NATION

PASSWORD

Alternative History in NS

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 am

KaelThas Quilor wrote:
Ballotonia wrote:
I'm not sold no that reasoning, actually. Why didn't FRA/UDL simply agree to disagree and move on as palls? A lot of that has to do with personal relations, irritations building up over time, etc... Just like in real life politics. That the split happened over a particular event doesn't mean the split would never have happened without that one event, the schism was slowly forming before then, and growing steadily. There could easily have been some other event a month later that would've led to the exact same effect, and then we'd be saying that some statement, some WA proposal, or some other coup in the game would've been the 'cause' of the FRA/UDL schism. I think the causes (plural) are far deeper and more structural than any single event.

Ballotonia

but the UDL formed as a result of the way Unibot felt the FRA mishandled the TSP coup, Ballo. The UDL wasn't around before it.

That's not quite correct; the UDL was formed due to the way TRR - or more specifically Sedge - were annoyed at how Unibot handled Sedge's coup of TSP. That is to say, because Unibot authorized Ranger deployment. However, to a great degree that was merely the casus belli for the TRR initiated recall of Unibot as FRA Arch Chancellor; the real issues were the general direction that Unibot was trying to take the FRA, specifically efforts to reduce the relative power of the regional membership, much of which contributed nothing in terms of manpower or activity to the FRA, by enfranchising the Ranger corps; the people who actually were actively participating in the FRA. The recall was essentially a case of "TRR or Unibot", though it wasn't termed that way. As a result Unibot and EID left the FRA, and formed the nucleus of the UDL, taking with us perhaps a third of the active Ranger Corps and maybe two thirds of the non-update pilers.

The fact that decisions in the FRA are still made by a group which is largely made up of people who don't actually defend remains one of it's weaknesses. In contrast, the UDL leaderships complete lack of accountability and oversight was it's largest weakness, and the cause of most of the problems it experienced during Unibot's Chiefship. On numerous occasions he made extremely bad decisions - especially in terms of foreign and public relations - which the Lt.'s called him to task on, but he never changed his pattern of behavior and simply reverted back to his typical behavior after a couple of weeks. This was a big cause in the general exodus of founding members in 2012-13, and directly led to his resignation as Chief of the Band. A general pattern of increasingly extreme rhetoric and ideology can be traced throughout this period, which combined with Unibot's behavior was the cause of the increasing disillusion among the more moderate members, many of whom had GCR attachments.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:39 am

Ambroscus Koth wrote:Here's an underrated one: If Durk had never founded The Imperial Legion.

I probably never would have found out about raiding, and I definitely wouldn't have met people like Cormac and made good friends with the group from Exshaw who ended up founding Asgard. Without Asgard, I wouldn't have ever gotten Venico to play NationStates, which would mean that The Brotherhood of Malice and the OFO would have never existed.

Not to mention that Cormac probably would have ended up in a completely different place in the game, and he's by far a more influential player than myself.

Absolutely 100% true.
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:53 am

Venico wrote:
Ambroscus Koth wrote:Here's an underrated one: If Durk had never founded The Imperial Legion.

I probably never would have found out about raiding, and I definitely wouldn't have met people like Cormac and made good friends with the group from Exshaw who ended up founding Asgard. Without Asgard, I wouldn't have ever gotten Venico to play NationStates, which would mean that The Brotherhood of Malice and the OFO would have never existed.

Not to mention that Cormac probably would have ended up in a completely different place in the game, and he's by far a more influential player than myself.

Absolutely 100% true.

I would very likely have ended up in Eastern Islands of Dharma, as I almost left Exshaw in favor of EID early in my time in Exshaw anyway. From there I probably would have ended up involved in the UDL without the detour into imperialism and raiding, and probably would have ended up involved in GCRs earlier as well. I'm not sure whether I would have ended up in the same GCRs or not. There was a UDL presence in Osiris, but if I had ended up going to EID I feel it would have been more likely I would have ended up in TSP.

So yeah, Durk not founding TIL would have been a big deal. No raid of Christmas in 2012, no Liberate Christmas, either no coup of Osiris in 2013 or a much longer coup a few months later. Maybe no SovCon or a very different SovCon, either a much earlier purge of imperialists from Lazarus or no purge at all and thus possibly no PRL. No OFO. Etc.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 am

Durk was surprisingly good at obtaining future great NSers. Which was funny because he never really cared that much about that whole process :P
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:18 am

Solorni wrote:Durk was surprisingly good at obtaining future great NSers. Which was funny because he never really cared that much about that whole process :P

Doesn't stop him from taking pride in us and our wanton destruction.
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Equestria and Griffon
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Equestria and Griffon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:16 pm

What if the Black Riders never existed?
I'm a living shitpost.

PONIES UNITE!!!

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Equestria and Griffon wrote:What if the Black Riders never existed?

Tag raiding wouldn't be nearly as popularized, if popularized at all. The Black Hawks would also likely be NS' top raiding region.

I also would have ended up being recruited into The Independent Order instead of The Black Riders, since when I joined the game, I was split between the two regions' recruitment telegrams and went with the latter.
Last edited by RiderSyl on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:14 am

Ridersyl wrote:
Equestria and Griffon wrote:What if the Black Riders never existed?

Tag raiding wouldn't be nearly as popularized, if popularized at all. The Black Hawks would also likely be NS' top raiding region.

I also would have ended up being recruited into The Independent Order instead of The Black Riders, since when I joined the game, I was split between the two regions' recruitment telegrams and went with the latter.

We could have had you too? God damn it. :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay