NATION

PASSWORD

Regional Security: The Economics of Endorsements

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Regional Security: The Economics of Endorsements

Postby Nephmir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Now, I'm not sure what you may be expecting when you clicked on this, but don't expect anything deep, profound, and in detail. I like to keep things simple, plus this is still only just a theory. :p

As some of you may already know, I recently developed an advanced influence calculator, combining a year's worth of research and data and several formulas into a single tool, which is not yet publicly available. Inspired partly by The North Pacific's concept of "endorsement saturation", found here, I have since altered my influence calculator to also calculate game mechanics concerning World Assembly Endorsements, including endorsement saturation. My other motive was the next change to game mechanics, "Delegate Elect", which also will affect game mechanics based on the World Assembly Endorsements and will need to be easily calculated.

Endorsement saturation, for those who don't know, is the total number of endorsements swapped in a region divided by the total number of endorsement swaps possible, multiplied by 100 to give a percentage. This is seen as a method of keeping a region secure by allowing many nations to reach endorsement levels that increase their influence enough to force the delegate to need to spend most or all of his/her influence to eject one of the nations; meaning that a rouge delegate could easily be overrun, resulting in minimal to no damage to the region. This is a different way of thinking from those that enforce low endorsement caps, in which the idea is to give all power to the delegate to ban and eject any nation, and to easily password protect the region, while making it difficult for foreign threats to overcome the delegate.

Endorsement saturation may become more pivotal when Regional Officers is implemented. Should the officers need to be World Assembly members in order to gain enough influence to use or keep the region secure, it would be important to know how to keep your region secure from either a rouge Delegate or officer, and foreign threats. Hence a balance of endorsements must be achieved, thus I have coined the term "endorsement balance".

Endorsement balance takes into account two different percentages of a region's endorsements: endorsement saturation and what I like to call "endorsement productivity", which is simply how many WA nations are endorsing the WA Delegate divided by the total WA members in the region, also recorded as a percent (the remaining percent is considered "unused resources" or "potential resources", and the region's delegate is producing influence at full potential if all of its WA members are endorsing him or her). Endorsement balance is calculated by adding both percentages (Endo sat and Endo pro) and dividing by 2 to get an average. This percent is the region's endorsement balance.

Regions with very high or very low endorsement balance outside of the safe zone (below) are more prone to crippling or damaging raids (low) or internal and government issues (high).

(Yes, it was necessary to show a visual. :p )

The safe zone begins at 45% and ends at 85%, as determined by research, leaving a 40% safe zone to move around in, with 60% split on either end.

A region cannot have 100% endorsement saturation without 100% endorsement productivity, and cannot have 100% endorsement productivity without some endorsement saturation. Therefore having 100% of each gives you a 100% endorsement balance, which is well above the safe zone and can lead to constant delegate changes and difficulty to maintain control of the region. Having 100% endorsement productivity, and low saturation, as seen in military occupations and in regions with low endorsement caps, gives you at least 50% endorsement balance, and is well within the safe zone. This safe zone, of course, applies to regions that have executive delegacy enabled.

Now, let's take a look at these regions I analyzed just after last update. They will be listed as shown in each graph, ordered by region size to remain consistent. The regions are the Association of Imperialism, The Republic Nations, The Union, and The World Alliance, listed as AoI, The RN, The Union, and World Alliance.

I would like to focus mainly on the middle two regions; AoI and World Alliance is there for comparison purposes. Also, assume that these regions are founderless if they aren't already.

Cast your vote now! Which region do you think would be harder to occupy should the founder not be present? The answer may surprise you.

First, let's look at the number of WA nations each region has in relation to each other.

As one may be able to determine, the amount of WA nations in each region is not proportional to the total population when comparing the regions:

(# of WA nations divided by total region population, as a percentage)

With this in mind, we can see how efficient each region is in producing endorsements on their delegate.

The World Alliance has reached 70% of their endorsement (output) potential, with only 30% of their resources not being used towards their region's defense. In comparison, we can see that The Republic Nations is using only 22.2% of their potential, which when comparing with the Association of Imperialism (who has only a few more WA nations), is very low. 78% of their resources are not being used to defend their region, as endorsing the delegate is neither encouraged nor mandatory. Now, time to compare with endorsement saturation:

As a note, low percentages are expected for endorsement saturation, especially in regions with endorsement caps; however that is not to say that lower percentages are necessarily the best for that region.

The World Alliance seems to take the lead in both endorsement productivity and endorsement saturation. In addition, they have 1 more WA nation than The Union, of which only have 10 out of 80 nations.

The lowest endorsement saturation goes to The Republic Nations, most likely due to the fact that endorsing anyone is not encouraged nor compulsory, and the low endorsement productivity the region produces. The Association of Imperialism has 5.16%, due to enforcing a static endorsement cap that does not adjust with the region's "endorsement inflation", or the increase of endorsements on the delegate over time. The concept is similar to real world economics; minimum wage must be adjusted over time as inflation rises. In this case, the "pay" is regional influence, "purchased" by endorsements.

No surprises here. AoI has a higher amount of WA nations, and therefore more regional influence. However, if you compared The World Alliance to similar sized regions with a lower endorsement saturation, you'd notice that The World Alliance has a significant advantage in total regional influence. The higher endorsement saturation is, the faster the total regional influence rises, leading to inflation, in which it is significantly harder to raid the region... if the region is in the "safe zone" for endorsement balance.

And now the truth is revealed. The only region in the safe zone is The World Alliance. This means that if the founder were to cease to exist, it would be harder to raid that region than those outside of the safe zone. Yes, The World Alliance clearly has less endorsements on their delegate, but they also have large reserves of influence spread out amongst their members, and enjoy a 70% endorsement productivity. If a nation became delegate of the Association of Imperialism after elections, with such a low endorsement saturation and Endo cap, if the founder were to CTE removing the delegate would be near impossible. In fact, the delegate has 78 SPDR, while the second most in the region is 19 SPDR. The delegate could wait until the end of his or her term and reign terror on the region, significantly damaging or even destroying it, with or without a founder. AoI could easily get to the safe zone by increasing the endorsement cap, or simply adjusting it for inflation by keeping it at 15%-20% of the delegate's endorsements. This would ensure that it could not be raided as easily as it's former incarnation, the Coalition of Freedom, who had the same endorsement cap and population size.

In conclusion, the higher a region's total SPDR, the more secure the region is, if proper adjustments are made to stay within the safe zone. Each region needs to properly adjust for influence and endorsement inflation, to maintain a proper endorsement balance to ensure that the region is as secure and efficient as possible. In the end, if you enjoy a large enough military force, each of these regions are just as easy to raid; however those that are prepared for an invasion can easily use internal and external aid alike to easily take back their region should it be raided, leading to a more secure founderless region that takes more effort to both raid and destroy.

I would appreciate any relevant questions, comments, criticism, or advice.
Last edited by Nephmir on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Oh yes- when I've developed this theory well enough I'm going to make a dispatch out of it. So relevant feedback and criticism welcome.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Land filled with People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:59 pm

You didn't really comment on The Union, but you should probably remove it from your graphics given it's not really a "normal" region (and thus not great for comparison). At the time you've taken the data, it's flooded with NS++ puppets, and in the final stages of a defence.

KaelThas Quilor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby KaelThas Quilor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 pm

I think you want to check your math again, on the percentages. I could be wrong, but check it.
The Main Nation of the Player also known as Cerian Quilor. I am still Cerian the player, just with a different Main.
The Bruce wrote:I sometimes suspect that Cerian Quilor is here to harvest the tears of young, ambitious nations.

Cormac Stark wrote:my opinion of me, as usual, is the only one that matters. :p
Attorney General, Republic of Europeia
Captain in the Europeian Republican Navy
Citizen, The New Inqusition

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Yes, the percent endorsements graph has right numbers...on the wrong bars :P I ran the math, they appear to simply be shifted over one. I didn't check to see if the error was carried forward anywhere - But 11/25 is certainly 44%, and not above fifty :P
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Ah, the percentages are correct, it seems I forgot to put them in the correct order by region. :P Will fix in a sec.

Land filled with People wrote:You didn't really comment on The Union, but you should probably remove it from your graphics given it's not really a "normal" region (and thus not great for comparison). At the time you've taken the data, it's flooded with NS++ puppets, and in the final stages of a defence.

I noticed that, but a little too late- right after I finished working on the OP. I just left it rather than replace it.

My original goal was to analyze all of the GCRs... but then I realized that that'd take awhile. :blush:
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Benjamin Henrikson
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benjamin Henrikson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Very nice theory! :hug:
Founder of New Madrigal

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Nephmir wrote:Ah, the percentages are correct, it seems I forgot to put them in the correct order by region. :P Will fix in a sec.

Land filled with People wrote:You didn't really comment on The Union, but you should probably remove it from your graphics given it's not really a "normal" region (and thus not great for comparison). At the time you've taken the data, it's flooded with NS++ puppets, and in the final stages of a defence.

I noticed that, but a little too late- right after I finished working on the OP. I just left it rather than replace it.

My original goal was to analyze all of the GCRs... but then I realized that that'd take awhile. :blush:

I'm not going to run all the math, but make sure that whatever got off didn't carry forward into later graphs, eh? If it's just a translation error while making the graphs, no problem, but if the numbers themselves were shifted....

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Edited.

WA Nation Percentage isn't used to calculate anything, it was only there to compare with the previous population graph (thankfully :p ). But I am actively checking the others as we speak, just in case, and any error will be corrected right away.

I originally hand-wrote the results onto a piece of paper by graph, and the regions are ordered differently on the paper, so they're correct, I just accidentally kept the same format as the draft paper. I wanted to get this done while the data was still fresh, so I rushed it a little.

Edit: All graphs are indeed correct!
Last edited by Nephmir on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Now, I'll argue a bit of semantics here as a raider, not a number-cruncher :P

How hard you are to raid is simply a factor of raw endo-count, and more specifically, how close we can get to that. If you've got 200 endos on the delegate, the cap is 15, and we're assuming the sleeper has only reached the cap, and not made it into a position where they can exceed it, that region's safe. Even if they're in a position to exceed it, the difference is still likely 20 or so, which requires a well-planned and organized update. If you have more than 3-4, or on an exceptionally good night for us, 7-8, you're safe from tags (as they move in fresh). If you've got more than 20 or so, it's less likely we'll just jump in. IMHO, if you can achieve about a 30, 35 endo lead over the second person in the region, you're golden. That'd be an exception number of raiders for one update. The thing to look out for there would be people who can't make the update moving in and endorsing the sleeper, narrowing that lead, over the course of a week or so (usually easiest achieve by working with other old members to withdraw endorsements from people as necessary - in one region I live in, this is used to keep a 3-4 endo lead between the old guard and the delegate, and a 10-15ish one between newbies and the delegate).

What you're more talking about seems to be a raid defined as an action where a region is emptied out and a refound is attempted - which I'd argue "raid" in general is a poor term for, as it's merely a subsection of the whole. Point being, you could have optimal endorsement saturation, but if you only have 4 people, or if a nice sleeper is on the top end of that number, you're still quite vulnerable to a raid, and to tell people otherwise is a bit misleading. Not everyone aims to empty regions out one by one, and spend months refounding them.

...which, granted, you mentioned briefly...

But point is, a well-organized group can cause a lot of damage, even split a community, even if the region would technically take two years to refound (assuming maximum resistance). Being safe from that is by no means truly being safe ;)
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

KaelThas Quilor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby KaelThas Quilor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Raid is about capturing a region. An aggressive refounnding, imposed regime change or a serious coup is the phenomenon endorsement saturation is about.

Which isn't to say this isn't a useful study of the phenomenon, but as Souls said, it isn't protection from 'raids' per se.
The Main Nation of the Player also known as Cerian Quilor. I am still Cerian the player, just with a different Main.
The Bruce wrote:I sometimes suspect that Cerian Quilor is here to harvest the tears of young, ambitious nations.

Cormac Stark wrote:my opinion of me, as usual, is the only one that matters. :p
Attorney General, Republic of Europeia
Captain in the Europeian Republican Navy
Citizen, The New Inqusition

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Nephmir wrote:My original goal was to analyze all of the GCRs... but then I realized that that'd take awhile. :blush:

That would be very interesting. Maybe try it out with just the five feeders if you have the time?

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:26 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Now, I'll argue a bit of semantics here as a raider, not a number-cruncher :P

How hard you are to raid is simply a factor of raw endo-count, and more specifically, how close we can get to that. If you've got 200 endos on the delegate, the cap is 15, and we're assuming the sleeper has only reached the cap, and not made it into a position where they can exceed it, that region's safe. Even if they're in a position to exceed it, the difference is still likely 20 or so, which requires a well-planned and organized update. If you have more than 3-4, or on an exceptionally good night for us, 7-8, you're safe from tags (as they move in fresh). If you've got more than 20 or so, it's less likely we'll just jump in. IMHO, if you can achieve about a 30, 35 endo lead over the second person in the region, you're golden. That'd be an exception number of raiders for one update. The thing to look out for there would be people who can't make the update moving in and endorsing the sleeper, narrowing that lead, over the course of a week or so (usually easiest achieve by working with other old members to withdraw endorsements from people as necessary - in one region I live in, this is used to keep a 3-4 endo lead between the old guard and the delegate, and a 10-15ish one between newbies and the delegate).

Indeed, this theory does not take reinforcing into account heavily, or update raids for that matter; this is mostly referring to internal coups, rebellions, stealth raids, etc., and how the WA Delegate uses their powers.

However, that's not to say it doesn't take it into account at all. If Defenders had as many active members as Raiders, and liberations were more frequent, the safety of the region would not just rely on the endorsement count that the delegate has; Regional Influence reserves caused by a surplus of sleepers and endorsement saturation would also matter. It would be very strategic should Raiders have competition again, but right now Raiders are enjoying running through regions unopposed, hence none of this matters to Raiders as of right now.

This theory isn't an "all you need to survive" step by step guide, it's part of the three most important factors to securing a region, with the other two being endorsement count on the delegate and sleeper placement, both of which I will incorporate with this theory once I get this part of it fully developed (sleeper analysis would take a more substantial amount of time and I'm still looking into it).

What you're more talking about seems to be a raid defined as an action where a region is emptied out and a refound is attempted - which I'd argue "raid" in general is a poor term for, as it's merely a subsection of the whole. Point being, you could have optimal endorsement saturation, but if you only have 4 people, or if a nice sleeper is on the top end of that number, you're still quite vulnerable to a raid, and to tell people otherwise is a bit misleading. Not everyone aims to empty regions out one by one, and spend months refounding them.

...which, granted, you mentioned briefly...

But point is, a well-organized group can cause a lot of damage, even split a community, even if the region would technically take two years to refound (assuming maximum resistance). Being safe from that is by no means truly being safe ;)

Okay, I probably should have referred to that as an "Invasion", as is the correct term, as "Raid" is now mostly associated with tag raiding and/or region crashing.

If your region has four WA members, with 100% endorsement saturation, that would mean that there are three natives to your one sleeper, each with three endorsements. Thanks to "Defender's Advantage", as I like to call it, (where the oldest member in the region gets the delegacy in an event of a tie), a native will hold the delegacy position.

However, as I briefly mentioned in the introduction, this theory is based around when Delegate Elect and Regional Officers become features; so you would also need to take into account that the other natives with equal endorsements and influence gain rates would also have Regional Officer access, and could defend their region should the delegate fail to do so; not to mention that the delegate could, in theory, make him or herself a regional officer as well, in case he or she loses power as Delegate.

This isn't even to mention the long term changes of the Custodian and Reformation SC Proposals, or Liberations, for that matter.

It is my solid belief that these changes to Gameplay will completely transform what is and isn't important in regional security. Soon, it won't be a matter of just how many endorsements you have on the delegate, but a deeper political side will have to be won as well. Buying time in order to pass a Reformation, Custodian, Liberation, and launch internal and external resistance is crucial in defending a region, and to buy that time and properly defend the region, each region needs to control not only who has the most endorsements, but where the influence goes and how much goes to those places.

To sum it up,
KaelThas Quilor wrote:Raid is about capturing a region. An aggressive refounnding, imposed regime change or a serious coup is the phenomenon endorsement saturation is about.

Which isn't to say this isn't a useful study of the phenomenon, but as Souls said, it isn't protection from 'raids' per se.

Yes, currently that isn't all that matters, but in the future, this will be what matters; balancing out influence gain will be the key to defending your region from attack; previously, endorsement saturation did not matter in the Game Created Regions, if you could keep nations low the chance of a coup was minimal while a small administration held power. However, after the first change, or "Influence in Feeders/Sinkers", The North Pacific saw how endorsement saturation could also help prevent a delegate from going rouge and launching a coup the region, even if outside help was imported.

Perhaps a better name for this would have been "The Future of Regional Security: The Economics of Endorsements".

Consular wrote:
Nephmir wrote:My original goal was to analyze all of the GCRs... but then I realized that that'd take awhile. :blush:

That would be very interesting. Maybe try it out with just the five feeders if you have the time?

That would be interesting, given that the Pacific has had a strict Endo cap and no delegacy change for several years, while The North Pacific actively encourages high endorsement saturation levels.

The longest and hardest part will be creating a tool that is capable of analyzing the GCRs without exceeding the API rate limit, but after that it's easy. I've already begun working on a GCR calculator, but I might not be able to finish it until this summer, maybe around April or May.

I will, however, analyze different (and more) UCRs in the future, perhaps comparing five at once instead of four. Some regions I really want to analyze are 10000 Islands, NationStates, and as of current The Atheist Empire.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 am

Really enjoyed the read
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Of course, that's assuming these changes ever actually make their way on to the field :P

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Little Sealand
Secretary

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Little Sealand » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Do you plan on making the calculator public in the future?
Little Sealand
Waffle loving nation of 800 million

Proud citizen of TWP, TP, and TEP

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:43 pm

I'll post an analysis/comparison of 5 different regions sometime next week, here in this thread, with more evidence to support my theory and in hopes of more feedback (I appreciate the feedback thus far, I am indeed listening to it and working on it). I'll include some sleeper info in this one as well, as well as take into account the number of endorsements on the delegate.

Little Sealand wrote:Do you plan on making the calculator public in the future?

Yes. But not until I've gotten rid of all of the bugs I can find and have made it as user-friendly as possible. I don't plan on actively supporting it after I've put it out there, especially considering its current form is an excel spreadsheet. I'll likely release it to select individuals first to test it out and get feedback, then post it in the technical forum and a dispatch late this year and/or when I feel that it is ready, hopefully as a website and not a spreadsheet (though my web coding knowledge is greatly limited, so no promises there). Since I don't plan on actively supporting it, I want to make sure I also include stats that may be crucial in the future based on expected game mechanic changes, hence this theory of endorsement economics.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Little Sealand
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Little Sealand » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Nephmir wrote:I'll post an analysis/comparison of 5 different regions sometime next week, here in this thread, with more evidence to support my theory and in hopes of more feedback (I appreciate the feedback thus far, I am indeed listening to it and working on it). I'll include some sleeper info in this one as well, as well as take into account the number of endorsements on the delegate.

Little Sealand wrote:Do you plan on making the calculator public in the future?

Yes. But not until I've gotten rid of all of the bugs I can find and have made it as user-friendly as possible. I don't plan on actively supporting it after I've put it out there, especially considering its current form is an excel spreadsheet. I'll likely release it to select individuals first to test it out and get feedback, then post it in the technical forum and a dispatch late this year and/or when I feel that it is ready, hopefully as a website and not a spreadsheet (though my web coding knowledge is greatly limited, so no promises there). Since I don't plan on actively supporting it, I want to make sure I also include stats that may be crucial in the future based on expected game mechanic changes, hence this theory of endorsement economics.

So if all goes well, we can expect this to come out late this year, preferably as a website.

Do you think this will change the raiding game at all?
Little Sealand

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm

I think native delegates and governments would get more use out of it than Raiders. Especially since I believe that most prominent Raider and Defender organizations already know, for example, how much of a region's influence it takes to password protect a region, they just don't advertise that information as they want to keep it for themselves, or from fear that giving away too many secrets will result in the admins changing how influence works just to even things out again. If an admin decides to tweak one of the formulas, everything you already know is useless.

There's a widening gap between new players and old players, since most old players aren't willing to pass down what they've learned, whether from fear of spies or previously mentioned reasons; rather, they keep it all secret for their own organization's gain, only releasing a basic, vague idea or guideline for other regions to follow. I hope that this tool will help teach regions how to properly defend themselves, and my hopes are that by releasing it it will help teach natives and new players alike how it all works, without the need for reliance on an organization or using a crutch, and help build a bridge across the abyss that is killing gameplay since influence was first implemented. By giving out an interactive tool and mass-educating the masses on how influence and endorsements work in securing a region (whether by raiding or defending it), everyone will have a chance to learn how the game mechanics work... meaning that anyone and everyone has a chance to compete with other organizations and regions, leveling the playing field, and (hopefully) restoring pre-influence gameplay while still having influence in place to prevent instant regional destruction (which is what influence was aiming to fix).
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Assuming, of course, that all your formulas are accurate and they don't change things up on you as well :P

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Trick Shot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trick Shot » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I would not be surprised if he markets it to both sides and the formulas aren't right leading to chaos in the assumption regions will depend on it...I dont see regions depending on it though 8)
Festavo Montresor-Stark
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris | Sergeant of The Black Hawks
Raiding like it should be: Sleepers, Griefing and Fun
Marelius wrote:You got Festavo'd

Revall wrote:Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat

Nuke wrote:But can you really be more dangerous than Festavo? Now that guy is a real fucking OG.

Valrifell wrote:God dammit Fest, you think too much!

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Assuming, of course, that all your formulas are accurate and they don't change things up on you as well :P

Yes. That is why I need to make sure I have everything correct before I release it. Topics like this one also help me decide what is relevant and what isn't, thanks to valuable advice, criticism, and input from others.

Edit: Also most of the formulas are like update tools; it doesn't find an exact number, rather it finds an accurate number. I can adjust for variance as much as possible, but in the end it is still just an estimate (IE, the "updates until password protect" formula I created based around recorded data).
Last edited by Nephmir on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Little Sealand
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Little Sealand » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 pm

That is an extremely respectable stance and post you made there Nephmir, but like you said, one small tweak throws everything out the window, you said you wernt planning on activly supporting it after it came out, (which I can understand why), so who would you trust/entitle the mission of managing and changing, (which, seeing as youll take the better part of the year, would be abnormally time consuming) the algorithm when an admin comes along and changes the influence analogticmy thing?
Sirry for the lack of a better word, Im no code monkey.
Last edited by Little Sealand on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Sealand

Khronion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Khronion » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:08 pm

If he publishes the algorithms or makes the tool open source, barring fundamental changes to the way the influence system works, it should be (relatively) trivial to determine the new values, though data collection may be painstaking.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay