NATION

PASSWORD

Northumbria: New & Ancient

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Northumbria
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Anarchy

Northumbria: New & Ancient

Postby Northumbria » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:37 am

NORTHUMBRIA

Welcome to Northumbria | Wilcume on Norþhymbra

Quick Links: Northumbria

Northumbria is a new region based on an ancient culture: that of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria. The purpose of the region is to bring something new and different to NationStates, and to breathe life into an ancient and understated place and time. In doing so, perhaps we'll make our mark on the wider NS world and become the kind of region players want to join!

This thread is for recruitment and discussion of the region, its culture and politics, and its future development.
᛭ ᚹᚻᚫᛏ ᚷᚩᛞ ᚹᛁᛚᛚᛖ ᚹᛇᚱᚦᚫᚾ ᛭

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Basic Law Talk

Postby Northumbria » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:52 am

Northumbrians,

It's been a couple of weeks now since our founding, perhaps it's time to more formally organise the region? All ideas and suggestions will be welcome.

I think we ought to set out a 'Basic Law' that will further define the region and how it will work. It will be a barebones constitution until and unless something more substantial is needed. No entangling and cumbersome legalese; just a straightforward framework the region can work with. It would outline who is a citizen, what their role and rights are, as well as provisions for more formal government if and when it is needed.

What say you, Northumbrians?

Lone Moose
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lone Moose » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:03 am

Can we attempt to write our laws/constitution in an Old English format? Might be too hard so we would never get done, but it would be fun.
I don't know if we could r/p finding an olden days constitution for the region from ancient times, and overlay it with our 'hindsight' perspectives and language.

Yes to basic law defining us and what we hope to be, along with a bare bones constitution. I am thoroughly of the opinion that the constitution should grow (to a certain point, we don't want cumbersome ever) with the region.

Perhaps our 1st law should be beholden to the original ideals set at the round table. We will have our founder, but our founder will be equal to the people at the table. Our people act in consensus, the disabled and the fittest of minds and bodies will be heard on equal footing with the average, as long as there is no harm done.

Gradea III
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gradea III » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:31 am

This isn't your regional forum. This should be carried out on your RMB.
Gradea Sanguine
Vizier of Community Affairs, Osiris
Minister of Culture & MP, Balder

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:51 am

(S)He's allowed a recruitment thread. The internal debates do need to move, though.

What's special about the region? What is your focus? Why should anyone move there?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Gradea III wrote:This isn't your regional forum. This should be carried out on your RMB.

As far as I was aware, I'd stuck to the Guide to the Gameplay Forum. Specifically, this thread advertises our region, is for news and announcements and the discussion of regional politics. It's not strictly for Northumbria members (though I admit I should be clearer on this) and I don't intend it to be. As mentioned in the Guide, that's for an off-site forum. Anyone with advice or experience in how to develop a region from scratch and how to shape Northumbria's gameplay direction is more than welcome to pitch in. My opening discussions on a 'basic law' isn't for specific legislation, but rather a general direction.

Alas, I'm probably mistaken. Apologies if so.

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:What's special about the region?

It's character, or rather intended character. Likewise, I intend it to be governed in a way rarely seen within gameplay (indeed, I've seen it done successfully once). Alas, I suspect that discussing specifics may be drifting into those internal discussions again.
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:What is your focus?

Fun, in all honesty. This is a game and games are meant to be played. Whether the citizens want to be serious or casual is up to them. Above all, however, I don't want to play in a way that, I believe, is detrimental to the enjoyment of others (specifically R/D). As for the theme: an Anglo-Saxon-themed region is a niche, granted, but its more to distinguish than define. It wouldn't be exclusive or elitist. Rather, everyone around the fire has warmth and light.
Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Why should anyone move there?

Well, puppets are free and plentiful. More seriously, maybe at some point I may develop incentives for players to place their main and/or WA nations in there (although I don't think the WA is necessarily relevant to regional gameplay anymore). That aside, there is the aforementioned rare system of governance. The founder would be a "first among equals" rather than an absolute autocrat or pretended figurehead. Perhaps you could vouch for the latter, having dealt with me elsewhere. I don't run regions to ruin nor force my will. Consensus and cooperation builds communities. Northumbria would truly be a region run by its citizens in an open, honest and direct way. We'd just be doing it wearing Anglo-Saxon era outfits...

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:12 pm

How do you perceive 'Anglo-Saxon' culture in a NationStates context?
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

Black Mekhet
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Mekhet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Pierconium wrote:How do you perceive 'Anglo-Saxon' culture in a NationStates context?

Vikings prob
Mekhet of The Black Hawks.

I only represent Mek.

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:37 am

Pierconium wrote:How do you perceive 'Anglo-Saxon' culture in a NationStates context?

By, where practical, emulating their society in structure, governance and practices.

For example, in Anglo-Saxon England, the King did not rule absolutely as many imagine (and as many – too many – in NS do). A King had to govern by consent and consultation with the witenagemot. I intend the same thing as founder of Northumbria. The King wasn't an absolute autocrat but rather 'first among equals'; that is what I will be as founder. There'll be no tyranny or dictatorship or pretended democracies. Only a region that is wholly involved in the decision making process; just as every Anglo-Saxon citizen was.

Then there's the rich tapestry of Anglo-Saxon folklore and artistic culture. We'd celebrate that. Perhaps with inter-regional festivals every so often (and embassy exchanges dependent). The Anglo-Saxons were known for their merrymaking; we'd make sure that continued!

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:40 am

Black Mekhet wrote:Vikings prob

They were similar, sharing origins and all, but not the same. Whilst the Vikings were famed seafarers, they only were so because they weren't much good at farming. The Anglo-Saxons were brilliant farmers but also excellent scholars and both cultures shared a passion for epic eddas and sagas; the latter being just one aspect I want to bring to life here. The artists, the scholars, the thinkers and the feelers – the types of people who often have to make way for the bullish R/D muscle in this game – will find a warm welcome, a hearty home and – more importantly – a place in the process in Northumbria.
Last edited by Northumbria on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:21 am

Northumbria wrote:

By, where practical, emulating their society in structure, governance and practices.

For example, in Anglo-Saxon England, the King did not rule absolutely as many imagine (and as many – too many – in NS do). A King had to govern by consent and consultation with the witenagemot. I intend the same thing as founder of Northumbria. The King wasn't an absolute autocrat but rather 'first among equals'; that is what I will be as founder. There'll be no tyranny or dictatorship or pretended democracies. Only a region that is wholly involved in the decision making process; just as every Anglo-Saxon citizen was.

Then there's the rich tapestry of Anglo-Saxon folklore and artistic culture. We'd celebrate that. Perhaps with inter-regional festivals every so often (and embassy exchanges dependent). The Anglo-Saxons were known for their merrymaking; we'd make sure that continued!

Can you give me the sources of your information on this? Thanks.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:22 am

Northumbria wrote:
Black Mekhet wrote:Vikings prob

They were similar, sharing origins and all, but not the same. Whilst the Vikings were famed seafarers, they only were so because they weren't much good at farming. The Anglo-Saxons were brilliant farmers but also excellent scholars and both cultures shared a passion for epic eddas and sagas; the latter being just one aspect I want to bring to life here. The artists, the scholars, the thinkers and the feelers – the types of people who often have to make way for the bullish R/D muscle in this game – will find a warm welcome, a hearty home and – more importantly – a place in the process in Northumbria.

Are you stating here that the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons shared origins with Scandinavian raiders? Just curious.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Black Mekhet
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Mekhet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:44 am

Pierconium wrote:
Northumbria wrote:They were similar, sharing origins and all, but not the same. Whilst the Vikings were famed seafarers, they only were so because they weren't much good at farming. The Anglo-Saxons were brilliant farmers but also excellent scholars and both cultures shared a passion for epic eddas and sagas; the latter being just one aspect I want to bring to life here. The artists, the scholars, the thinkers and the feelers – the types of people who often have to make way for the bullish R/D muscle in this game – will find a warm welcome, a hearty home and – more importantly – a place in the process in Northumbria.

Are you stating here that the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons shared origins with Scandinavian raiders? Just curious.

Well they weren't far from the Danes. :P
Mekhet of The Black Hawks.

I only represent Mek.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Northumbria wrote:

I thought it was called the Witan..
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:51 am

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Northumbria wrote:By, where practical, emulating their society in structure, governance and practices.

I thought it was called the Witan..

Technically, the Witan were the members. The 'Witena gemot' being the 'meeting of the Witen' (it directly translates to "wise-persons' meet[ing]").

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:13 am

Northumbria wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:I thought it was called the Witan..

Technically, the Witan were the members. The 'Witena gemot' being the 'meeting of the Witen' (it directly translates to "wise-persons' meet[ing]").

Both are generally acceptable, although Wikipedia does not include that.

Generally, I find the concept interesting but am sceptical of ideas portraying themselves as 'historical' without a firm grounding in the material (still waiting on your sources for the societal structures of the Anglo-Saxons) especially when there are some glaring inaccuracies from a technical point of view.

Perhaps just calling it an historical fiction region where you base it off of Beowulf or something similar? I doubt you are looking to establish a slave holding tiered system of tribal rule where only the topmost level actually gets a say in how the region is run. Or are you?

Portraying the Angolwitena as a sort of democratic society is a misnomer at best.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:29 am

Would recommend you read Max Adam's "The King in the North". Although mainly about Oswald of Northumbria it gives a lot of detail about the kingdom's history.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:05 am

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Would recommend you read Max Adam's "The King in the North". Although mainly about Oswald of Northumbria it gives a lot of detail about the kingdom's history.

I actually read that quite some time ago. Maybe 10 years ago or something. I enjoyed it. May have to buy a copy again.

Pierconium wrote:
Northumbria wrote:Technically, the Witan were the members. The 'Witena gemot' being the 'meeting of the Witen' (it directly translates to "wise-persons' meet[ing]").

Both are generally acceptable, although Wikipedia does not include that.

Trying to work out if that was a subtle dig. My source on that name not being Wikipedia.
Pierconium wrote:Perhaps just calling it an historical fiction region where you base it off ...

That is a better idea.
Last edited by Northumbria on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:37 am

Northumbria wrote:
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Would recommend you read Max Adam's "The King in the North". Although mainly about Oswald of Northumbria it gives a lot of detail about the kingdom's history.

I actually read that quite some time ago. Maybe 10 years ago or something. I enjoyed it. May have to buy a copy again.

Oh, seven years before it was first published? That's a good trick.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 am

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:
Northumbria wrote:I actually read that quite some time ago. Maybe 10 years ago or something. I enjoyed it. May have to buy a copy again.

Oh, seven years before it was first published? That's a good trick.

Except that a quick search gives several older books with similar titles (by Moon, Turtledove, etc), plus other relevant ones such as "Northumberland - England's Farthest North" (1953).
There are also many books about Oswald. Have you never mistaken the title of a book you read ten years ago? That's a good trick.

One might almost think you were just out to cause trouble.
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Have you never mistaken the title of a book you read ten years ago? That's a good trick.

No and no.

Northumbria
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Northumbria » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Oh, seven years before it was first published? That's a good trick.

Except that a quick search gives several older books with similar titles (by Moon, Turtledove, etc), plus other relevant ones such as "Northumberland - England's Farthest North" (1953).
There are also many books about Oswald. Have you never mistaken the title of a book you read ten years ago? That's a good trick.

Given it wasn't out then it must have been a different book, albeit with similar title and content. :lol: (But then, it's a specific sub-genre to cover so more than one will have.)

Well, thanks for the input one and all but Northumbria has an OSF now and I think the derail in this thread is irrecoverable. Nevertheless, feedback is appreciated! Will help me define a direction and character, etc. I do appreciate it.

Methinks it time this thread breathed its last.

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Good luck with your region. Anglo-Saxon history is, for me, one of the most fascinating periods of English history.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay