanics are absolutely massive, and still need lots of bug-fixing and overhauls as we move forward. But despite how much there is, it's only a tenth of what's planned. Come chat with our bubbling little community and join something I hope you'll agree ,is pretty special.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:56 am

Thread's first post updated with the FAQ below. UI development going well. Roleplay is now live in Empyrean.

What exactly is Empyrean?
Empyrean started out as an economic simulator, capable of allowing a player to create and manage a nation as well as trade and go to war with other nations. Combined with forum roleplaying this formed the foundations of what Empyrean is, but it's also grown to include the idea of being an even deeper economic simulator with corporations and stock trading. In the future we always plan to develop a lot of character centric systems as well. All of this is centered around a sci-fi setting where nations colonize and develop star systems, design alien species and explore the mysteries of the universe.

So how does gameplay work? And how can I get started in Empyrean?
Gameplay is centered around many different mechanics it's in your best interest to learn. Whilst the math can be a little overwhelming in theory, we've already developed spreadsheet calculators that do all the practical work for you, and we're in the process of developing a UI that hides all the math completely. Nevertheless, to be an effective nation, learning how the system works is in your best interest.

For example, you'll set tax levels which affect GDP revenue and you'll set investment costs in things like Healthcare and Education that dramatically affected labour and populations which in turn will affect taxes.

Getting started with Empyrean is the easy part. First, come introduce yourself to the community on Discord, then when you feel like you've got a basic understanding of the game we'll invite you to submit a species and nation application, in that order. You'll start producing industry and roleplay your nation's introduction to the galactic stage.

How do species and nation applications work and how can I submit them?
Each application is currently submitted via the forum, where templates tell you of how they should be presented. You'll also find previous applications listed which will give you an idea of how to create your own. But It's important to stress that we don't just accept any application we receive. In order to protect Empyrean's canonical integrity, we vet all applications and if we think something can work, we'll endeavour to aid it getting it approved. It's always important for applicants to have read up on the game and setting first.

Are there any specific rules or restrictions on what kind of species/nation we can create?
Only in so far as we promote realism, in the sense that you can justify more sci-fi aspects of your applications with reasoning that we can accept. If you've not taken time to learn the setting and see how you can fit into our galactic community, it's unlikely your applications will go very far.

If my species and/or nation application gets approved, what happens afterwards? Where do I go from there?
Once you've had your species application approved you move on to the nation application, once that's approved, you move onto setting up your industry which involves submitting product applications for anything you can't find on the Empyrean Exchange. Commodities ie. base materials are pretty straight forward in being accepted, but more complex products need community discussion and production mapping before approval as they have the influence to change global gameplay if accepted.

Once all application stages are completed and your industries are established, you are free to run your government, find and colonise new worlds and roleplay internal politics and galactic diplomacy or even war where you'll also use war mechanics.

Fecaw
Envoy

Founded: Feb 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fecaw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Good luck! You seem very professional.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 pm

And I'm back with updates. I've added some images below of a UI system we are designing for the region's game (I tried to resize them smaller, but no bbcodes would work, unfortunately).

Lot's of stuff going on via the forum and discord right now. Gameplay has begun as has roleplay, we've already got 3 alien species/nations playing and another 4 about to begin. We've opened up character applications and roleplay as well, from more traditional roleplaying about a slice of life to political and military character roleplay.

Corporation mechanics are basically done, but there's a bunch of retuning going on with the system before the economy kicks off next month, when our nations' industries produce their first list of exports.

But I'm really REALLY excited about a new sub-system I'm designing that allows players to design their planetary objects in much more detail. It pulls us away from 1 biome planets, making them much more varied like earth, and it opens us up to multiple colonies from different nations competing for resources on the same planets. Very exciting stuff, not to mention mechanics are getting retuned into have education play a more prominent role in job growth.

Last edited by Varrosha on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 am

Last edited by Varrosha on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 am

Pro-tip, the spoiler is your best friend. Best if you spoiled each image individually to spare people's data.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

DACOROMANIA
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby DACOROMANIA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:55 am

Graphics are cool, but I don't know what program do you use.
Could you do something similar, but more simple? I may intend to use a graphic version if good.
Leader of DACOROMANIA, Founder of Roman Byzantine Union.

I wish to save human race and to build a new nation-state, with ideals like human rights, peace and prosperity for all despite of any difference, avoiding the tyranny and preserving the liberty. To grow, to aid and save each other. Also going interstellar. Even if abandoned by family and nobody cares, I wish to do something important in life before to die, something that may really count.
I'm so alone on Earth and I see how the world may fall into chaos. All looks irrational and immoral. It's a pain to not be able to do anything and to be surrounded by barbarians.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm

This is an online tool co-ordinated with our forum, it's not for other regions to use, only Empyrean.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am

As ever Empyrean continues to move along with its development and design, we a small but dedicated group of players socialising, discussing space, time, economics and the many sciences. We would love to welcome new members to our little community and we look forward to showing you the incredible madness that is the 'empyrean experience'. Come join us on Discord (link on 1st post)!!!

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Varrosha wrote:This is an online tool co-ordinated with our forum, it's not for other regions to use, only Empyrean.

You don't get thread ownership in Gameplay. Other players are welcome to comment on your region here.
EDIT: Derp, misread and thought it said the forum thread was region-only, instead of talking about the tool. My bad, sorry 'bout that.
Last edited by Reploid Productions on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Kuriko
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kuriko » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:
Varrosha wrote:This is an online tool co-ordinated with our forum, it's not for other regions to use, only Empyrean.

You don't get thread ownership in Gameplay. Other players are welcome to comment on your region here.

Varrosha was speaking about the tool they use to create their RP civilizations, not this thread.
WA Secretary-General
TITO Tactical Officer of the 10000 Islands
Registrar-General and Chief of Staff of the 10000 Islands
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Former TITO Tactical Officer
Former Commander of TGW, UDSAF, and FORGE
Proud founder of The Hole To Hide In
Person behind the Regional Officer resignation button
Person behind the Offsite Chat tag and the Jump Point tag
WA Character limit increase to 5,000 characters

Next

Advertisement