NATION

PASSWORD

Europeian Embassy - Million Post Palooza!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Doing it Rightland
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 143
Founded: Dec 20, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Doing it Rightland » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am

The Gilded Star wrote:ITT: Pierconium is Lucy, the APC is Charlie Brown, and Pierconium's acquiescence is the football.

Hilarious.

On a more serious note, though, I do respect Europeia's and Topid's statements. They have achieved their goals, and as such, their actions in this conflict conclude. Should the Pacific go back to historical abuses, I have no doubt they will return to the APC. But I don't think it's right to bash the two simply because they feel satisfied with the outcome on their end. I hope that changes in the Pacific are lasting, and I look forward to the Pacific making amends with the inter-regional community as we all move forward.
Just a nation trying to right the wrongs it can.

"Do kayokem anmodo kemode arboyem, y mi — mi ansido na."
-Rightlandian Proverb

User avatar
Altinsane
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 158
Founded: Feb 13, 2017
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Altinsane » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Altinsane wrote:You can expect us to continue to not cater to your requests and baiting.

Accusations of baiting belong in Moderation, not used as GP jabs. You were doing so well too :(


Oh my Lord. Lol. I was not accusing him of Flamebait. Just the regular kind. Y'all take me for way more aggressive than I'm actually being sometimes. I've been aggressive at like one person ever out here. Ivan is not the guy. He's just some dude I meme around with.

Pierconium wrote:
Altinsane wrote:Lol :3 I was having fun.
----

Ivan -
Something something self important something else glhf. As evidently APC is doing nothing at all to harm NPO aside from very much not liking them, shocking to hear that you intend to "focus upon" us the regions of our organizers as enemies. Very scary. Dang NPO never changes. :( Subversive sneaks.

I meant focus my ridicule, as was evident in my post.

I have no need to ‘target’ any region and the Pacific has no plans to do so at present simply because it has no need to. All I have to do to point to the failures of the APC is look at the location of my nation. Since your stated aim is the destruction of the NPO, and apparently all member regions of the APC share that aim equally (except when they conveniently don’t because of a lack of coordination and cohesion evidently) I simply need to exist and remain in the Pacific to illustrate your failure.


Did I state that? I recall stating a whole buncha times that NPO's "changed" act was a farse. I don't recall saying anything really beyond that. Good to know we're all entirely safe from all evils except you making mean faces, though. I don't really mind mean faces, they're kinda cute. :3
Altino Asteorra
Karma Sage
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris
Occasional Punstress
Very, very fond of owls
{o,o}
|)__)
-”-”-

User avatar
Escade
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1006
Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Escade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 pm

What I Used to Feel From GP Posts\Incidents:
Image


What I Feel Skimming This Thread
Image
Last edited by Escade on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
King HEM
Envoy
 
Posts: 267
Founded: Mar 07, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby King HEM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Escade wrote:What I Used to Feel From GP Posts\Incidents:


What I Feel Skimming This Thread


I usually hate GIFs, but this is perfect.
HEM

Founder of Europeia
Former Vice Delegate of The South Pacific
Raider sympathizer, NS media guru, not relevant since 2009

User avatar
Cormactopia Prime
Minister
 
Posts: 2264
Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 pm

King HEM wrote:
Escade wrote:What I Used to Feel From GP Posts\Incidents:


What I Feel Skimming This Thread


I usually hate GIFs, but this is perfect.

Maybe you should consider doing something about the abysmal state of gameplay. Europeia actually just contributed to more stagnation by declaring "victory" and reverting to the years long status quo of focusing inward and having no impact on gameplay. So you're part of the problem.
Cormactopia Prime
President of the Pacifica Democratic Union

Justin Amash for President | "The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse." - Edmund Burke

| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

User avatar
Klaus Devestatorie
Minister
 
Posts: 2526
Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 am

Cormactopia Prime wrote:
King HEM wrote:
I usually hate GIFs, but this is perfect.

Maybe you should consider doing something about the abysmal state of gameplay. Europeia actually just contributed to more stagnation by declaring "victory" and reverting to the years long status quo of focusing inward and having no impact on gameplay. So you're part of the problem.


While I have no love for Europeia, I'm quite certain that they're far less part of the ongoing death of gameplay than all of the colossal out-of-context crusades that you and your friends launch.
The Avengrynkhal Ascendant of Klaus Devestatorie

User avatar
New Rogernomics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 am

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:
Cormactopia Prime wrote:Maybe you should consider doing something about the abysmal state of gameplay. Europeia actually just contributed to more stagnation by declaring "victory" and reverting to the years long status quo of focusing inward and having no impact on gameplay. So you're part of the problem.


While I have no love for Europeia, I'm quite certain that they're far less part of the ongoing death of gameplay than all of the colossal out-of-context crusades that you and your friends launch.

To be fair, Gameplay really died down by around 2009-2010, when NS lost quite a few flavorful regions and controversial regions that riled people's feathers. NS really only has the NPO and RP Nazis right now, when it used to have Gatesville, The Last Kingdom, Kodiak,The Ascendancy/Dominion, and the raider faction/region that must not be named, among others.

It really used to be fun on gameplay, when Europeia actually considered players such as myself as an ideological threat, 10k islands was more aggrieved, and people actually had some reason beyond common threat to not like other regions.

If I wasn't a GCR fossil who is meant to be against coups and riling up the masses these days, I'd say someone needs to start up a new UCR that most in gameplay can ideologically hate, or coup a GCR to create another menace, to at least give someone a more interesting gameplay experience.

PS: If someone coups a GCR...try somewhere other than Lazarus. It isn't fun, just stupidly annoying to have to start a new forum community from scratch every few years.
*off-site admin woes*

Holds silly opinions on some things, and likes animals of all kinds, including the scary ones.
Pro: Individualism, Humanism, Human Rights, Internationalism & Free Markets, Democracy, Decentralization, and Treaty of Sèvres.
Against: Social Conservatism, Religious Extremism, Extreme Nationalism, Racism, Homo/Trans phobia, Authoritarianism.

User avatar
The Gilded Star
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Gilded Star » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 am

New Rogernomics wrote:If I wasn't a GCR fossil who is meant to be against coups and riling up the masses these days, I'd say someone needs to start up a new UCR that most in gameplay can ideologically hate, or coup a GCR to create another menace, to at least give someone a more interesting gameplay experience.


I feel like part of the problem is that game meta gets developed and optimized to the point to where things stalemate. Take the NPO vs. APC dispute. APC wants to take action but it's nigh impossible to successfully invade a secured major region, much less a secured GCR. And though I'd be surprised if the NPO didn't deny it a thousand times over, I'm betting all-in that the only reason they're attempting the "we don't care" road instead of threatening action against their enemies is because they know they can't make good on it either and don't want to admit they're just as helpless.

The result is all talk and no action, barring the possible closing of an embassy with the most furious pounding of the confirmation button.

User avatar
Pierconium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1200
Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:57 am

The Gilded Star wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:If I wasn't a GCR fossil who is meant to be against coups and riling up the masses these days, I'd say someone needs to start up a new UCR that most in gameplay can ideologically hate, or coup a GCR to create another menace, to at least give someone a more interesting gameplay experience.


I feel like part of the problem is that game meta gets developed and optimized to the point to where things stalemate. Take the NPO vs. APC dispute. APC wants to take action but it's nigh impossible to successfully invade a secured major region, much less a secured GCR. And though I'd be surprised if the NPO didn't deny it a thousand times over, I'm betting all-in that the only reason they're attempting the "we don't care" road instead of threatening action against their enemies is because they know they can't make good on it either and don't want to admit they're just as helpless.

The result is all talk and no action, barring the possible closing of an embassy with the most furious pounding of the confirmation button.

While I don’t want to discount your argument completely, because I agree that the limitations of game mechanics make certain scenarios impossible, the reason there is a ‘war’ to begin with is because the NPO has demonstrated (rightly or wrongly) that it is in fact capable of dealing harm onto other communities. The paper tiger argument only works so far. We aren’t, and have never been, helpless. We have decided that the cons outweight the pros in regards to certain types of conduct and have adjusted accordingly.
Consul of the Pacific

Tyrant (Ret.)


Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

User avatar
King HEM
Envoy
 
Posts: 267
Founded: Mar 07, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby King HEM » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 am

Cormactopia Prime wrote:
King HEM wrote:
I usually hate GIFs, but this is perfect.

Maybe you should consider doing something about the abysmal state of gameplay. Europeia actually just contributed to more stagnation by declaring "victory" and reverting to the years long status quo of focusing inward and having no impact on gameplay. So you're part of the problem.


How many different arguments are you going to rotate through trying to find a line of attack against us that sticks? :p

I'll take the bait though: I don't think there's anything gameplay stimulating about maintaining an empty husk of a war with few attainable objectives. The only thing you might say is that it shifted in-game coalitions around a bit (Cormac and Europeia being on the same side for a hot second) but the coalitions were...NPO and nearly everyone else lol. It wasn't a real conflict as much as a social mob, and so I'm not sure there was long-term sticking value.
HEM

Founder of Europeia
Former Vice Delegate of The South Pacific
Raider sympathizer, NS media guru, not relevant since 2009

User avatar
New Rogernomics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am

The Gilded Star wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:If I wasn't a GCR fossil who is meant to be against coups and riling up the masses these days, I'd say someone needs to start up a new UCR that most in gameplay can ideologically hate, or coup a GCR to create another menace, to at least give someone a more interesting gameplay experience.


I feel like part of the problem is that game meta gets developed and optimized to the point to where things stalemate. Take the NPO vs. APC dispute. APC wants to take action but it's nigh impossible to successfully invade a secured major region, much less a secured GCR. And though I'd be surprised if the NPO didn't deny it a thousand times over, I'm betting all-in that the only reason they're attempting the "we don't care" road instead of threatening action against their enemies is because they know they can't make good on it either and don't want to admit they're just as helpless.

The result is all talk and no action, barring the possible closing of an embassy with the most furious pounding of the confirmation button.
I think you first have to determine your goal, then follow it. I have probably said it numerous times as a private citizen, but I am not interested in a 'propaganda war' with the New Pacific Order, as that sort of defeats the purpose of wanting to end the New Pacific Order as an institution by merit of honest argument, and for The Pacific to fix it's problems internally. By all means, we can list grievances with how the NPO has operated, but that in itself only provides half the answer of why the New Pacific Order seems unlikely to be able to reform.

What Lazarus seems interested in doing, is making clear that we don't find what the New Pacific Order did was acceptable, and that at least for Lazarus, we've found it impossible or too compromising to have a diplomatic relations with the New Pacific Order. Diplomatic initiatives over the years never bore fruit - and quite the opposite in fact, given that members of the New Pacific Order took advantage when Lazarus was at it's weakest, even though technically by that point Lazarus had full diplomatic relations with the Order.

We've heard a lot of talk about how defeating the NPO has to be some great battlefield victory, which I think is way too narrow-focused and short sighted, as you don't defeat the New Pacific Order that way. To put it another way, let's say hypothetically many regions band together and overthrow the NPO, in itself that is only a change of those in charge, and it doesn't change the underlying culture within The Pacific that allowed the NPO to do what it did or become what it did. You'd just forestall the rise of a new 'New Pacific Order', if your goal is only partial reform or just deposing the current leaders that be.

If Europeia believes it's goals are achieved, then by all means they are welcome to end their own war with New Pacific Order, but the war between Lazarus and The New Pacific Order continues. As for the duration, we don't lose anything by keeping at war, as friendly relations aren't an option, nor do we allow the war to be the sole focus of what we do, as of course improving Lazarus is our focus.

That said, the New Pacific Order doesn't have the respect it once had, and it wasn't us who did that either, but rather leaks and flaws from within their own structure. If you want change, you can't just pop up on their doorstep and say 'I want to reform the NPO, let me in', nor can you engage them diplomatically (as they are stuck in their ways), nor can you just depose the NPO and expect spontaneous change, nor perpetually occupy them. Even if the game mechanics were changed, it wouldn't really alter the dynamic that change has to come from within The Pacific.

Holds silly opinions on some things, and likes animals of all kinds, including the scary ones.
Pro: Individualism, Humanism, Human Rights, Internationalism & Free Markets, Democracy, Decentralization, and Treaty of Sèvres.
Against: Social Conservatism, Religious Extremism, Extreme Nationalism, Racism, Homo/Trans phobia, Authoritarianism.

User avatar
Pierconium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1200
Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

New Rogernomics wrote:snip

This is basically a wall of text that states 'we can't remove the NPO and they won't change so we will just continue to watch them and not talk to them'. Right?

To address it, and to highlight some of the reasons Europeia decided that they had achieved their version of victory, I will point you back to this list of very specific things the NPO has done in response to the current turmoil, any one of which most reasonable people could consider part of a 'victory': viewtopic.php?p=35354146#p35354146

If you can't be bothered to read the link, here is the list again (with item 8 elaborated upon and 9 added):

1. The Emperor of the NPO resigned.
2. The Consul of the NPO resigned and agreed to permanent exile from the NPO in NS.
3. Two Senators were removed from the NPO Senate.
4. Apologies were issued directly to the affected regions from the new Emperor.
5. The unfortunate declaration of war on TBH was rescinded.
6. The Emperor explicitly outlawed any and all acts of espionage and infiltration by the NPO.
7. A new Charter was written allowing for the citizens to have a larger voice in the laws of the Pacific.
8. The Emperor and Senate created guidelines for a new elected member of the Senate, who is in the process of being elected at present.
9. Francoism has been completely removed from all government documentation and is no longer discussed as a guiding principle of the Pacific.

Now, what you fail to mention in your commentary is that the Emperor went to Osiris and acquiesced to their demands almost immediately after these issues came to light. He negotiated in good faith and after their demands were met they moved the goalposts and declared war anyway. That is, of course, their right, but it just illustrates the wider problem with people in the opposition. There isn't any point in talking to them at this point because they can't ever be satisfied and are hypocritical in their approach to diplomacy.

I have personally found the Delegate nations of both Lazarus and Osiris personable and reasonable, but the concept of being a 'True Believer' in the war effort will continue to limit the possibilities of reconciliation so long as shortsightedness dominates the playing field.
Last edited by Pierconium on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Consul of the Pacific

Tyrant (Ret.)


Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

User avatar
New Rogernomics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am

Pierconium wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:snip

This is basically a wall of text that states 'we can't remove the NPO and they won't change so we will just continue to watch them and not talk to them'. Right?
Not at all. I argue that the physical war effort is only one part of a general campaign to end the institutional structure of the NPO, and that The Pacific will have to change from within, regardless of the war outcome.

Pierconium wrote:To address it, and to highlight some of the reasons Europeia decided that they had achieved their version of victory, I will point you back to this list of very specific things the NPO has done in response to the current turmoil, any one of which most reasonable people could consider part of a 'victory': viewtopic.php?p=35354146#p35354146
If you'd have bothered to read my 'wall of text', you'd know I can't respond in regards to what another region's war objectives are, especially given that I am not a citizen there, and my 'wall of text' related to Lazarus mostly anyway.

If you can't be bothered to read the link, here is the list again (with item 8 elaborated upon and 9 added):

1. The Emperor of the NPO resigned.
2. The Consul of the NPO resigned and agreed to permanent exile from the NPO in NS.
3. Two Senators were removed from the NPO Senate.
4. Apologies were issued directly to the affected regions from the new Emperor.
5. The unfortunate declaration of war on TBH was rescinded.
6. The Emperor explicitly outlawed any and all acts of espionage and infiltration by the NPO.
7. A new Charter was written allowing for the citizens to have a larger voice in the laws of the Pacific.
8. The Emperor and Senate created guidelines for a new elected member of the Senate, who is in the process of being elected at present.
9. Francoism has been completely removed from all government documentation and is no longer discussed as a guiding principle of the Pacific.
All of which were rejected as 'half-hearted' by a public conscience vote of the Lazarus region. We've had this whole discussion, and Lazarus never really believed the alleged concessions as sincere or effective enough. That may have satisfied other regions, but certainly not Lazarus. Though I clearly remember discussion on (6) being unenforceable, due to the inability to monitor the NPO forum and nations for compliance, and the ability of the NPO to effectively deny involvement regardless.

Now, what you fail to mention in your commentary is that the Emperor went to Osiris and acquiesced to their demands almost immediately after these issues came to light.
As mentioned in my point above with Europeia, you'd know I can't respond in regards to what another region's war objectives are, as I am not a citizen of Osiris. Though Osiris is also at war with you, so I'd figure those 'demands being met' weren't enough to satisfy Osiris.

He negotiated in good faith and after their demands were met they moved the goalposts and declared war anyway. That is, of course, their right, but it just illustrates the wider problem with people in the opposition. There isn't any point in talking to them at this point because they can't ever be satisfied and are hypocritical in their approach to diplomacy.

I have personally found the Delegate nations of both Lazarus and Osiris personable and reasonable, but the concept of being a 'True Believer' in the war effort will continue to limit the possibilities of reconciliation so long as shortsightedness dominates the playing field.
You are confusing executive power with legislative power, at least in regards to us. Quite to the contrary of the final position, in the Executive and Cabinet we took a neutral position to the extent that most of us abstained, and left it to the region to decide whether we should go to war, and the extent of the measures that should be taken. Once the region had decided, we supported the decision of the region, and continue to do so.

Unless Lazarus spontaneously decides to believe the NPO, which I'd doubt any time soon, reconciliation is rather inconceivable. To start any diplomatic relationship requires some trust, and such trust is non-existent. The last rebuilding of trust gradually occurred after the end of the NLO events, though that only was possible due to a willingness to engage diplomatically with the NPO, in the hopes of ending future hostility between the NPO and Lazarus. Such willingness doesn't exist any more, at least in any recognizable form, and such willingness by the NPO (where it does exist) is generally viewed with suspicion as having a hidden agenda - effectively that mending ties with Lazarus would be only to repair the public image of the NPO, and then revert to it's old ways.

Generally a lot of people in Lazarus regret those attempts at rebuilding trust and re-opening relations, given that when we were most vulnerable, members of the NPO, state-sanctioned or not, took advantage. There was no diplomatic discussion, and certainly the New Pacific Order never made concerns known about the Celestial Union administration, even though Lazarus and New Pacific Order were by no means meant to be hostile at that time - or so the Celestial Union was to believe.

While we may not be a successor state, the distrust runs deep, from all corners of the region, from the former Celestial Union loyalists through to the supporters of the Dominion and later administrations.If anything, Lazarus is fairly cautious in the war, and instituted a proscription to prohibit NPO involvement in our political institutions, and although we can't stop infiltration entirely, if it were to occur, we've made it pretty clear that we don't want to have any relationship with the New Pacific Order in the future - and that we've legislated to keep it that way.

Holds silly opinions on some things, and likes animals of all kinds, including the scary ones.
Pro: Individualism, Humanism, Human Rights, Internationalism & Free Markets, Democracy, Decentralization, and Treaty of Sèvres.
Against: Social Conservatism, Religious Extremism, Extreme Nationalism, Racism, Homo/Trans phobia, Authoritarianism.

User avatar
Pierconium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1200
Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am

So it isn’t that the NPO is incapable of change, it is that Lazarus is incapable of change, then? You state that Lazarus is entrenched in its positions and that they will not alter, undoubtedly because those in power perpetuate such positions. We all know how NS politics works.

Oh well.

I guess we will just continue to sit around and worry about how Lazarus is ‘watching’ us. Good luck with all that. How much coordination does a watching campaign take anyway?
Last edited by Pierconium on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Consul of the Pacific

Tyrant (Ret.)


Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

User avatar
The Gilded Star
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Gilded Star » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Pierconium wrote:While I don’t want to discount your argument completely, because I agree that the limitations of game mechanics make certain scenarios impossible, the reason there is a ‘war’ to begin with is because the NPO has demonstrated (rightly or wrongly) that it is in fact capable of dealing harm onto other communities. The paper tiger argument only works so far. We aren’t, and have never been, helpless. We have decided that the cons outweight the pros in regards to certain types of conduct and have adjusted accordingly.


Fair enough. I was going to mention that subversive actions were about the only way to still harm major regions, but I ended up omitting that from my post. That being said, the major reason for the community condemnation of the NPO is for those tactics, and the result is that such tactics are widely frowned upon by essentially everyone, now including the NPO. With that tactic being taken off the table, there's really not very much left in the way of alternatives. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it does highlight the limitations of these situations.

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3482
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:49 pm

The Gilded Star wrote:With that tactic being taken off the table, there's really not very much left in the way of alternatives. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it does highlight the limitations of these situations.

Off the table for TP certainly, no one is quite sure about the APC. But they're the "good" guys so it'll be ok when they do it :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama

User avatar
The Gilded Star
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Gilded Star » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:Off the table for TP certainly, no one is quite sure about the APC. But they're the "good" guys so it'll be ok when they do it :P


Given that the APC movement has largely been a condemnation of subversive tactics as bad sportsmanship, and justified the war against the NPO by inciting outrage of the NPO using those tactics, the APC then subsequently using those same tactics against the NPO would induce eyebrow raising of the highest caliber.

For the foreseeable future, I would expect subversiveness to be a hot potato that no one wants to touch again.

User avatar
Drop Your Pants
Minister
 
Posts: 3482
Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Drop Your Pants » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

The Gilded Star wrote:Given that the APC movement has largely been a condemnation of subversive tactics as bad sportsmanship, and justified the war against the NPO by inciting outrage of the NPO using those tactics, the APC then subsequently using those same tactics against the NPO would induce eyebrow raising of the highest caliber.

For the foreseeable future, I would expect subversiveness to be a hot potato that no one wants to touch again.

When they get caught trying it I'll come back here for my eyebrow raising show :D
Happily oblivious to NS Drama

User avatar
Escade
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1006
Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Escade » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm

This is NationStates and in this particular battle, there are no "good" guys.

What's killed GP is a number of things and one of them, most definitively, is believing the only way to get rid of an IC enemy is the OOC route. Most of us turn a blind eye when one of our own does something "wrong" while crucifying our opponents for a papercut. No one is willing to have clear visible standards that are universally applicable (no matter how popular or unpopular the players are) and a system where those who have made a mistake that isn't egregious can come back. Or even to say, "this is bad if anyone does it including my bff and my left nut."

Here's the thing, NSGP used to be like high school with cliques, salt, drama and players chose to indulge in that. Or if the high school metaphor doesn't work for you - it used to be like real politics with the cliques, salt, drama, and clapbacks. Now it's being overrun by the special snowflakes who use OOC to achieve IC gains and its killed the game. Call someone "lame" and they bring in OOC issues that have no place in the game as a response, call someone "petty" and they threaten to quit the game unless the player is banned. The players defending some of these players are the same players who are okay with some really OOC bad behavior (like sexual harassment).

We can't have an IC discussion\battle\argument on Discord without some random tool trying to bring in OOC issues. NSGP has been spayed and neutered. Can players with authority and respect in the game actually get together in an OOC meeting, put aside their petty IC\cross OOC mayhem, and make a list of concrete and specific behaviors and actions and consequences that are publicly visible to all? And then follow through on them?

It's 2019 and while I still believe in miracles, I'm not holding out for this one.
Last edited by Escade on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Galiantus III
Diplomat
 
Posts: 607
Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Galiantus III » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Pierconium wrote:So it isn’t that the NPO is incapable of change, it is that Lazarus is incapable of change, then? You state that Lazarus is entrenched in its positions and that they will not alter, undoubtedly because those in power perpetuate such positions. We all know how NS politics works.


Lazarus has had to endure near constant change its whole existence (in large part due to the meddlings of the NPO) and thus its residents are adaptable and very capable of change. That we refuse to change on this issue is an active expression of our newfound independence from NPO influence, not a disability, and not a result of those in power. Meanwhile, it seems that the NPO feels significant pain making even the slightest change that is so routine to other regions.

I would also add that our delegate, vice delegate, and foreign affairs minister all deferred to the voices of the residents of the region to determine our relations with the NPO. Your assumptions about "those in power" in Lazarus are either misguided or ignorant.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Sun, January 21, 2018, at 9:05 pm, objected 16,999 times in total.



The NPO is basically North Korea, if North Korea colonized Mars and the Kims were inbred with Martians.

Frisbeeteria wrote:
For some reason I have a mental image of a dolphin, trying to organize a new pod of his fellow dolphins to change the course of a nuclear sub. It's entertaining, I'll give ya that.
Ballotonia wrote:
Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

User avatar
Armaros
Diplomat
 
Posts: 587
Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 pm

Escade wrote:This is NationStates and in this particular battle, there are no "good" guys.

What's killed GP is a number of things and one of them, most definitively, is believing the only way to get rid of an IC enemy is the OOC route. Most of us turn a blind eye when on of our own does something "wrong" while crucifying our opponents for a papercut. No one is willing to have clear visible standards that are universally applicable (no matter how popular or unpopular the players are) and a system where those who have made a mistake that isn't egregious can come back. Or even to say, "this is bad if anyone does it including my bff and my left nut."

Here's the thing, NSGP used to be like high school with cliques, salt, drama and players chose to indulge in that. Or if the high school metaphor doesn't work for you - it used to be like real politics with the cliques, salt, drama, and clapbacks. Now it's being overrun by the special snowflakes who use OOC to achieve IC gains and its killed the game. Call someone "lame" and they bring in OOC issues that have no place in the game as a response, call someone "petty" and they threaten to quit the game unless the player is banned. The players defending some of these players are the same players who are okay with some really OOC bad behavior.

We can't have an IC discussion\battle\argument on Discord without some random tool trying to bring in OOC issues. NSGP has been spayed and neutered. Can players with authority and respect in the game actually get together in an OOC meeting, put aside their petty IC\cross OOC mayhem, and make a list of concrete and specific behaviors and actions and consequences that are publicly visible to all? And then follow through on them?

It's 2019 and while I still believe in miracles, I'm not holding out for this one.

No offense... but what does this have to do with Europeia, Europeia leaving the APC, the APC-NPO war or anything else? I haven't seen OOC shitslinging here (tho I admit I didn't pay too much attention).
An average Jo.
joWhatup#7411 on discord, if you ever need to contact me.
Corporal in The Black Hawks
Citizen in Lazarus
Wolf in Lone Wolves United
Citizen in The East Pacific

My opinions are solely mine. I do not speak for regions I'm involved with in any way.

User avatar
Wymondham
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wymondham » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:18 am

Escade wrote:Snip

Hear Hear
Last edited by Wymondham on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My views are my own and do not represent those of NSToday or any region I am involved in unless it is specifically stated otherwise

User avatar
Pierconium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1200
Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 am

Galiantus III wrote:
Pierconium wrote:So it isn’t that the NPO is incapable of change, it is that Lazarus is incapable of change, then? You state that Lazarus is entrenched in its positions and that they will not alter, undoubtedly because those in power perpetuate such positions. We all know how NS politics works.


Lazarus has had to endure near constant change its whole existence (in large part due to the meddlings of the NPO) and thus its residents are adaptable and very capable of change. That we refuse to change on this issue is an active expression of our newfound independence from NPO influence, not a disability, and not a result of those in power. Meanwhile, it seems that the NPO feels significant pain making even the slightest change that is so routine to other regions.

I would also add that our delegate, vice delegate, and foreign affairs minister all deferred to the voices of the residents of the region to determine our relations with the NPO. Your assumptions about "those in power" in Lazarus are either misguided or ignorant.

Deferring in a vote and maintaining neutrality in discussion elsewhere aren’t the same thing, but good try. I’m not stating that they should be neutral, but I’m also not naive enough to think that those in power don’t influence the populace. Maybe you are, you have proven yourself to be so numerous times in the past so I will take that as a given. But not me.

As to the rest, it is a bit disingenuous for anyone to claim that the list I provided is ‘routine’ for other regions and slight changes. In the span of three months significant changes to all levels of NPO society have taken place with tangible changes. That isn’t something that is common in most regions, even those that undergo forced change. So no, you are incorrect. That deliberate refusal to acknowledge the change is part of the problem. But, Lazarus has the right to be obtuse.
Consul of the Pacific

Tyrant (Ret.)


Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

User avatar
Pierconium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1200
Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 am

Armaros wrote:
Escade wrote:This is NationStates and in this particular battle, there are no "good" guys.

What's killed GP is a number of things and one of them, most definitively, is believing the only way to get rid of an IC enemy is the OOC route. Most of us turn a blind eye when on of our own does something "wrong" while crucifying our opponents for a papercut. No one is willing to have clear visible standards that are universally applicable (no matter how popular or unpopular the players are) and a system where those who have made a mistake that isn't egregious can come back. Or even to say, "this is bad if anyone does it including my bff and my left nut."

Here's the thing, NSGP used to be like high school with cliques, salt, drama and players chose to indulge in that. Or if the high school metaphor doesn't work for you - it used to be like real politics with the cliques, salt, drama, and clapbacks. Now it's being overrun by the special snowflakes who use OOC to achieve IC gains and its killed the game. Call someone "lame" and they bring in OOC issues that have no place in the game as a response, call someone "petty" and they threaten to quit the game unless the player is banned. The players defending some of these players are the same players who are okay with some really OOC bad behavior.

We can't have an IC discussion\battle\argument on Discord without some random tool trying to bring in OOC issues. NSGP has been spayed and neutered. Can players with authority and respect in the game actually get together in an OOC meeting, put aside their petty IC\cross OOC mayhem, and make a list of concrete and specific behaviors and actions and consequences that are publicly visible to all? And then follow through on them?

It's 2019 and while I still believe in miracles, I'm not holding out for this one.

No offense... but what does this have to do with Europeia, Europeia leaving the APC, the APC-NPO war or anything else? I haven't seen OOC shitslinging here (tho I admit I didn't pay too much attention).

I think that certain aspects of the war are definitively motivated by OOC issues. I personally think Europeia separated themselves from that component and sought out tangible war objectives, which have been met (unfortunate Godwin issues aside). The decision by some others to push for a perpetual state of war that has no realistic hope of success in order to try and destroy a community certainly has a bit of a taint to it, at least for me personally. Others have tried to smear players by claiming IC actions mean OOC intentional offences. I think this is part of what Escade refers to and it is relevant to the discussion of Europeia leaving the more toxic elements of the APC behind. Just my opinion on it.
Consul of the Pacific

Tyrant (Ret.)


Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

User avatar
Galiantus III
Diplomat
 
Posts: 607
Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Galiantus III » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 am

Pierconium wrote:
Galiantus III wrote:
Lazarus has had to endure near constant change its whole existence (in large part due to the meddlings of the NPO) and thus its residents are adaptable and very capable of change. That we refuse to change on this issue is an active expression of our newfound independence from NPO influence, not a disability, and not a result of those in power. Meanwhile, it seems that the NPO feels significant pain making even the slightest change that is so routine to other regions.

I would also add that our delegate, vice delegate, and foreign affairs minister all deferred to the voices of the residents of the region to determine our relations with the NPO. Your assumptions about "those in power" in Lazarus are either misguided or ignorant.

Deferring in a vote and maintaining neutrality in discussion elsewhere aren’t the same thing, but good try. I’m not stating that they should be neutral, but I’m also not naive enough to think that those in power don’t influence the populace. Maybe you are, you have proven yourself to be so numerous times in the past so I will take that as a given. But not me.

As to the rest, it is a bit disingenuous for anyone to claim that the list I provided is ‘routine’ for other regions and slight changes. In the span of three months significant changes to all levels of NPO society have taken place with tangible changes. That isn’t something that is common in most regions, even those that undergo forced change. So no, you are incorrect. That deliberate refusal to acknowledge the change is part of the problem. But, Lazarus has the right to be obtuse.


Actually, you weren't there for the extensive debates we had, and in fact the delegate and vice delegate leaned to the side of "let's not declare war, and try and be understanding ". However, so many citizens (myself included) were outraged at revelations of NPO involvement that the discussion went all the way to war and stayed there.

1. Other regions change WA delegates all the time, and for less.
2-3. Same for other government positions.
4. Apologies aren't a significant change - they're just words.
5. I can't dispute that your withdrawal of declaration of war on TBH is significant.
6. For now that's all words. It will take a few years before I trust that any actual change has taken place.
7-8. I'm glad you guys are working on internal problems and giving voice to your populace. Although I support having a legislature for citizens to have ownership of the region, I am against democratically elected WA delegates because I understand the strong imperative for security. That said, the NPO is new to the party on this concept, and again this is a routine change for many regions.
9. Glad to hear Francoism is out. If the NPO can make good and keep this change permanent, that is a significant change. It takes a lot to make a change to a core element of your culture.

So most of the NPO's changes are essentially routine, although I will grant a couple stated changes are significant enough to warrant if they stand the test of time. Unfortunately, the NPO has a reputation of acting in bad faith; sorry if we don't take claims of change seriously, but you guys had your chance numerous times before. We're not obtuse, we're rational and realist.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Sun, January 21, 2018, at 9:05 pm, objected 16,999 times in total.



The NPO is basically North Korea, if North Korea colonized Mars and the Kims were inbred with Martians.

Frisbeeteria wrote:
For some reason I have a mental image of a dolphin, trying to organize a new pod of his fellow dolphins to change the course of a nuclear sub. It's entertaining, I'll give ya that.
Ballotonia wrote:
Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jar Wattinree, Todd McCloud, Tornado Queendom, Twobagger

Advertisement

Remove ads