NATION

PASSWORD

RAIDERCON 2023: A NEW FRONTIER

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

WolfMac
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WolfMac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:09 am

Cora II wrote:<snip>

Jakker wrote:Any nomination must come with an detailed explanation or will be discounted.
Last edited by WolfMac on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cormac Stark
Raider Wolf, Lone Wolves United

Χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά (Naught Without Labor)

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 am

In that case, I'd like to nominate Savaer for the Hall of Fame;

-Starting as a soldier in TBOB, was one of two (the other being Gerzam) raiders to participate in the final push to refound Unknown;
-Became Reichmarshall of Unknown, then eventually Warlord, Archemperor and finally Angelus Curator;
-Ran somewhere in the vicinity of fifty major raids/occupations between 2009 and 2011;
-Organized or helped other Incognitan officers organize successful hits against major historical defender regions including,
----Anticapitalist Alliance (31st July 2009, Unknown assisted by The Black Hawks and The Holy Dominion Confederation)
----Allied States of Euroislanders (29th December 2009, Unknown assisted by Avalon, Europeia, Jihad of Righteousness and The Holy Dominion Confederation, and 11th November 2010, Unknown assisted by The New Inquisition, Golden Dusk, and the Union)
----The Proletariat Coalition (17th September 2011, Unknown assisted by virtually every raider region in the game and no small number of defenders)
----New Sorvun, at the time an active member of the FRA (5th August 2009, Unknown assisted by The Black Hawks, The Commonwealth, Black Water, The Kingdom of Middle Earth and New Folsom) (founder was on holiday, toppest of keks were had),
-Organized multiple major successful intelligence operations in the FRA and FRA member states (although frankly, the FRA had more victories in that theatre in that particular time frame- goddamnit Numero),
-Had brief stints running the armed forces of regions such as Europeia, the New Britannian Empire and The Holy Dominion Confederation.
Last edited by Klaus Devestatorie on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby North East Somerset » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 am

There is always a risk with these sort of distant retrospective judgments. Partly exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the Judges don't cover the entire era. They are therefore reliant on sources, often significantly biased ones, for information on the earlier era to mix with their first hand knowledge of the later era. Thus to some extent you are comparing apples and oranges. There is thus always a temptation to look at earlier eras through "rose-tinted glasses". Hopefully it will be balanced out, but I am not going to be considering anyone who pre-dates my involvement in R/D.
Last edited by North East Somerset on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:13 am

What you're describing is called "nostalgia", NES. It's par for the course in anything having to do with a Hall of Fame, or really, any award that has to do with "lifetime achievement".

There's no way to make a perfectly unbiased HoF.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Apple-Loosa
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Apple-Loosa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:16 am

Ridersyl wrote:What you're describing is called "nostalgia", NES. It's par for the course in anything having to do with a Hall of Fame, or really, any award that has to do with "lifetime achievement".

Couldn't it just be graded upon the number of raids they've done? Then it's more simplistic...

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:18 am

North East Somerset wrote:There is always a risk with these sort of distant retrospective judgments. Partly exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the Judges don't cover the entire era. They are therefore reliant on sources, often significantly biased ones, for information on the earlier era to mix with their first hand knowledge of the later era. Thus to some extent you are comparing apples and oranges. There is thus always a temptation to look at earlier eras through "rose-tinted glasses". Hopefully it will be balanced out, but I am not going to be considering anyone who pre-dates my involvement in R/D.

No one from the Atlantic Central Command / Atlantic Alliance. Pffff.

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby North East Somerset » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 am

Apple-Loosa wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:What you're describing is called "nostalgia", NES. It's par for the course in anything having to do with a Hall of Fame, or really, any award that has to do with "lifetime achievement".

Couldn't it just be graded upon the number of raids they've done? Then it's more simplistic...

Nostalgia is usually a sentimental affection for an earlier period in ones own past, rather than in the period before it, but yes, the same proviso's apply, we will have to try and avoid showing a bias to that in the Judgements.

As for grading it on the number of raids they've done - absolutely not. I'd rate a raider who played a pivotal strategical role above someone who was involved in 500 raids, or someone who organised and executed a dozen extremely important raids above 500 tag raids, or indeed the people who developed tag raiding above those who just did a lot of it. Raiding isn't about monotony or repetition, it's about developing strategies that are successful, thinking on your feet, organising people to work with you, etc.

I'll be looking for people who had an Impact and are Famous for it, not just workhorses, although obviously contribution by time committed won't detract from their chances.
Last edited by North East Somerset on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:27 am

Apple-Loosa wrote:

Number of raids doesn't really correlate to the amount of impact on R/D. Take Wulfenite for example. He doesn't tag raid, but he is one of the best infiltrators in the game, and contributed to several large invasions.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Apple-Loosa
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Apple-Loosa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:30 am

We Are Not the NSA wrote:
Apple-Loosa wrote:Couldn't it just be graded upon the number of raids they've done? Then it's more simplistic...

Number of raids doesn't really correlate to the amount of impact on R/D. Take Wulfenite for example. He doesn't tag raid, but he is one of the best infiltrators in the game, and contributed to several large invasions.

Well, maybe you could have classifications, or awards for specific areas?

WolfMac
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby WolfMac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 pm

North East Somerset wrote:There is always a risk with these sort of distant retrospective judgments. Partly exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the Judges don't cover the entire era. They are therefore reliant on sources, often significantly biased ones, for information on the earlier era to mix with their first hand knowledge of the later era. Thus to some extent you are comparing apples and oranges. There is thus always a temptation to look at earlier eras through "rose-tinted glasses". Hopefully it will be balanced out, but I am not going to be considering anyone who pre-dates my involvement in R/D.

I'm not saying you're wrong for taking this approach, and I somewhat agree with what you're saying, but I will point out that if all judges took this approach that would mean we couldn't consider anyone who was raiding prior to 2014, when the judge who most recently joined NationStates started playing.

I do think we should avoid going so far back that actual, unbiased source material can't be found, but I think we should also avoid ignoring the past in favor of the immediate present. Too often in NationStates these kinds of things are judged by what's happening right now rather than taking into account any history, and they become not so much reflective of real, lasting contribution but just whoever is well-known at the time of judging. I would hate to see that happen here.
Last edited by WolfMac on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cormac Stark

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Trick Shot wrote:
WraithFIN wrote:Nominations:
1. Coraxion:
- Has raided many updates (2/day usually)
-never lets anyone down with raiding, even raids when sick, drunk or computer tries to f*** around.
-Has invented multiple new systems to do while tag raiding.
-Always great ideas as raider.
-Happy mostly of the time

2. Myself, WraithFIN:
-Glorious one.
-Evil.
-Everyone "loves" Wraith.
-No more reasons unless judges do 'em

Self-nominations are usually considered unprofessional and in bad taste.

No one cares.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:17 pm

WolfMac wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong for taking this approach, and I somewhat agree with what you're saying, but I will point out that if all judges took this approach that would mean we couldn't consider anyone who was raiding prior to 2014, when the judge who most recently joined NationStates started playing.

I do think we should avoid going so far back that actual, unbiased source material can't be found, but I think we should also avoid ignoring the past in favor of the immediate present. Too often in NationStates these kinds of things are judged by what's happening right now rather than taking into account any history, and they become not so much reflective of real, lasting contribution but just whoever is well-known at the time of judging. I would hate to see that happen here.

The judges shouldn't feel pressured to vote as many ol timers as they can. I am aware that some judges are fairly new. The intention was to get various perspectives from different spheres and ages. The judges will change year to year, so if there are any potential players that are worthy of being inducted, but this year's judges do not consider or vote for them, there is always next year when other judges who may have a better understanding of a certain candidate will be in place. This is the first year, so one cannot expect everyone possibly deserving of being inducted to be so. The system isn't going to please everyone and I get that, but I think it is functionally sound.
Last edited by Jakker on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

WolfMac
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby WolfMac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Jakker wrote:The judges shouldn't feel pressured to vote as many ol timers as they can. I am aware that some judges are fairly new. The intention was to get various perspectives from different spheres and ages. The judges will change year to year, so if there are any potential players that are worthy of being inducted, but this year's judges do not consider or vote for them, there is always next year when other judges who may have a better understanding of a certain candidate will be in place. This is the first year, so one cannot expect everyone possibly deserving of being inducted to be so. The system isn't going to please everyone and I get that, but I think it is functionally sound.

I agree, it's a much better system than a voting free for all. I'm just discussing candidates and how best to judge, but the system is definitely a good one.
Cormac Stark

Moly
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Moly » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:56 am

I'll be popping by :D

Marselesk
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marselesk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:03 pm

The Raid continues: landing a punch!

After a good and speedy battle between the stars, the crew of the first class lite destroyer Roach decided to turn to the LN-281 solar system and look for a planet capable of providing them with a slight thrill and a light snack. Sergeant Festavo logged the coordinates into their navigational computer and entered hyper-space. After a short period of time, the BHS Roach had reached the gravitational field of a small desert planet within the LN-281 solar system. The planet seemed to have several settlements across it's territory, and was sure to provide at least a minor challenge for the crew.

The BHS Roach landing on a remote backwater planet

Upon landing on the planet, the crew noted that that the levels of gas in the atmosphere were proportional to that of their homeworld and proceeded to exist their vessel in a quick fashion. They took a few minutes to enjoy stretching, after being seated for a very long amount of time, and then flipped a coin on what method of transportation they'd use for this raid. Before the coin could fall on the ground and reveal the results, Marselesk kicked it up and then caught it.

"Let's just run, i'm aching for some old fashioned smack-em-up fighting!" said Marselesk as he was meddling with the coin

"Hell no, i'm not going to run across this damn desert for hours, especially since i brought my new speed-crawler." contested Festavo, while reaching out his hand to Marselesk as if waiting for something

"Bah, you're no fun. Fine, flip your stupid coin."

Marselesk gave back the coin to Festavo, and he threw it into the air for a second time. The coin fell right in front of him, and this time managed to hit the ground, leaving the face of the coin open for them to see.

"It's settled then, we're using my speed-crawler." said a slightly smirking Festavo

Festavo rolled up his right sleeve a bit, activating his holo-watch, and clicked a few buttons. Immediately after that, a side-door on the lower part of the BHS Roach opened and the speed-crawler creeped out of the opening. The crew boarded the speed-crawler and within seconds were hundreds of meters away from their space vessel. In the following couple hours they would make quick stops at every settlement they came across and thoroughly terrorized the population, all the while planting RaiderCon banners and throwing out advertisement papers around. Upon closing up on bingo fuel, the crew turned their vehicle around and went full speed back to their vessel, and enjoyed a cooling breeze after a day's hard work.

99.1% Chemically Pure Raider
Field Marshal and Major of The Black Hawks
Patriarch of the House of Vasentius

Revall wrote:I will train a flock of geese for 20 years as assassins and send them to find you kleo

John Jacob wrote:Your ability to make a convincing argument based on complete bullsh*t is very impressive

Raging Zen Master wrote:As subtle as "HELLO FELLOW HUMANS, I TOO, ENJOY BREATHING OXYGEN."

Knot/Ivo wrote:Nonsense, defender budgets are set to buying cushy armchairs, not bombers!

Cora II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

@Kleo: You forgot include two hits to the report (June 22nd UTC, Minor update):

http://www.nationstates.net/region=unit ... of_nations
http://www.nationstates.net/region=nort ... l_alliance

Otherwise Cool! :)
• The Black Riders Witch-Z-Queen of Cimmeria 'Cora' • Raider Extremist • War Diary
• 618+ active updates, 11195+ raided regions, 3567+ times raider delegate, 158+ updates in command, 2870+ triggered raids, 35+ occupations, 307+ banjected WA-nations •

"Cut them down!"

Mikeswill
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Mikeswill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:46 pm

I have a feeling that I will be involved in one form or another.
There were Raiders back in 2004 that most of the forum players have never heard of such as Winky Woo and Mississippi Rio.
We shall see how this plays out.

Kisses
Love Conquers Fear
NationStates

Trick Shot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trick Shot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Mikeswill wrote:I have a feeling that I will be involved in one form or another.
There were Raiders back in 2004 that most of the forum players have never heard of such as Winky Woo and Mississippi Rio.
We shall see how this plays out.

Kisses

Damn I like that latter name...
Festavo Montresor-Stark
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris | Sergeant of The Black Hawks
Raiding like it should be: Sleepers, Griefing and Fun
Marelius wrote:You got Festavo'd

Revall wrote:Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat

Nuke wrote:But can you really be more dangerous than Festavo? Now that guy is a real fucking OG.

Valrifell wrote:God dammit Fest, you think too much!

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:14 am

One week until RaiderCon begins!!

Program for the event will be announced later this week.

Keep on nominating players for the Raider Hall of Fame.

RaiderCon. Be there.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm a little late to this thing, but RaiderCon looks pretty cool, surprised it hasn't been done sooner. I'd like to 2nd the nominations of Jakker and Evil Wolf, for reasons already provided in prior posts.

Also i'd like to unofficially nominate Ever-Wandering Souls, I don't have enough info to do a proper nomination for them, but they've always seemed to be a fairly classy raider, and I tend to hold that as the most important quality a real raider can have. Also pretty sure I saw them lead / oversee one of this years large raids, can't recall which or if i'm just mistaken. :P

Edit: It was the South Pacific! (If this is enough info, consider it an official nomination)
Last edited by The Stalker on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:07 pm

The Stalker wrote:I'm a little late to this thing, but RaiderCon looks pretty cool, surprised it hasn't been done sooner. I'd like to 2nd the nominations of Jakker and Evil Wolf, for reasons already provided in prior posts.

Also i'd like to unofficially nominate Ever-Wandering Souls, I don't have enough info to do a proper nomination for them, but they've always seemed to be a fairly classy raider, and I tend to hold that as the most important quality a real raider can have. Also pretty sure I saw them lead / oversee one of this years large raids, can't recall which or if i'm just mistaken. :P

Edit: It was the South Pacific! (If this is enough info, consider it an official nomination)

I'll second this, and add for their:
-resistance to Milo's coup in the South Pacific
-work in the Eternal Knights, Brotherhood of Malice, and Sicarius
-assistance in refounding Tofuline
-infiltration of Islam (not refounding though)
-work in The Black Hawks
-leading the raid on South Pacific
-participation in the deseating of NewTexas
-positive attitude, and generally kind personality
-fun additions to raids, such as roleplay of the events that transpired in Ixnay
Last edited by We Are Not the NSA on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm not at all worthy honored, guys. :)

In other news, Official Update coming soon!
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:24 pm

I want a recommendation, doesn't have to be serious.

Anyone? Anyone?! ;-;
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Shadoke
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shadoke » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 pm

For what I have planned this year, I'll expect a nomination next Raidercon :lol:.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Trick Shot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trick Shot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 am

Valrifell wrote:I want a recommendation, doesn't have to be serious.

Anyone? Anyone?! ;-;

Our time will come..
Festavo Montresor-Stark
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris | Sergeant of The Black Hawks
Raiding like it should be: Sleepers, Griefing and Fun
Marelius wrote:You got Festavo'd

Revall wrote:Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat

Nuke wrote:But can you really be more dangerous than Festavo? Now that guy is a real fucking OG.

Valrifell wrote:God dammit Fest, you think too much!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay