NATION

PASSWORD

Breakfast With Brunhilde - Bacon With a Side of Influence

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Brunhizzle
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Breakfast With Brunhilde - Bacon With a Side of Influence

Postby Brunhizzle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Couper's Delight
First Issue

Editor's Note

Welcome to the First Issue of Breakfast With Brunhilde!

This paper is meant to be my way to be involved with the gameplay community despite my decision to remain in semi-retirement as I maintain my health. For those of you that don’t know, when you don’t want to retire but can't maintain activity NationState can become rather drab and so, rather than sit on my hands as I wait for my body to heal, I decided to create a newspaper that embodied everything that I stand for with Gameplay Newspapers. What’s that, you ask? I believe in a paper that can be read while sitting on our rears as we stuff our face with breakfast foods in hopes that the paper will placate our boredom with op-eds that we find intriguing, a different spin on the same news that we’ve already heard, and the potential for a surprise we never expected. My intention with this paper is to make something that toes the line between interesting and fair, engaging but balanced, and to have a little fun with it as I go.

If that intention interests you, pull up a chair and grab a bagel. No, not a blueberry bagel you monster. A real bagel, a bagel you can enjoy with a bit of cream cheese and your choice of breakfast beverage while you read an article someone else wrote before disagreeing with it firmly in a thread reply.

Today’s featured article is “The Path From Illegitimate to Legitimate” which will discuss the path taken by “coupers” who wish to turn their new unrecognized government into something no one can deny. Following it will be an article entitled “Then and Now: Defending” in which we will examine the metamorphosis of Defending as it has evolved from its roots of days past to where it exists now. To round out this first issue will be “Building Up and Out” where we will examine the different ways in which NationStates communities have diversified beyond NationStates.

I hope you’ll all enjoy my attempt to create something worth reading and if you have any questions about the articles posted, please feel free to share them!

The Path From Illegitimate to Legitimate

NationStates is a game of highs and lows, of roller coasters that take us from the dregs of ennui to the climax of furor. There are periods in our little world in which we find ourselves twiddling our thumbs and relying on the mundane drama of gameplay as we wait for the next calamity to engross ourselves in. For some these scandals are the appeal of the game, the thing that they find themselves drawn to when all else fails. Among these cause célèbre, there are none as exciting, nor as controversial, as a coup d'état. These coups are the actions that shear apart gameplay factions, that break alliances, and work to change the long term direction of foreign agendas. As a community, we have became engrossed in them. They fascinate us so much that we wait and watch with predatory eyes to see what will unfold. Yet, for all of this interest we rarely ask what comes next for these new governments.

We know that a coup will cause things to be different, certainly, but we usually focus on the immediate repercussions rather than question what the moves down the road will be. How do new governments seek out allies that didn’t support them through their seizing of power? How do they revitalize their communities after rejecting some of its members? Most importantly at what point do these illegitimate governments become legitimate? For its participants, the shackles of being named a “couper” never truly disappear. It has been nearly nine years since The Empire and NeeNee seized power in The East Pacific, yet if you ask any decently informed player about them their names will unquestionably be linked to that coup. In Osiris, Cormac seized power over a year ago and has since passed on his power to an heir. Yet, despite Osiris’ changes, their region’s name is still linked to whispers of “illegitimate.” This begs the question of “Can the stigma be removed?” Will these people, and these regions, ever be free of the whispers that cloud their pasts? When, if ever, will their rule be seen as legitimate?

To answer those questions, I thought I’d ask some of those involved in our community’s premier events their opinion on the questions at hand. Their experiences make their viewpoint invaluable to the subject at hand and it from them that we gain knowledge of the struggles caused by seizing power. In order to allow the readers to develop their own opinions, these interviews will be uncut.

I began by reaching out to Cormac, the perpetrator of NationStates’ most recent coup when he seized power from the previous government of Osiris in April of 2016.

Cormac's Interview
Brunhilde: Since your coup d'état, how have things in the gameplay community changed for you? Do you believe that you're viewed differently or has it impacted your other endeavors?

Cormac: Well, it's important to note that I'm commonly regarded as being responsible for two coups in Osiris, the initial establishment of the Osiris Fraternal Order in December 2013 and then the overthrow of the OFO republic in favor of a constitutional monarchy in April 2016. I don't regard the former as a coup, as the Kemetic Republic of Osiris had already been dissolved by Detective Figs (Astarial) earlier in 2013, and you can't perpetrate a coup when there is no established, legal government to overthrow. Nonetheless, many people do classify the December 2013 establishment of the OFO as a coup, so it's important to clarify that point.

The difference in how I'm viewed and how my gameplay has been impacted since the April 2016 coup, versus how I was viewed and impacted after December 2013, have been massive. Some of that may be down to the differences in circumstances; as I said, there was no legal government overthrown in December 2013, but in April 2016 the constitutional government was disbanded. It could also have to do with other factors, such as my participation in Hileville's coup of the South Pacific in early 2016, the first and only coup outside Osiris I have ever supported, which I deeply regret. Participation in that coup gave the impression that I am a "couper" and not just someone trying to navigate the frequently troubled waters of Osiris, and Osiris only. There are also other possible contributing factors, such as my penchant for shifting gameplay alignments, and the perception that I contribute a lot of drama.
Regardless, yes, how I'm viewed and how my gameplay has been impacted have considerably changed. I'm now regarded with suspicion in nearly every Feeder and Sinker, I am discouraged or outright prohibited from participating in several, and there are user-created regions that have also discouraged or prohibited my participation based on my coup of Osiris (though some, such as Europeia, had already done so for other reasons, so again there have been other contributing factors). Perhaps more relevant to your question is that the other three people who participated in the April 2016 coup -- Tim Stark, Ambroscus Koth, Joshua Bluteisen -- have also been discouraged or prohibited from participating in many of these same regions, and they have considerably less history or other contributing factors than I do. So I think that would suggest that participation in a coup, even if only once as was the case with Tim and Josh, can have a significant impact on one's gameplay and others' perception of that person.

Brunhilde: After your coup, in what ways do you believe your ascent to power impacted your region's attempts to move forward both with its internal governance and its foreign agenda?

Cormac: It was very difficult in some ways. I won't go into it in complete depth, but it's sufficient to say that, again, there were contributing factors related specifically to me that had an impact; for example, the New Pacific Order was tentatively supportive of Osiris, but kept its distance until I left office as Pharaoh, not because of how the new government was brought into effect but rather because of their personal distrust of me and their perception that Osiris remained volatile and could significantly change again while I was in office. Since I left office, another factor that has been damaging to Osiris' attempts to improve its foreign affairs position has been my choice to make Neo Kervoskia, a core member (or former core member, according to some) of Empire, my successor, which was compounded by his accidental public posting of damaging logs that showed him discussing infiltration and subversion of the South Pacific. So again, there have been factors specific to Osiris' unique circumstances, that are not necessarily directly related to the government being brought into effect by a coup.

That said, the coup has certainly made foreign affairs for Osiris more challenging. Osiris lost close allies during the course of the coup, including Europeia and Albion. Regions that were already keeping their distance from Osiris, such as The North Pacific and Lazarus, were pushed even further away because the coup demonstrated that despite more than two years of relative peace under the OFO republic, Osiris appeared to be as volatile and as quick to descend into total chaos and conflict as it was in 2013.
Now, to be clear, some regions have been more willing to give the new government in Osiris a chance. Whatever other disagreements I have with them, it is a credit to Balder and The Land of Kings and Emperors that they have remained steadfast allies of Osiris. The East Pacific has also retained its alliance. New alliances have been formed with the West Pacific and Lone Wolves United and, through the GCR Sovereignty Accords, the New Pacific Order. These remaining and new alliances are incredibly valuable and I don't mean to sell them short by saying the coup damaged Osiris' foreign affairs standing. But yes, particularly in the case of more republican regions, foreign affairs were made much more difficult by the April 2016 coup and it's probably going to be a long time and take a lot of work on the part of Osiris -- much more than is currently being done, frankly -- to rebuild even the most basic healthy relationship with those regions.

After a brief pause, Cormac continued.

Cormac: Sorry, I missed the part about internal governance, so I will also speak to that. In many ways, internal governance was actually improved by the coup, with Osiris hitting an all time high in activity -- several months of sustained high activity during my term as Pharaoh, thousands of forum posts per month, the longest continuous period of high activity in Osiris' history. I remain very proud of that. However, one way internal governance was made more difficult was by the departure of experienced citizens who decided to join the resistance in April 2016 and did not return, or in some cases did return but didn't resume their same level of activity, after the resistance collapsed. This forced me to thrust newer and untested people into leadership roles, which in some cases had great results, but in other cases it was too much for them too soon.
It also significantly limited my options for choosing a successor, which led to the imperfect choice of Neo Kervoskia, whose involvement with Empire we both knew would cause foreign affairs issues. I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking him though; despite deep disagreements we've had since I stepped down as Pharaoh, we are now able to communicate and work together, which is mostly a credit to him and his patience. Whatever flaws he may have had in terms of foreign affairs due to his association with Empire, he has been a steady hand and a stabilizing force in Osiris, which is something that was needed. He has also chosen the right successor for himself, in his choice of Syberis, and I believe Syberis will bring the right combination of the activity that I brought as well as the stability that Neo Kervoskia brought, and that Syberis will begin the process of setting Osiris on the right footing both internally and diplomatically. Should that prove true, it will, of course, be Syberis who will deserve the credit, but Neo Kervoskia should be recognized for a brilliant choice of successor. I'm optimistic about Osiris' future.

Brunhilde: Do you believe that an administration installed by a coup can ever be viewed as legitimate and, if so, what kind of actions or time do you feel would be necessary?

Cormac: Yes. Time is a significant factor, and I think it takes at least a year for legitimacy to be solidified, even if regions technically recognize a government as legitimate far earlier. I think most regions now recognize the new government of Osiris as legitimate, in the sense that it has the sovereign right to govern Osiris. What other conclusion could be reached? There is no other faction claiming to be the legitimate government of Osiris and there hasn't been since the resistance collapsed very early on in April 2016. It would be absurd to refuse to recognize the only government Osiris has, the only government even claiming legitimacy, as its legitimate government. But that's the technical definition of legitimacy.
For Osiris to be seen as legitimate in the broader sense, which is to say stable and viable over the long-term, will require more than just waiting in the case of some regions. Again, for the republican regions, it is probably going to require demonstration that Osiris is not going to easily and quickly descend into complete chaos and conflict again in the future. Things like establishing a much higher endorsement cap, or a tiered endorsement cap with a higher cap for citizens or approved citizens, along with doing more to ensure the independence of the Council of Guardians (the regional security council) and encouraging endorsement swapping -- all of these things would go a long way toward demonstrating to regions like TNP and Europeia, for example, that even if Osiris faces another coup in the future, there will be some realistic chance of defeating it and preserving this government. Another necessary step, and I say this as someone who would be affected, is prohibiting anyone directly involved in a coup against another -- any other -- Feeder or Sinker from reaching the highest levels of government, and making unilateral legal commitments to non-aggression in regard to other Feeders and Sinkers. This could go a long way toward demonstrating that Osiris isn't interested in hostility with its fellow Feeders and Sinkers, a necessary step for regions like Lazarus and the South Pacific, which have been burned by Osiris in the past. Further democratization, provided it is done incrementally and with a mind toward not demonstrating instability, also couldn't hurt.
The good news is that these steps would also be internally good for Osiris! A higher endorsement cap and encouragement of endorsement swapping stimulates game-side activity; we know that's true not only from TNP, but also from Europeia, a UCR that essentially implemented TNP's endorsement system. A tiered cap that connects a higher endorsement level to citizenship could encourage more game-side residents to check out the forum and become citizens. Prohibiting direct coup participants from reaching the highest levels of government would make Osiris safer. Unilateral non-aggression in regard to other Feeders and Sinkers would do more to reduce concerns that Osiris is acting in bad faith toward them, which will make people less wary to actively participate in Osiris as citizens. Further democratization, including greater empowerment of existing democratic institutions, more checks and balances, and maybe one or two more significant reforms such as an elected versus appointed cabinet, could do much to stimulate internal activity. I should note this does not necessarily have to come at the cost of constitutional monarchy, provided the role of the Pharaoh is incrementally reduced and democratic institutions are further empowered as a result.
There is some resistance to this kind of reform in Osiris at the moment. That's normal, because it has been a tumultuous year and a bit for Osiris. Some are concerned more reform will cause Osiris to be perceived as more unstable. While that is a valid concern, and reform should come incrementally (something I struggle with because I'm impatient), reform must come and while the steps toward reform may be incremental they must also be steady. What Osirans have to realize is that many regions still see Osiris as unstable, and this government just continuing to exist for a year or two isn't going to change that. The OFO republic existed for more than two years and fell in the blink of an eye. The only thing that will change the perception of instability is the creation, or in most cases the strengthening, of institutions and systems that will discourage further instability and ensure that there can be no more winner-take-all coups as a means to settle political conflict. Political conflict will always arise at some point, but such conflict must be settled in Osiris through peaceful, orderly means, and until Osiris can demonstrate that the safeguards are in place to ensure that will happen, many regions will keep their distance.

To give another viewpoint, I also thought it’d be a good idea to reach out to one of the most famous so-called coupers of today. NeeNee was one of the founding members of the Empire and has been a participant in coups in TWP, TEP, and Osiris in years past.

NeeNee's Interview
Brunhilde: Since your coup d'état, how have things in the gameplay community changed for you? Do you believe that you're viewed differently or has it impacted your other endeavors?

NeeNee: It’s interesting, actually, because things changed more later on than they did right away. After being involved in a certain number of these things, it seems that no matter what, it is assumed that I’m going to do something similar again, no matter the reasons for the other ones. I’ve noticed the last year or year and a half having been the most difficult in terms of impact and how I am viewed. It’s not everyone who views me differently, just a few people who are outspoken, but it has impacted how I play the game and has caused me concern for if others will be swayed by the hype, even though I’m not doing anything wrong.

Brunhilde: After your coup, in what ways do you believe your ascent to power impacted your region's attempts to move forward both with its internal governance and its foreign agenda?

NeeNee: They each had a positive impact. In TWP, internally, it helped to created needed change, even though it only lasted barely 24 hours. In TEP, it caused the region to actually get out there and participate, both while we held it and after we were gone, as well as do more internally to promote activity.

Brunhilde: Do you believe that an administration installed by a coup can ever be viewed as legitimate and, if so, what kind of actions or time do you feel would be necessary?

NeeNee: Yes, I absolutely believe that an administration installed by a coup can be viewed as legit. Behaving as legitimate, making others have to deal with you, and controlling things well enough to stabilize, all lead to being viewed as legitimate. The amount of time needed varies on the specific situation in that particular region, though. But, yes, a coup can become legitimate.

I also wanted to take the time to reach out to gain the opinion of an outside leader, who could give an opinion would take for a coup to gain legitimacy in the eyes of an outside leader. While not directly involved in the coup, it is reactions from outside which would make a couped region’s legitimacy a possibility rather than just an idea.

For this I began by reaching out to Sopo, multiple term President in Europeia and a familiar name in many GCRs, for his opinion on the issue. While Sopo has participated in a coup, it was unsuccessful and the large part of his NS Career has been spent on the outside looking in. I believe the two situations have left him with a unique perspective that is worth exploring for this article.

Sopo's Interview
Brunhilde: As someone who has held a position of power, in what ways do you feel a coup impacts another region’s foreign agenda? Does it change the way you interact with them?

Sopo: A coup generally hampers a region's foreign agenda. Even if the new regime shares a similar foreign policy viewpoint as its predecessor (which isn't usually the case), allies may not recognize the new regime or nevertheless consider treaties voided. Other partners may hesitate to embrace a new and potentially unstable government. On the other hand, a new regime could open new opportunities closed to the previous regime, especially if the old government was unpopular.

Brunhilde: In your eyes, what would a couper have to achieve for them to lose the stigma of being a couper?

Sopo: A couper can lose the stigma of being a couper if they are a stable and successful member of the NS community, whether in the same region or elsewhere, for an extended period of time. A single coup or involvement in a coup can easily be chalked up to thinking irrationally or making a mistake. Only once overthrowing legitimate governments becomes a habit does the stigma become difficult or possible to overcome.

Brunhilde: What actions does an illegitimate government have to take for you to view them as legitimate?

Sopo: Well, eventually, people give up. If the illegitimate government remains in power and opposition dies out, the government can quickly gain the confidence of the people and other regions. Just practically, it's hard to hold a grudge if the change is seen as more or less permanent and the regime is stable.

Finally, I reached out to a person that I know as Rach but whom many people know as Solorni. Solorni has served in various positions in Europeia, chief among them President. Most notably, however, she has served as Balder’s Queen since April of 2013 which makes her the longest serving current GCR Delegate.

Solorni's Interview
Brunhilde: As someone who has held a position of power, in what ways do you feel a coup impacts another region’s foreign agenda? Does it change the way you interact with them?

Solorni: It certainly does because you need to think about the reaction to your reaction towards. It can greatly affect how other regions view your own region and interact with it. The New Pacific Order took a lot of flak for supporting the Lazarus coup for example. I guess you got to balance how cost effective you think supporting the coup will be, what chance you think the coup has of succeeding and how much you value your ideals.

Brunhilde: In your eyes, what would a couper have to achieve for them to lose the stigma of being a couper?

Solorni: I’m not sure really. I think a lot of depends on the perceived reasons for the coup and why the couper is doing it. People like Sopo and HEM for example, who recently participated in a coup of TSP really have not seen that stigma attached to them. So I guess a lot of has to do with what they are really known for and if they can build a new reputation or already have one.

Brunhilde: What actions does an illegitimate government have to take for you to view them as legitimate?

Solorni: I think they need to show a level of contrition, tolerance and good governance aimed at improving the region.

All of these interviews point to a single, conclusive answer: There is a path towards legitimacy for those who have brought about the toppling of a government. While the circumstances around every coup is different, and no two coups are equal, the fact remains that the recovery from a coup must see the new government striving to show a commitment to good governance. As long as they strive towards that goal, the only other test appears to be time. It’s not until one begins to think about whether or not the coupers themselves can lose the stigma that came with their actions that the question begins to complicate itself. I believe it to be one that will continue to be asked as more and more people look towards coups as a sort of spectacle. For the coupers themselves, this may never be an issue as they accept what the perception of them may be before striving to mold their new region in the method of their own choosing. Moving forward I believe coupers will continue to seek legitimacy for their governments rather than for themselves, a situation that will undoubtedly continue to be a factor so long as GCR Delegations continue to be a focal point of our community.

In light of this, the question becomes one of weighing the cost and the reward. What will future coupers need to sacrifice to see their new possessions flourish? Will these people be able to stand against the public denouncements and cries from those who oppose their actions? Or will they find that they would rather continue to avoid the pressure that comes with seizing power? If they ask themselves these questions and still wish to proceed, then it’s clear that they must focus on governing their regions with care and effort if they wish to be taken seriously by anyone aside from themselves. That is the path towards legitimacy.

Defending: Then and Now

While coups tend to be the premier event in our little world, they have rarely served as the force that propels the day to day of our community. They are the peak, but a world can not be simply peaks. Between these peaks our community has needed a driving force to keep people interested. The undercard, if you will. Some decide to dabble in regional governance, immersing themselves in a bureaucracy that allows them to explore their political inclinations. Others traverse a world of role play, where they join others in being whatever meets their fancy. For some, though, that is not enough and so they set themselves to the world of so-called “military gameplay.” This aspect of our community has remained a constant, though the same could hardly be said for its players. The rise and fall of raider regions like DEN and TBR were attention grabbing spectacles. The demise of defender groups like the FRA and the decline of the UDL are still fresh in the minds of those who witnessed them. Each of these regions have left a profound impact on our community, some of which might be seen as a negative by those who stand opposed to the actions of these groups. Many like to discuss this impact, but I believe that the focus should turn instead to the transition from old to new and what it means for our community.

Perhaps no transition is as pronounced as that of the Defender Sphere. What was once a group dominated by Moralism, where defending was seen as a sort of moral crusade, has transformed to a group defined by competition. It has evolved from a cause of morality to a sort of antagonizing rivalry. As the leaders of the defending sphere have moved from the traditional views of groups like the FRA and UDL to the more modern groups like TGW, we have seen a rise in inclusion among many R/D groups. Hardline stances of not fraternizing with the enemy have melted away in favor of a competitive environment where members of opposite groups can be opponents one moment and in the next can join together to have a laugh. I must admit that I don’t know what this means for our community. Have the different groups gotten complacent? I don’t believe so. Has the quality of the competition gone down? No, certainly not. Instead, I believe that the game has simply metamorphosed. While it’s certainly not as morally heated as it once was, there certainly exists no lack of confrontation. One needs only look at the self proscribed “shitposting” from the different groups as they utilize one-upmanship and trolling to create a more competitive environment. The ideological changes from then and now are certainly prevalent, but I don’t believe I have the proper experience with them to be an authority.

We, as outsiders, can certainly see how their changes have impacted things superficially but our game is an ever-changing one where nothing is ever skin deep. To do this subject justice, I decided to reach out to a few people involved in deferdom, both new and old, to get their opinion on the changes that have come about to their sphere.

I began by reaching out to Roavin, leader of The Grey Wardens and one of the most prominent defenders in gameplay today.

Roavin's Interview
Brunhilde: What do you believe defines the culture of defending today?

Roavin: Collaboration - in fact, you could call it Defender Unity. Part of this stems from the use of a shared Discord server we affectionally call "Libcord". In the officers channel, high-ranking individuals from all defender militaries (including TITO) coordinate what needs to be done and how it needs to be done, and in the main channel all troops then come together every update. Besides the actual defending, the culture (which also spreads out from Libcord) is very communal and inclusive, and much of that doesn't shut out fellow gameplayers from the other side.

Brunhilde: Looking back at defender groups that came earlier, what do you feel is the largest differences between them and the groups we have now?

Roavin: Obviously I can only go by what I know from NS History, as I'm relatively new. I feel that the groups we have now are generally more pragmatic and more tolerant. What I mean is that from what I can tell, there is much more mingling of gameplayers from all sides than there had ever been - and in fact, we encourage this, as a recognition that we're all just gameplayers playing the same game but on different sides. That doesn't mean that moralism isn't a thing - it absolutely still is, and that's a good thing, but it's not the primary methodology anymore, which I think just makes human interactions much less toxic. Furthermore, collaborations even between defenders and non-defenders is less of an issue than it's ever been - while there'll always be a wary eye on both sides in that kind of situation, it's much less of a horror scenario and I would guess that it's just being dealt with much more professionally.

Brunhilde: Do you feel that the divide between raiders and defenders has gotten any less competitive than it used to be?

Roavin: No, I don't think so. Again, the caveat here is that I'm still relatively new, but just from observing the past year, there are shifts in either direction happening all the time. There was the strong showing of the "jumpy switchy" defenders last summer, followed by invaders being incredibly strong in terms of numbers, followed now by defenders getting stronger again. Overall though, subjectively at least, it's stayed the same.

Roavin’s view is that of someone experiencing what Defending has become. He, and those who came before him in TGW, have shaped their brand of Defending in a new direction that has embraced a brand of defending that might have caused a scandal in times past. While this is no doubt interesting, it leaves us without a view from someone who has seen the shifts and has experienced what has come before. It’s because of this that I reached out to Guy.

Having gotten his start in 2008, Guy has spent time in TITO, the FRA, and TRR which grants him the type of experienced viewpoint that this piece currently lacks. Thankfully, he agreed to help me shed some light on the situation from an alternate viewpoint.

Guy's Interview
Brunhilde: What do you believe defined the culture of groups like the FRA in years past?

Guy: This is an interesting question. The FRA prided itself on maintaining good relations with fellow defenders, often facilitating coordination between various defender groups; as well as being less confrontational in its dealings with invaders.

Those involved in the FRA were always at the high echelons of the defender sphere, professional and reliable. There was a belief that if you do the work, and do it well, the positive outcomes will naturally flow. This was perhaps a little outdated with the increased importance of propaganda, but I think its longevity and influence ultimately speaks for itself.

This was helped by the fact that the FRA was strictly defender, seeing as its sole goal the protection of native regions. Some say that this made the FRA ‘boring’, but that doesn’t mean FRAers didn’t play the game for fun: But fun doesn’t have to be your explicit objective. You don’t play Monopoly looking for fun; rather, Monopoly is fun on its own. Bad example? :P

TITO has always been somewhat isolationist, and while it’s been led by people with different outlooks, this hasn’t changed much. TITO will always do its own thing, which is as much of a strength as it is a weakness.

Brunhilde: Looking back at some of the earlier defender groups, what do you feel is the largest difference between them and the groups that we have now? Do you feel the divide between raiders and defenders has gotten any less competitive than it used to be?

Guy: Past defender groups did vary in their ethos a fair bit, as I discussed above. What has changed is that the composition of the defender side is more varied.

The ideals of the FRA and TITO are still represented. They are a lower share of the mix, but still rather influential, because a lot of defenders are in it for the same reasons. We don’t suffer from some of the issues that have plagued us in the past, or indeed sometimes plague the other side, because we want to achieve the same things and want to go about it in a broadly similar way.

TGW is different in some respects to groups that came before it. I’m not sure to what degree the moralist vs ‘for-fun’ distinction holds – there are certainly people within TGW who have trouble with certain invading actions – but it certainly takes a fairly IC approach, with the invasion game been seen more as a competition between two axes with opposing objectives. The idea of opposing the other side to the point that you’d invade their regions was historically the providence of ‘extremist’ defenders. When TITO invaded region that declared war on it, there was an outcry.

Indeed, the invasion game is becoming more ICly as a whole. This is not to say that R/D used to be entirely OOC, with every invasion or defence taken personally: Definitely not. And it’s not to say that people are no longer concerned with the consequences of invasions: Many invading groups out there have strict rules about what can and cannot be done in the course of an invasion.

With the ascent of ‘raiderism’ a few years ago, we saw a new group of invaders committed to raiding for the sake of it. A win is a win, defenders are the enemy, and not much else matters. It’s probably even led to a less gentlemanly (or -womanly) way of playing the game, especially on the raider side, not only in the way that native regions are treated, but how defenders are seen. We have become ‘the enemy’ to a lot of them (even if only IC), rather than partners in the same game. A striking illustration of this is that many years ago, some invaders would far more openly decry, and even work against, invasions that they believed went too far.

This has meant that the ‘competition’ in R/D has evolved, and not solely for the better or worse. It’s harsher in some respects, but equally there is more communication between players on opposing sides (at least as it comes to some groups – others have somewhat more isolated). In a way, it’s made it personal and IC at the same time, which is not always a good combination. It’s made us forget that we all benefit from a competitive invasion game.

There are all sorts smaller groups right now who partake in defending. What distinguishes some of them is that they play both sides of the divide. It’s not something that we saw on a big scale before. There have also been more individuals ‘switching’, but that’s been a trend for quite a few years now. These trends have been facilitated by the uptake of the same communication media by both invaders and defenders. You won’t see someone in TITO become an invader, of course.

Together these answers give a look into a Defender sphere which has evolved beyond what it once was. Indeed, the sphere as a whole might have transitioned more than their Raider counterparts. While not true in every case, in many instances we’ve seen a defender sphere that has grown more comfortable with going on the offensive. Has this transition to a more aggressive defending helped facilitate a defending sphere that is more accepting of social interaction with their counterparts? Perhaps, though it’s entirely possible that this increased interaction has came a result of a blurring of the lines between. I believe that possibility begets a question. Has this transition caused the two groups to become complacent, thus lowering the competition? No, no it hasn’t. One needs only look towards the Gameplay forum or the NSGP Discord to see that the competition is very much alive and well. As long as that is true, and so long as that competition continues to attract new participants, I believe we’ll continue to see this new brand of defending grow.

Building Up by Branching Out

We all know the story. New to power and now the head of a promising region, a government sets itself to growing. The focus is on creating a culture that promotes recruitment and retention in the hopes of not only bringing in fresh faces but also creating a place where they would like to stay. They’ve been the foundation for creating a strong region for over a decade now and have been utilized by UCR and GCR alike, albeit in differing ways, throughout the history of the game. They are the best way to grow your region.

Or are they? There exists a minority of regions which have taken to doing something else. They’ve looked at the confines of the game, and the communities made possible by the game, and have asked themselves “Why stop here?” For some, the answer to that question has been to expand into being a more broadly defined roleplay community. The Kingdom of Alexandria is good example of this phenomenon. Founded as an NS Monarchy by experienced Gameplayers and including members with experience in everything from Foreign Diplomacy to Military Gameplay to World Assembly Affairs, the Kingdom has transitioned from its NS roots into a thriving roleplay community which not only accepts members from outside of the game but has actively withdrawn from it. NationStates was simply the foundation, the progenitor, from which they developed a separate community of their own. It creates a question of “Is this a viable avenue?” for burgeoning roleplay regions who wish to make their focus roleplay rather than NationStates. It opens another world of possibility for creating an offsite community, one which would operate independently of the very thing that made its creation possible.

This idea of operating independently of NationStates was not started by KoA, however. Reaching back as far as 2006, The Pacific has operated as a multi-platform community after they expanded into CyberNations. For them it began as a sort of Imperialist Outreach that evolved as they began expanding into different political simulators and creating communities for them that became their own entities. Now, not all of them worked. Some fell by the wayside, whether it was because of a general lack of popularity for the game or inactive admins which failed to serve the needs to the game they were meant to serve. Those that did succeed, however, helped The Pacific and the NPO to expand beyond the foundation laid by NationStates. Their successes even caused imitation as former defending organization ADN followed them into the world of CyberNations where they founded a community of their own, one that still operates while its NationStates counterpart has failed the test of time. For the NPO, this change brought not only the ability to create new communities but also allowed them to broaden their influence beyond what would have been possible in NationStates alone.

Each example has taken the question of how to expand and decided to grow outside of the norm. Rather than following the beaten path, each has decided to strike out in their own direction with the hope that they would be able to do more. Both are thriving despite, or perhaps because of, the risks they’ve taken. I suppose that they warrant the question: Are these instances, limited as they may be by sample size, evidence that a community that is created on NationStates can become more than simply a NationStates community? I believe the answer to that is open to interpretation and one that requires a community to be willing to look outside the box.

*Thank you to Cormac, NeeNee, Solorni, Sopo, Roavin, Guy, and Ark both for providing interviews and for providing information. I'd also like to thank Lynneiah for helping with my grammar mistakes.
Last edited by Brunhizzle on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brunhilde

"I have three children and if I can raise just one of them to be more like Brunhilde and less like Sygian I'll consider myself a successful parent."
-Scardino

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm

At last, a vaguely broadsheet-y and unbiased newspaper (even if it does come from the founder of CAIN, and it was published at 8pm in the UK)! Good job, Brunhilde.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Very interesting range of interviews. Excellent first issue for your paper. I hope to see more.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 pm

This was really good Brun :)
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Yun
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Yun » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Just read it ^_^

These are insightful interviews

Brunhizzle
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunhizzle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Tinhampton wrote:At last, a vaguely broadsheet-y and unbiased newspaper (even if it does come from the founder of CAIN, and it was published at 8pm in the UK)! Good job, Brunhilde.

It would have been posted yesterday but real life caused some difficulties for a few interviewees. :)
Brunhilde

"I have three children and if I can raise just one of them to be more like Brunhilde and less like Sygian I'll consider myself a successful parent."
-Scardino

DJ Raid
Attaché

Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby DJ Raid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:32 pm

This is nice. A good way to spend your time on NS these days.
The Sygian by day, sick spinnin' DJ by night.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Wheeeeee, BWB! Love it
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 pm

It was an honor to get to participate in the first issue. I apologize that I rambled so much more than anyone else interviewed. :P

Roavin
Admin

Founded: Apr 07, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Roavin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Cormactopia Prime wrote:It was an honor to get to participate in the first issue. I apologize that I rambled so much more than anyone else interviewed. :P

So I had wanted to write a bunch more than I did write, and then decided to just write the short version because I figured this was an interview and not me writing an article (also Brun was already prodding me because I was being fashionably late >_> ). Then I saw the first interview, which was yours, and thought "Fuuuu---"... :P
Helpful Resources: One Stop Rules Shop | API documentation | NS Coders Discord
About me: Longest serving Prime Minister in TSP | Former First Warden of TGW | aka Curious Observations

Feel free to TG me, but not about moderation matters.

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Cormactopia Prime wrote:It was an honor to get to participate in the first issue. I apologize that I rambled so much more than anyone else interviewed. :P

I was gonna mention this, but good on you for realizing this.

This is a really good article Brunhilde.

May PixelNations rest in peace.
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I was about to criticize this, then I noticed that it called blueberry bagels fake, and had clip art of real coffee. All of the bells and whistles appear in place, and for that, I must give credit where credit is due: Good job Brunhilde.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:26 pm

This is an exciting new development for NS and already in the first issue - three interesting topics are tackled in a well-rounded way. (Lois Lane reporter GIF here).

I appreciate the discussion on couping and impacts in and outside of the region.

In terms of stigma and such that definitely depends on the person and the region and whether the coup is successful or not. In TSP, there was a lot of bad feelings towards Milgrad post the 2013 coup but at some point people remembered his positive contributions and attempted a pardon (which didn't quite work out). So I think, "a commitment to good governance" and reconciliation is probably the most distinguishing factor whether for a region or for an individual trying to remove stigma.

I was here when the R\D culture was more hostile and never wanted to be part of that world because it seemed very binary. This new more collaborative vibe has probably also helped with activity and generally feeling like your playing a game for fun and camaraderie. The role of Discord and VC in changing things (before this there were Skype chats but they could be more exclusive or invite only, etc) for R\D and also for regional and inter-regional collaborations is also interesting to watch.
Last edited by Escade on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 pm

I think it also depends a lot on the nature of the coup - if you coup with some sort of positive intent to change the region for the better in mind, you're more likely to get away with it, socially, then if you couped just for the f*ck of it.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

Brunhizzle
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunhizzle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Cresenthia wrote:I was about to criticize this, then I noticed that it called blueberry bagels fake, and had clip art of real coffee. All of the bells and whistles appear in place, and for that, I must give credit where credit is due: Good job Brunhilde.

The lovely Imki was nice enough to make the french press logo for another project that never got realized. Luckily I still had it and was able to use it for this paper.
Brunhilde

-Scardino

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Cresenthia wrote:I was about to criticize this, then I noticed that it called blueberry bagels fake, and had clip art of real coffee. All of the bells and whistles appear in place, and for that, I must give credit where credit is due: Good job Brunhilde.

Damn. Did Scansinia let you off your leash for a bit?
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Dalimbar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2004
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dalimbar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:40 pm

A really good read, Brun. It's nice to see different perspectives on a topic given the chance to make their points.
Dalimbar,
Delegate / Pharaoh (Ret.) of Osiris
Delegate (Ret.) of The North Pacific
Guardian (Ret.) of The West Pacific
Member of the Ex-Feeder Tyrant Club
Escade - @Dali how many husbands do you have and why do you take the bestest ones
Dali -1. Who knows. 2. Because I am a scoundrel.
---
Ark - He shows off some obscure but tasteful art, features smoking heavily, and is ironically more popular now than when he was published
---
Comrade Senator Marina - Dali is the most fabulous man alive and the bane of all uncouped regions

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 am

This is really , really good reading, and I look forward to more issues.
As others have mentioned, the different perspectives are great, and I personally like the sheer volume of information/perspectives.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 am

I firmly disagree with this whole issue as I enjoy my coffee and toasted bagel with cream cheese.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Brunhizzle
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunhizzle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:I firmly disagree with this whole issue as I enjoy my coffee and toasted bagel with cream cheese.

At least you haven't made the mistake of choosing a blueberry bagel.
Brunhilde

-Scardino

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:22 am

Brunhizzle wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:I firmly disagree with this whole issue as I enjoy my coffee and toasted bagel with cream cheese.

At least you haven't made the mistake of choosing a blueberry bagel.

Blueberry bagels are for heathens.

It was a good read :)
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:
Brunhizzle wrote:At least you haven't made the mistake of choosing a blueberry bagel.

Blueberry bagels are for heathens.

It was a good read :)

There, we finally agree on something.

Davelands
Envoy

Founded: Jan 13, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Davelands » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am

Sorry for being a little late in posting but it really was an excellent edition.
You did a great job of getting perspective out of the interviews!

Looking forward to the next one!
The Don of The Family NS and the CEO of The Sportsbook
The West Pacific - Former Delegate, Guardian, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Internal Affairs
The East Pacific - Former Minister of Regional Affairs, Provost, Magister, and Minister of Foreign Affairs
Banned/PNG/Proscribed/Pick-Your-Synonym from: Osiris, The East Pacific, The Pacific, The South Pacific, and others (if I'm banned from your region, let me know and I'll add you to the list)
Author of the record setting SC proposal "Condemn Nations Creating Regions For SC Props"

As always: Freaking Adorable

Isaris
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Isaris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 pm

An excellent article, with very compelling interviews and great topics. Well done, Brun! :clap:

Freien
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freien » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 am

Excellent! Awaiting to see more from the paper in the future.
Comrade WA Delegate of The Internationale (x3)
A Squadron Admiral of The Red Fleet (01/10/17 - )
Qui Tacet Consentit

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay