NATION

PASSWORD

Council of the Nations of the Renegade Island Alliance

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Council of the Nations of the Renegade Island Alliance

Postby Jute » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:19 pm

This thread is the primary thread for the Renegade Islands Alliance initiative known as Operation: Reboot. Conversation is open to all citizens of the Renegade Islands Alliance. While visitors/commentators are welcome, their input should be kept to a minimum. As a reminder: please remain courteous, polite, and civil with everybody on this thread. Keep in mind that statements by individuals on this thread are not representative of the entire Council or the region. The final authority on policy coming out of this Council and this region is Delegate Jute. Thanks, and best of luck!

● The Council of February ●

Welcome to the Council of the Nations of the Renegade Island Alliance!

In response to the decline of activity and population in the RIA, it has been decided that the region should establish a new and better functioning government. The former government has been suspended by Delegate Jute as a calculated agreement with the general consensus, and the suspended government has been replaced by this Council. This Council will comprise of any active citizen of the Renegade Islands Alliance. This Council is tasked with crafting a government and transferring power to this government in the month of February. On the orders of Delegate Jute and with the support of the citizens of the region, this Council has now been granted the status of the official government of the Renegade Islands Alliance.

May we serve well as those before us, and may those after us be able to say the same.

| The Timothian Dispatches || Offsite Forums | | Passed Legislation | | Roster and Attendance | | Unofficial Council Song | | Full Sized Flag |
Chairperson of the Council
Jute
Speaker of the Council
Timothia

Stated Goals
To encourage the posterity,
growth, and welfare of the
Renegade Islands Alliance;

To replace itself with a
reasonably sustainable
government as quickly as
such a government can be
crafted;

To dissolve on March 1st if stated
goals have not been achieved.
Agenda
  • Speaker
  • Offsite Forum Wipe
  • Recruitment
  • RP Rules
  • RIASF
  • Officers/Offices
  • Great Houses
  • Legislative Process
  • Cartographer and Flag/Seal
  • Election Process
  • Future Changes
  • Finalize Constitution

Official Statement Template
Code: Select all
The template for an official statement on behalf of the Council.
Official Legislation Template
Code: Select all
The template for submitting legislation to the Council.

Charter for the
Council of February

1This Council (the Council of February, February Council, the Council, or CoF) is declared by the Delegate of the Renegade Islands Alliance (RIA) to be the official governing body of the RIA. The Council will retain this distinction until any one of three prerequisites are met, and these three prerequisites are: a vote by the Council to dissolve itself, a vote by the Council to transfer authority to a permanent government, or the conclusion of the month of February. If any of these prerequisites exist, then this charter will be revoked and voided. 2The membership of this Council will be limited to active citizens of the RIA, with the term citizen defined as a person who's primary nation resides in the RIA. No citizen shall be deprived membership on the Council by anyone other than the chairperson, and only with justifiable and reasonable cause. The chairperson shall be the Delegate of the RIA, and the Vice-Chairperson shall be appointed by the Delegate. 3For the duration of it's existence, the Council will operate in the following way. Any Council member may submit legislation or ideas to the Council. The Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson will call for a vote on any submitted legislation at their discretion. For legislation to pass, it must achieve a 2/3 majority. The Chairperson reserves veto rights, which the Council could override with an otherwise-unanimous vote. Legislation and recommendations passed by this Council will be considered binding in the next iteration of government unless expressly stated otherwise. 4Concerning foreign affairs, military affairs, and internal affairs, this Council may select members of it's own body to serve as officers until a protocol is established. These officers will be expected to relinquish their status should upon the dissolution of this Council. 5At At any time during the established duration of this Council's charter, the Chairperson can add additional lines and stipulations to the charter. Neither the Chairperson nor anybody else may alter any portion of the charter without a unanimous decision.

(Text based on Timothia's draft, with minor additions)
Last edited by Jute on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Timothia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I deeply appreciate being selected as the Speaker. This is going to be an excellent and productive Council, and I can't wait to get the chance to see the RIA grow back into a high-activity, high-profile region!
The only unofficial person in the room still wearing a monocle. ಠ_ರೃ

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Cool! I hope you guys succeed. By the way, that pic should be the regional flag. It's really nice. ^_^
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Usniya
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Usniya » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Alright, it seems the first order of business will be to establish what we want this new government to accomplish, and set our priorities straight.
This nation does not follow my political views.
Religion, Catholicism, Democracy, Compromise, Christian Democracy, Human Dignity, Egalitarianism, Space Exploration, Technology, Science
Totalitarianism, Racism, Antitheism, Anti-intellectualism, Materialism, Consumerism, Political Extremism, Communism, Fascism, Abortion
Texan Catholic, born of an immigrant and the grandson of an immigrant.

Babylatia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Babylatia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Forum Wipe: Should we just create a new forum? That way the new government can control it? No offense to Shizensky and what he did for this region. (Maybe only use NS forums? Except for defending?)
Recruitment: This is easy. Just stamps and tging. The hard part is getting them to stay in my experience. So we should change the focus.
RP Rules: Libertarianism!
RIASF: All for it. We need someone to lead it up. I have no experience leading and poor connections with the other defending regions head's.
Offices: I would much prefer it to be could the Office of ___ rather than the ___ Officer. We should limit this to a couple of broad ones (those are the ones that need to be consistently active). Then deputes for the more specific (but possibly less active).
Great Houses: Fun, but in my experience never active enough, especially now with our limited forum participation. Forge a link with onsite culture?
Legislative Process: We should keep this as simple as possible. We don't need legislation to be written law jargon (unless you want too). Also, we should get rid of the like weeklong waiting periods for each stage as it discourages activity (IMO).
Cartographer: So... I thought I would be good creating/managing a map. Turns out not so much. I remember really liking Timothia's map if he is up for it. I could maybe do something like the Flag and Seal? I like the idea of keeping the Council of February Flag as the RIA flag, but maybe a minimalist seal?
Election Process: DOWN WITH FPTP!
Future Changes: ???

OOC NEWS: Babylatia has rerelocated to the Renegade Islands Alliance!

IC NEWS: Loading...

And yes, I do have an ego.
Waypool
Class Q17: Tier 5, Type II, Regional power to Class X14: Tier 4, Type II, Superpower

Usniya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Usniya » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm

With regards to the flag, is there a high-res version of the current flag?
Religion, Catholicism, Democracy, Compromise, Christian Democracy, Human Dignity, Egalitarianism, Space Exploration, Technology, Science
Totalitarianism, Racism, Antitheism, Anti-intellectualism, Materialism, Consumerism, Political Extremism, Communism, Fascism, Abortion

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Babylatia wrote:Forum Wipe: Should we just create a new forum? That way the new government can control it? No offense to Shizensky and what he did for this region.

I know you said "no offense", but I take great offense to this suggestion.

If you're looking to entirely erase the impact players such as Shizensky, Lichto, Domino and Tierra have had on Renegade Islands Alliance, you might as well just create a new region. While we're at it, we should repeal that SC Commendation if you want to turn your back on a decade's worth of history.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Shiz.... :(

I feel old now, I was ----->| |<--------- that close to going fenda because of shiz. You can blame Venico for me today :P

....Venico..... :(

Aaaaaaaaanyways, good luck with the revival, I was always a fan of RIA. o7
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Timothia
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:Cool! I hope you guys succeed. By the way, that pic should be the regional flag. It's really nice. ^_^

I literally just resized the regional flag and then put it through this really cool website. I thought that it visually fit the "reboot" idea.
Numero Capitan wrote:(Image)
Coup is so strong... I prefer to call this a "sudden decisive exercise of force in politics". That's definitely not one definition of coup :p
Usniya wrote:Alright, it seems the first order of business will be to establish what we want this new government to accomplish, and set our priorities straight.
What would YOU say that this government should accomplish? And what do you think that our priorities should be?
Usniya wrote:With regards to the flag, is there a high-res version of the current flag?
Not that I'm aware of. I could resize it and touch it up, if we want to keep the same one.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Shiz.... :(

I feel old now, I was ----->| |<--------- that close to going fenda because of shiz. You can blame Venico for me today :P

....Venico..... :(

Aaaaaaaaanyways, good luck with the revival, I was always a fan of RIA. o7
Always neat to have wishes of good luck from the "other side" ;)

Hopefully we can do Shiz's legacy proud, and here's to hoping that he'll come back!
Benevolent Thomas wrote:If you're looking to entirely erase the impact players such as Shizensky, Lichto, Domino and Tierra have had on Renegade Islands Alliance, you might as well just create a new region. While we're at it, we should repeal that SC Commendation if you want to turn your back on a decade's worth of history.
Definitely agree with this. My goal is to maintain the same attitude and general aura of the old-school RIA, only kickstarted, younger, and back to it's spam-defendo-conflicting-awesomeness. We have a super unique chance to be in a region as blank and open as this, but still has the atmosphere and history curated by some of the best people to ever play the game of NationStates.
Babylatia wrote:#1
#2Forum Wipe: Should we just create a new forum? That way the new government can control it? No offense to Shizensky and what he did for this region. #3(Maybe only use NS forums? Except for defending?)
#4Recruitment: This is easy. Just stamps and tging. The hard part is getting them to stay in my experience. So we should change the focus.
#5RP Rules: Libertarianism!
RIASF: All for it. We need someone to lead it up. I have no experience leading and poor connections with the other defending regions head's.
#6Offices: I would much prefer it to be could the Office of ___ rather than the ___ Officer. We should limit this to a couple of broad ones (those are the ones that need to be consistently active). Then deputes for the more specific (but possibly less active).
#7Great Houses: Fun, but in my experience never active enough, especially now with our limited forum participation. Forge a link with onsite culture?
#8Legislative Process: We should keep this as simple as possible. We don't need legislation to be written law jargon (unless you want too). Also, we should get rid of the like weeklong waiting periods for each stage as it discourages activity (IMO).
Cartographer: So... I thought I would be good creating/managing a map. Turns out not so much. I remember really liking #9 Timothia's map if he is up for it. I could maybe do something like the Flag and Seal? I like the idea of keeping the Council of February Flag as the RIA flag, but maybe a minimalist seal?
#10Election Process: DOWN WITH FPTP!
Future Changes: ???

#1 - First of all, that comic is hilarious. And decently accurate
#2 - Pretty much already covered, but I like to hear myself type, so here goes: I'm with BT on this one. Our forum is one of the most storied places on NationStates, I think. The archives are extensive, the whole thing is perfectly themed, and it is the handiwork of a NS legend (Shiz). It's like a landmark or a historic heritage site. My plan is to move many of the present "clutter threads" to the archives so that we can have a fresh-er feel, but I certainly won't actually consider wiping anything completely. That, and I think that forum activity in the 2nd Gen (2013-14) was high enough to prove that the forums are, in no way, obsolete. There's no way that we change forums.
#3 - That being said, I understand that our region is changing. Less and less people use the offsite forums because more and more people are on their phones. Yes, proboards has an app... but who bothers? This generation of RIA-ers are probably going to prefer on-site forums, RMB, and gameside stuff over IRC, offsit forums, and things like that. I'd be all for an increased presence on these forums. This raises a decent question: in the past, a citizen is somebody who had signed up on the forums. This is because all voting, etc, took place on those forums. Should offsite forum membership remain a prerequisite for citizenship? I say yes, but I'll hear arguments to the contrary.
#4 - Ideally, I would like there to be recruitment challenges. I would like there to be an officer who is entirely dedicated to recruitment. I want people to occasionally "canvas" in the game created regions. I'm on the verge of buying stamps to get our recruitment off to a good start, but I won't do that until I know that we have infrastructure in place to ensure that there will be people following up, people mentoring, and more people TG-ing when the stamps finally run out. I want sustainable recruitment, and stamps aren't sustainable.
#5 - Civ 4... liberalism always made that weird sound when you were the first person to discover it... therefore, libruls=bad
#6 - I always liked the idea of the founder, the delegate, and a cabinet of three (Foreign Affairs, Internal Affairs, and Security). Each officer could then create and fill further positions as the need arose. This basic idea (minus the founder *cries*) could be the basis for the idea we move towards. I personally also like the idea of calling them Departments and Secretaries rather than Offices and Officers.
#7 - As offsite forum use falls, I see no way that the current establishment of Great Houses can continue. I really like the idea, but the bottom line (besides that being a XKI ripoff) is that the great houses were designed for a different era. They were fun while they lased. Hail sauropods, rawr, rawr, rawr, and amen.
#8 - I'm actually in favor of a minimalist government approach unless we start getting an influx of people who are interested. So far, the people joining have been far more interested in the community than in the government. However, writing in law jargon is extremely fun to attempt, so I can't promise that that will go away.
#9 - I can polish up that old map if people are interested. Digital cartography is something I dabble in, so I can come out with the occasional project. the problem is more with maintenance: unless we have a dedicated cartographer, the map will just wind up an abysmal failure (as all our other attempts at a map have been so far). If you or anybody else is interested in doing flag work, seal work... any kind of graphic design stuff, then go for it! I just want there to be an office - maybe under Internal Affairs? - staffed with people who can be contacted to work on/maintain stuff like that.
#10 - FIRST PAST THE POLE IS ADVICE FOR HOW TO TIP YOUR DANCERS, NOT HOW ELECTIONS SHOULD BE DECIDED.

In all, I think you made a lot of good points and put out a ton of good ideas. Keep tossing stuff out there, I love the conversation.

/megapost
Last edited by Timothia on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usniya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Usniya » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:29 pm

I might be able to take some slack up on simpler Graphic Design jobs.

EDIT: Earlier today, I fudged together a decent 400x800 version of the RIA flag in FlagMaker, so we could use that.
Last edited by Usniya on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothia
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Usniya wrote:I might be able to take some slack up on simpler Graphic Design jobs.

You could try your hand at some simplistic seals, logos, or flags, if you want. If you post them in this thread, we can check them out and see if we like em.

Usniya
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Usniya » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Timothia wrote:
Usniya wrote:I might be able to take some slack up on simpler Graphic Design jobs.

You could try your hand at some simplistic seals, logos, or flags, if you want. If you post them in this thread, we can check them out and see if we like em.

I can definitely do some logos and flags based off my experience with paint.net and FlagMaker.

Timothia
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 pm

Usniya wrote:
Timothia wrote:You could try your hand at some simplistic seals, logos, or flags, if you want. If you post them in this thread, we can check them out and see if we like em.

I can definitely do some logos and flags based off my experience with paint.net and FlagMaker.

Awesome! I'd love to see them over the coming couple days, if you can find the time

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Your region needs to manage its internal affairs either on your RMB or an offsite forum. You can't do it here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay