NATION

PASSWORD

Europeia Embassy

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Founded: Sep 23, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Newcomer’s Perspective, By ahsanne (Brunhilde)

Midway through December, Europeia set out to hear the voices of those newly arrived to the region, to understand their experience. What we got from (now Senator) Brunhilde was beyond anything we could have expected, so we felt the best way to show our appreciation is to distribute this amazing piece to all our friends in the NationStates world. Enjoy. :D

"I won't lie.

I didn't join this game because I wanted to. This whole idea of building a world based around text and roleplay seemed foreign to me. I chided my husband when he asked me to join for being a nerd or a dork. I teased him about being a weirdo and giggled when it made him blush. Sure, I wasn't a massive nerd myself. After all, I've spent the better part of the life that I can remember building computers and playing video games. I scream at the top of my lungs in anger at League of Legends(even, embarrassingly, while my husband was in NS related meetings). Bit hypocritical of me, I know. Though, at the time I didn't care. I was happy where I was and had no intention to change.

Then I started to get pestered. It was insanity. My husband pestered me. My husband relayed other people's pestering from NS like the one I now call my wife, Zenny. I tried to deflect it all with a giggle and a smile. Sure, it was hard seeing that pitiful begging and the adorable faces, but I wanted to be steadfast.. Or maybe just stubborn.

After a while, I finally gave in. It was a... interesting choice. My husband has prepared notes and summaries on people that he has met throughout his years on NationStates. It is... Long... to say the very least. He gave these notes to me with the hope that I would be better prepared than he was when he started. I thought it was a lot, but I read them with the belief that it is better to know what you are walking in to. It took me a while, I won't pretend. It had a lot of information.

My start has been pretty smooth, thankfully. I met someone I enjoy in Zenny, which has led to many more smiles and far more giggling than I initially thought would come in a game that I initially viewed as cut and dry. I discovered that my perception of a community more interested in politics wasn't entirely true. I met people that I came to call friend and found a few regions that I felt at home at. It was... odd, really. I expected people to want to hold everything at an arm's length but the regions I've came to call home have proven such thoughts wrong.

One such region is Europeia.

I joined Europeia exactly one week ago on December 12th, 2014 without knowing the slightest bit about what I'd be getting in to. Sure, I had read the notes claiming that Europeia was a community full of depth in everything from the Judiciary to the Newspaper Industry to the culture to the elected positions but I never believed it would be as it is. I thought it might be decent, sure, but what I saw when I arrived was a community with years upon years of development with players that are so obviously intelligent that you cannot help but be a bit nervous and awed. It was a bit overwhelming. I felt like an ant, looking all of these threads on a wonderfully designed forum. I felt like I could not possibly get comfortable in a place that was so well developed. It was intimidating. Then I met some of the people and explored some of the different areas of the forum.

I realized that my initial assumption was right. Everyone carried themselves with confidence and intelligence. At the same time, things weren't so overbearing that it felt like I was getting the cold shoulder. Quite the opposite, really. I watched as these people bantered and teased each other like old friends. They shared memories and inside jokes that comes only through shared experience. I found myself feeling like I wasn't out of place. Sure, I am still as much of a newbie as ever, but in Europeia being a newbie isn't so bad. I get to learn from people that I can respect and laugh with without feeling like I am being patronized. I feel like Europeia is a place where people stand shoulder to shoulder with the good of the region in mind. Those who show their devotion and desire are respected, as they should be, and it leaves me wanting to do nothing more than to fight for the region that has so warmly accepted me into its ranks.

So, if you ask me what it is like to be new in Europeia I have a pretty simple and straight forward answer:

F***ing awesome."

Senate Growth Brings Activity

This Senate race saw twelve hopefuls chase after the prestigious office, with only eight walking away victorious. To win this election, these candidates would need guts, grits, and some other third thing. To make things even tougher on our candidates, we interviewed many of them in audio format, which you can listen to here. In the end, here were the results, with the winners in bold:
Those of you with sharp eyes may have noticed that Vice-President Malashaan was in this election and won, so shortly after the election, r3naissanc3r was confirmed as the new Vice-President. r3n has a long and distinguished history across the NS world, and we know he will perform this job well. Also shortly after the election, Malashaan was elected Speaker. Malashaan had, until very recently, held the record for most days served in that office, and he is now back on track to reclaiming his title.

Can You Hear Me Now?

As you can probably tell by our last section, we here at Europeia are getting very excited over this new technology we found, called mixlr. It allows us to broadcast ourselves like an internet radio station, and we are loving it. We’ve found uses for it to discuss domestic affairs, foreign affairs, and even game shows.

Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? Well, don’t just take our word for it, here’s what The South Pacific’s Foreign Minister Raven had to say: “I found it rather fun to be honest, it was something rather new for me. I've had skype calls in the past per say but never an experience where I am also being broadcast live to a group of others, some of whom I may not know, let alone recorded. I'd be up to repeat the experience in future if I get a chance to do it, as I think it has the potential to be a good way to open up communication between regions.” Not enough? Here’s TSP Delegate Tsunamy’s opinion: “The content and questions were great and live listening/messaging was really engaging.”

Would you like your region to be featured on a future edition? If so, contact our President, Mousebumples and we can set that up, and have barrels of fun while doing it.

This has been a production of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Europeia. Thank you for reading!

Image Image Image ImageImage
Last edited by Calvin Coolidge on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former President of Europeia

Zenya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zenya » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:40 am

Ayyy my waifu got the top article :D So proud!

Nice update :clap:
~ Comrade Zenny ~

Ambrella
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Ambrella » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Join us for one of our weekend games! We'll be playing Tiny Tanks shortly, at 8pm GMT/3pm EST. You can join in at any time during play.

http://www.multiplayer.gg/

Game: EuroTanks
Password: euro
Sopo, former big wig of Europeia and denizen of Bloopsjooj.

Land filled with People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:59 am

Interesting raid by The ERN last major. Not nearly as interesting as your choice of target though :P

KaelThas Quilor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby KaelThas Quilor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 am

It was at a convenient place in the UD order.
The Main Nation of the Player also known as Cerian Quilor. I am still Cerian the player, just with a different Main.
The Bruce wrote:I sometimes suspect that Cerian Quilor is here to harvest the tears of young, ambitious nations.

Cormac Stark wrote:my opinion of me, as usual, is the only one that matters. :p
Attorney General, Republic of Europeia
Captain in the Europeian Republican Navy
Citizen, The New Inqusition

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm sure it was. Though next time you're raiding invader founded regions, send out invites. It's in your interest ;).

KaelThas Quilor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby KaelThas Quilor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Supreme Union has little or nothing to do with, you know, modern raiders. Its not a raider region, its not an ally of Europeia. Its an RP region.
The Main Nation of the Player also known as Cerian Quilor. I am still Cerian the player, just with a different Main.
The Bruce wrote:I sometimes suspect that Cerian Quilor is here to harvest the tears of young, ambitious nations.

Cormac Stark wrote:my opinion of me, as usual, is the only one that matters. :p
Attorney General, Republic of Europeia
Captain in the Europeian Republican Navy
Citizen, The New Inqusition

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Supreme Union, or The Supreme Union?

The latter, as you point out, is an RP region currently undergoing revitalisation as their recent GP thread states.

The former is founded by Kurosaki (formerly? currently?) of LWU, and had a WFE that, in part, encouraged nations to join LWU.

But, I'm not attacking your choice of target - Europeia doesn't pretend to subscribe to raider unity in the way TBR does. Rather, that there (apparently) wars ongoing between invading and defending groups, and by sending out invites the next time you intend to hit invader founded regions you could no doubt rustle up more than 3 updaters.

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 pm

New Additions to the Government

In early February, then-Vice-President r3naissanc3r announced a long-term Leave of Absence from both Europeia and NationStates due to some unexpected interference from Real Life. As a result of his resignation, President Mousebumples is now working with her third Vice President of the term. Sopo (nation: Ambrella) started the term as Culture Minister but has now taken up the reins as Vice President of Europeia. Relative newcomer (and current Senator) Brunhilde is now in charge of the Ministry of Culture.

In Judicial news, Chief Justice OnderKelkia also recently resigned, citing real life concerns. Former President and Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics has replaced his seat on the bench, being appointed as an Associate Justice. Our seated justices have elected hyanygo to serve as the Chief Justice moving forward.

New Elections

President Mousebumples' term is nearing its end, meaning that the standing period has opened for the new Europeian President, as Mousebumples has announced that she will not be seeking reelection. We've got an exciting election ahead, pitting former President (and current Vice-President) Sopo against rising star (and current Minister of Foreign Affairs) Calvin Coolidge. Sopo is running with another rising star (and current Minister of Interior/Senator) Writinglegend. Calvin, meanwhile, is running with long-time Senate Speaker Drecq (who is also a current Associate Justice).

In addition to the Presidential election, the Citizens' Assembly (a sort of legislative training ground) held elections for its new Chair, as incumbent Calvin Coolidge chose to not seek reelection. The candidates were Ninja Kittens, Vinage Vinage, and Rose Peak. Ninja and Rose are both newcomers, whereas Vinage is our former World Assembly Delegate. In the end, Ninja Kittens won the race.

Cultural Activity

In addition to our weekly region-wide games, we've had lots of cultural events here in Europeia!

Amazing Race

Led by our region's founder, HEM, three teams of four have battled their way through two rounds of Europeian trivia questions, ranging from elections, political parties, and interregional incidents. The teams would then take their answers, use them to create a code, which would then lead them to the next checkpoint. This competition is still ongoing, with only two teams left in the hunt for victory.

Awards Show

The Celebration of Yesteryear, an Awards Show designed to honor the best people, moments, and achievements of 2014 recently ended, with panel discussions, speeches, and games to get people in the part mood. Our entire list of winners can be seen here:
Best Newspaper - The Panda's Pen
Best Newspaper Article - Presidential Debate Results and Analysis, by the E-News Network
Best EBC Article - Faux News: The Election is Canceled
Best Debate - Canada
Most Humorous Thread - Coffee Shop
Best Overall Thread - Friends Always Let Friends Raid Nazis
Best Newcomer - Brunhilde
Best Returning Member - Sopo
Breakout Europeian - Writinglegend
Best Debater - OnderKelkia
Most Respected Member - r3naissanc3r
Most Missed Europeian - Swakistek
Best President - Kraketopia
Best Vice President - Mousebumples
Best Senator - Drecq
Best Chairperson - Mousebumples
Best Minister - Writinglegend
Best Assemblyperson - Notolecta
Best Assistant Minister - Ninja Kittens
Legal Eagle - hyanygo
Best Legislation - Criminal Code
Best Campaign - Malashaan and Mousebumples, by Malashaan and Mousebumples

Valentine's Day

February 14th saw many people in love, searching for love, or simply denying love's existence. Our region tried to appeal to that final group with our "Singles' Awareness Day". Citizens could take part in games, or post personal advertisements in their quest for romance. Many users succeeded, at least in some manner, so we're calling that a success. This event went on a little past Valentine's Day, in the hopes of finding love for all, and just recently closed.

This has been a production of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Europeia. Thank you for reading!

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Dear Friends,

On March 6th, 2015, Europeia will be celebrating its 8th anniversary. You are cordially invited to celebrate with us! Festivities will include games, interviews, stories from eras past, music, and more. Join us on our forums, IRC (#euro), and on our RMB! I look forward to seeing you all there.

Sincerely,
President Sopo of Europeia

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:03 pm

We've begun! Come check out all our stuff here, and we're going to be on mixlr (online radio) on these days, at these EST times (watch for updates):

Saturday, 7th:
4pm Interview with Xoriet

Sunday, 8th:
8pm Interview with Christopher Bishop

Monday, 9th:
8pm Calvin Coolidge hosting Skeptic or Believer

Tuesday, 10th:
6pm - Dramatic Readings with Sopo and Calvin Coolidge

Wednesday, 11th:
8pm - Questions and Answers with Sopo

Ambrella
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Ambrella » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Saturday, March 14th, at 4pm EST/8pm GMT, I have the pleasure of interviewing a handful of notable individuals on EBC Radio:

Charles Cerebella-Fairfax: Former King of Albion, Konig of TNI, King of Balder, JC of UIAF, etc.

Harshhaven: Current Konig of TNI, former Crown Prince, Prince and Ministerpresident.

Joshua IX: Prince of Albion, Duke in TNI, former multiple time Reich Elector and Reich Chancellor.

Mother Hanarii: Current Chief Bard of Albion.

If you have any questions for these individuals or for the entire group, please send them to me via Skype (sopoishere), forum PM (Euro), TG (Ambrella), or during the interview in mixlr chat.

I look forward to our last mixlr event for the Anniversary being the most exciting yet, and I hope many of you can join us.

http://mixlr.com/ebc-radio/
Sopo, former big wig of Europeia and denizen of Bloopsjooj.

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 am

Supreme Chancellors
  • HEM
  • Lethen
  • Mousebumples (Vice-Chancellor)

World Assembly Delegate
  • Mousebumples

Executive
  • President - Sopo
  • Vice-President - Writinglegend
  • Grand Admiral - Kraketopia
  • Foreign Affairs - Calvin Coolidge
  • Interior - Malashaan
  • Culture - Cassy Styles Anumia
  • Communications - Deepest House
  • Attorney General - Cerian Quilor

Legislative
  • Speaker - Malashaan
  • Senators - Anumia, Calvin Coolidge, Drecq, HEM, Kraketopia, McEntire, Raging Zen Master
  • Citizens' Assembly Chair - Rose Peak

Judicial
  • Chief Justice - hyanygo
  • Associate Justices - Drecq, Moronist Decisions, Pope Lexus X

Presidential Election Excitement
The election between Foreign Affairs Minister Calvin Coolidge and Vice-President Sopo was one for the history books as the votes went back and forth so much on Election Day that it literally came down to the final vote in the last half hour. Sopo was elected with Minister of Interior Writinglegend.

The Cabinet proposed by the President was met with harsh critique from the Senate as the questioning carried on for nearly a week, with a few nay votes being thrown around by the time things were all said and done. The approved Cabinet was:
  • Grand Admiral: Kraketopia
  • Foreign Affairs: Calvin Coolidge
  • Interior: Malashaan
  • Culture: Ninja Kittens
  • Communications: Common-Sense Politics
  • Attorney General: Cerian Quilor
A few weeks into the term, Ninja Kittens and Common-Sense Politics had to step down from their positions (both in the Cabinet, and elsewhere) due to real life concerns. Cassy Styles Anumia and Deepest House have been confirmed as Ministers of Culture and Communications, respectively, Pope Lexus X is now Associate Justice, and Rose Peak is now Citizens' Assembly Chair.

Senate Activity
The Europeian Senate prides itself on being an institution dedicated to quality in its output and in its membership, and our by-elections to fill seats opened by mid-term resignations are no exception.

Senator Notolecta had to resign due to real life concerns, and Writinglegend had been elected to Vice-President, so two Senate seats were available, shortly after the Presidential election. The candidates were Drecq, Calvin Coolidge, PaulWallLibertarian42, and Vinage Vinage. Calvin and Drecq had just lost their bid to the Goldenblock, Paul had just returned from a long absence, and Vinage, who had run in the most recent Senate election, took a much more moderate stance on issues than he had previously.

The dominant issues mostly focused on the Vice-Delegate Amendment, along with the Senate Aide program. The election was by no means a landslide, with Drecq and Calvin Coolidge getting elected, Vinage coming in a close second, and Paul bringing up the rear.

Shortly after this election, Senator Brunhilde was forced, due to real life concerns, to resign form the Senate, not having the time to do the role justice, and a by-election was called. Remsol Greyjoy, McEntire and PaulWallLibertarian24 were the candidates. Remsol and McEntire have both served in the Senate before, and had both just recently returned from absences from Europeia, looking to use this opportunity to leverage themselves back into politics, while PaulWall was making a fourth attempt at a seat – but, notably, had moderated his stance on a number of issues, showing a very respectable learning curve on his previous runs.

The dominant issues discussed in the campaign were the proposed Vice-Delegate Amendment, discussion about the nature of diplomatic immunity and if taking non-citizens to court should be a thing, and the ongoing debate about the potential of an Intellecutal Property Law in Europeia, which has been an on-and-off discussion in the Senate for months. None of the candidates came up with any especially bold or innovate takes on the issues at hand, so the question in the minds of the people became one of people's opinion of the candidates themselves. While both Remsol and PaulWall had solid platforms, McEntire's experience in the Senate won the battle for this seat handily.

Europeia Turned Eight!
Soon after the Presidential election, the region turned its attention to another large event, the region's eighth birthday party. The Ministry of Culture set up multiple venues for attendees to entertain themselves, from a spam center, a chat area, games, and several mixlr (audio) interviews and events, which you can listen to here. Notable interviews include former East Pacific Delegate Xoriet, Osiris Pharaoh Tim Stark, and several notables from The New Inquisition and Albion.

The event was great fun and the party lasted well over a week. The festival drew many people to our region, and we greatly look forward to interacting with our friends abroad in NationStates in the very near future.

Europeian Broadcasting Corporation Presents...
Each report we file will feature at least one article from Europeia's state run media, the EBC. In this report, we have an article on the future of Audio Broadcasting, written by Vice-President Writinglegend. Enjoy.
The Future of Audio Programming in NationStates
A Mixlr Supplement of Skeptic or Believer: EuroAnniversary

NationStates has always been home to some type of audio programming, whether it be by people who run broadcasts, talk-shows, or play simple music. Europeia is another one of those regions who use audio programming to further its communications strategy, as well as a foreign medium, as seen with the interviews already completed with the likes of Xoriet, former TEP Delegate, and Tim Stark, Pharoah and Delegate of Osiris. Whilst Europeia has succeeded at it, does this mean audio programming will spread across NationStates, bigger and better than ever?

President Sopo Answers the Question of the Future of Audio Programming (47 Seconds, Youtube)

History of NationStates Audio

Gateway Radio
Gateway Radio is looked upon as one of the beginning audios in NationStates history, and was created by Biyah in 2004. Gateway Radio was run on IRC, and was much different than what we would consider radio today; it consisted of an IRC channel where people would sahre music in a “radio-like” fashion. Looking past this, Gateway Radio can still be looked upon as something that began a bigger audio era in NationStates.

The Malicious Broadcast
Jumping to October of 2012, the Brotherhood of Malice began their own broadcasts using audio technology. Their “shows/broadcasts” were titled “The Malicious Broadcast” and became a semi-popular show. The last show was posted on March of 2014.

The Rejected Radio
The Rejected Realms also launched the Rejected Radio in August of 2013, which started out as purely music, and continued as a “music” station.

Radio was also used on much larger platforms over the years, a prime example being during the 2013 World Fair where it was used for interviews and music.

Audio news and music stations can be found throughout the history of NationStates, but the consistency and focus of them could be what didn’t allow most of them to last as long.

Current Usage

Audio is semi-used in today’s NationStates world, with most people certainly favoring the likes of the written format over the audio one. However, over the past year more and more regions are beginning to develop audio communication, such as Europeia and The Communist Bloc.

Europeia
Prior to Mixlr, we saw a number of “radio’s” open up, however, the common assessment for them is that they weren’t very successful. In Anumia’s term, he recorded his speeches on an audio platform while having it in text form. Was this the “beginning” of successful audio in Europeia?

In Europeia, Mixlr began to flourish during President Malashaan’s term in the fall of 2014, where we saw the upheaval of audio communication. At the Winter Ball, it was used as a foreign communication outlet when Europeia interviewed Josh Sebastian. Mixlr also hosted games such as ‘Skeptic or Believer' and 'What's the Catch', creating a varied platform of foreign communication and cultural advancement.

This trend continued throughout the Mousebumples administration where interviews with Tsunamy and Penguin were set up on Mixlr. In addition, even more recently, we had a presidential debate run on this platform.

Europeia is leading the charge in the formation of more interactive radio rather than the prior static strategy, and could be driving NationStates towards an audio future.

The Communist Bloc
Much is still not known about The Communist Bloc’s radio plan, however, there is one that will be put forth. In a message from their President, Zenny Fominov, in their NS Forum embassy, it was noted that:

“We have a LOT we want to do with it in the future, including housing our radio program (we are still on schedule for the 15th being our first show).”

The Future of Audio

Much of the future of audio is still up in the air. When looking at the rather inconsistent background of audio communication one must wonder the effectiveness of such a strategy. One must truly wonder if people just prefer written work that much to where they despise audio communication. However, when taking a look back at older audio communication strategies in NationStates, the problem can be pinpointed on two things.

Content
The content must be interesting, and attractive to foreigners. Yes, you can have a domestic radio, but to influence the wider game you must have content interesting to it. For example, The Rejected Radio was largely music, which isn’t very attractive to foreign audiences. When taking a look at other more successful radio show’s, you find interesting content. An example of this is The Malicious Broadcast, where the hosts discussed current gameplay events in NationStates, and, at times, interviewed foreigners.

Chief Justice hyanygo Discusses Audio Content (Twenty Seconds, Youtube)

So is this the strategy needed? Does content have to be partially geared towards a foreign audience in order to ensure more interest in the station?

The facts say yes, it does. This can also be backed up with a recent trend seen at the EuroAnniversary event, with mixlr interviews of large foreign figures such as Tim Stark and Xoriet. These interviews has broken viewing records at these events. What does this say?

This shows that this type of content, content geared towards foreign audiences, attracts a wider amount of people. Going forth, in order to have a more popular and noticeable audio communication outlet, more content must be geared towards foreign audiences.

A Clear Purpose
Most of the time, these audio outlets don’t have a clear purpose; a clear what and why. People must realize that a large portion of players would rather read articles than listen to two people chatter for an hour. Why should they come to this audio platform and listen?

What is the purpose of this platform? Going back to the Rejected Radio, the purpose of that radio, from the start, was unclear and it shifted from focusing on music, to RL news, to NS news, and back again. While diversity is good, too much diversity can cause boredom in listeners of these programs.

What?
What is this audio program intended to do? Is it going to be used for foreign communication and discussion of gameplay? Is it going to be used for casual music? Is it going to be used for cultural advancement? Is it going to have a harmonious blend of all three? What do you want out of this? These are the what questions that need to be answered.

Why?
Why should people listen to this radio rather than read an article? Why is audio better than text? These are common why questions that must be answered to give audio a clear purpose.

Chief Justice hyanygo discusses the "Why" and the "What" (35 Seconds, Youtube)

So where does the future lay?
Audio platforms have a bright future in NationStates, as seen with the interest in a handful amount of foreign listeners and the expansion of them into other regions such a The Communist Bloc. However, looking back at the past these audio strategies need interesting content towards a foreign crowd and a clear purpose in order for them to flourish, rather than fade out. While some people will always prefer reading texts audio does have a place, and if a clear what and why is set up than audio will thrive.

Written by Writinglegend
Last edited by Calvin Coolidge on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Josh Sebastian
Secretary

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Josh Sebastian » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:57 am

A good report from Euro.

I quite like the article on The Future of Audio Programming in NationStates. Indeed it has caught the interest and attention of a number of players, and is quickly expanding to other regions.
Theoden Sebastian
Prime Minister of The Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Balder
Deshret Councilor and Former Chief Elder of Osiris

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 am

Slight correction: you are correct when you say that our last broadcast was posted in March of 2014, but we also posted a new one just a few days ago on Malice's forum embassy. The reasons for the long hiatus can be chalked up to the inactivity of either me or Venico at any given time, and my being away at school.

Good read other than that, and its awesome to see my content be discussed as a popular form of communication :)
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Calvin Coolidge
Secretary

Anarchy

Postby Calvin Coolidge » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Supreme Chancellors
  • HEM
  • Lethen

World Assembly Delegate
  • Mousebumples

Executive
  • President - Sopo
  • Vice-President - Writinglegend
  • Foreign Affairs - Calvin Coolidge
  • Interior - Malashaan
  • Attorney General - Cerian Quilor

Legislative
  • Speaker - Kraketopia
  • Senators - Calvin Coolidge, Drecq, Malashaan, McEntire
  • Citizens' Assembly Chair - Rose Peak

Judicial
  • Chief Justice - hyanygo
  • Associate Justices - Drecq, Pope Lexus X

Senate Elections and Results
The region of Europeia held mid-term Senatorial elections April 3-4, 2015. Seven senators ran for a total of five seats. The size of the Senate was reduced from seven to five, according to Europeian law concerning the size of the Senate.

The following candidates were re-elected to the Senate: Kraketopia, Calvin Coolidge, Malashaan, McEntire, and Drecq. Former Senator Anumia and first time Senate candidate Fortunado were not elected.

Former Speaker of the Senate Malashaan resigned that position, but remains in the Senate. Kraketopia was elected as the new Speaker of the Senate.

The next Europeian election will held 35 days from the mid-term election and is a Presidential election.

Europeia on the Events in Lazarus

Stujenske recently led a coup in Lazarus with the support of the New Pacific Order (NPO), dissolving the constitution and ejecting members of the region's indigenous community. Although the deposed government had itself previously ejected community members to consolidate its power, this latest coup takes disregard for the Lazarene community to a whole new level. Consequently, Europeia has joined the great majority of the NationStates community in condemning this coup and has recalled its ambassador to Lazarus. Europeia has had no relations with the NPO puppet regime that controlled the delegacy and is pleased about the swift restoration of self-rule in Lazarus.

We also conducted an audio panel on the Lazarus situation here with President Sopo, Hobbes, Dali, and Neenee.

Europeian Broadcasting Corporation Presents...
Each report we file will feature at least one article from Europeia's state run media, the EBC. In this report, we have an interview with our new Minister of Communications, Deepest House. The interview was conducted by Vice-President Writinglegend.

Writinglegend: Hey Deepest House! Today I will be interviewing you for the Interior project 'A Newcomer's Perspective'. First question: Why did you originally join Europeia? What made the region stand out?

Deepest House: I received many telegrams upon joining NationStates. I read them all and picked about three or four regions that seemed most interesting and checked out their forums. I was looking for activity, professionalism, and quality people. Europeia stood out above the rest while checking out regional forums. I inquired a bit to Malashaan before joining the region and after his response I decided to take the plunge and bring Deepest House to Europeia.

Writinglegend: I'll have to give Malashaan a cookie later for answering some of your questions that nudged you over to our region. How have you enjoyed your time in Europeia thus far?

Deepest House: Everything has been great. The people are open and welcoming. I enjoy the banter on the Regional Message Board and also on the off-site forums. I have really enjoyed getting to know my fellow Europeians and am looking forward to continued involvement in whatever capacities I can best contribute.

Writinglegend: Speaking of the RMB and off-site forums, how would you describe the environment in Europeia?

Deepest House: Fun! What strikes me the most is that people are here to have fun. That’s not to say that it is not also a serious place where serious business gets conducted, because it is and it does. That said, everyone seems to try to have the best time and the most fun while accomplishing what we need to do in order to make the region a better place.

Writinglegend: We do tend to attract a lot of fun people. :D If you had to make one change to Europeia, what would it be and why?

Deepest House: I’m pretty new and don’t have a full grasp on Europeia, so this is a hard question to answer. I would like to find a way to encourage people to participate both on the RMB and the off-site regional forum.

Writinglegend: Interesting choice. How would you describe your integration into our society? What would you change about the integration process?

Deepest House: The mechanisms in place for newcomers to integrate are robust and well-developed. The entire process was easy to navigate, from applying for citizenship to joining the Civil Service. On the personal side, everyone has been very welcoming and encouraging of me as a newcomer. That’s what I was looking for most in a region: a place where newcomers are welcomed with open arms and given early opportunities to contribute to the region. I’d say that’s where Europeia is most successful – identifying ways for newcomers to become, and stay, involved in the region.

Writinglegend: On the topic of integration, how well do you feel Europeia integrates newcomers?

Deepest House: I think Europeia does a great job at bringing newcomers on board. There are a variety of opportunities for participation in regional activities, from games to government, with no pressure to do anything you don’t want to do, but opportunities to engage where you want to.

Writinglegend: What resources did you find particularly helpful to get you accommodated to Europeia?

Deepest House: It is hard to identify a single resource as useful as everything is useful and has its own purpose. But, if I had to choose, I would say that the Newcomers’ Hall is a great place to start. You can introduce yourself to the region and read a lot of information to get you up to speed as quickly as possible. I recommend every newcomer spend significant time reading all that’s available there.

Writinglegend: Again, interesting choice. How effective is the Citizens’ Assembly in getting newcomers in an active role?

Deepest House: The Citizens’ Assembly is a great place for any newcomer to get involved in the region. It provides an opportunity for a newcomer to contribute immediately without the pressure of elected or appointed office. Members of the Assembly can take things at their own speed, which is great for people who may not be able to commit more time initially to Europeia. However, I’m sure they’ll be sucked in eventually and want to take on more responsibilities within the region and spread their wings a bit…it’s too hard to sit back and just watch the action!

Writinglegend: You were recently nominated and confirmed as MinComm. What were your original reactions to President Sopo’s decision? Why do you feel you fit well into this role?

Deepest House: My initial reaction was one of great shock. I have a professional background in government communications, so I was naturally drawn towards the Ministry of Communications and applied to join immediately. I thought that maybe one day I could work up the ranks and be nominated as Minister, so it was really surprising when President Sopo reached out to me. I’m glad he did – but now I feel even more pressure than before because I know I must deliver. I want to repay the President for his faith in me without having proved myself, and also to the Senate – even though they gave me a good grilling during my confirmation hearing. I have lots of ideas for the Ministry, which I’ll bounce around the President and the Cabinet, which will hopefully make the Ministry a better and more effective organization than before. The challenge will be to balance my experience in RL government communications with realistic expectations of how to operate within NS. Fortunately, I have a great team with my fellow Cabinet members who are helping tremendously as I come up to speed on all things Europeia.

Writinglegend: By the way, congrats on the position. What would you say to anyone thinking about joining Europeia?

Deepest House: Do it. I couldn’t imagine having joined a better region. The professionalism of the region is second to none, yet everyone is easy to get along and work with. There are so many potential activities in which people can involve themselves that there is something for everyone in Europeia.

Writinglegend: Thank you for joining me today, Deepest House.

Lastly, An Invitation

Anumia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anumia » Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 am

Supreme Chancellors
  • HEM
  • Lethen

World Assembly Delegate
  • Mousebumples

Executive
  • President - Writinglegend
  • Vice-President - Calvin Coolidge
  • Foreign Affairs - Starstream Tribe
  • Citizenship Integration - Drecq
  • Regional Recruitment - Fortunado
  • Attorney General - Malashaan

Legislative
  • Speaker - Kraketopia
  • Senators - Drecq, Malashaan, McEntire, Cool Spring
  • Citizens' Assembly Chair - Fortunado

Judicial
  • Chief Justice - Drecq
  • Associate Justices - Pope Lexus X, Kraketopia, McEntire

Election Fever Outbreak!
The citizens of Europeia elected Writinglegend to the office of President in an election held May 8, 2015. Calvin Coolidge was elected Vice President. In the previous term, Writinglegend and Calvin Coolidge served as the Vice President and Minister of Foreign Affairs, respectively. Their ticket collected 67 percent of the vote, while the challenger ticket of McEntire and Brunhilde garnered 33 percent.

"Now is the time to be bold, to be innovative, to be imaginative, and to bring ideas to the table to bring change about," said President Writinglegend. "I believe in myself, I believe in my administration, and I believe in the Europeian people to lead us towards a positive summer and beyond: together."

McEntire has returned to the legislature. "I go enthusiastically back to the Senate, ready to serve the people of the Republic undeterred," he said.

Writinglegend's term will last 70 days from the date of the election. After a series of confirmation hearings, the Senate confirmed the President's proposed cabinet:

Minister of Foreign Affairs: Starstream Tribe
Minister of Culture: Cassy Styles Anumia
Minister of Communications: Deepest House
Minister of Citizen Integration: Drecq
Minister of Regional Recruitment: Fortunado
Attorney General: Malashaan
Grand Admiral: Kraketopia

Calvin Coolidge's election to Vice President resulted in an empty Senate seat. Cool Spring defeated PASD to fill the seat vacated by Calvin Coolidge, in a special by-election following the presidential election. Senator Cool Spring won 64 percent of the vote while opposition Assemblyman PASD collected 36 percent.

The Citizens' Assembly (CA) voted to remove the Assembly's Chair, Rose Peak, after CA member Fortunado called for a Vote of No Confidence. The Assembly held a special election for the Chair upon the passing of the Vote of No Confidence. Fortunado defeated Starstream Tribe by two votes in the final tally. "Thank you for this opportunity," Fortunado said to his fellow Assembly members after the victory. "I will not disappoint."

With the election season now over, the President, his Cabinet, and the legislature go back to work before the senatorial election currently scheduled for June 14. May we be lucky to avoid Election Fever next time.

ERN Continues to Provide Stability for Europeia and Allies
The Europeian Republican Navy, which has continued to grow over the past half year, showed off its muscle by participating in a number of notable operations recently. In Yorkshire the ERN made up a sizable part of the NPA/EPSA led invasion force, and had the pleasure of participating in the LWU anniversary raids of GREAT Britain and Eternal Scholars. Most notably however, the ERN has been able to quickly respond to The North Pacific's call for support during its Delegacy transition. The ERN fielded a respectable fifteen sailors, a deployment number that rivals most military organizations.

As the ERN continues to grow, strengthening bonds with old and new allies alike, the international stage can count on it as a force for Independence and stability.

Europeian Private Media Presents...
Each report we file will feature at least one article from Europeia's state run media, the EBC, or from our private media center, the LethoMonarchy.
Are Raiders and Defenders Similar?
Written by Rach, Originally Published in The Globe

One of my favourite "tricks" this year has been applying various ideas in new and hopefully profound ways. For example, I used the concepts introduced by Edward Said in Orientalism to use gender relations and gender roles as a way of examining what defined a certain European country versus other European countries during the 17th century. I can't help but read things and try to extrapolate key ideas elsewhere. Recently, I had a similar thought as I am reading "The Road to Serfdom" by Hayek. In particular Hayek believes that Fascists had more in common with Communists and that they attracted the same sort of person. As well, he believed that people would often switch sides between the two and that they disliked classical liberalism the most. Now of course, I am not comparing RL Nazis and Communists with defenders or raiders. Rather I am applying the same sort of thinking to the idea that raiders and defenders might have more in common with each other than other NS theories and might attract the same sort of person.

Many of the switches that raiders and defenders make are between each other rather than with political regions. For example, during the year 2010, the founder of The Black Hawks and The Black Riders, Halcones briefly switched sides to the Founderless Regions Alliance. Then there is of course there are multiple examples in the United Defender League, in which we saw numerous switches between them and raider organizations. In particular The Black Hawks claimed defections such as Spartz and Mallorea and Riva. In more recent times, Chester Pearson switched to become a raider and Cormac has made numerous switches along defender and raider lines that seemingly seemed impossible.

But it was Cormac who got me thinking that perhaps it isn't so strange to see all the swapping of allegiances along R/D lines. After all, I had found it a bit odd that Europeia hadn't really if ever been for D players to defect to. Wouldn't switching from the UDL to Europeia be less of a swap than UDL to TBH after all?

Instead I think there is something to be said that NS militancy attracts the same sort of people, determined about the military cause while more political regions attract different sorts of people. Even when players such as Oliver Dion Grey became defenders, he was essentially still a political defender. More similar to the Oliver Dion Grey the political raider for Europeia and proponent of independence. More different that the militants of R/D.

Foreign Policy wise, this has been known for some time. Despite the fierce competition between Europeia and the Founderless Region Alliance for example, the two political regions are more similar due to the sharing of common political values and interests. We have seen far more switching of allegiances between FRA and Europeia, than between the more militant UDL and Europeia for example. Falconias, Karp, Silver Steps... even myself and PASD if you include us as part of the FRA umbrella when we came from TUK. Although I will make an exception for Unibot, who I think we can agree is more politician than militant despite having founded a more militant organization.

There is also a case to be made for those who are most similar to clash most viciously. Sunnis and Shi-ites and Catholics and Protestants for example fought and fight far more viciously against each other than Muslims and Christians. In this sense, it makes sense for militant raiders and defenders to fight viciously despite greater mobility between the two than with the political regions. It also makes sense as to why Europeia's greatest battles tend to be with other political regions rather more different militant organizations. Even when Europeia had political fights with Lone Wolves United and the United Defenders League it was due to the presence of politicians such as Evil Wolf and Unibot. Now that the UDL is run by the more militant Ravania it has ceased to have an impact on Europeia on the foreign affairs side.

As a whole, this isn't too profound and I think most would realize the only thing Europeia shares with raiders is a hobby and that the attraction isn't that strong from either party. Europeia is obviously closer and more similar to other political regions. But this counter-intuitively means that Europeia is fated to come into greater conflict with political regions that it disagrees with than any militant region. This is despite the fact that the militant regions would appear to be far more different. It simply comes down to different interests that only touch each other marginally. For Europeia, raiding is marginal. For military regions, politics is marginal.

Of course, as with most broad distinctions, there are many people who straddle the line and it isn't a clear divide. But it is a line to think about.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sat May 30, 2015 1:42 pm

I bet this Rach person didn't even finish reading the road to serfdom because she's a lazy butt or got stuck with exams.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Writinglegend
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Writinglegend » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Statement Regarding the LKE's Recruitment Block
Europeians are gravely concerned about the moderators' decision to impose a three-month ban on all recruiting by the Land of Kings and Emperors, due to the apparent use of an illegal script. We have kept quiet about our concerns up to now, out of respect for the process, but now that the process has concluded without addressing those concerns, we wish to raise matters that we believe should be of concern to the entire NationStates community.

There are a number of reasons to be concerned about the ruling in question:

-- One of the two individuals reportedly involved in the illegal recruiting is known to be hostile towards LKE.

-- LKE asserts that it has not been provided basic details of its alleged wrongdoing, such as how long the illegal recruiting was taking place.

-- A dangerous precedent is set by allowing a new form of illegal warfare which sees a deliberate violation of rules to get a region sanctioned.

The moderators may exercise their prerogative over the game and its players however they see fit, but if they want their actions to be considered fair by the gameplay community, they should be more forthcoming with information. Absent such an explanation, it's difficult to feel good about the process, especially when the final decision was announced by a long-time adversary of the LKE.

This punishment saddens LKE's friends (including us) and delights its adversaries, but it should concern us all. None of us spend hours playing this game so that everything we have worked for years to build can be abruptly decimated with only a cursory explanation.

LKE is a proud and historic region that has a long history of facing and overcoming obstacles set in its path. In the end, the sanctions imposed are just another obstacle that will be hurdled by the LKE. Europeia looks forward to continued cooperation with the government of the LKE, militarily and culturally, to help our long term ally in the situation they are in.

Signed,
Writinglegend,
President of Europeia
Last edited by Writinglegend on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10x President of Europeia

King HEM
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby King HEM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

At the very least this "sanction" is a serious misstep that sets a dangerous precedent. At very worst, it is a biased decision that jeopardizes the ability of invader regions to enjoy gameplay.

There are only a handful of players who have been in Nationstates as long as I have. I can fairly confidently say that never, in all my time, has the moderation of this game interfered in gameplay in this manner. It is unprecedented, irresponsible, and in serious need of revision and apology to entire the community.

^ This is a personal statement from HEM, and does not represent the views of anybody but him.
Last edited by King HEM on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEM

Founder of Europeia
Former Vice Delegate of The South Pacific
Raider sympathizer, NS media guru, not relevant since 2009

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am

Invader regions who haven't violated the rules are free to continue much as they have done. This isn't even remotely about r/d and r/d balance doesn't factor into it at all.

The mods have also already said their judgment is not precedent on this, each case may be completely different. It's like some of you people don't read.

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:26 am

The LKE thanks Europeia for its steadfast support as a true friend of our region.

Consular wrote:Invader regions who haven't violated the rules are free to continue much as they have done.

The LKE, either as a regional government or an in-game entity, hasn't violated any rules.

Consular wrote:This isn't even remotely about r/d and r/d balance doesn't factor into it at all.

I'm sure the implications of simultaneously imposing collective sanctions on both the premier imperialist and raider regions aren't lost on anyone.

I'm not arguing at all that damaging the imperialist and raider spheres was the motive of the game administrator specifically in imposing the sanction.

However, these sanctions clearly have major consequences for "r/d balance".

It is entirely legitimate to argue that moderation should not get involved in changing the dynamics of gameplay politics to that extent.

Consular wrote:The mods have also already said their judgment is not precedent on this, each case may be completely different. It's like some of you people don't read.

If judgements on cases with the same characteristics are "completely different" for no identified reason, then that is arbitrary. The LKE had no knowledge of Bob Moran's actions and no means of preventing them. What is the distinguishing factor which means that the LKE should be punished so severely here?

Moreover, if the moderators aren't happy to stand by the principle of this decision, then does that not suggest that the underlying decision is problematic?

If the logical position you take in making a decision is so bad you need to rule out using the same position in the future, doesn't that suggest you should never have adopted the position in the first place?
Last edited by Onderkelkia on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, etc.

Duke of Roskilde, of Balder

Archduke of Niso, of the LKE
Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 am

Onderkelkia wrote:The LKE, either as a regional government or an in-game entity, hasn't violated any rules.

You repeatedly saying that doesn't will it into reality you know. :blush: The LKE violated the rules on manual recruitment.

Onderkelkia wrote:This isn't even remotely about r/d and r/d balance doesn't factor into it at all.
I'm sure the implications of simultaneously imposing collective sanctions on both the premier imperialist and raider regions aren't lost on anyone.

I'm not arguing at all that damaging the imperialist and raider spheres was the motive of the game administrator specifically in imposing the sanction.

However, these sanctions clearly have major consequences for "r/d balance".

It is entirely legitimate to argue that moderation should not get involved in changing the dynamics of gameplay politics to that extent.

See, I think you'll find very few people viewed the judgment in that light, and it almost certainly wasn't made in that light, and framing it in such a way is just a silly distraction to make a very simple issue seem more complicated. There are consequences for breaking the rules and r/d isn't even relevant to them.

They also don't have any of these mysterious implications. The ban isn't preventing invaders from invading things and any insinuation otherwise is deliberately misleading.

Onderkelkia wrote:If judgements on cases with the same characteristics are "completely different" for no identified reason, then that is arbitrary. The LKE had no knowledge of Bob Moran's actions and no means of preventing them. What is the distinguishing factor which means that the LKE should be punished so severely here?

Moreover, if the moderators aren't happy to stand by the principle of this decision, then does that not suggest that the underlying decision is problematic?

It is not arbitrary just because you can't seem to grasp the concept. The mods have acknowledged that the decision process related to these issues is very complex and very dependent on specific context and so one decision isn't necessary as strong a precedent as one might normally expect. Cases may be distinguished on a number of bases.

Onderkelkia wrote:If the logical position you take in making a decision is so bad you need to rule out using the same position in the future, doesn't that suggest you should never have adopted the position in the first place?

:blink: Um... neither they nor I said they were ruling out making the same decision. Really grasping at straws there aren't you?

Onderkelkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Onderkelkia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:49 am

Consular wrote:You repeatedly saying that doesn't will it into reality you know. The LKE violated the rules on manual recruitment.

Bob Moran's actions are not those of the LKE. You repeatedly asserting that the LKE did something doesn't change that reality.

Regions as an in-game entities cannot even act in their own right. It is the actions of players which can break the rules. The LKE as a group of players did not. One individual player did break the rules. That individual player has appropriately been declared delete on sight and, indeed, banned from the LKE.

Consular wrote:See, I think you'll find very few people viewed the judgment in that light, and it almost certainly wasn't made in that light, and framing it in such a way is just a silly distraction to make a very simple issue seem more complicated. There are consequences for breaking the rules and r/d isn't even relevant to them.

It is naive in the extreme to think that no observer looked at this decision and thought about the impact it would have on imperialism and raiding.

To be clear, I am not alleging that the game administrator was motivated by the thought of this impact. However, taking actions to cripple both the leading imperialist region and the leading raider region has an obvious and disproportionate impact on one particular side of gameplay.

Imposing collective sanctions, apart from being inherently unfair on the innocent parties involved, means moderation crossing lines into gameplay politics.

Consular wrote:It is not arbitrary just because you can't seem to grasp the concept. The mods have acknowledged that the decision process related to these issues is very complex and very dependent on specific context and so one decision isn't necessary as strong a precedent as one might normally expect. Cases may be distinguished on a number of bases.

Imposing different sanctions in cases with the same characteristics is arbitrary unless there are factors which clearly distinguish those cases.

The moderators, in denying our appeal, declined to specify any particular reasons. Some of the reasons which some moderators provided in the discussions prior to the appeal being denied (for instance about whether we ought to have known from the number of telegrams blocked on the API statistics) have been comprehensively rebutted when challenged. The fact is that no distinguishing factor for treating the LKE so harshly has been identified clearly.

All that suggests to me is that whether a particular sanction would be applied is essentially being driven by feelings and hunches.

Consular wrote: Um... neither they nor I said they were ruling out making the same decision. Really grasping at straws there aren't you?

You have been at pains to point out that they have indicated that they don't regard this as a precedent to be followed.

If the principle behind their decision is so troubling that they feel they must qualify it so strongly, then that suggests that the actual decision is problematic.

If your argument is that the principle is correct but that it is only very narrow and applicable in very specific contexts, then scant reasoning has been provided and, as there is nothing to suggest the LKE should have known, it is hard to see why the LKE is being targeted so harshly when others would not be.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, etc.

Duke of Roskilde, of Balder

Archduke of Niso, of the LKE
Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Prince of Jomsborg
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:36 am

390 words, 2339 characters, and you say nothing that hasn't been previously explained to you here or elsewhere.

Onderkelkia wrote:Bob Moran's actions are not those of the LKE. You repeatedly asserting that the LKE did something doesn't change that reality.

Regions as an in-game entities cannot even act in their own right. It is the actions of players which can break the rules. The LKE as a group of players did not. One individual player did break the rules. That individual player has appropriately been declared delete on sight and, indeed, banned from the LKE.

Ah, but the difference is what I'm saying /is/ the reality! You know, rather than your wishful thinking, which is the basis for the nonsense you repeat like a broken record. The LKE violated the rules, because admin says so. Admin rulings /are/ reality on this board.

Onderkelkia wrote:It is naive in the extreme to think that no observer looked at this decision and thought about the impact it would have on imperialism and raiding.

To be clear, I am not alleging that the game administrator was motivated by the thought of this impact. However, taking actions to cripple both the leading imperialist region and the leading raider region has an obvious and disproportionate impact on one particular side of gameplay.

Imposing collective sanctions, apart from being inherently unfair on the innocent parties involved, means moderation crossing lines into gameplay politics.

It really isn't naive, and certainly not "in the extreme" to imagine that not everyone sees game in your rather narrow way, and to say otherwise demonstrates a ridiculous amount of arrogance on your part to be honest. Not everyone sees this game or wants to play like you Onderkelkia. Hell, in fact, the majority don't! If that fact is lost on you then I really can't help you with that.

Any impact it might have said, which you assert without evidence, is irrelevant. Balancing the sides in r/d shouldn't factor into these decisions.

Onderkelkia wrote:Imposing different sanctions in cases with the same characteristics is arbitrary unless there are factors which clearly distinguish those cases.

The moderators, in denying our appeal, declined to specify any particular reasons. Some of the reasons which some moderators provided in the discussions prior to the appeal being denied (for instance about whether we ought to have known from the number of telegrams blocked on the API statistics) have been comprehensively rebutted when challenged. The fact is that no distinguishing factor for treating the LKE so harshly has been identified clearly.

All that suggests to me is that whether a particular sanction would be applied is essentially being driven by feelings and hunches.

You have not "comprehensively rebutted" anything, despite the sheer volume of words you have published on this subject.

There doesn't need to be a distinguishing factor right now because these are the first cases of it. <_< The distinguishing will become relevant in future cases where admin will look at specific context decide a judgment based on that instead of simply applying this one based on precedent. Not sure if you are incapable of grasping this or just repeatedly sidestepping.

Onderkelkia wrote:You have been at pains to point out that they have indicated that they don't regard this as a precedent to be followed.

If the principle behind their decision is so troubling that they feel they must qualify it so strongly, then that suggests that the actual decision is problematic.

If your argument is that the principle is correct but that it is only very narrow and applicable in very specific contexts, then scant reasoning has been provided and, as there is nothing to suggest the LKE should have known, it is hard to see why the LKE is being targeted so harshly when others would not be.

They don't regard this as a precedent to strictly apply. Cases will be assessed on an individual basis. That doesn't mean the same judgment won't be applied if deemed appropriate. So very simple.

I am also nobody's attack dog, but thanks. :blush: Albion citizens actually have their own opinions and express them as they wish. Odd that such a concept seems strange enough to you to warrant harassment of our citizens.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay