NATION

PASSWORD

Announcing the 2017 Defender Awards!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Deadeye Jack
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadeye Jack » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:00 pm

There are a lot of deserving people and organizations being nominated for these awards and it's gonna make for some difficult votes. This is a good problem to have though! We've come a long way just in the last year. Good luck to all the nominees.

Roland armstrong
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roland armstrong » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Masterz shall win something, I hope.
Roland Armstrong
Blood Shrike of Masterz
Legislator in the South pacific
Other regions:
Hoplite Private in the Dominion of Tartarus and Corporal in H Y D R A
Chaos Marine in [region]Firehelm
[/region]

Witchcraft and Sorcery
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

The results are in!

Postby Witchcraft and Sorcery » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Hello everyone, and welcome at last to the awards ceremony for the 2017 Defender Awards! Before we begin though, I’d like to give a shoutout to a few people without whom these awards could not have happened at all. Firstly, I need to thank all the people who contributed artwork to these awards, and helped me finish and edit the design of the awards themselves. That includes Shizensky and Charles Watson-Turing for designing the banners, and Nakari who used her vastly superior image editing skills to help me get the awards together. Really the entire Warden leadership team helped in some way or another with the awards and they all deserve a huge thanks.

Additionally, I have to thank everyone who gave their input on the awards themselves this year, especially Guy, Benevolent Thomas, and Sauron. These three FRAers provided me with input and history that I had no idea about, and their ideas went a very long way in getting this thing rolling. Thank all of you so much.

We only had 44 votes cast this year, which is a lot less than in some years past, but it’s likely due to the voting timeframe being reduced from two weeks down to one, and the lack of a defender awards being hosted last year, but all things considered I am very happy with the turnout. I hope the awards can be as much of a success next year as they were this time around, and here’s to another great year of defending!

And now, at last, the awards.

Throughout the process of voting there was little doubt as to the favorite for this award. Given to the player who has contributed to the most to the defender cause in the last year, this is a guy who exploded onto the scene last year and is widely respected for his leadership, tech skills, speed, mentoring ability, and just about everything else related to defending. A huge congratulations are in order for ROAVIN!

Next is the WASC Award. A returning award from Defender Awards of years past, this award is designed to recognize someone who over the past year has . I doubt there’s anyone who knows the Security Council better than this guy. His skill at writing and passing resolutions is very well-documented, and there is no one particular resolution or SC-related action I could point to in justifying his receipt of this award. That’s right, it’s TIM! Congratulations!

There was quite the battle in voting for this award before a very clear winner emerged. Given to the player who has helped the intelligence cause the most in the past year, our winner went undercover in a place few defenders would willingly go and spent three months rising through the ranks of the Invaders before taking off the mask and revealing that she was a Warden all along. She has since become an incredibly valuable member of the Wardens’ leadership, and it is my great privilege to present this award to NAKARI!

This award is presented to an outstanding invasion-spotter, someone who tirelessly watches activity feeds, dossiers, reports pages, you name it. This guy has an absolutely MASSIVE dossier of raider puppets that he tracks everywhere, and across blocks of time that I can’t even fathom. Many of the off-update defenses and liberations that defenders pull off nowadays can be credited to his unrivaled ability to spot and track raids in progress. He’s also just a blast to have around during updates. I am incredibly proud to present this award to my long-time colleague and mentor, KANTA HÄME!

And now for some spicy awards. There was many a meltdown to be had this year. Presented to the player or group which imploded (or exploded) in the most spectacular fashion over the past year, three leading candidates emerged and several lead changes ensued, but the sudden and dramatic springtime collapse of the region named after one side of the gameplay spectrum emerged as the winner in the end. “Congratulations” to THE INVADERS!

“Presented” to the raider group deemed by defenders as the worst overall, whether that be annoyance factor or just generally being awful at raiding, this was a very close battle. In yet another race decided by a one-vote margin, US Military was narrowly edged out by an org that you might recall from the previous award. Yes, this one also goes to THE INVADERS!

Given to the raider group deemed by the community to be the best, the nominees for this award are always interesting. This year they ranged from “real” raider orgs like Lily and the Black Hawks, to independent orgs like the JTF, to Hakketomat, whose persistent desire to hug everyone in sight landed him among the nominees. Those four all remained in contention for most of the voting period, but a clear winner emerged at the end. Many congratulations to the Wardens’ favorite child, LILY!

This award recognizes the best operation of the past year. When defenders stop one big raid in an update, it’s considered a huge success. But give yourself two, and you’ve got a candidate for best operation of the year and, as it turns out, a winner. One was apparently leaked, the other was just one giant fail due to extreme security measures and a wider trigger, and defenders won both. This award is presented to THE DUAL EUROPEAN UNION-EQUESTRIA DEFENSE! Congratulations to all involved.

This award is presented to a player who is a steadfast and reliable presence at updates, and who can be counted on to . Yet another newcomer who burst onto the scene and has made waves with his skill across multiple facets of defending, there was no doubt as to the winner for this one. He’s the fastest of the fast, the jumpy-switchiest of the jumpy-switchy, he’s everything one could ask for in an updater. Congratulations to VINCENT DRAKE!

This field was stacked. There are so many defender veterans deserving of this award, and many people, myself included, noted this in coming to decisions on who to vote for. An incredibly tight race ensued between two players who made their stamp on defending history in the FRA and Rejected Realms. Wopruthien/Sauron and Frattastan both held leads at different points in the competition, and the final margin was just two votes. A huge thank you and congratulations go out to FRATTASTAN!

A new award, this one recognizes an outstanding liberation leader from the past year. Once again we had a race with multiple lead changes and a one-vote margin of victory. There was very strong support for all four candidates, but what at the start was a definite three-man race narrowed to two as Vietnam and I battled back and forth, trading leads almost every day. I came up short on the last day, and it’s my pleasure to present this award to the guy who leads a ton of liberations and is almost robotic in his triggering accuracy, UNITED STATES OF VIETNAM!

This award is given to the organization that was most successful at preventing invasions in the past year. All four nominees had good showings, and TITO definitely made a run for it as they always do, in the end it was a decisive home-team victory. Congratulations to THE ORDER OF THE GREY WARDENS!

Yet another contest decided by one vote, this “award” goes to the biggest defender fail of the past year. Dozens of defenders were crossed up and ready to liberate, the triggers were checked, double-checked, triple-checked, and then, among several other unfortunate occurrences, a last-minute mix-up of what trigger did what caused mass confusion as defenders slowly trickled in two minutes early. Every single defender was banned from the region and the raiders kept piling to a point where there was no hope of another attempt. Femdom Empire kept the race very close from the get-go, but this “award” goes to SOUTH PACIFIC!

A returning award from years past to recognize that organization which has done the most to keep free regions free, we only had one nominee in this category, and it’s no surprise that the vote was a runaway in its favor. Definitely most deserving of this award, it’s a big congratulations to SOLIDARITY!

It was noted many times how much crossover there was between this award and others, and given the impact that so many of our newcomers have made, it’s no surprise that this individual has already won another award. This is yet another race that came down to a single vote. All candidates had very strong showings, but one emerged victorious. He’s been around NS for a long time, but ever since he got involved in R/D last fall he’s been forcing raiders to tighten their triggers and still somehow making it in on time. It is my pleasure to the present this award to VINCENT DRAKE!

There were a ton of deserving candidates for this one, and the voting reflected that. There was a three-way tie for this award. Given to the player/s who demonstrated skill, patience, and willingness to teach new defenders the ropes, all three winners are incredibly deserving. But what’s even more amazing to me is that two of them were also candidates for the Best Newcomer award. In their first year of defending, two of these winners . For the other, it should be no surprise that he’s on here. He was my mentor back when I first started defending, and I’m proud to recognize him for all the work he has done here. A huge thank you and congratulations to our three winners, ROAVIN, UNITED STATES OF VIETNAM, AND BENEVOLENT THOMAS!

Named for the now-ascended mastermind behind some of the most widely used defender tools today, the Eluvatar Award, new this year, recognizes that player that has done the most to advance the technology available to defenders. The award’s namesake staged a late comeback but fell one vote short, and I’m pleased to present this award to the lightning-fast man behind NSBreeze++ who now recieves his third award this year, VINCENT DRAKE!

We all know NS players don’t get enough sleep. Especially those that are consistently updating, spotting, setting triggers, planning ops, working intelligence, all those things we do to stay ahead of raiders. Maybe that’s why this quote became so popular. This fabulous video also might have something to do with it (and a region to go with it!) so check that out, and also give your hearty congratulations to NAKARI!

Play this on repeat as your eyelids get heavy and the lull of sleep slowly overcomes you

Or just go the fuck to sleep. I’m sure she’d be okay with that too. :P

And that wraps things up! I really missed the awards last year and it’s been absolutely amazing to have the opportunity to bring them back and host them this year. Here’s to another great year of defending.

Thank you all for coming, and I hope to see you all at the 2018 Defender Awards!

Now please. Go to sleep.

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice. Commended by SC #429.
Represented in the WA by the mysterious hooded figures lurking in the dog park, speaking through voice changers.

[8:17 PM] Dakota: You're a lame moralist
[8:17 PM] Dakota: But it's okay because the rest of your personality makes up for it

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 pm

It has been a genuine pleasure to work with pretty much every single one of you. We're surrounded by more talent than we realize. Seeing it all listed out like that, this is one of those times that just being nominated and even recognized as being on the same team with these folks is an honor. This has been solid year for defenders, and the talent we've got coming through the ranks is showing promise that will only push the boundaries we're creating.

"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Witchcraft and Sorcery wrote:This year they ranged from “real” raider orgs like Lily and the Black Hawks, to independent orgs like the JTF, to Hakketomat,

*cough* Just a fact check here on Lily
Lily Publications Office wrote:Lily is an independent military organization

They are very clear that they are independents. I think one of their members even said that they are the only true independent since others leaned one way or the other (could be wrong on that, so citation needed)

edit: fixing a typo
Last edited by Raionitu on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chingis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Damn Rai beat me to it.

And I don't remember anyone from Lily saying we're the one true independent. I would say that claim goes to JTF more than us.

Despite our superior successes at tagging, we're not a "raider" org per se :P
Last edited by Chingis on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Brotherhood of Guns
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Brotherhood of Guns » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Lets be honest mate, LILY, if far away to be a Military Organization... Yes, you detag... from who? TBH? TI? and other Orgs? Wow! Detaging. And works in hand with Fendas...
Lily Publications Office wrote: whose members are dedicating themselves to protect the weak from the oppressors.

uhu...

Shizensky
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 pm

So we're here to celebrate accomplishments and achievements.

And, purely judging by the numbers, LIly has achieved quite a bit.

Let's try to have fun, even if it's just this once.

Thanks for your contribution though.

Brotherhood of Guns
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Brotherhood of Guns » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Shizensky wrote: LIly has achieved quite a bit..

Could you mention real achivements please :) ?

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016

Postby Chingis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Brotherhood of Guns wrote:

Lets be honest mate, LILY, if far away to be a Military Organization... Yes, you detag... from who? TBH? TI? and other Orgs? Wow! Detaging. And works in hand with Fendas...
Lily Publications Office wrote: whose members are dedicating themselves to protect the weak from the oppressors.

uhu...

If we ignore the large amount of chemical reactivity in that post (full diagram below)...

A military org is ANY org that partakes in R/D. The fact that we do both just makes us twice the military and double the org :P

I would list off a bunch of stuff, but all you really need to do is read our monthly update to see what we achieved in a month. We think its pretty coolio stuff, and obviously the defenders thought so too. :)
Last edited by Chingis on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Shizensky
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Some people try to come into these things full of emotion.

All I'm gonna say is ball don't lie.

Look at the numbers with me, and I'd say Lily's putting in quite a bit of work.

Thanks again.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 pm

It was lovely being able to vote and participate in this. :hug:
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Reventus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Reventus Koth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Witchcraft and Sorcery wrote:There was quite the battle in voting for this award before a very clear winner emerged. Given to the player who has helped the intelligence cause the most in the past year, our winner went undercover in a place few defenders would willingly go and spent three months rising through the ranks of the Invaders before taking off the mask and revealing that she was a Warden all along. She has since become an incredibly valuable member of the Wardens’ leadership, and it is my great privilege to present this award to NAKARI!

This explanation sings a different tune than what I was told before: that Nakari was a member of The Invaders that turned informer and eventually switched loyalties. Which is true?
Formerly known as Ambroscus Koth, +1843 posts. Trust no one.
Xanthal wrote:Only raiders can win in this war- a defender can keep them from winning one region, one update at a time, but there will always be the next region, the next update, and the next, forever.

Saltmoras
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saltmoras » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Shizensky wrote:
Brotherhood of Guns wrote:Could you mention real achivements please :) ?

Some people try to come into these things full of emotion.

All I'm gonna say is ball don't lie.

Look at the numbers with me, and I'd say Lily's putting in quite a bit of work.

Thanks again.

Yeah, its been a pretty impressive display of diligence seeing Lily do so much in so little time. Congratulations to all the winners!

Nakari
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nakari » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Reventus Koth wrote:
Witchcraft and Sorcery wrote:There was quite the battle in voting for this award before a very clear winner emerged. Given to the player who has helped the intelligence cause the most in the past year, our winner went undercover in a place few defenders would willingly go and spent three months rising through the ranks of the Invaders before taking off the mask and revealing that she was a Warden all along. She has since become an incredibly valuable member of the Wardens’ leadership, and it is my great privilege to present this award to NAKARI!

This explanation sings a different tune than what I was told before: that Nakari was a member of The Invaders that turned informer and eventually switched loyalties. Which is true?

I was a member of The Invaders, turned informer, and was an undercover Warden for months before the reveal. I'm not annoyed about W&S getting the details a little wrong, easy mistake. On the whole he's done a great job, and so has everyone who won, or was nominated, or contributed through voting <3 Congratulations to all of you!
Your role is Chamberlain of the Grey Wardens. Your job is to break hearts and make bad puns.

You have the position of Legislator in the South Pacific. You have 2 bullets.

You are spending the night as a Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Have a good time!

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Congratulations to the really outstanding people and organizations that won. :clap:

It truly has been a great year to join defenderdom! Winners and nominees and organizers including W&S, Roavin, Tim, Nakari, Lenly, Kaante Hame, Vinny D, Vinny D, Vinny D, Fratt, Viet, RedDusk, Jack (<3), Benevolent Thomas, TITO, FORGE, LILY and TGW (along with the lovelies I haven't named) have transformed defending into a vital and really enjoyable part of NationStates.

It's such a pleasure to partake with this community <3

Dream Team
Last edited by Escade on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Yay I didn't win anything :clap:
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Saltmoras
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saltmoras » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:Yay I didn't win anything :clap:

TGW won one though, and you are a Warden, grats on the win. :clap:

Warwick Z Codger
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Warwick Z Codger » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 pm

An independent org can win the best raider award, yet you rigged everything to ensure that the Poll Raiders didn't win the 2014 awards...

I'll never let that go :p

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Congrats to all the winners!
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Metal Mekhet
Secretary

Founded: Jan 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Metal Mekhet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 am

Warwick Z Codger wrote:An independent org can win the best raider award, yet you rigged everything to ensure that the Poll Raiders didn't win the 2014 awards...

I'll never let that go :p

I agree. As Pollger's right hand man, I say this is a sham now as it was then!
A TRUE NATIVE SON OF LAZARUS

Red Dusk
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Red Dusk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 am

Same here. I also am not in any of the orgs who won stuff.

Ah well. 'Tis what I get for hearing "You deserve that award!" from a half dozen people.

Congratulations to those who won. o>

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012

Postby Louisistan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:33 am

Congratulations to all the winners.
Knight of TITO

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Red Dusk wrote:

Same here. I also am not in any of the orgs who won stuff.

Ah well. 'Tis what I get for hearing "You deserve that award!" from a half dozen people.

Congratulations to those who won. o>

The year that I was finally going to win all of the awards I wanted to didn't even have the awards :hug:

Cheers, my fellow Clay Aiken!

Longer statement on awards and sentimental thoughts posted in the thread on the TGW forum.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Chingis wrote:Damn Rai beat me to it.

And I don't remember anyone from Lily saying we're the one true independent. I would say that claim goes to JTF more than us.

Despite our superior successes at tagging, we're not a "raider" org per se :P

Only because you mentioned it -

Liliarchy - 07/14/2017
maybe there weren't many actual independents then

Liliarchy - 07/14/2017
people are used to defender/raider leaning "independents"

Liliarchy - 07/14/2017
I think you've never seen an actual independent org :yum:

...General idea was very much "we are the only real independents."
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay