NATION

PASSWORD

Escade's Event Services Discord

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Escade's Event Services Discord

Postby Escade » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Announcing Escade's Event Services Discord

Many of us have wanted to see more activity in our region or group or our roleplay or other NS activity. We may even have tried various ways to boost that activity. The goal of this server is manifold:
1. To help us improve activity through best practices that have been refined over two years of event planning.
2. To connect like-minded people and help build activity across NS.
3. To host events for players, groups or regions!
4. To have more NS-wide events that aren't limited by political factions or other arbitrary things that separate cool people.

Since planning Valentine's Day events on forums when I first started in NS to planning festivals on Discord between major regions and their allies and friends for the past two years - I've learned a lot about hosting and running events. In fact, increasingly I've had a lot of requests from players wanting help running their events, asking me to host for them (for a plethora of reasons), or requesting advice on how to make an event be successful.

My partners and I have created an independent event server which allows you to:
1. Access and make copies of my open source planning documents (which I update and refine with each event)
2. Have a central place to ask event planners questions, pitch ideas, and get suggestions
3. Find people with like-minded interests to plan with
4. Recruit co-hosts\organizers
5. Potentially host events on this centralized server with team support
6. Utilize a job board to make requests for particular skill sets
7. Always know when an Escade party is happening ^.^

What can a well run and well organized event bring?

Events are opportunities to:
- Create activity and fun things for your region to engage in
- Meet and greet with players from another region to build foreign relations
- Celebrate special milestones such as treaties, weddings, or other events worth a party
- Coordinate conferences around topics of interest
- Build awareness about issues
- Develop connections between players and communities
- Recruit members to your region\group

So You Want Some Event Stats?

The Harry Potter and the Festival of Friendship Year One and Year Two had over 153 unique participants on Discord and forums and 77,000 posts!

The Lord of the Rings Festival had over 66 unique participants on Discord and 25180 posts over two weekends!

The Interregional Olympics had over 65 unique participants on Discord and 20,000 posts!

Not to mention the many events that I have hosted have led to treaties with our allies or been a celebration of treaties! Events build connections. While I think of social connections and friendship as more valuable than treaties and such, sometimes those things happen too :)

What are the struggles people face in creating great events?
- Lack of ideas\follow through
- Not enough active players to actually run things
- Low participation or low quality participation
- Overburdening one or two people who burn out
- People who sign up to do things and disappear
- People that want titles\credit more than doing actual work
- Getting momentum through advertising and building HYPE HYPE HYPE
Last edited by Escade on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Terra Voltera
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Terra Voltera » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

Your discord link is expired :/
Founder of The Hole To Hide In (THTHI Discord)
Former three time Delegate of 10000 Islands

I've been commended by the Security Council. Author of 17 Security Council Resolutions.

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 pm

[background=][/background]
Terra Voltera wrote:Your discord link is expired :/

Oopsy daisy, fixed now! Would also appreciate upvotes on the dispatch (as some nasty little Gollums downvoted, lamesauce).

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1055406
Last edited by Escade on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Escade wrote:[background=][/background]
Terra Voltera wrote:Your discord link is expired :/

Oopsy daisy, fixed now! Would also appreciate upvotes on the dispatch (as some nasty little Gollums downvoted, lamesauce).

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1055406

instinctively downvotes

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Hey no worries,

I had originally thought of making this its own thread where people can make requests, pitch ideas and such (then deciding maybe Discord was the best place for that). Although if you're not on Discord, please feel free to ask here!

Regarding the TSP drama - It's highly disappointing when extremely insecure and otherwise unpleasant people try to make an events services about them. My general preference is to avoid players who I think are insecure, manipulative, and engage in pathological victimhood. So they've already gotten far more attention than they are worth.

What I will do is point out how useful dispatches are in advertising things and how much HYPE you have to do to make things work well. If you aren't on Discord then check out the dispatches below and feel free to copy from (or even tell me how to make them better :).

Lord of the Rings Festival -
Olympics -
Harry Potter and the Festival of Friends Year One
Harry Potter and the Festival of Friendship Year Two

Key elements:
1. Description of the fandom or thing\theme tying things together
2. Schedule of events
3. Team spirit engaged through a positive sense of competition and
4. Images\Visuals\GIFs

Note that dispatch upvotes and actual participation don't even correlate (although upvotes generally feel good :P ). The HP Festival which was really born out of a shared love for a fandom and my adoration of XKI members had the highest participation and membership (on Discord and forums) of any such NS event.

In addition, you can track which invite gets people to your server and that's actually quite useful in seeing which advertising venues work and work well!

We have some projects being planned and in the works as well as my favorite part of this game - players from different regions and aspects of gameplay making new friends and having a good time socializing happening!

Finally, because I got this request. If you are planning a project with us (or asking for help) you can def. advertise or post in this thread. I also suggest some other venues but check out the Discord for that!

Hope everyone is having an absolutely lovely summer <3

Last edited by Escade on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Another event completed by Escade's Event Services!

Check out the Harry Potter and the Festival of Friendship Year 2 event highlights! This was my absolute favorite event to help organize and host so far!

With over 153 server members and over 77,000 posts between the first year and the second year - this was a really exhilarating and fun event! My favorite quote from this event was from a member who DMed me,
Thanks Esc ^-^ Same to you, it’s been amazing working with you and having fun in these festivals and other things. It’s been a great year and I’m looking forward to even more in the next one.

While many regions host beautiful and fun events (and the recent UCR Con hosted by Caer Sidi was a great example) - the events hosted by EES center around a fandom and cooperative and individual fun, competition and entertainment! So much of NS is often a mixture of stress, fun, and negativity - the goal with these events is to have fun with a spectrum of players across all walks of NationStates! That's pretty much it :)

Check out the Events Discord in the OP for planning docs if you'd like to host your own such event! For those who love planning, organizing, and hosting, EES takes on staff as well! Join the server and help us plan the next events! Already, we've had players suggest a Triwizard Championship event for the the third year (if the world holds true) event and its beginning to take shape!

xoxo,
Escade
Last edited by Escade on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Gameplay