NATION

PASSWORD

NS World Fair V: We're Live

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

CDland
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby CDland » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 am

I'm CDland, Chancellor of The Allied States, and we would like to request a booth at this year's World Fair.

Thank you!
Chancellor of the Allied States

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Minister of Foreign Affairs from Kaiserreich, we'd like a booth.

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:05 pm

WA Delegate of the International Northwestern Union. We'd like a booth.
Join to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Luxdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxdonia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Chief Administrator of Archmont, we'd like a booth.
The Kingdom of Luxdonia
The Chief Administrator and Executive Councillor of Archmont
Join the Archmont Discord server!

Teruko Goto
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Teruko Goto » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Praetor, Senator, Gromaticus, and appointed Representative of 21st Century Rome. We'd like a booth.
Praetor of 21st Century Rome

Also known as Trever or Marcus Valerius Corvus

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 pm

We have two bids in already! Only one more day to go, then we vote!
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:We have two bids in already! Only one more day to go, then we vote!

And here I though the bidding ended two days ago! If there's more time, I'll put in a bid for the INWU.

Edit: No regional support. I'd rather simply hold a booth as we have already applied for.
Last edited by El Fiji Grande on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Federated Kingdom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm

I'd like to have a booth for the Albyienic Isles, if possible. Primarily a worldbuilding project-region, so something a little different from most applicants, I suppose.
Last edited by Federated Kingdom on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U N I T E DK I N G D O M S
of
???, ???, ???, & ???

?
?
?

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:04 pm

NationStates World Fair 2016 Host Bids

The NationStates World Fair Committee is pleased to announce that we have received two bids to host this years World Fair. We will now open the bids up for voting, with the winner being afforded the opportunity to host this years World Fair. We would like to thank all of the regions who took the time to apply for hosting. The bids are detailed below in the order that the regions applied in.

ImageThe East Pacific
The East Pacific

1. Why does your region want to host the World Fair?

The East Pacific believes that we can bring a new level of interactivity to the Fair. Also, we will bring roleplaying to a new level., in By making the Fair more open, we can attract new regions to set up booths, further increasing the quality of the fair and growing the participation even more with the introduction of more interactive forums and an energized player base.

2. What activities/ideas would you like to bring to the WF?

We will bring many In-Character activities, including:
  • Promotion of interregional peace and diplomacy
  • Attempts to connect the lore of all present nations
  • Meetings between leaders and speech contests
  • Crossover contests with interregional lore and RP’s
As well as Out Of Character Activities, including:
  • Online Games (Cards against Humanity, Town of Salem)
  • Forum Games, such as spam points, 2-word stories, word association, counting to pointlessly large numbers, and the like.

3. What should this years theme for the World Fair be? How would you implement that theme?

The theme of this fair should be unity through diversity. The various regions of this game are so wonderfully assorted, from medieval lands to far-flung galactic empires, from raiders to defenders, from lush forests to barren wastelands. We as a region hope to be an example and driving force of peace and prosperity, and a shining beacon for individuality, democracy, and freedom. By spreading the message of peace and unity, we believe that the world of NationStates will become better and more connected.

4. Any other information we should consider with respect to your region's bid?

The East Pacific is in a unique position with numerous active participants and would be able to curate numerous forum threads and discussions simultaneously. It is also a feeder region, representing a significant portion of the nations of NS.

Thank you for your consideration.

ImageThe Allied States
The Allied States

1. Why does your region want to host the World Fair?

The Allied States is an old region (est. 2010) that’s new to NS politics, and we hope to prove how woefully inept we really are in all facets of NS. This will be our masterwork, put on for the whole world to see. We would be grateful for the opportunity to truly let you see how we prove that not only is evolution real, but that in our region it goes in reverse.

2. What activities/ideas would you like to bring to the WF?

In addition to hosting lectures on pressing NS issues, we will host post assassin and Town of Salem games. There will also be a chess tournament, NS lectures, and a regional “literature” exchange for the nerds. TAS is a region that is 40% gay, 15% spastic, and 45% accidental, cultivating into a region with a culture all its own.

3. What should this year’s theme for the World Fair be? How would you implement that theme?

Our theme would be Space: The Final Frontier! We think it would be a theme many people could get behind and enjoy, and our Vice Chancellor threatened to rage-quit if we didn’t decide to do this one. We hope you will enjoy our activity and RP scenario ideas:
Sci-fi television, film and literature trivia contests
Our Space Themed Wacky Wednesday, our One-Shot RP series
A space related TED-talk recommendations list and discussion thread
Sexcapades. In Space.
Two words: Fight Club
A space related forum theme

4. Any other information we should consider with respect to your region's bid?
1. We’ve been operating an offsite forum that has had 300,000 posts made since 2012. Our forums are active daily. Check out our forums here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Allied_Republics/index/ and our Discord here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Allied_Republ ... s/discord/
2. Our strongest regional assets are our self-confidence and self-loathing.
3. Here’s a link to our finest regional literature: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Allied_Republ ... 52/12/#new
4. Please excuse the mess when you arrive; our latest drug-fueled orgy got a little out of hand.
5. You can ask Europeians like Josh Ravenclaw: we’re awesome.
6. Cactus sitting is a regional pastime, and everyone should feel free to join us at some point.

>>>>>>>>

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Also, a personal note: I was hoping to get this done sooner, but my wife and I have been in and out of ER's between Friday and today. Darn NE Ohio and its ice.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:16 pm

I've checked the votes and thus far things are dead even. This is shaping up to become a very intense vote.

Also, for those who are curious, all committee members will be screencapped the votes and results. This way the entire committee will be able to both confirm and verify a clear winner.

I would like for at least 100 votes in this. If that occurs, expect the vote to finish by the end of Tuesday. In the meantime, best of luck to both regions.

Sotasky
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Sotasky » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Probably too late but the Founder of the region of Merciam would like to request a booth.
Last edited by Sotasky on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankly, they deserve a medal. I'm not sure what for exactly though-Cresenthia
Founder of Failure
Baron of Bollywirls
Senator of Sillywillies
Secretary of Sorrow
Lord of Losers
Justice for Jocks
Deputy of O_O
I'm the new guy on the block that complains about everything!!!

-Equalia-
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby -Equalia- » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:09 am

If in any case there was no closing, the Chief Knight/Knight Foreign of Albion here would request to apply for a booth.
Last edited by -Equalia- on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Saxton
Albion

Emberwood Coast
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Emberwood Coast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:34 am

Can't wait for the fair, no matter who hosts! :D
"What is not, can be; What once was, could be again."

Coraline Poole
First lady, Emberwood Coast
Bother Me Here!
Be Nice To People
GIRLS ARE COOL SO I WENT AHEAD AND DATED ONE ⚢
T
RANS
LESBIAN
⚣ ⚢ ⚧
Proud sponsor of the queer agenda since 1999.
⚧ ⚢ ⚣

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 am

Just wanted to say that yes we're still accepting applications for WF booths

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Just wanted to say that yes we're still accepting applications for WF booths

In that case... as Foreign Minister and Representative of Forest, we'd like to request a booth.
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

Emperor Charles zi Britannia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Emperor Charles zi Britannia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm

As her Founder and Emperor, I would like to request a booth on behalf of the Holy Empire of Britannia.
Charles zi Britannia
Emperor of the Holy Empire of Britannia

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello all,

As the guy who's running the vote, I must inform you all that our survey service has done a 180 from last year. I'm on the case and I will keep you informed of the developments as they come out. In the meantime, just sit tight. I am escalating this case to their account controller and the staff list on their Terms of Service.

Hello,

It does not appear that the survey issue we spoke about roughly four hours ago will be resolved today. I have been speaking with a technician and he let me know that the advertisement is some kind of unwarranted lockout that urges me to pay $26 to view the results of one survey. After speaking with him, he informed me the vote has 107 votes. This "feature" is not mentioned in the Terms of Service nor is it shown on the link provided to me via email about the different features for free vs. paid options.

This survey is being run for nonprofit purposes and is 'just for fun' among friends. I cannot afford to pay $26 for what amounts to eight votes, nor do I believe that to be an ethical protocol. We used this service last year (albeit with a different account) and had no reason to assume this issue would surface, especially given the lockout is not mentioned in anything sent to me via the email. Had that been sent, I would have gone elsewhere.

All I want is to know the current vote. Number of votes and current vote for a two-poll option.

If that is not obtainable, I wish to know the votes up to the free period; that is, where the vote was at 99 votes.

I was told by another tech that I did not need to provide any sort of survey ID and that the matter would be resolved.

Thank you for your time.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 pm

In the future, try running the poll here on NS. :p Let WA members from all regions vote.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:In the future, try running the poll here on NS. :p Let WA members from all regions vote.

That's not a bad idea, but the nice thing about this survey was that one could vote in private. Perhaps someone from TEP didn't want to vote for TAS, or maybe the other way around. Or perhaps they just didn't want anyone knowing of their vote at all.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 am

Todd McCloud wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:In the future, try running the poll here on NS. :p Let WA members from all regions vote.

That's not a bad idea, but the nice thing about this survey was that one could vote in private. Perhaps someone from TEP didn't want to vote for TAS, or maybe the other way around. Or perhaps they just didn't want anyone knowing of their vote at all.

Could always have a public vote on NS, but also accept telegram votes if people wished to submit a private ballot? Just require that all nations sending telegram votes remain in the WA on that nation for the duration of the voting period to prevent any sort of cheating.

Emberwood Coast
Lobbyist

Postby Emberwood Coast » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:52 am

Or just do it with Google forms. That's free.

Coraline Poole
Bother Me Here!
Be Nice To People
T
RANS
LESBIAN
⚣ ⚢ ⚧
⚧ ⚢ ⚣

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Emberwood Coast wrote:Or just do it with Google forms. That's free.

But then you can vote multiple times, unless you require people to submit an e-mail.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Emberwood Coast
Lobbyist

Postby Emberwood Coast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:43 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Emberwood Coast wrote:Or just do it with Google forms. That's free.

But then you can vote multiple times, unless you require people to submit an e-mail.

True. There's gotta be some way to do it for free, though.

Coraline Poole
Bother Me Here!
Be Nice To People
T
RANS
LESBIAN
⚣ ⚢ ⚧
⚧ ⚢ ⚣

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:55 am

A special note about the World Fair

Good day, folks. As the committee tries hard to get things in line, we have come to a realization that there's just not enough time to host the fair starting Monday the day after Christmas (26th of December). Some folks are worn out, while others have holiday plans that cannot be avoided. This isn't the first time we've hosted a World Fair outside of December - NSWFII was hosted in mid-January. And that will become our new proposed date: Friday, January 20th.

Both regions that have submitted bids have been notified of this delay in the fair. We thank them for their patience and understanding.

Regions requesting booths may do so up until Monday, January 16th. That will give everyone enough time to set up their booths, get going, and let everyone know just how unique and inspiring their region is. We reserve the right to cancel any booths in the event that a region has vanished prior to the fair (it hasn't happened before, but never know).

Also, the vote has been recovered (thankfully after getting on the phone over lunch yesterday they finally relented and fixed the issue). Prior to this revelation, we offered both bidders the chance to co-host, but on the condition that both agree to it. This was done because the last check prior to being shut out had the two regions very, very close. That offer still stands, but now that the vote is countable it is totally understandable if that's not a desirable choice. We've been silent as to who is winning, and will let the vote continue until Monday, December 26th.

Thank you for your patience, and we remain committed to delivering a spectacular fair.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay