NATION

PASSWORD

Osiris Oracle

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jakker Loves Rawr
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

September 2015 Issue

Postby Jakker Loves Rawr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 am

September 2015 Issue

Interview with Tim-Opolis, Arch-Chancellor of the Founderless Regions Alliance

Jakker: In your opening speech as Arch-Chancellor, you mention that FRA’s current image needs improving because of “outdated or simply inaccurate stigma that continues to float around as either lingering paranoia or intentional misinformation by factions that might not be too amiable to us.” Which perceptions of the FRA are incorrect?

Tim: Honestly, most of them. Generally speaking, the three most common criticisms you'll find in regards to the FRA are that we draw troops away from the militaries of our member regions, that we seem to have a reputation for constantly infiltrating regions, and that we're saturated with deadweight regions. The first one of those is just silly, to be honest, with great examples such as the Rejected Realms Army and the Lazarene Liberation Army demonstrating that our member regions have their own very active military forces with none of those troops then rushing to apply into the FRA Rangers. On the front of infiltration, it's funny really. Most of the criticisms on that come from the Imperialists. Even if rumors are true, pot meet kettle. I'm not really sure how this is still floating around given there has been no, to my knowledge, recent occurence of the FRA actively infiltrating and trying to influence a region, and I welcome folks to come argue with me on that if they really want to. Finally, in terms of supposed deadweight regions, this is simply overplayed. Many of the regions cited still have incredibly dedicated and active members that contribute to the alliance consistently, and I don't see why we need to remove regions that contribute to the alliance, regardless of size. As for the actually dead regions, I assure you steps are being taken in those cases.

Jakker: Do you feel like the FRA is still needed in NS to continue its original purpose? As you said, several member regions have their own defender army that some would argue is more active than the FRA. What value does the FRA still give to a member region nowadays?

Tim: Absolutely. The Founderless Regions Alliance was never founded to be just a military organization, and I think that the benefits of FRA membership, while still having military components, extend past that. To quote former Arch-Chancellor Joe Bobs " The FRA was originally founded partly as a Defender organization, [and] partly as a non-military body with an aim of ensuring the success, vibrancy and development of its member regions". Many of our more famous recent accomplishments, afterall, have been off the field successes such as the annual Defender Awards and the more recently introduced FRAvision, something I hear your moves are well known in. While the value of the FRA Rangers is everpresent, both in our prowess on the battlefield and our abilities in training new Defenders, I would like to think that the FRA provides plenty of Regional Support as well. Whether it's an already existing member region, a prospective member, or just a region that would like assistance, we have a group of experienced individuals that can assist in anything from setting up a Constitution for the first time, to giving tips on forum set-up, to help in setting up recruitment for the region. Furthermore, with my term, I'm looking much more into the cultural side of things, particularly in the establishment of cultural avenues between our various member regions and allowing the FRA to not only serve as a way to benefit our member regions but as a network for cultural interaction with other regions.

Jakker: What was your and other FRA members first reaction when they heard about Wibblefeet being a TNI plant? What has been the effect of this reveal to the organization?

Tim: Can't speak for the rest of the lads, though I imagine many of them have made their opinions heard quite well. In my case, I'd say I was primarily shocked, and to an extent impressed. To pull off so lengthy an operation is quite a feat, so that of course had to be noted. Aside from that though, yeah, shock. It's never fun discovering a plant, and seeing one as well rooted as Wibblefeet hit pretty hard. As to the effects of the reveal, I'd like to think we're still in alright shape. There was a lot of stuff accessed, but we're still here, we're still kicking, and we'll keep going.

Jakker: What made you decide to want to be Arch-Chancellor? What would be your ideal impact on the FRA?

Tim: I'd been Vice Chancellor for a while, I think three or four terms, and had seen a lot of stuff come and go, with a lot of good ideas proposed. Knowing that Guy wasn't really feeling another term, I thought that I'd like to try my hand at it and see if I could pull some successes out using both the ideas many prior Arch-Chancellors had come in with as well as some of my own.

As for ideal impact on the FRA, hopefully I can leave us in a better state by the end of my term than we are at the start. For me, at least, I'd like to see the aformentioned cultural events hit it off well, as well as any potential Regional Development that we end up engaging in. Aside from that, it's the traditional stuff of finding new prospective member regions and continuing to ensure that Defenders keep winning on the battlefield.

Jakker: Thomas was elected as the Vice Chancellor of the FRA, yet he is WA immobile in Lazarus. You recently criticized someone who doesn’t update for being an “armchair defender.” How do you see Thomas’ role playing out in the FRA? Can he still give FRA what they need without mobility?

Tim: As just a slight clarification, the Vice-Chancellor is appointed by the Arch-Chancellor without any sort of election procedure going on. However, to answer your question, I think he can absolutely offer what I thought he'd offer when I appointed him. My personal definition of Armchair Defenders are those people who have it as an alignment but only ever use it for political purposes rather than showing up during update where it really counts. I don't think anybody can argue that Benevolent Thomas has made massive impacts during updates, so I don't think his current state of immobility makes him any less qualified for the job.

He's someone with a lot of ideas, and a lot of hunger for activity and progress. Two things I'm certain that he'll do with his position are ensure that I continue working for a better FRA even if it involves openly challenging what I'm doing, and use all the resources that he does have available to him to work for the betterment of both the FRA and our member regions. BT is one of the most dedicated players I've ever encountered in Gameplay, and I have zero doubts that he can give the FRA what it needs.

Jakker: Do the FRA plan of collaborating with other defender groups? How has communication been so far?

Tim: I think it's a given that the FRA is collaborating with other defender groups. It's no secret that Defending these days generally operates through the same channels. So yeah, we're absolutely collaborating with the other defender groups and have a great working relationship with them. I'd like to think that communication has been quality, and will continue to be quality.

*During this interview, a liberation attempt of Japan was attempted when the region was occupied by DEN. The attempt was unsuccessful.

Interview with Benevolent Thomas, Radical Fenda Attack Helicopter

Jakker: You were very active during updates for some time. What made you decide to become WA immobile?

Thomas: A bit of a burn out. Unlike an invader who gets to pick and choose when they update, I had to be constantly vigilant which only meant missing updates when I was at work. Doing any activity as much as I did defending/updating would cause one to tire of it. I've always known that I could just about walk into any position I want anywhere I want in the realm of the GP-sphere. As soon as Funkadelia resigned, I knew I was the natural choice for Grandee Secretary and walked into the role. I assume I will be Lazarus' choice for delegate come next election cycle as well, I just need to decide if I want to do it or not.

Jakker: You were just named the Vice-Chancellor of FRA. How do you plan on contributing when your WA is immobile in Lazarus?

Thomas: I did not join the FRA government so I could run their defending operations. I joined because I have an agenda for the Alliance and I intend to push it as hard as possible from my Office.

Jakker: A couple of months ago, you made a post in GP that included this sentiment: “I'm just so sick of constantly being judged. My activity and know-how has gotten me much praise over the past few years, but its also forced me to defend myself and my actions constantly.” Can you talk more about this feeling? Is it because of you as a player or because of your actions? Is Gameplay too conservative?

Thomas: I've summarized my career as "damned if I do; damned if I don't" and its still accurate to this day. NS is a political game and R/N/D is no exception. Of course, I am also part of GP, so I am too part of the problem. As a player, I draw more attention towards myself because of my activity and my willingness to skirt around accepted defender norms. For a while there I was feeling very used by the rest of defenderum. I was relied on to basically run the whole shebang (updates, liberations, ext) and yet my methods were being judged by those who weren't actively contributing to the cause. Its alright now though. It is my inner circle running the show now. Its the players I've trained who are running updates now. I've won the defender power struggle and the results can be seen by those who are actually watching.

Jakker: What is your reaction to Sev returning to raiding and Ayvari, formally Xoriet, becoming a raider? From my time in NS, I have seen more defenders become raiders than vice versa. Why do you think that is?

Thomas: I uh... I actually didn't know that Ayvari was Xoriet. I thought she was taking a break from GP. I guess that explains why she left my defender influence-cabal skype room. She told me it was because of Sev's departure from defending put her in an uncomfortable position... this hurts a bit to be honest. Sev and I still get on well enough when we chat and he even told me personally when he was making his switch. I naturally approve of his switch because he is quite the friendly acquaintance of mine and I'm not an asshole. I do consider myself closer to Xoriet though, so I'm bummed she didn't tell me anything.

Defenders are more likely to switch because we're nearly as hypocritical as conservative christian parents and people get fed up with our constant crap. If anything, invaders are a tad overly trusting. In defenderum you first have to prove that you're trustworthy, then you have to prove your worth, and if you slip up ever-so-slightly, you instantly lose the trust you've spent months/years building. How many invaders hate each other? Just Cora hating people and people hating Cora? Guess how many defenders hate me and how many defenders I hate? Its gross.

Jakker: There was a recent debate on the GP forum about R/D. Where do you feel it stands right now? What is needed more for R/D to be strong: raiders or defenders? Does activity directly correlate with R/D being strong or is it more about the quality of the raids/defenses?

Thomas: It stands exactly where it was in 2012. You've got invaders wreaking havoc anywhere they can (which now includes regions with passwords and founders) with only a small band of defenders to consistently combat the threat. Its entirely possible that natives hate invaders more now than they did in 2012, but they can't be arsed to help out unless they're personally invested with the operation (ie Paradoxia). Some of our greatest talent came from those who were formerly victims of invasions who wished to prevent their tragedy from happening to others. A disconnect has developed in that natives view defenders just being in it for the gameplay. Defenders are you. We are on the side of the natives, we are the natives. I've seen R/D and I've seen R/N/D; really, it should be R/ND.

Other people are waiting for the absolution of responsibilities which was falsely promised by the GamePlay summit. Several of the proposed ideas give natives more tools in which to look after themselves which would hopefully injure, if not kill tag raiding. You kill the tagging, you bring invaders back to a hit-and-run style of gameplay where invaders choose to take a single region every few updates with a well coordinated attack and then leave after a short while (maybe after embassies get closed). ERN used to run these types of operations back when I was just a TITO grunt. Of course, invaders would still have the option to pile into oblivion and grief when they choose to. I think each invasion mattered more when both sides only had one or a few chances to get it right per update. Switching cheapens invasions and as a result they cheapen defenses as well. If both sides are affected, then it means that GP itself is cheapened.

Jakker: What is something that raiders could learn from defenders? What is something that defenders could learn from raiders?

Thomas: Invaders don't have to learn anything. They're winning right now. They're more active and outnumber defenders. Invaders have also won the political battle as its more acceptable to be at-least independent if not fully invader than it is to be a moral defender. If anything, cooler themes. Please [violet] deliver us a more interesting invader group. I've been a Knight, a Cowboy, a Grey Warden and an Airship Sailor. What are our leading invaders? Not even Nazgul black horsemen, blackened aviaries, MT armies... so disappointing. Defenders have been learning from invaders. We've gotten some unity mojo flowing. Some of us have shown more willingness to be more braggadocio when it comes to our exploits. We've also ditched the notion that any one person represents defenderum as a whole. Large personalities have hurt us for far too long.

Jakker: What has been your greatest accomplishment so far? What do you hope to be your greatest accomplishment once you retire from the game?

Thomas: That is easy. Refounding Australia. Its the most tangible victory I've ever been a part of. A dying region reborn and thriving. Years after I leave this game, I want people who have never played with me to know my exploits enough to grin when my name is mentioned. If I go down as one of the great players of this game, then I'll be happy. Why else do it, right?

Jakker: What is next for BT? Do you have any long term goals for yourself in NS?

Thomas: I've played NS long enough to know that long-term plans never pan out. I'm Vice-Delegate of Lazarus for a few more weeks and I'm Vice-Chancellor of the FRA for a few months. I don't plan on planning any further ahead than that.

Interview with Charles Cerebella, King of Albion

Jakker Loves Rawr is on a quest to interview Osiris' allies and embassied regions. Next up is Albion...

Jakker: Albion has a gaming tournament coming up soon. Care to share more about it and how to get involved?

Charles: Indeed, we do! It's currently in full swing with our Knight Interior Bert leading the way in organising it. He's planned loads of different games for it, free ones, browser ones and proper ones so he's the best person to speak to. I think he's been going around embassies to keep people up to date on what is going on.

Jakker: Albion made headlines when they altered their gameplay alignment to Mercenary. Cam you talk about how the change is going for the region?

Charles: It's going well I think. To be honest, there is not much difference at all internally in the region. What the move did was simply bring our external policy more in line with what the region is about anyway. It is obviously a fair change from the outside though. Things like this gaming tournament are more where we want to be heading with our foreign policy relations so it is good to see it going on.

Jakker: What are some awesome aspects of Albion that people may not know about?

Charles: Um, I guess perhaps our roleplays that we have going on. We might be a medieval themed region but we have all kinds of stuff of different types going on, from modern demi-gods through to ancient tribes with magic, to future galactic civilizations. It's an area where even I've barely even dipped my toes xD

Jakker: What is your vision for Albion’s future?

Charles: Onwards and upwards! We want to keep providing new things for our citizens to get involved in and new opportunities for people to get to us, and for us to get to know others, from all across NS.

Jakker: What are your thoughts on the relationship between Osiris and Albion?

Charles: We go back a fair way now and have always been pretty good friends on the whole. We have our shared map (though I don't know if you guys still use it or not) and have a strong history of military cooperation so I'd love to see us doing more RP and raiding together soon :D

Jakker: What would be the coolest Osiris-Albion joint event ever?

Charles: Oooo. Tough one. It'd have to involve pillaging, magic, hookers and blackjack.
Last edited by Jakker Loves Rawr on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deadeye Jack
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadeye Jack » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:20 am

This was an interesting set of interviews, especially the one of BT, because I always love it when he gets opinionated. Even still, no one should bother giving an armchair defender the time of day :p
Last edited by Deadeye Jack on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ayvari
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2015
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Ayvari » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:45 am

Deadeye Jack wrote:This was an interesting set of interviews, especially the one of BT, because I always love it when he gets opinionated. Even still, no one should bother giving an armchair defender the time of day :p

He's a special armchair defender! :p
Former/Retired Sergeant ~*~ The Black Hawks ~*~ Also known as Xoriet
Severisen wrote:You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Northern Chittowa wrote:If you look at those who have made names for themselves in this game, they are those who have stood up to defenders on an equal footin and actually beaten them on a tactical level...Those are the ones who will be remembered and indeed revered in history.
Syberis Montresor-Isaraider: There should be no distinction between a good raider and a good member of the GP community.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:15 am

Deadeye Jack wrote:This was an interesting set of interviews, especially the one of BT, because I always love it when he gets opinionated. Even still, no one should bother giving an armchair defender the time of day :p

People still listen to me and i've been glued to my armchair so long i wear knickers on my cushion.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:22 am

*R/ND

Update: Ayvari/Xoriet and I are better than ever now. Ram's kind of a prick for asking her to keep her switch quiet in my honest opinion. Loligarchy makes him cool in my book again though.

Question: Does being a Vice Delegate in a Sinker right now mean that I've got the moves like Jakker?
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Dr Ivo
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dr Ivo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 am

A great set of interviews. :hug:
Osiris Fraternal Order

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:41 am

*During this interview, a liberation attempt of Japan was attempted when the region was occupied by DEN. The attempt was unsuccessful.

Sassy much, Jakker? :P

If anything, invaders are a tad overly trusting. In defenderum you first have to prove that you're trustworthy, then you have to prove your worth, and if you slip up ever-so-slightly, you instantly lose the trust you've spent months/years building. How many invaders hate each other? Just Cora hating people and people hating Cora? Guess how many defenders hate me and how many defenders I hate? Its gross.

Or maybe the fast rise of Ivo, Sev, and Xoriet is all a massive infiltration plot! /me furiously adjusts tin foil hat

Also, you'd be surprised. Probably still not as many, but there's more grudges than cora v. the world. We just keep distances and learn to work around it professionally :P ...for the rest of them that is.

There was a recent debate on the GP forum about R/D

Pretty sure that statement is literally always true, Jakker xD

continuing to ensure that Defenders keep winning on the battlefield.

hm

Invaders don't have to learn anything. They're winning right now.

Seems there's a disconnect between the Chancellor and Arch-Chancellor? Such a large one seems to have some major policy implications...

deliver us a more interesting invader group... blackened aviaries

WE ARE THE SWOOPING WINGS OF DEATH IN THE NIGHT! FEAR USSSSSS!

...plz?

....anyways, fun set of interviews :P
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Jakker Loves Rawr
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker Loves Rawr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 am

Benevolent Thomas wrote:*R/ND

I apologize for not making that correction initially. The change has been made.

Benevolent Thomas wrote:Question: Does being a Vice Delegate in a Sinker right now mean that I've got the moves like Jakker?

DANCE OFF. WE HAVE A DANCE OFF, FOLKS.
Last edited by Jakker Loves Rawr on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

United RussoAsia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United RussoAsia » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:03 am

Jakker Loves Rawr wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote:*R/ND

I apologize for not making that correction initially. The change has been made.

Benevolent Thomas wrote:Question: Does being a Vice Delegate in a Sinker right now mean that I've got the moves like Jakker?

DANCE OFF. WE HAVE A DANCE OFF, FOLKS.

*popcorn*
Delegate of TWP
Editor-in-Chief of Dass Nachrichten, TWP's official news outlet
Please be nice to the mods. They're here to make your experience better.
DLN unjustly demodded- 9/9/15
Tight pants, tight groupings, like I always say. -Nirvash

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Good interviews!

I particularly enjoyed them one with Charles.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Ayvari
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2015
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Ayvari » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:53 am

Don't look at me, I'm just a peon. ;)
Former/Retired Sergeant ~*~ The Black Hawks ~*~ Also known as Xoriet
Severisen wrote:You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Northern Chittowa wrote:If you look at those who have made names for themselves in this game, they are those who have stood up to defenders on an equal footin and actually beaten them on a tactical level...Those are the ones who will be remembered and indeed revered in history.
Syberis Montresor-Isaraider: There should be no distinction between a good raider and a good member of the GP community.

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:02 am

DANCE OFF. WE HAVE A DANCE OFF, FOLKS. <--- Jakker

Will the usual attire be worn?

Edit to add: quote fail... too zealous in my deletions. Too lazy to fix.
Last edited by Severisen on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

Jakker Loves Rawr
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

October 2015 Issue

Postby Jakker Loves Rawr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 pm

October 2015 Issue

Interview with United RussoAsia, Former Delegate of The West Pacific

Jakker: What is your NS history before TWP?

United RussoAsia: Heh. I don't have a history before TWP. I was born there and I just got involved.

Jakker: Talk about your involvement within TWP before you became delegate. What did you enjoy about TWP during that time?

United RussoAsia: I starting out on the RMB. TWP's RMB is a real experience, different than almost every chat board I've ever seen. That, and the people I met there, was what I liked most about TWP at the time. Eventually, I came into the forum government. Darkesia also had a contest to find candidates for delegate at the time, and I participated.

Jakker: There was a major transitional period in TWP when the “old guard” stepped down and a “new guard” emerged. Can you discuss what was going on through your mind at this time and how you emerged as the succeeding delegate?

United RussoAsia: Well, Darkesia singled out two of us from the contest, myself and Recuecn, as her picks for next delegate. Her first choice was Resu, but he said he would be unable to accept due to RL activity stealing his NS time. (This proved true in later months as he became less and less active throughout my delegacy.) Thus, I was the one who got the seat. I was pretty stoked at the time, although somewhat aggravated with Dark's choices for my guardians. I ended up removing one, losing one, and adding one over my delegacy.

Jakker: What are your thoughts about your delegacy? Do you feel that you were an effective leader?

United RussoAsia: Well, I wish I hadn't gotten the seat right before the summer. It killed the forum government. Had that not happened, I'd probably still be delegate.

Effective leader? Well, I was not as effective as I could have been. When I went to change [the] government, the residents didn't like my ideas. I decided that instead of force it on them(which would have been the 'more effective' move), I was going to let them do what they wanted with it. Of course, before I was criticized for being a dictator by dissolving the inactive government and trying to make a new one, and after I decided to let the citizens do what they wanted, I was criticized for being a weak leader. You can't win in terms of criticism.

Jakker: Elaborate on when you first started considering to coup the region? Why did you decide to hand over your nation to DEN? If you wanted to coup, why not do it yourself?

United RussoAsia: Dissent over my delegacy was rampant within the region, and I knew that I wasn't going to stay in the seat. I was not content to be tied up as a guardian in a region where I was not liked. So I decided that I was leaving, and notified Elegarth that I was leaving the seat to him. I conceived several multiple ideas for leaving, and I chose the 'coup' idea. I had been contacted by Knot and Souls offering support to help me keep the seat. I spoke with Souls about couping and he said he'd talk to the TBH council about it. I spoke to Knot as well, he said he'd talk to DEN. I was going to wait for their responses, but things began to go pear-shaped and I revealed to the region a couple hints about my plan before enacting it early. DEN responded somewhat, TBH(sans souls) did not. Knot asked if he could have the keys to URA to let him at it. I gave them to him because I figured he was better at it than I was. He did roughly what I was going to do, except a couple things. For one, I would not have banjected Ele. I planned on holding to seat for a while, but Ele was my pick for next delegate. Knot said later that this was a miss-click, so I suppose he had roughly the same thought process I did.

Jakker: What were you hoping to achieve from the coup? Did you feel like that goal was accomplished?

United RussoAsia: My main goals were getting TWP activity and members as a parting gift, securing myself new friends and a new home, and getting raiderdom some glory. These were accomplished. But this situation was actually a win-win-win-win when you think about it. TWP logged around 60+ pages of RMB activity during two updates, I believe, and gained lots of publicity and new members. The raiders got publicity and a major hit on their list. The defenders get to capitalize on a feeder that has both been newly revitalized and firmly turned against raiders. And I get a little fame and have a blast doing it. Did the plan seem stupid to the average viewer? Yeah, at the time. I think in retrospect people will realize how much thought was actually put into it and how beneficial it was to the gameplay within the region.

Jakker: Discuss your feelings when your nation was transferred to Cormac and subsequently, the region returned to normality?

United RussoAsia: I was a bit disappointed at the time, but it was going to happen anyhow and the seat couldn't have been held any longer anyway.

Jakker: How do you want your time in TWP to be remembered?

United RussoAsia: The intent was not evil, but I'm sure I'll go down as an infamous character. I don't mind, it'll be pretty fun :p

Jakker: What do you have planned for yourself now post-coup?

United RussoAsia: Oh, the world won't be seeing me as URA for quite a while. I have not, however, disappeared. I'm right under you nose, waiting for the right time to strike.

Tiring of NationStates Again and Again by Jakker Loves Rawr

One of the more common things to see in gameplay is a player retiring from NationStates. While it is one thing for someone to move on from the game because life has gotten in the way, this does not appear to be the standard reason. In my opinion, leaving NationStates often does not leave disappoint for the retiring player, but relief. When searching within the gameplay forum, you’ll find the words “retiring” 134 times, “Retire” 242 times, and “retirement” 410 times. But why are so many seeing retirement as an escape and what makes them run?

Growing tired of NationStates is not a new trend. The topic of retirement has even been discussed several times including Free Press News Service’s post of “How to Retire” viewtopic.php?p=25858089#p25858089 courtesy of Todd McCloud. I spoke with a few players who were all on the cusp of retirement at the time. Here were a few themes I noticed:

People stay in NS even when they don’t like it anymore:

“Some people say NS helped them get through a tough time. Heck, I got into it to goof off during some of my boring courses like physics that I hate. Kind of wish I didn't could have gotten an A- in that course rather than a B+ like for real. If/when NS becomes an addiction and if it isn't an addiction, it surely is a compulsion that's when there is a problem and I've noticed that when I tell myself okay no logging into my nation today it’s easier said than done.”

“‘The Hotel California Mindset’. That's so perfect to call it. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

“One day you see it, you can't help but look. It's a total wreck and it's not safe to be near it, but you'll come back every day from here on out. Why? Because the party was awesome and you still can't figure out how that one train car ended up leaning that way.”

The Gameplay Community can make the game for someone and can break it as well:

“Fun, friendship; in the end, more likely than not, it turns into a tool to be used by players that treat the game as their life.”

“You make some genuine friends, but the rest of them just use you for their own means.”

“Here's a message for anyone who wants to have fun in nationstates. Stay out of the actual interregional politics because all you get is backstabbing.”

“When you're in a position of power in the game people expect you to CREATE activity and invent fun for everyone else.”

Many people take NationStates too seriously:

“When you take a minute and realize exactly what you are playing on, then you realize how the effort, money, and time people put into NationStates is crazy. The core game is nation creation and answering issues every twelve hours.”

“But I was fooling myself. I would do things nobody should rationally do for the sake of an online game.”

“If everyone treated this game with the same perspective, there would be no GCR delegate terms. The politics wouldn't get as hellish or personal, and people wouldn't pay money to grow their little webpage on the site.”

“The politics are made up and no work that you put in matters, The mods are terrible, the gameplay is pay-to-win.”

I took a break from NationStates for a year in mid-2013. For me, those three themes above were evident in my experience. I was taking the game too seriously and placing a lot of pressure on myself to keep activity going in TBH. I lost the motivation to play months before I actually took the break, but I kept going. When a couple of big operations did not succeed, the aftermath crippled me. It was not simply the failure of the operations, but the treatment I received afterwards. It took me a year to actually want to come back.

I am not arguing that putting a lot of time and effort is bad necessarily. It is rather admirable to see what some players have done in the game. But when effort becomes less of a passion and more of a job, this is concerning. When passion of a region becomes personal attacks and drama, who is that helping? And when NationStates morphs into something to escape from rather than something for players to escape to, a self-reflection is required. I am always sad to see a quality gameplayer leave NationStates. It saddens me far more when those players develop hatred for a game they once loved.

Trick Shot wins Pharaoh Election

Trick Shot aka Festavo has been elected the next Pharaoh of Osiris. Running against Ainocra, Trick Shot won the seat in a tie-breaking vote by Election Administrator Detective Figs aka Severisen.

When asked about this, Severisen stated: "It was a really tough decision. Ultimately both candidates had some solid ideas, and drive, to provide the fresh direction Osiris needed. It was really a win-win, I think, for Osiris. I consulted with some people, thought long and hard about it and decided on Festavo. While I'm not saying some voters are more important than others, the list of those who voted for Festavo was quite impressive. He had the support of 4 Pharaohs (Koth, Lord Ravenclaw, and Joshua Bluteisen, Zaolat) as well as 1 Vizier (Jakker). It was by no means an easy decision, and I did not make it lightly. I wish Festavo the best in his term, and Ainocra the best in whatever he decides to do next."
Last edited by Jakker Loves Rawr on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Luxdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxdonia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Congratulations to Trick Shot on his election as the new Osrisan Pharoah. :)

Nice choice Osi.
Last edited by Luxdonia on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Luxdonia
The Chief Administrator and Executive Councillor of Archmont
Join the Archmont Discord server!

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:18 pm

Just when I thought Osiris couldn't possibly get any worse...

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:22 pm

The Silver Sentinel wrote:Just when I thought Osiris couldn't possibly get any worse...

I know. Terrible, right? A guy who's spent a good chunk of his time in Gameplay there and dropped pretty much all other roles in NS for Osiris, delegate!?? A tragedy! Especially since he's active and been trying to drive activity! With the endorsement of several past pharaohs, including a founding member of the OFO, he must be total shit, some 2-bit incompetent idiot. How could we let this happen? He's even likely to pick old, knowledgeable hands for his scribes and vizier where possible!

This can't stand.

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 pm

I see Russo would like to spin his little tantrum into some kind of perverse anti-hero story. :eyebrow:

Dude had potential and it's shame he's chosen to waste it on being /that kind/ of player, but oh well. His path to choose.

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
The Silver Sentinel wrote:Just when I thought Osiris couldn't possibly get any worse...

I know. Terrible, right? A guy who's spent a good chunk of his time in Gameplay there and dropped pretty much all other roles in NS for Osiris, delegate!?? A tragedy! Especially since he's active and been trying to drive activity! With the endorsement of several past pharaohs, including a founding member of the OFO, he must be total shit, some 2-bit incompetent idiot. How could we let this happen? He's even likely to pick old, knowledgeable hands for his scribes and vizier where possible!

This can't stand.

Make assumptions much?

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:

This can't stand.

Make assumptions much?

Those aren't assumptions, it's sarcasm.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Zaolat wrote:
The Silver Sentinel wrote:Make assumptions much?

Those aren't assumptions, it's sarcasm.

Indeed.

You realize the worst Festavo can do to Osi is not improve it? He's never going to coup or anything. Besides all the work he's put in, it'd earn him a pretty big loss of love among his friends. When the worst end of things is "Status Quo Maintained," I think things are in decent shape.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Luxdonia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxdonia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Consular wrote:I see Russo would like to spin his little tantrum into some kind of perverse anti-hero story. :eyebrow:

Dude had potential and it's shame he's chosen to waste it on being /that kind/ of player, but oh well. His path to choose.

URAP did not have any potential: he was just fortunate that he was the beneficiary of a little bit of favouritism from the Old Guard.
The Kingdom of Luxdonia
The Chief Administrator and Executive Councillor of Archmont
Join the Archmont Discord server!

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:07 pm

I feel like Festavo will be a good Pharaoh in Osiris, and has definitely been incredibly dedicated to the region since I appointed him to be my Scribe of War. To claim Osiris is getting worse from this is silly, given the drive, dedication, and general character Festavo has demonstrated in his efforts within Osiris. Consider this yet another former Pharaoh endorsing him.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 am

I think Chester's problem is essentially that he can't move past Festavo. As in, how Fest behaved when he was basically new. See, just as Chester isn't Chester anymore, Festavo has changed a bit as well. If Osiris thinks he is ready for the responsibility then perhaps he is.

That Called the Vlagh
Attaché

Founded: Feb 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby That Called the Vlagh » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:20 am

Luxdonia wrote:
Consular wrote:I see Russo would like to spin his little tantrum into some kind of perverse anti-hero story. :eyebrow:

URAP did not have any potential: he was just fortunate that he was the beneficiary of a little bit of favouritism from the Old Guard.

And exactly how long have you been an active part of TWP's community? Oh, that's right, never.

You have no clue what went into the selection process or how the candidates were evaluated. There was no favoritism. The 'Old Guard' systematically removed themselves from the Influence pool and held many discussions with the new group of Guardians before Darkesia made a final decision. UnitedRusso Asia indeed had (and still has in my opinion) a great deal of potential.

He suffered from a bit too much zeal in his initial activity in the big chair and missed (very) important steps, like keeping your team informed of your plans, but up until his stunt with DEN I believe he only had the best interests of TWP at heart.

It is unfortunate that he thought handing his nation off to an outside group would somehow be an appropriate farewell, but we all make mistakes.
Former administrator of TWP
Former TWP Minister of Justice
Former TWP Minister of Legislative RP
TWP Debating Champion

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:20 am

Consular wrote:I think Chester's problem is essentially that he can't move past Festavo. As in, how Fest behaved when he was basically new. See, just as Chester isn't Chester anymore, Festavo has changed a bit as well. If Osiris thinks he is ready for the responsibility then perhaps he is.

Who? And no, it's not that I don't believe Fest would make a good Pharaoh. Osiris will remain essentially the same. I was kind of hoping Ain would get a shot, and bring Osiris more onto the international stage. But seeing as how I am not a member of Osiris, and really don't have a say in the matter c'est la vie. Congrats to Fest and all that other jazz anyway.

That Called the Vlagh wrote:And exactly how long have you been an active part of TWP's community? Oh, that's right, never.

He was for a few days, but Dark seems to despise RMB spammers, and helped Gradea out the door (by using him to open it 8)).
Last edited by The Silver Sentinel on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay