NATION

PASSWORD

Goodbye NationStates

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 am

Take care of yourself.

We're inducting you into TEP's Hall of Heroes, I wish you could see it. :(

However, I wish you the best in your future affairs.

Goodbye, X.
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Chinevion
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 am

I may never have had the experience meeting you in game or rping with you, but what happened is unacceptable. I hope you have good luck in all future endeavors, and I am sad to see a NSGr go. Good luck, and Fairwell.

Segral
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Segral » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 am

Good luck Xor. I hope you eventually find happiness and hey, who knows, one day, you may come back to NS.
yea bro idk

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 am

I was going to just walk away after that, but I then discovered that some people were worried that I was possibly going to harm myself or find an inclination to suicide. I have no intentions of harming myself and I have no inclinations to suicide.

From this ordeal I walked away a stronger person. If I lost two years of my life to this, I resolved that I would take my life back and never let this happen to me again. So far I have succeeded in this, because I am happier, healthier, and am doing well in both school and work. I have made friends IRL and spend time with them. My life is immeasurably better because I prioritized my own health.

As NES and Topid said, the reason I shared this story is not because I want attention or pity, although I cannot tell you how much the well-wishing does mean to me coming from a community I loved immensely when I was playing. Some people here already knew about this story, some in more detail than others. Raven and Asta were two of those who helped me through this, and there were few who tried as hard as they did to protect me. Without Severisen, as I said, I might not be here right now making these posts. He saved my life, that I believe. NES and Guy have been people I talked to intimately on this matter so much because they were willing to help me in my ultimate NS goal.

In 2014, around the time I was truly active and this was going on, harassment and abuse were handled when they came up, but it was not a topic that was actively discussed. New victims were referred to people with experience quietly, and that was that. If it was dealt with on a regional level, the international community did not speak of it like the problem it was. Perhaps this is because victims at the time were either accused of politicizing issues or because it was simply not realized to be the problem it is. The ex-player I mentioned in my story was not the only one who gave me trouble, only the worst and the one who left me with real problems. I have also taken stands regarding them on my journey in NS. In 2015, I decided to take a stand and make this an issue, to make sure that, despite my feelings of not wanting to be seen as a victim by the community, that my experiences would be used to help NationStates, both past and future generations.

I want this to be an insight for all of you as to what can happen when one player takes advantage of another. What I want you to take from this is that the danger is not just in how it affects the experiences of a player of the game, but that it can affect them in real life.

Abuse and harassment are as a real online as they are in person.

For the rest of my time here, I fielded many cases of harassment and abuse, of every variety. People came to me for advice and help, and I put my heart into it. The effort was taxing and emotional (and emotionally taxing), but to see players freed from the same trap I was in was rewarding and I was never happier than when I could successfully protect someone. I was discouraged when I saw that cause used politically or for character assassination, but I was determined to protect the victims of the present and future, and to be a voice for those in the past who have never spoken up.

I used my farewell to pass a message to those victims, and I used it to pass a message to everyone else that first and foremost, the well-being of the community comes before politics and the game.

There is a fully justified fear that this cause is used for politics and personal spite, and I know for a fact that this is true. I have been mislead into believing someone I trusted to the point that I did not look at evidence the way I should have. I have apologized to the player who was negatively affected by my lapse in judgment. If I fought for victims, I fought against those who thought to use what I strove to create to wreak havoc and stir dissent.

Those who do that disgust me. There are real people suffering from this, and for every person who uses this cause to falsely discredit another, they make it all the less likely that true victims are going to be treated with the care and sincerity they deserve. To those who do that, shame on you. I know that this game is emotionally investing, which is one reason I quit, but that is not a reason to make small of someone else's trauma.

To those who wonder how it is possible to be this affected over the internet, believe me, at one point I would have seen it your way. I did not believe it was possible. Even IRL I never believed it could happen to me. I was naive, and that naivety led to me placing trust in the wrong person. I have even had my judgment on latter friendships questioned because of my early choices of people to trust. I don't want to say that you can't trust anyone, but I do want everyone to know that trust can be misplaced. Trust can be betrayed, trust can be used against you. Even so, don't let that knowledge ruin the real friendships you have made here. Don't be naive and blind about trust, but do not be afraid to trust those who deserve it.

I am aware that the ex-player I have mentioned is very likely to read this thread and this post at some point, because the last time I posted here about the topic of abuse and harassment in a general essay form he appeared and asked around about me to see if I was sharing this story and making him look bad, but I care more about those I vowed to fight for than I do for that. My personal comfort comes second when I know that even though I have left, there are people left here who are potentially subject to what I went through.

I am going to overcome this, and to everyone who is or will go through it, or even to those going through problems unrelated to this issue, so will you. To give up is to lose, and I have chosen not to give up.

Thank you again, everyone. I loved and still love so many of you, and I hope that I have managed to achieve even some small thing with the decision to share this in detail publicly.
Last edited by Xoriet on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

Greyghost
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greyghost » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 am

Xormom,

Ever since I met you you had unfortunately been going through this and for the longest time I hadn't the slightest clue. When you did share some of what was going on, as much as I was in shock and wanted nothing more than to help you in any way I could, seeing how you decided to deal with it as it came and not give up showed me how strong you truly were. Little did I know how much this would later be of aid to me. Watching you even now doing everything you can to heal and move forward has helped me- and many more- in ways you can't even imagine. I understand making these posts took a lot and could leave you at risk. I think In light of this, I can safely say all those who have read this whom you have helped at some point are immensely grateful for you doing this. I hope we are able to help others as you have helped us. I'm glad you're doing well and are in a much better part in your life; It was an honor to play alongside you the time that I did and I wish nothing but the best for you as you leave this community. Love you, Xor <3

~Grey
Last edited by Greyghost on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you for sharing. Both for me, and for NationStates.

There isn't much I can add to what has already been said, but there are a couple of things I still want to say. I wish you the very best, and believe you have the capacity and the will to build an incredible future for yourself.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Scardino
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Scardino » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am

Miss you.

First he added me on Facebook without asking or even my knowledge, and that alarmed me a little, but I thought it was harmless enough.

Oops. I did pretty much the same thing. Sorry if that was out of line.
Last edited by Scardino on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scardino
Alpha Emeritus - LWU

Cormactopia II - God damn it Scardino
Drachen - god damnit scar
Syberis - Dammit Scar
Mall - fok u scar
Anerastreia - Scar so racist
Liliarchy - you evil evil man
Xoriet - You're adorable, Scar
Altino - Scar, I think I love you
Lamb Stone - Scardino knows I <3 him.
Severisen - Scar is the Rod Stewart of raiding
Roavin - Scardino has a sexy voice.
Biyah - so, I dearly love Scardino, he rocks my nuts
Lost - you're hulk mixed with tony stark
Cain - Scar restrains himself quite significantly on NS and is still known far and wide for his antics.
Biyah - God help us from Fedele bringing back the old ways. The current level of inept is just fine, thanks

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am

Xoriet I wish the best for you out in the real world, I am so thankful that a few coincidences many years ago resulted in you becoming friends with Sev.

More broadly this is a reminder that this problem, while certainly not confined to NS, does happen here. To the extent that it happens onsite, or you suspect it is occurring onsite, immediately file a GHR detailing the concern. If it is happening offsite then please contact the relevant offsite administrators/moderators, and also contact us. While we cannot act solely based on offsite information we may discover onsite evidence of wrongdoing using such offsite material as a starting point.

Keep in mind for those of you who do nothing to help because an individual is not obviously seeking help themselves that such a person may be paralyzed by fear or another emotion. Simply because someone does not report a problem to us or another offsite authority does not mean that they are ok with what is happening. Help each other, and protect each other. Just as this problem does not confine itself solely to NS, this message about how to deal with the problem can extend more broadly as well.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Xoriet, I don't believe we ever had the chance to meet, which is quite a shame, since I looked up to you for quite some time.

Although it is unlikely you'll ever read this, I'd like to say I'm with everybody else with here, and you're not alone in all this.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Vaculatestar64
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2012

Postby Vaculatestar64 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Wow, I am sorry that all of this happened to you, I was completely unaware, if I'm perfectly honest. You were a good friend to me for quite a few years. I wish you the best Xor, if you're ever around visiting hmu. :) <3

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I do not know you but from what I have heard, however, Goodbye!
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

I never know you in NS. However, I'm sorry for the abuses you have to endure. I hope you can rebuild your life.

Anyway, good bye

Also, a side note. Is said player DEAT'ed or DOS'ed already by the mods?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 pm

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Also, a side note. Is said player DEAT'ed or DOS'ed already by the mods?

Fun fact: He is not! He gets to keep playing the game. Isn't that just wonderful for him?

Meanwhile, our wonderful, kind, beloved Xoriet bears not only the mental scars from what he put her through, but also his consequences as well. She has to leave NS, and stay gone, because if she does not he will continue to find her.

I'll give you three guesses as to why.

Want a hint?

Mallorea and Riva wrote:we cannot act solely based on offsite information
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Segral
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2017

Postby Segral » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Astarial wrote:
The Federation of Kendor wrote:Also, a side note. Is said player DEAT'ed or DOS'ed already by the mods?

Fun fact: He is not! He gets to keep playing the game. Isn't that just wonderful for him?

Meanwhile, our wonderful, kind, beloved Xoriet bears not only the mental scars from what he put her through, but also his consequences as well. She has to leave NS, and stay gone, because if she does not he will continue to find her.

Want a hint?

This system isn't flawed at all...
yea bro idk

Miporin
Attaché

Founded: Jan 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Miporin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Segral wrote:
Astarial wrote:

Want a hint?

This system isn't flawed at all...

Thus why the situation is as it is now.
Nope, nothing wrong here. :roll:
Ex-Delegate, Yggdrasil
Ex-Delegate, Valhalla
Sergeant, The Black Hawks
Warden-Constable, The Order of the Grey Wardens :)

I make raidy tools too! TG me for more info.

Roland Prime
Secretary

Founded: Oct 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Roland Prime » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Xoriet,

In my long time on NationStates, I've never had the oppurtunity to meet you, and I'm now very regretful about that. I've heard many positive things about you, and I'm sure, you're a very great person. I'm not trying to sound like everyone else, but I think a lot of great condolences have already been brought up. What you had to face every time you logged in and even when you weren't are absolutely horrible. I am absolutely and genuinely appealed by the behavior of the indiviuals mentioned. The fact that the person is still allowed to play this game is frustrating. NationStates has created an incredible community of dedicated, helpful, and genuinely nice people. The community we have forged through kindness and welcoming always seems to be messed up by awful people. It's deeply troubling that these assholes can mess up your time on this great game. Despite these horrible actions, our resolve as a community of this game isn't broken.

Several people who have been harassed on this game have came forward recently, and I think this is great. Moderators continue to suggest filing a GHR, but I understand that doing so doesn't always help and that the moderation team can't always help you with off-site issues. We as community on NationStates and its many off-site platforms need to always be on the lookout for people trying to take advantage of players on the game. Our resolve musn't be broken, and we must always be on the watch, and we must always stand up to these site abusers. We, as a community on this game, MUST be strong.
Signed,
Roland Prime

King of Machina | Legislator and FA Ambassador of The South Pacific
To whom it may concern: This is the same person that formerly played as rolandarmstrong.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Astarial wrote:

Want a hint?

That's not fucked up at all. That totally doesn't lead to blaming the victim or shaming them or otherwise silencing them.

That totally doesn't have any connections to things like the Stanford rapist and his health and well being seeming more important to the judge than the health and well being and justice of his victim.

As long as you can get the victim to be the one who has to hide and feel shame and leave, well I guess you don't have to care right.
Last edited by Escade on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serpenteum
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Serpenteum » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

"i have chosen not to give up" so will you leave NS or... not? i'm confused
Last edited by Serpenteum on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morx Ortok
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Morx Ortok » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't want to be an ass, but why did you choose the literal worst way to deal with some asshole online?
Fantasy tech, if you couldn't tell. Morx Ortok is supposed to be "advanced" in a very crude, medieval sort of way, and this does take place before "modern" times.
And yes, my flag is supposed to look like it was drawn by someone who didn't have a whole lot of time on their hands.
Read my factbooks before you say anything.
Thematic Playlist

Argentinstan
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentinstan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Goodbye :(
A United Nations of Earthlings member state. Former Prime Minister.
Embassy Program l Bank of the Atlantic l Air Argentine l Argentinstan City Int'l Airport l Guide to Storefronts l Issues l City/County/State/Territory Websites
Telegram Me

Argentinstan is a constitutional monarchy representative democracy led by King Menem III and President Elijah Turner.

Guilaza
Attaché

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Guilaza » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm

O few, for a sec I thought the site was ending

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Morx Ortok wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but why did you choose the literal worst way to deal with some asshole online?

"I don't want to be an ass but I'm gonna be an ass"

You clearly don't have an understanding of the situation, and can take your commentary elsewhere.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm

And here come the trolls >_>
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
The Union of Democratic States
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

The Union of Democratic States

Morx Ortok
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Morx Ortok » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:
Morx Ortok wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but why did you choose the literal worst way to deal with some asshole online?

"I don't want to be an ass but I'm gonna be an ass"

You clearly don't have an understanding of the situation, and can take your commentary elsewhere.

*sigh*
I guess the heightened levels of emotion in the common folk really does take a toll. All she needed to do was block him, but alas, she suffered for years in a torture pit of her own making.
Fantasy tech, if you couldn't tell. Morx Ortok is supposed to be "advanced" in a very crude, medieval sort of way, and this does take place before "modern" times.
And yes, my flag is supposed to look like it was drawn by someone who didn't have a whole lot of time on their hands.
Read my factbooks before you say anything.
Thematic Playlist

Atkemri
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2017

Postby Atkemri » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 pm

I have never met you but I am so sorry for what you had to go though. No one should have to deal with that. I wish you the best in your life.
ATKEMRIAN NATIONAL NEWS: Atkemrian police arrest ringleaders of massive human trafficking ring. 22 aressted with more predicted in the next few months.\150 people freed from the ring

ASP Foundation
No NS stats are used
A 16 civilization, according to this index.
Join my new NS super server!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay