NATION

PASSWORD

The One Stop Shop for Your Lazarus Scandal Needs!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Razzle Dazzle wrote:
Jar Wattinree wrote:The Pacific region has been themed around the New Pacific Order for over fourteen years. I'd say that qualifies, unless you meant an IRL group claiming a GCR?

I was thinking more a group entering a region to take it over, all the while claiming they had an inherent right to do so.

Sums up a lot of coups.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Razzle Dazzle wrote:
Jar Wattinree wrote:The Pacific region has been themed around the New Pacific Order for over fourteen years. I'd say that qualifies, unless you meant an IRL group claiming a GCR?

I was thinking more a group entering a region to take it over, all the while claiming they had an inherent right to do so.

Some might argue the NPO did just that, 14 years ago. :P

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 am

Lazarene Pilgrimage wrote:
Ikania wrote:Eh. Laïcité c'est magnifique. I think it wouldn't be bad to have a Lazarus themed a little around the Bible, with corresponding names (Bethany, Nazareth, Galilee, etc) as well as positions (Bishops, Patriarchs, a Pope maybe). But I think it would be best to distance it from any actual theological disputes or 'real' Christianity, because naturally that might turn off non-Christians. Or Protestants.

We would be a catch-all region, a refuge of sort for Christians of all stripes. We would, however, embrace religious tolerance and democratic governance of a hybrid between a secular and religious state.

Now explain why a specific ideology deserves a GCR, besides "I totally like the name."

If that's the metric we go by to determine mandate to rule, then NS has fallen quite far indeed.
Last edited by Syberis on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 am

Syberis wrote:If that's the metric we go by to determine mandate to rule, then NS has fallen quite far indeed.

If a bunch of Christians decide to move to Lazarus, become natives, and manage to set up a Christian government because they have the most endorsements, they have every right to do so -- especially since Lazarus presently has no government and the sitting delegate has basically endorsed the idea of various groups competing for the delegacy.
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Elegarth
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Elegarth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:03 am

Auralia wrote:
Syberis wrote:If that's the metric we go by to determine mandate to rule, then NS has fallen quite far indeed.

If a bunch of Christians decide to move to Lazarus, become natives, and manage to set up a Christian government because they have the most endorsements, they have every right to do so -- especially since Lazarus presently has no government and the sitting delegate has basically endorsed the idea of various groups competing for the delegacy.

"Become natives"...

ones wonders what is the scientific approach to "become a native"... A given lenght of residency? A given level of activity? What?
Elegarth, The Seeker of Power
Royal Duke of The West Pacific
Patio Emperor of The West Pacific
Former Dragon Delegate of The West Pacific

The Delegarth

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am

Auralia wrote:

I'm interested in the "become natives" part of that. How long would you expect it to take before a group of people who enter a region with the intent of imposing their rule are considered to be legitimate natives with a right to do that? Essentially, how long does an invader have to be in a region before they're considered a native?

EDIT: And I got Ninja'd. Great minds think alike, I guess... :P
Last edited by Pencil Sharpeners 2 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 am

Auralia wrote:become natives

"Become natives". That is such a contradiction in terms in the context of the current debate.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 am

It's a good question. I think any nation that comes to a region with the intention of permanently living there and building a regional community is a "native", for what it's worth.

The regional polling mechanic uses a definition of "native" that is a function of the nation's influence relative to other regions, but I'm not sure that makes much sense. If two nations want to participate in a regional community, does one have greater rights than the other simply because the other lived in a previous region for a longer period of time?
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arlo
Secretary

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 am

Auralia wrote:

Fortunately for us wishful thinking isn't worth much so that is very unlikely to happen. :)

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:04 am

Auralia wrote:

If a bunch of outsiders decide to move with the express goal of taking over down the road... You wouldn't be natives. That's not how it works.

Yeah, I suppose they could take Lazarus. But why would anyone support them? Why would anyone recognize them?
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 am

Syberis wrote:If a bunch of outsiders decide to move with the express goal of taking over down the road... You wouldn't be natives. That's not how it works.

I wasn't aware that any particular theory of political ethics or definition of "native" had achieved consensus in NationStates gameplay.

Syberis wrote:Yeah, I suppose they could take Lazarus. But why would anyone support them? Why would anyone recognize them?

I imagine some people would support them because they like the idea of a Christian government in Lazarus? Or, assuming the government is democratic, because it has the support of a majority of Lazarenes? In other words, the same reasons anyone supports any government?

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am

Auralia wrote:
Syberis wrote:If a bunch of outsiders decide to move with the express goal of taking over down the road... You wouldn't be natives. That's not how it works.

I wasn't aware that any particular theory of political ethics or definition of "native" had achieved consensus in NationStates gameplay.

I'm pretty sure there's a reasonable consensus of what it isn't, and that's any group of people who intend to install their own government before they even enter the region.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:
Auralia wrote:I wasn't aware that any particular theory of political ethics or definition of "native" had achieved consensus in NationStates gameplay.

I'm pretty sure there's a reasonable consensus of what it isn't, and that's any group of people who intend to install their own government before they even enter the region.

I don't understand this. Why should nations have to be blank slates before immigrating to a region? Why can't they have their own vision of an ideal regional community and desire to put it into practice? Why does that disqualify them from being a native?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 am

Auralia wrote:
Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a reasonable consensus of what it isn't, and that's any group of people who intend to install their own government before they even enter the region.

I don't understand this. Why should nations have to be blank slates before immigrating to a region? Why can't they have their own vision of an ideal regional community and desire to put it into practice? Why does that disqualify them from being a native?

No, the fact that they are not a native disqualifies them from being a native.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Auralia wrote:I don't understand this. Why should nations have to be blank slates before immigrating to a region? Why can't they have their own vision of an ideal regional community and desire to put it into practice? Why does that disqualify them from being a native?

No, the fact that they are not a native disqualifies them from being a native.

That's circular logic. I've already said that I define a native as any nation that comes to a region with the intention of permanently living there and building a regional community.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 am

Auralia wrote:
Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a reasonable consensus of what it isn't, and that's any group of people who intend to install their own government before they even enter the region.

Going into a region to contribute is fine, but there's a difference between contributing and coming in with a preconceived plan to change the theme and government of a region. That's an invasion.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

Auralia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No, the fact that they are not a native disqualifies them from being a native.

That's circular logic.

Not really, just like the fact that "I am not a bird" disqualifies me from being a bird...

Auralia wrote:I've already said that I define a native as any nation that comes to a region with the intention of permanently living there and building a regional community.

Well, that definition is certainly different...

Wave on, wave on

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am

This just in: a brood of angry Christian moms try to raid Lazarus to turn the region into a Christian Minecraft server

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:24 am

Cute Puppies wrote:This just in: a brood of angry Christian moms try to raid Lazarus to turn the region into a Christian Minecraft server

Lies! :p

Wave on, wave on

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am

The New California Republic wrote:Not really, just like the fact that "I am not a bird" disqualifies me from being a bird...

In the absence of a non-self-referential definition of "bird", yes, that is also circular logic.

Auralia wrote:I've already said that I define a native as any nation that comes to a region with the intention of permanently living there and building a regional community.

Well, that definition is certainly different...

What's your definition?
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Going into a region to contribute is fine, but there's a difference between contributing and coming in with a preconceived plan to change the theme and government of a region. That's an invasion.

Lazarus presently has no theme or government.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 am

Auralia wrote:What's your definition?

A nation that has been in the region for an extended period of time. In contrast to your definition, where a nation can join a region 10 minutes ago and still be a "native" for some bizarre reason...

Also, I am not debating the circular logic thing, my original point was facetious, and it doesn't warrant this little farce of debating what is and isn't circular.

Wave on, wave on

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 am

Auralia wrote:What's your definition?

A nation that has been in the region for an extended period of time. In contrast to your definition, where a nation can join a region 10 minutes ago and still be a "native" for some bizarre reason...

Insofar as the term "native" is really used to mean a nation with the right to participate in the governance of a regional community, I don't see why this status should be a function of the length of time spent in a region.

The ability to contribute to a regional community has to do with one's talents, vision, and commitment to the region, not one's length of residency. As such, I think the former provides a better foundation for the concept of "native" than the latter.

TempestShadow
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby TempestShadow » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 am

Auralia wrote:
Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Going into a region to contribute is fine, but there's a difference between contributing and coming in with a preconceived plan to change the theme and government of a region. That's an invasion.

Lazarus presently has no theme or government.

Anarchy is both a theme and a government (or lack thereof) :p

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am

Total anarchy > glorified Christian Minecraft server

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay