NATION

PASSWORD

RAIDERCON 2023: A NEW FRONTIER

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 pm

RaiderCon is awesome. <3
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Closing Statement

Postby Jakker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:57 am

The third annual RaiderCon has officially ended and it easy to define an event by its numbers like 110+ players in the Discord channel or over 80 registered members active on the forum during the past 6 days or over 1,300 players reading the RaiderCon dispatch. But I think especially, this year's event had something more to it: a life of its own. To me, any event becomes larger than any one player when it has the capacity to inspire and bring joy to others. And I hope the past 6 days have done that for you.

We should talk about special moments such as RaiderCon being advertised on the NS News Page or the 10 RaiderVision submissions or the great interviews many people gave or the Capture the Flag Challenge. All were memorable, but what's even more special is the impact that they had. Above all, I truly hope you had fun. At first, I was reluctant to make RaiderCon an annual event, but these past three years has shown me how important this convention is for NS and its players. Raiding is often about the numbers, but RaiderCon is about the the shared memories, knowledge, and experiences. And thanks to you all, this year has left me with memories to last a lifetime.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Fudardus Core
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fudardus Core » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 am

Brilliant event but please dedicate something to antiraideron

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 am

Jakker wrote:The third annual RaiderCon has officially ended and it easy to define an event by its numbers like 110+ players in the Discord channel or over 80 registered members active on the forum during the past 6 days or over 1,300 players reading the RaiderCon dispatch. But I think especially, this year's event had something more to it: a life of its own. To me, any event becomes larger than any one player when it has the capacity to inspire and bring joy to others. And I hope the past 6 days have done that for you.

We should talk about special moments such as RaiderCon being advertised on the NS News Page or the 10 RaiderVision submissions or the great interviews many people gave or the Capture the Flag Challenge. All were memorable, but what's even more special is the impact that they had. Above all, I truly hope you had fun. At first, I was reluctant to make RaiderCon an annual event, but these past three years has shown me how important this convention is for NS and its players. Raiding is often about the numbers, but RaiderCon is about the the shared memories, knowledge, and experiences. And thanks to you all, this year has left me with memories to last a lifetime.

"Bring joy to others". God, are you guys swallowing your own Kool-aid?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:16 am

Escade the Hyper Sparkly Officer wrote:There were definitely things I enjoyed about raidercon (and I'm a defender :P ) and I need to catch up all the content that I didn't even get to. HOWEVER, The song contest is a really cool idea that I haven't seen before. The interviews, particularly the ladies of raiding and post predator aftermath, were really insightful and engaging.

There are def. suggestions that can be made on how to improve NS events overall and in general but this was a good event and some great people showed up :)

Can't take credit for inventing that one - RaiderVision is a slightly modified version of the long-running FRAVision. I personally really didn't want to see it die, and got permission from some of the old organizers to directly adapt the existing format and handbook into something that could keep going, after the FRA threw in the towel. You can see that in the second line of the handbook - "Inspired by FRAVision ~ Materials adapted with permission from Wop." Additionally, most of the credit for runnning this years' goes to Albion, winners last year and hosts this year. Next time, CoE is stuck with the legwork :P

On a more general Con note - everything should remain up and public for quite some time. I know I at least still need to listen to and read a good half the material (been travelling), and anyone else who wants to catch up later absolutely can.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 am

Grenartia wrote:
Jakker wrote:The third annual RaiderCon has officially ended and it easy to define an event by its numbers like 110+ players in the Discord channel or over 80 registered members active on the forum during the past 6 days or over 1,300 players reading the RaiderCon dispatch. But I think especially, this year's event had something more to it: a life of its own. To me, any event becomes larger than any one player when it has the capacity to inspire and bring joy to others. And I hope the past 6 days have done that for you.

"Bring joy to others". God, are you guys swallowing your own Kool-aid?

Kool-aid is a refreshing part of the day, especially in the summer months. Seems rude and unhealthy to drink someone else's kool-aid.

One Stop Rules Shop

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 am

Grenartia wrote:"Bring joy to others". God, are you guys swallowing your own Kool-aid?

I don't know man, some of the stuff that Jakker mentioned like the singing and the capture the flag event seemed to pretty universally bring smiles. Just because we raid regions doesn't mean every single thing we do has to make others miserable. At the least, our regions wouldn't last very long if we made the others in them miserable!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 am

Fudardus Core wrote:Brilliant event but please dedicate something to antiraideron

We don't particularly feel pressed to dedicate anything to say, the defender awards or the NS world's fair. They do their own publicity and advertising quite fine ;P Why would we make a special dedication to a baity, yet-to-materialize idea with a low-effort name?

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Just because we raid regions doesn't mean every single thing we do has to make others miserable.

Just most things you do. ;)
Last edited by Consular on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Consular wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Just because we raid regions doesn't mean every single thing we do has to make others miserable.

Hmm I seem to recall a Cassius Cerebella, once an Imperialist smasher of Natives. You may have shifted gears, but that doesn't absolve you of your own "crimes against Nativetivety", or maybe that time you fell asleep behind the wheel wasn't actually once but the whole time?

Isn't that sort of reply getting quite old Cassius? I don't think raiders really care, and the few who have went and did Cat Burglaring or quit raiding.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:39 am

Zaolat wrote:
Consular wrote:Just most things you do. ;)

Hmm I seem to recall a Cassius Cerebella, once an Imperialist smasher of Natives. You may have shifted gears, but that doesn't absolve you of your own "crimes against Nativetivety", or maybe that time you fell asleep behind the wheel wasn't actually once but the whole time?

Isn't that sort of reply getting quite old Cassius? I don't think raiders really care, and the few who have went and did Cat Burglaring or quit raiding.

Yes because bad things I've done totally justify bad things others do. Wow thanks Zao!

Plagentine
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Plagentine » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 am

Consular wrote:

I have unironically missed moralism in gameplay. Thank you.

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:24 am

Consular wrote:
Zaolat wrote:

Yes because bad things I've done totally justify bad things others do. Wow thanks Zao!

It's ridiculous​ to read what I wrote right, possibly annoying? That's my point. I get your opinions on lots of things have changed and I don't fault you for it, but what also is ridiculous is your constant sentence or two remarks with little susbtance. There's been plenty times you've made good points even if I disagree. What you said wasn't even criticism just some snark with no substance. Maybe I just expected better from you.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:32 am

Zaolat wrote:
Consular wrote:Yes because bad things I've done totally justify bad things others do. Wow thanks Zao!

It's ridiculous​ to read what I wrote right, possibly annoying? That's my point. I get your opinions on lots of things have changed and I don't fault you for it, but what also is ridiculous is your constant sentence or two remarks with little susbtance. There's been plenty times you've made good points even if I disagree. What you said wasn't even criticism just some snark with no substance. Maybe I just expected better from you.

Did I give the impression I was annoyed? :unsure: You'd have to try a lot harder than that to put me on tilt.

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:59 am

Consular wrote:
Zaolat wrote:

Did I give the impression I was annoyed? :unsure: You'd have to try a lot harder than that to put me on tilt.

So, just ejection from a GCR.
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

2018 Program Announced!

Postby Jakker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 am

Banner created by Imki

RaiderCon is an annual event held in July that celebrates the past, present, and future of raiding in NationStates. This convention first took place in 2015 to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of The Black Hawks. Players across NationStates come together to engage in discussions, games, and more. RaiderCon has daily programs that examine raiding from various angles. In addition, attendees will be able to participate in raid games and discussions. We even have a discord channel.

RAIDERVISION

Before RaiderCon, players will able to experience the opening act of RaiderVision. Hosted this year by Crushing Our Enemies, this event invites creative, musical performances to be submitted and voted upon. Submissions will open in June and voting will take place during RaiderCon. The winners will be announced at the conclusion of RaiderCon. Check out the announcement from COE with more information on dates and participation instructions.

RAIDERCON 2018 PROGRAM

July 1st: Spotlight on LGBTQIA+ Raiding Gameplayers
July 2nd: Raiding and Moderation
July 3rd: Raiding Tactics Over the Years
July 4th: New Raiders: The Future of Raiding
July 5th: Relationship of Raiding and the Roleplaying Community

Speakers for each day will be announced in the next few days so stay tuned! In the meantime, join the forum, introduce yourself, and join our discord channel!
One Stop Rules Shop

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Speakers Announced: RaiderCon starts tomorrow!

Postby Jakker » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:41 pm

RaiderCon 2018 Program

July 1st: Spotlight on LGBTQIA+ Raiding Gameplayers
Speakers: Captain Alexander (Jay), Imperium of Josh, and Serboro (Valkyrie Vytherov)

July 2nd: Raiding and Moderation
Speakers: Various NS Moderators

July 3rd: Raiding Tactics Over the Years
Speakers: Crushing Our Enemies, Ever-Wandering Souls, Evil Wolf, and North East Somerset

July 4th: New Raiders: The Future of Raiding
Speakers: Aquila, Felt Karpit, and Lord Dominator

July 5th: Relationship of Raiding and the Roleplaying Community
Speakers: Cerillium, Kyrusia, and Lamoni

Once RaiderCon begins, check out all the great things on the forum including discussions, the Raiding Museum, and fun games/activities. On the discord, there will be games hosted as well as a broadcast (inspired by News With Booze) every night talking about the day's program and other raiding topics.
One Stop Rules Shop

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:27 pm

I am highly amused that I am both listed as apparently being the future of raiding, and that I am a speaker for an event while being at a different (rl) conference thing :lol2:

Tupelope
Envoy

Founded: Jul 14, 2007
Corporate Police State

Postby Tupelope » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm

yo raidercon looks way better than defendercon can i go

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Tupelope wrote:yo raidercon looks way better than defendercon can i go

Yes!

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Eriadni
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eriadni » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Heyo Jakker, Aquila is actually Eriadni if you're going by nation name.

Ragerian Founder
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragerian Founder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 am

Looks fun! I'll be watching intently.

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Day 1 is here!!!

Postby Jakker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:32 am

RaiderCon has officially begun! Our first day begins with a Spotlight on LGBTQIA+ Raiding Gameplayers. Check out the interviews and share your thoughts on the forum and discord! We have a discord channel for playing games so feel free to connect with each other about that. Additionally, we have a challenges section in the forum with various events like raiding memes, art, and best raid report. Test your skills there and keep an eye out for our Capture the Flag!

Interviews: http://s15.zetaboards.com/RaiderCon/top ... 445/1/#new

Tonight at 9pm EDT in the RaiderCon VC, Jakker will be chatting about today's topics while enjoying some sweet beverages. Come join and enjoy the day!
One Stop Rules Shop

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Day 2: Raiding and Moderation

Postby Jakker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 am

Day 1 has come and gone. The LGBTQIA+ community plays a significant role in many areas of Nationstates including raiding. This year, we have seen several events involving the community that was positive and negative. From Gay's stance becoming neutral (and therefore more inclusive/welcoming to raiders), the logs of TRE leadership, or the various pride events... It seems like with discord becoming the main off-site forms of communication for many, NS has become more social and interconnected. With that comes more awareness, openness, and discussion of one's identities behind the screen. Especially in gameplay, everyone is far more than just their in-character persona and these types of conversations are important to have. From many of us, we play this game to step away from real life. While it may becoming more of an extension of real life as one makes close friends and shares who they are, it's important to remember to not repeat flaws of society here like discrimination based on identities.

Here are some quotes from yesterday:

Jay: "My advice to people outside the LGBTQ+ community is to learn about what you don’t know. Ask questions if you aren’t sure. Do research. And most importantly, listen to us. If we say something is offensive, it is."

"Don’t hesitate to speak up. If you experience anything negative because of your LGBTQ+ identity, don’t keep it quiet. Speak up, and make sure people are aware. Other than that, just have fun."

Josh: "As one of the chief architects of Gay’s change in GP alignment, I am extremely proud that we as a region have finally stopped allowing petty GP alignment disputes prevent us from furthering the cause of LGBT+ equality. I’ve been contacted by many people who have thanked the region for this change, and I’m glad to have been able to help those people feel more accepted. The interregional community banded together after the change and awarded Gay a commendation, which I am naturally very glad about. Additionally, attempts by homophobes to derail the process or revoke the commendation gained next to 0 traction, which tells us the wider community in NS remain, in the majority, extremely supportive of LGBT+ issues."

Valkyrie: "I can't say i've really been directly attacked for my identity. I've been really lucky in this way. I've had lots of positive experiences though. As you might know, I'm one of the three that runs the queer NS group. I think it's super cool to find such a community and to be part of it. On the other hand, I was appalled to see the leaked logs from TRE and the revolting attacks against queer NS and my friends. As a queer person living in a conservative area, I am very aware of the possible ugly attitudes towards the LGBTQ+ community. I''m disappointed but not shocked. I hope we can change this though."

"Always speak up. No matter what. And this isn't just limited to gameplay or the internet. Always call people out on their bullshit. Always fight. Maybe you won't change that person's opinion, and that's expected, but you're giving that one lgbtq person in the chat with you a message that says it's ok for them to be themselves. By speaking up, you're letting all the assholes know that, no, their words will be met with consequences. Don't be afraid of losing "friends" or being seen as a bitch or whatever. Those people aren't worth anything. Never be afraid to give the assholes hell. Good people are backing you."

Day 2 is here and you're in for a special treat. Today, we examine the relationship between raiding and moderation. Several moderators share their perspective on the matter and overall, the answers show that mods are players too with their own views (which differ amongst themselves) and trying to work with a part of the game with so much complexities can be challenging. Check out the interview here
Last edited by Jakker on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Stop Rules Shop

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 am

I left a question on day one, and have some comments ready for day 2!

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay