NATION

PASSWORD

Overlooked Crimes in NS

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
The Iron Rebel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Overlooked Crimes in NS

Postby The Iron Rebel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:15 pm

This might be a bit late; however in the time since Europeia banned Brunhilde from Europeia I've had a lot of thoughts on the matter. Yes the player known as Brunhilde had certainly earned the ban through bad behavior and lies. However the means the admins took was well beyond intel seeking, and straight into the book of stalking. Paying for personal records to be released, looking up medical records in multiple locations. Perhaps it made the community safer, but where is the line drawn? To me the only difference between a stalker and an intel person is a fake title on a forum now, when it comes to the means Europeia took.

However now to return to my main point of why I'm writing this, there are other crimes players can commit against each other beyond harassment or abuse of various natures. While I don't argue sexual harassment or sexual abuses are wrong, I do argue that sexual manipulation is equally ban worthy. If one player uses love or sexual themes to get another player to fall for them or do things for them, that first player should be banned for those actions. Regardless if some members of this community would like to just dismiss the player who was deceived as an idiot or desperate fool. In nearly every case of a ban where it is reported the player likely did what they were banned for over the course of multiple years, it is almost always noted that previous victims likely didn't come forward right away out of fear. No one is calling those people who were afraid idiots or desperate fools, so why is it a victim of manipulation is seen this way? In Nationstates as in Real Life, there are a lot of people who can be made into victims of any variety of crimes, emotional, physical, and so on. So again if someone in this game manipulates another into having feelings for them in order to get that person to do things for them, that first person is guilty of a ban worthy crime in my mind.

When Euroepeia banned Brunhilde they mentioned that the player known as Brunhilde had pretended to be a player of the female gender and had used this fact to manipulate other female players, and that was apart of why they had to be banned. This is nearly the same thing I believe other players who manipulate people with feelings of "love" or sexual attraction or flirtations based either on love or sex should be banned for. Just because at one point the victim of said manipulation might have believed they were in a real relationship does not mean they should be dismissed and the manipulator should get away with the poor behavior. Because if a manipulator of that nature isn't stopped they will very likely go on and repeat the actions again and again.

Finally if a victim has problems moving on, especially when no one takes action against the person that hurt them, it should not be right for other players to bait or push that victim into an emotional state where they might be convinced as "flaming" or some other form unacceptable actions. PTSD comes in many forms and with many levels of severity; people shouldn't be punished for unstable emotions especially if the person who inflicted the traumatic experience upon them hasn't been punished at all.

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 am

Stalking? There's a difference from legal actions done for security reasons to protect it's community and a crime in many places.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 13, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lenlyvit » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 am

I agree whole heartedly with the actions the Euro admin team took to make their members safe, and applaud them for uncovering what Brunhilde was. It isn't stalking to seek evidence to prove whether someone is guilty of a crime or lawyers everywhere would be getting disbarred and police would be getting fired. Why are you trying to dig up old wounds and start an argument you won't be able to finish?
World Assembly Secretary-General | Guide to the Security Council | Security Council Ruleset | SC Ideas Thread

Founder of The Hole To Hide In (THTHI Discord)
Chief of Staff and former four time Delegate of 10000 Islands

I've been commended by the Security Council. Author of 19 Security Council Resolutions.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 am

I can't tell what the point of this thread is, it reads like a blog post. If it is supposed to be a thread about intel operations in NS and the line between IC and OOC, make it so. If it's a thread about manipulation of feelings for in game benefit, make it so. This was a hot mess, and wasn't going anywhere good.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Return to Gameplay