NATION

PASSWORD

Illegal Script Usage "Predator": Punishments

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Zacherie wrote:Funny enough, the actions of one or two people is enough to get a region deleted. You are your region, and your region messed up. Just be glad you're not getting DEAT and swept.

Is that supposed to be some sort of threat? :eyebrow:

Something that someone might or might not have done months before he joined a region is not a strike against a region. Texasa said that he used Predator, Ovybia suggested that he turn himself in before the discussion was finished, Texasa turned himself in, and Texasa ultimately got his main nation deleted. Now, several people are trying to figure out what actually happened and if/how Texasa could appeal.

I don't see how this mess concerns anyone but Texasa, and it's not "funny" to insinuate that a whole region should be deleted when the region has engaged in no wrongdoing. One member said he did something illegal, another suggested that he file a GHR, the first member filed a GHR, the moderators "asked for clarification," the player "confirmed the details," and the player's main account was deleted.

Honestly, your theory of region deletion is absurd. It's as if the moderators deleted a whole region because one player misconducted himself on the forums. The feeders and sinkers have multiple residents deleted daily, and those regions are not responsible for those players' actions. Right to Life, similarly, isn't responsible for one former DEN member's decision to (falsely) confess to misconduct.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Ah I see. Well I'll kick this around, but the scale of the investigation might make this more trouble than it's worth on our part.

Thank you. I don't think anyone is asking for anything like specific dates and numbers for every single person, but a general breakdown, even by groups, would be nice. It stems from things like, well, we know for a fact 94 never used predator becuase he was on Mac, but he's warned alongside others who did, and in other cases some people who we thought were about the same got drastically different levels - one talked to you and the other didn't? We don't know everything that happened? Prior history? It's just overall been kind of a step down from the usual level of <quote> "see underlined" <warned for flaming, 3 day ban based on prior history> and all that.

...of course there's the argument that that's not so true for gameside punishments, but these were posted on the forums, so... :P

*sighs*

I knew we should have just jumped straight to DOS's and let everyone figure it out on their own... :p
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Zacherie wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Ah I see. Well I'll kick this around, but the scale of the investigation might make this more trouble than it's worth on our part.

I appreciate the response regardless of the result.

I also would be interested in this idea. It would hopefully cut down on the speculation that we naturally have in regards to these investigations.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Thank you. I don't think anyone is asking for anything like specific dates and numbers for every single person, but a general breakdown, even by groups, would be nice. It stems from things like, well, we know for a fact 94 never used predator becuase he was on Mac, but he's warned alongside others who did, and in other cases some people who we thought were about the same got drastically different levels - one talked to you and the other didn't? We don't know everything that happened? Prior history? It's just overall been kind of a step down from the usual level of <quote> "see underlined" <warned for flaming, 3 day ban based on prior history> and all that.

...of course there's the argument that that's not so true for gameside punishments, but these were posted on the forums, so... :P

*sighs*

I knew we should have just jumped straight to DOS's and let everyone figure it out on their own... :p

+1

Burn them all. Max will know his own.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
It was repeatedly asked and ignored that rulings be broken down much like, say, the recent redtext in the GC thread - by who exactly did what, who used an illegal script, who used it ages so but hasn't in forever, who distributed it, etc...both for the absolute clarity of those warned, and for the community as it tried to decide who was more a victim and who was more responsible.

Ah I see. Well I'll kick this around, but the scale of the investigation might make this more trouble than it's worth on our part.

If it is more trouble than it is worth, then I think you should not bother with it.

As for the situation with Tex and Predator, just uphold the ruling. We do not know if he is telling the truth: even if he is, it's better to have one false confession than to have someone with access to Predator being able to continue using the script on NS and destroying Gameplay.

I think the best way we could use this incident is to use that incident as a warning to others, by showing the consequences of giving false confessions to the mods. But I don't think Tex should have his punishment lifted.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Luziyca wrote:

If it is more trouble than it is worth, then I think you should not bother with it.

As for the situation with Tex and Predator, just uphold the ruling. We do not know if he is telling the truth: even if he is, it's better to have one false confession than to have someone with access to Predator being able to continue using the script on NS and destroying Gameplay.

I think the best way we could use this incident is to use that incident as a warning to others, by showing the consequences of giving false confessions to the mods. But I don't think Tex should have his punishment lifted.

What it's worth is a shitload of respect and community goodwill, something moderation doesn't always have many chances to earn in GP ;) on top of which, they should have all the information present already, and know themselves who was warned for us- it's just be deciding what exactly that want to say publicly and some formatting.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:18 pm

Luziyca wrote:If it is more trouble than it is worth, then I think you should not bother with it.

What it's worth is a shitload of respect and community goodwill, something moderation doesn't always have many chances to earn in GP ;) on top of which, they should have all the information present already, and know themselves who was warned for us- it's just be deciding what exactly that want to say publicly and some formatting.

Still, regardless of the result, I think the mods should not let Tex's punishment be lifted. If we allow him to be lifted, then others will claim that they were railroaded into saying that they used Predator, and where would it end?
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Luziyca wrote:If it is more trouble than it is worth, then I think you should not bother with it.

Sorry, but as someone who would actually like to know why they got hit with a WA ban and DEAT, I completely disagree. Knowing what you did is essential to not making the same mistake again, and I for one, do not want to get DoS.

I am certain that if you were hit with a WA ban of any sort, you would certainly not be saying "I don't care about why it happened."

Luziyca wrote:Still, regardless of the result, I think the mods should not let Tex's punishment be lifted. If we allow him to be lifted, then others will claim that they were railroaded into saying that they used Predator, and where would it end?

Do you REALLY think that anyone on the punishment list is going to get anything back for saying they were railroaded? Is Gest going to come out of the wordworks crying that Halcones held his face to the keyboard and forced him to use it?
WELCOME TO THE JUNTA BABY~!
Frisbeeteria wrote:This is spam hackery.

I'm Vleerian

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm

The third party commentary on Tex's punishment isn't necessary, if someone would help them file a coherent appeal we can sort it ourselves from there.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 pm

Zacherie wrote:

Sorry, but as someone who would actually like to know why they got hit with a WA ban and DEAT, I completely disagree. Knowing what you did is essential to not making the same mistake again, and I for one, do not want to get DoS.

I am certain that if you were hit with a WA ban of any sort, you would certainly not be saying "I don't care about why it happened."

I was hit with a WA ban because I plagiarized a resolution a few years back. Not with this nation, but a different nation. But I was informed of it.

I am sure that he was informed of his WA ban, so I don't think we need to know it.

Zacherie wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Still, regardless of the result, I think the mods should not let Tex's punishment be lifted. If we allow him to be lifted, then others will claim that they were railroaded into saying that they used Predator, and where would it end?

Do you REALLY think that anyone on the punishment list is going to get anything back for saying they were railroaded? Is Gest going to come out of the wordworks crying that Halcones held his face to the keyboard and forced him to use it?

It's best to avoid the possibility of such a thing from even happening in the first place.

But we should end this discussion here.

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:32 pm

Luziyca wrote:I am sure that he was informed of his WA ban, so I don't think we need to know it.

Ah, I think I got a little confused. I interpreted your post as "it's not worth going through and breaking down the original punishments." Appologies if that's not what it was.

I'm Vleerian

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:The third party commentary on Tex's punishment isn't necessary, if someone would help them file a coherent appeal we can sort it ourselves from there.

We're working on it.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Vando0sa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Vando0sa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:

*sighs*

NooooOOOOOOOOOO! I like not being DoS! Please don't scare me like that.. losing main nation is plenty enough to scare me out of doing anything wrong for at least the next 200 years!
Kevät itkee talven töitä Käy hyinen tuulen henki Kevät itkee talven töitä Virta kantaa luita rantaan

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:34 am

Just a question. Do people who used Predator and stopped using it before it was declared illegal get punished?

Vando0sa wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:*sighs*

NooooOOOOOOOOOO! I like not being DoS! Please don't scare me like that.. losing main nation is plenty enough to scare me out of doing anything wrong for at least the next 200 years!

200 years later...
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Vando0sa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Vando0sa » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:56 am

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Just a question. Do people who used Predator and stopped using it before it was declared illegal get punished?

Yes! All who used it get a smack.
Kevät itkee talven töitä Käy hyinen tuulen henki Kevät itkee talven töitä Virta kantaa luita rantaan

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Dranalica wrote:

So by that analogy, anyone who was railroaded into confessing to a crime by the police should not have the right to appeal their conviction, because other people might try and use the same defense? Seems a little extreme.

This is a private site, not the police. Max can do whatever he wants.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Dranalica wrote:So by that analogy, anyone who was railroaded into confessing to a crime by the police should not have the right to appeal their conviction, because other people might try and use the same defense? Seems a little extreme.

This is a private site, not the police. Max can do whatever he wants.

That is very true, however if he didn't know what he was saying, and it is clear that he has a poor grasp of English, and the mods have no evidence of him actually using predator, his punishment should be lifted.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:36 am

Coraspia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:This is a private site, not the police. Max can do whatever he wants.

That is very true, however if he didn't know what he was saying, and it is clear that he has a poor grasp of English, and the mods have no evidence of him actually using predator, his punishment should be lifted.

It depends on what you mean by "using" Predator. In Right to Life, we've talked with Texasa. Somebody in DEN privately gave Texasa access to Predator or leaked the illegal script to him, but Texasa didn't know what it was for or how to operate it.

If "using" Predator means having Predator on your computer and, perhaps, running the script, Texasa is guilty.

If "using" Predator means employing the illegal script in order to gain an advantage in a raid, Texasa is not guilty.

As Nohbdy says above, the only thing that Texasa did for DEN is pile; he never did a jump at the major or minor UD.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:55 am

pffh how exactly would someone leak the script to him if he never joined the regional skype channel? By telegram? =.=
You're accusing him of stuff he can't have done.
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:57 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Coraspia wrote:That is very true, however if he didn't know what he was saying, and it is clear that he has a poor grasp of English, and the mods have no evidence of him actually using predator, his punishment should be lifted.

It depends on what you mean by "using" Predator. In Right to Life, we've talked with Texasa. Somebody in DEN privately gave Texasa access to Predator or leaked the illegal script to him, but Texasa didn't know what it was for or how to operate it.

If "using" Predator means having Predator on your computer and, perhaps, running the script, Texasa is guilty.

If "using" Predator means employing the illegal script in order to gain an advantage in a raid, Texasa is not guilty.

I very much doubt that NS mods will seek to regulate what files you have on your computer. I think issue is whether you used an illegal script to interact with the NS servers.

I also think that the accuracy of this admission can be questioned.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 am

Texasa says that he had Predator on his computer. He might have run it inadvertently, but he never used it to raid.

Queen Yuno wrote:You're accusing him of stuff he can't have done.

I think he can download a file . . .

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:24 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Texasa says that he had Predator on his computer. He might have run it inadvertently, but he never used it to raid.

Queen Yuno wrote:You're accusing him of stuff he can't have done.

Yuno is saying that Predator was a closely guarded secret. A person who piled a couple times, was never on chat, etc. should never have gotten access to the files. Thus either it's not true that he actually had the files to Predator or there was a breach in Predator's security that should never have happened.
See You Space Cowboy...

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am

Drasnia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Texasa says that he had Predator on his computer. He might have run it inadvertently, but he never used it to raid.

Yuno is saying that Predator was a closely guarded secret. A person who piled a couple times, was never on chat, etc. should never have gotten access to the files. Thus either it's not true that he actually had the files to Predator or there was a breach in Predator's security that should never have happened.

Texasa got confused because he had the NS++ browser extension and Predator on his computer, not knowing what they were for. There was a breach in Predator's security, or the script was more widely distributed than DEN has acknowledged.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 am

Drasnia wrote:Yuno is saying that Predator was a closely guarded secret. A person who piled a couple times, was never on chat, etc. should never have gotten access to the files. Thus either it's not true that he actually had the files to Predator or there was a breach in Predator's security that should never have happened.

Christian Democrats wrote:Texasa got confused because he had the NS++ browser extension and Predator on his computer, not knowing what they were for. There was a breach in Predator's security, or the script was more widely distributed than DEN has acknowledged.

Predator wasn't a closely guarded secret, but the files were kept within TBR, and the same likely applied to DEN.
Additionally, he would have had to get cleared by Halcones, and assuming that practices did not change, you had to be at least a lieutenant to gain access.
Even if he got the files, he wouldn't have been able to use it anyway. He'd just get a box telling him he's not a registered user.
Last edited by Zacherie on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Vleerian

Gest II
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Gest II » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:41 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Coraspia wrote:That is very true, however if he didn't know what he was saying, and it is clear that he has a poor grasp of English, and the mods have no evidence of him actually using predator, his punishment should be lifted.

This is impossible as he didn't talk to anyone in the region. He didn't have Skype and he didn't raid. He just made two posts on the forum and then vanished. If you keep interrogating this guy he's going to confess to being at the grassy knoll.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay