NATION

PASSWORD

The Heartbeat of the GCRs - Five Years On

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pergamon
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pergamon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:38 pm

There is no conspiracy. I mean, I didn't make this up. I didn't put up a LWU flag on Lazarus and declared it a raiding UCR platform, you guys did. :p

Also, the NPO is native to GCRs.
So tell me, what is LWU exactly again? - Rhetorical question of course, we know what it is.
What does this say about you and your pack?
You are userite subversives. - Correct.
PACIFICA STAND STRONG

Senator Emeritus of The Pacific - Ret. Regent of the New Pacific Order

"The only war that matters is the war of the Feederite Class against the Userite. UCR Organizations and Cabals that befoul GCR with their presence, disguised as ruling elite within them, must be removed and their power must be broken. This is the ultimate imperative of the Revolutionaries true to the GCR and the Pacifics, which have nothing to lose but the chains from Userite oppression."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 pm

This thread is about comparing the state of several GCRs through a statistical lens, not about ancient raider/defender history. Lazarus has its own megathread - a megathread - which is where that discussion belongs. Please get back on topic. Thank you very much and have a wonderful whatever-time-of-day-it-is-for-you
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Heartbeat
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Heartbeat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 am

Killer Kitty wrote:
Cormactopia Prime wrote:First of all, what evidence do you have that the OP is an NPO member? That's news to me.

Well, if you read the article:

The Heartbeat wrote:Lazarus’s gain is a lot more concentrated than the others: anecdotal evidence, I know, but it seemed to be only a handful of people tarting there that gave most of those endorsements, while in the other GCRs it seemed more spread out. Almost a quarter of the total endorsements were given by Cormac, who was then kicked. Balder, the West Pacific, and Osiris all had gains, while the Pacific had the only loss, presumably because I didn’t catch a tarting spree this time.

If he's not NPO, then he's telling NPO to eject endocap violators, which is possible, but strange.

In February, when recording the endorsements from the Pacific, the data included tarting sprees from Pergamon and Aleisyr, therefore inflating it. This month I didn't have a tarting spree, so the endorsement numbers per month weren't as high as in February. Nothing to do with endocap violators, or telling any GCR to do anything.

Replying to this only, since it's decently close to the actual topic.

Why can't we discuss something interesting, like if GCRs can take singular or plural verbs?
Last edited by The Heartbeat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:52 am

The Heartbeat wrote:
Killer Kitty wrote:
Well, if you read the article:

If he's not NPO, then he's telling NPO to eject endocap violators, which is possible, but strange.

In February, when recording the endorsements from the Pacific, the data included tarting sprees from Pergamon and Aleisyr, therefore inflating it. This month I didn't have a tarting spree, so the endorsement numbers per month weren't as high as in February. Nothing to do with endocap violators, or telling any GCR to do anything.

Replying to this only, since it's decently close to the actual topic.

Why can't we discuss something interesting, like if GCRs can take singular or plural verbs?

I think that, also, could be threadjacking. I use them like collective nouns, so singular, unless it is saying something like
“Lazarus are rising against each other”

But then I’d just use “Lazarenes”.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 am

The royal we is definitely the way to go :lol2:
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 pm

The Heartbeat wrote:Special shout-out to Balder, where the WFE hasn’t been changed for over a year now except to change Discord invite links.

Is this considered a bad thing? :P

Also, thank you for all the work you put into this. Quoting this made me realize how much work you have to put into just the formatting...
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

This is fun and I especially like the explanation parts for the tables and data! Going to echo pretty graphs but to be honest the analysis helps a lot!

Also I'm kind of glad there aren't like colors because negative numbers and red seems intense. :P

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 am

I really enjoy seeing people cite to this in their debates elsewhere in the gameplay forum. Keep up the good work.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I really enjoy seeing people cite to this in their debates elsewhere in the gameplay forum. Keep up the good work.
Rach in Balder’s GP thread. :P
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
The Union of Democratic States
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

Tim Stark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tim Stark » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:14 am

The Noble Thatcherites wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I really enjoy seeing people cite to this in their debates elsewhere in the gameplay forum. Keep up the good work.
Rach in Balder’s GP thread. :P

I'd be curious to know how much of those posts in Balder are Spam Games. She's been talking up Balder's post count over TSP's, but we also don't have a particularly active Spam Game section.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Steward of The Frontier | Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Solorni
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

Tim Stark wrote:
The Noble Thatcherites wrote:Rach in Balder’s GP thread. :P

I'd be curious to know how much of those posts in Balder are Spam Games. She's been talking up Balder's post count over TSP's, but we also don't have a particularly active Spam Game section.

Firstly, it really was not a "talking up Balder's post count over TSP's" as much as countering Glen-Rhodes point that Balder was inactive. TSP's discord is over double as active as Balder's (although I wonder how much of that is spam?!?) and it's RMB is much more active than Balder's as well. The point by Glen-Rhodes and other people like DYP seemed like it was worth countering. If we're going to be completely honest, our regions are both not that active compared to a region like Europeia which despite being in an activity slump still averages more than 100 posts per day and I'd estimate is much more active on discord as well.

Secondly on your technical point, I would think that compared to our history less of our forum posts come from spam games. The majority of our activity comes from discussions on real life like "Who will win the next British Election?", "Population Bracketology", "Assad kills 42 with chlorine and nerve gas", "Uzbekistan is reforming" etc etc. Many if not all of our spam games have been struggling. In fact, Balder activity is still in the process of returning and is still not nearly as broad or strong as I'd like. Don't forget that Balder's activity average is ~55 posts per day. So 43 posts per day is still below our historic average.

So it really was not a point to put down TSP, as I respect that TSP has greater activity on discord & RMB but simply that Balder was active as well. Now I'm not sure if GR did not have a good idea about current world affairs or if he was just pretending to not know about things, but I felt it was a narrative that should be countered.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Tim Stark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tim Stark » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am

Solorni wrote:
Tim Stark wrote:I'd be curious to know how much of those posts in Balder are Spam Games. She's been talking up Balder's post count over TSP's, but we also don't have a particularly active Spam Game section.

Firstly, it really was not a "talking up Balder's post count over TSP's" as much as countering Glen-Rhodes point that Balder was inactive. TSP's discord is over double as active as Balder's (although I wonder how much of that is spam?!?) and it's RMB is much more active than Balder's as well. The point by Glen-Rhodes and other people like DYP seemed like it was worth countering. If we're going to be completely honest, our regions are both not that active compared to a region like Europeia which despite being in an activity slump still averages more than 100 posts per day and I'd estimate is much more active on discord as well.

Secondly on your technical point, I would think that compared to our history less of our forum posts come from spam games. The majority of our activity comes from discussions on real life like "Who will win the next British Election?", "Population Bracketology", "Assad kills 42 with chlorine and nerve gas", "Uzbekistan is reforming" etc etc. Many if not all of our spam games have been struggling. In fact, Balder activity is still in the process of returning and is still not nearly as broad or strong as I'd like. Don't forget that Balder's activity average is ~55 posts per day. So 43 posts per day is still below our historic average.

So it really was not a point to put down TSP, as I respect that TSP has greater activity on discord & RMB but simply that Balder was active as well. Now I'm not sure if GR did not have a good idea about current world affairs or if he was just pretending to not know about things, but I felt it was a narrative that should be countered.

Sweet, thanks for the clarification. It's cool that y'all have such a thriving General Discussion area!
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Steward of The Frontier | Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

The Heartbeat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Heartbeat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am

Have you ever wondered about the average daily post count per month in GCRs' Discord servers, and which GCRs might excel or fall below the average? Do you want to look at a vaguely pretty graph that took far too much time? Then today's your lucky day. (You may even have a lucky day tomorrow if I feel like making these for individual GCRs.)

Bear in mind that the dips at the end are mostly due to TEP and TRR bringing the average up so much - this isn't overall post count, and doesn't indicate overall post count falling, just post count falling in relation to the average.

The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am

I’d assume that the werewolf game was a factor in the post count, no?
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

Solorni
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 am

I don't understand how this graph is more useful than a graph showing each regions discord activity... This form doesn't seem useful to me at all.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

The Heartbeat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Heartbeat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

Solorni wrote:I don't understand how this graph is more useful than a graph showing each regions discord activity... This form doesn't seem useful to me at all.

The idea is to show the relative Discord activity of the GCRs over time, filtering out any trends that affect them all so that the differences between them are more evident. I suppose I can make one with the outside factors remaining too, I'll post later.

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 pm

The Heartbeat wrote:
Solorni wrote:I don't understand how this graph is more useful than a graph showing each regions discord activity... This form doesn't seem useful to me at all.

The idea is to show the relative Discord activity of the GCRs over time, filtering out any trends that affect them all so that the differences between them are more evident. I suppose I can make one with the outside factors remaining too, I'll post later.

This graph is great and helps a lot! Thank you!
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Darcania
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Darcania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm

The Heartbeat wrote:Have you ever wondered about the average daily post count per month in GCRs' Discord servers, and which GCRs might excel or fall below the average? Do you want to look at a vaguely pretty graph that took far too much time? Then today's your lucky day. (You may even have a lucky day tomorrow if I feel like making these for individual GCRs.)

Graph

Bear in mind that the dips at the end are mostly due to TEP and TRR bringing the average up so much - this isn't overall post count, and doesn't indicate overall post count falling, just post count falling in relation to the average.

Holy fluff, that spike in TNP's line over October / November 2016. Wow, that's such a huge spike that it actually caused the other lines to spike downwards due to how much that upped the mean for those months.

And as it turns out... I know why there were those spikes. There was Z-Day, but that's only 15k posts, and wouldn't show up in your statistics as strongly since we had a dedicated channel that's now archived (only admins can see posts there).

So... October would be the first time Yalkan and I met on TNP's server... and over October and November we would (quote-unquote, since it was really bad) roleplay, shitpost, and generally hang out with a couple other people that joined in.

Looking through what channels existed back then and are publicly viewable by Visitors now... the two of us had 36,819 posts combined in October, then 12,664 posts in November. We also had an explosion in popularity from bot games at the time, with 15,416 posts from the bot at the time in October and 19,942 posts in November.

Around the beginning November we ended up moving to direct messages with each other, then created our own server between us and a few friends in mid-November. Damn, what a trip down memory lane.

Malphe
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2016

Postby Malphe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Darcania wrote:
The Heartbeat wrote:Have you ever wondered about the average daily post count per month in GCRs' Discord servers, and which GCRs might excel or fall below the average? Do you want to look at a vaguely pretty graph that took far too much time? Then today's your lucky day. (You may even have a lucky day tomorrow if I feel like making these for individual GCRs.)

Graph

Holy fluff, that spike in TNP's line over October / November 2016. Wow, that's such a huge spike that it actually caused the other lines to spike downwards due to how much that upped the mean for those months.

And as it turns out... I know why there were those spikes. There was Z-Day, but that's only 15k posts, and wouldn't show up in your statistics as strongly since we had a dedicated channel that's now archived (only admins can see posts there).

So... October would be the first time Yalkan and I met on TNP's server... and over October and November we would (quote-unquote, since it was really bad) roleplay, shitpost, and generally hang out with a couple other people that joined in.

Looking through what channels existed back then and are publicly viewable by Visitors now... the two of us had 36,819 posts combined in October, then 12,664 posts in November. We also had an explosion in popularity from bot games at the time, with 15,416 posts from the bot at the time in October and 19,942 posts in November.

Around the beginning November we ended up moving to direct messages with each other, then created our own server between us and a few friends in mid-November. Damn, what a trip down memory lane.

The conclusion being that if you're having troubles with activity, get Yalk and Darc on your server. Side effects include but are not limited to more activity, more bots and more homoerotic sexual tension.
Malphe Vytherov

The Heartbeat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Heartbeat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

It's cool to be able to bring back stories from the past, and see the reasons behind the data! :D As requested, here's another graph without the averages, and with posts per month rather than average posts per day.

Darcania
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Darcania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The Heartbeat wrote:It's cool to be able to bring back stories from the past, and see the reasons behind the data! :D As requested, here's another graph without the averages, and with posts per month rather than average posts per day.

Graph

I find the fact that those months were the most active TNP's server has ever been, even absolutely speaking, absolutely hilarious.
Last edited by Darcania on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 am

Interesting graph! Was TSP one of the first regions to get a Discord?

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Can we get a version of the graph with Werewolf channels filtered out?

Escade wrote:Interesting graph! Was TSP one of the first regions to get a Discord?

Yup; Raven was mainly responsible for introducing Discord in NS, and TSP was something like the third or fourth region he persuaded to adopt it.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Well, he was responsible for introducing it to the GCRs anyway -- Worth noting quite a few UCRs had adopted it well before the GCRs moved over.

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Consular wrote:Well, he was responsible for introducing it to the GCRs anyway -- Worth noting quite a few UCRs had adopted it well before the GCRs moved over.

Pretty sure Kingdom of Alexandria was first among gameplay-related UCRs at least, even before the GCRs started switching. So Raven still introduced it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay