NATION

PASSWORD

Does installing Monarchy Policy deplete political freedoms?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Oppermenia
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Does installing Monarchy Policy deplete political freedoms?

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Okay, so something I've wanted to do for my nation was install a monarchy policy, but I'd chose an option for a constitutional monarchy, which would be more politicians ruling.
I haven't installed it yet, so I want to know the effects.
So, I have an idea for government structure that has a monarchy, but it's very specific, and you can't really get that specific in nationstates. You can only do what an issue gives you.
But, my nation has really good political freedoms. And I want to install a constitutional monarchy, but I don't know how it'd affect political freedoms. It'd be less political freedoms depleted than an absolute monarchy, but I just wanted to know. Would installing a constitutional monarchy hurt my political freedom, even if it were just symbolic? Someone please help me before I'm set on installing a monarchy, I value my political freedoms. If someone could help, it'd be much appreciated.
To read more about the government structure I came up with, go here:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook/id=1057437
Last edited by Oppermenia on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stick to the pack, and the pack will provide."
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
If you cross us, however, then as a pack, we will hunt you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:37 pm

To anyone that has installed a Monarchy policy with the constitutional monarchy option for an issue, does it hurt a nation's political freedom? Or, a better question: Did it lower your nation's political freedom?
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:26 am

Yes. And unless there is a distinction being made in the issue between constitutional monarchy and absolute monarchy it probably doesn't matter which you like more.
Last edited by Aclion on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 am

Aclion wrote:Yes. And unless there is a distinction being made in the issue between constitutional monarchy and absolute monarchy it probably doesn't matter which you like more.

Well, in the issue, there is somewhat of a distinction.
For the absolute monarch option, it implies the monarch would be ruling the country, like a dictator. In the constitutional monarchy option, it says something along the lines of, "That way, competent politicians will still be running things, but we'll all have a source of national pride to rally behind." It somewhat implies that the monarch is basically useless and just symbolic.
So, considering that, would it deplete political freedoms, do you think? Obviously less than an absolute monarchy option, but would the constitutional monarchy option deplete political freedoms if the monarch is basically useless, as the option implies? Or, better yet, how much, would you think?
Don't underestimate us.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 am

Oppermenia wrote:
Aclion wrote:Yes. And unless there is a distinction being made in the issue between constitutional monarchy and absolute monarchy it probably doesn't matter which you like more.

Well, in the issue, there is somewhat of a distinction.
For the absolute monarch option, it implies the monarch would be ruling the country, like a dictator. In the constitutional monarchy option, it says something along the lines of, "That way, competent politicians will still be running things, but we'll all have a source of national pride to rally behind." It somewhat implies that the monarch is basically useless and just symbolic.
So, considering that, would it deplete political freedoms, do you think? Obviously less than an absolute monarchy option, but would the constitutional monarchy option deplete political freedoms if the monarch is basically useless, as the option implies? Or, better yet, how much, would you think?

I expect it would. It might not even lower political freedoms for a nation that isn't as democratic, but you're very democratic so I expect some reduction in political freedoms, but not as much as if you put in an absolute monarch.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am

Aclion wrote:
Oppermenia wrote:Well, in the issue, there is somewhat of a distinction.

I expect it would. It might not even lower political freedoms for a nation that isn't as democratic, but you're very democratic so I expect some reduction in political freedoms, but not as much as if you put in an absolute monarch.

You probably wouldn't be able to answer this question, but how much exactly, do you think?
My political freedoms are superb, with many democratic freedoms. People can vote for tons of things, with politician elections and many referendums of what those politicians do. So, if I installed a constitutional monarchy where the monarch is basically useless and symbolic, then how do you think it would deplete political freedom? Down from superb to excellent? down from superb to very good or good? What would you say?
Don't underestimate us.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Oppermenia wrote:
Aclion wrote:I expect it would. It might not even lower political freedoms for a nation that isn't as democratic, but you're very democratic so I expect some reduction in political freedoms, but not as much as if you put in an absolute monarch.

You probably wouldn't be able to answer this question, but how much exactly, do you think?

You're right, only an issue editor could answer that. And they wont... not if you ask them directly anyway.
Last edited by Aclion on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am

Hi all,

If I recall correctly, Minoa installed a monarchy by choosing option 2 in the old version of Issue #527 (the constitutional monarchy option), and if I recall correctly it did not negatively affect political freedom at the time.

Issue #527 has since been totally re-written, so it isn't possible to retrace the steps that Minoa took. At the moment, the only way to get a monarchy is options 2 or 3 in #461, both of which may reduce political freedom. In the long term, by answering more issues, it is possible to have a monarchy and very high political freedom.

-- Minoa
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

Minoa wrote:Hi all,

If I recall correctly, Minoa installed a monarchy by choosing option 2 in the old version of Issue #527 (the constitutional monarchy option), and if I recall correctly it did not negatively affect political freedom at the time.

Issue #527 has since been totally re-written, so it isn't possible to retrace the steps that Minoa took. At the moment, the only way to get a monarchy is options 2 or 3 in #461, both of which may reduce political freedom. In the long term, by answering more issues, it is possible to have a monarchy and very high political freedom.

-- Minoa

Hi, Minoa, thanks. That was a big help.
That sucks, though. I did get the rewritten version of the issue, and I was thinking, "Boy it sucks that you can't install that nationally." Because they changed it to be just one city that was at one point its own kingdom. Maybe if we rally, we could get issue editors to change this issue back, and give monarchies back to the people of Nationstates(ironically)! And, get them to make it so that you don't have to give up political freedom for a monarchy. Or, I guess I could just write my own issue that gives that option.
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

I have decided I am going to write an issue that gives the option of installing a constitutional monarchy, where you can install a monarchy policy without hurting political freedoms, and abolishing democracy.
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:27 pm

I just submitted an issue that brings up whether to install a monarchy. It gives either the option of just a royal family that doesn’t have power, and they’re just celebrities, or not.
Last edited by Oppermenia on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't underestimate us.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay