NATION

PASSWORD

Gameplay Advice Thread - We're here to help!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Taezervania
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Oct 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Taezervania » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Shizensky wrote:It is my hope that this thread can become a valuable resource for nations seeking help in the Gameplay arena. Whether they're looking for advice on recruiting, R/D, or regional politics, I believe that it is in the best interests of NationStates for us to help them be successful. The practice of ridiculing every new idea into oblivion is destructive and poisonous to the NS community at large, and my goal is to create a place where these ideas can be discussed and critiqued honestly.

If you are here to provide honest input towards a discussion, no matter what side of the fence you play on, your input is welcome!

If you have a new idea and would like to know how to make it work, what hurdles you may need to overcome, or what won't work, feel free to ask!

If you're here to ridicule someone for their idea, or even ridicule the idea itself, I respectfully ask you to avoid posting in this thread.

The aim of this thread is to give people looking for help access to people who are willing to help. This is not a recruiting thread. We are here to offer guidance, not to move to your region to actually do the work for you.

With all of that being said, how can we help you?


I've created a region with a map, a forum, and multiple open government positions. I've made an API Recruitment campaign, and made a recruitment telegram using all of the persuasive things I've learned in school. still, no-one seems to want to join my region. What should I do?

User avatar
Shizensky
Diplomat
 
Posts: 602
Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Starting a region is difficult. Like, really, really difficult. It requires a lot of time and patience.

Do you know anybody who might be interested in NationStates? Starting a region on your own is a serious challenge, so getting someone else to help you out would go a long way to help build a stable foundation. It also helps you divide some of the labor between trusted individuals.

Another option is to wait. Seriously, sometimes all it takes is time. Someone will answer your recruiting telegram and you'll be in business. When they do, interact with them! Make them feel welcome and try to get them involved. Start to build activity on the RMB so future nations see an active, living region. Once you've got a number of active people, take advantage of the polls as a tool to start a regional debate.

You could also try joining another region. See what they do that makes them different, and imagine how you might do it differently yourself.

I hope that helps. There's honestly no one way to go about any of this, but I can promise you that it's immensely easier to have as much help as possible early on or you'll end up doing quite a bit on your own. ;)
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:25 am

Shizensky wrote:Starting a region is difficult. Like, really, really difficult. It requires a lot of time and patience.

Do you know anybody who might be interested in NationStates? Starting a region on your own is a serious challenge, so getting someone else to help you out would go a long way to help build a stable foundation. It also helps you divide some of the labor between trusted individuals.

Another option is to wait. Seriously, sometimes all it takes is time. Someone will answer your recruiting telegram and you'll be in business. When they do, interact with them! Make them feel welcome and try to get them involved. Start to build activity on the RMB so future nations see an active, living region. Once you've got a number of active people, take advantage of the polls as a tool to start a regional debate.

You could also try joining another region. See what they do that makes them different, and imagine how you might do it differently yourself.

I hope that helps. There's honestly no one way to go about any of this, but I can promise you that it's immensely easier to have as much help as possible early on or you'll end up doing quite a bit on your own. ;)

I personally have grown three regions:
    - GDU (50+ citizens)
    - CoF (330 Citizens)
    - AoI (130 Citizens)
Now i agree with Shiz that it is difficult - but it is in no way that difficult. The task itself is rather easy; the difficult part is there is a barrier with each region that i faced right before success; you consider giving up...but if you push a little further it works out.

If you want to start a region; I'll offer you the same i offer to everyone else - My advise and assistance. However i will not actively be involve din your region; unless i really like it. Than still it will come down to yourself.

There are also guides on this matter - and i am going to say mine is the best (No surprises there :P), It can be found here.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
Shizensky
Diplomat
 
Posts: 602
Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:22 am

There is a huge difference between growing a region, and sustaining one. I am a firm believer that "Slow and steady wins the race" in terms of most things, NS projects being no different. I have a handful of other regions I have founded or have been an active leader in. I tend to keep my identity in them a secret because I would hate for any ties I have as Shizensky to interfere with the things these regions are trying to accomplish.

Creating a region and getting people to join isn't the difficult part. Building a stable community is the real challenge.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:24 am

Shizensky wrote:There is a huge difference between growing a region, and sustaining one. I am a firm believer that "Slow and steady wins the race" in terms of most things, NS projects being no different. I have a handful of other regions I have founded or have been an active leader in. I tend to keep my identity in them a secret because I would hate for any ties I have as Shizensky to interfere with the things these regions are trying to accomplish.

Creating a region and getting people to join isn't the difficult part. Building a stable community is the real challenge.

Sustaining a region is the easy bit - Keep the community happy and make sure that they are alright with a dictatorship and you are set. Stability can be given to them as long as you make them feel safe and happy. An active community is the best community.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
Rhemaland
Secretary
 
Posts: 36
Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

HELP! MY REGION WAS STOLEN!

Postby Rhemaland » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Greetings! I am the former, famed heroine who fought alongside United Federation of Canada in Gargantuan against Reagan Island and his crony, Virgo. I tried my best to save the day. Ultimately, Reagan changed his ways and founded a new region, The Gargantuan Empire. I had some serious issues arise that caused me to have to depart NS for some time. But now I am back and had to join a new region, founded by Reagan's new nation Lincoln Centre, The Lincoln Empire. That isn't where I want to be. I want to be home. And Canada refounded my home region to take control of it. That isn't fair. What can I do?
Rhemaland
Rhemari Bushard, President
Treymour Silineas, Speaker

Current Struggle(s)
n/a

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Rhemaland wrote:Greetings! I am the former, famed heroine who fought alongside United Federation of Canada in Gargantuan against Reagan Island and his crony, Virgo. I tried my best to save the day. Ultimately, Reagan changed his ways and founded a new region, The Gargantuan Empire. I had some serious issues arise that caused me to have to depart NS for some time. But now I am back and had to join a new region, founded by Reagan's new nation Lincoln Centre, The Lincoln Empire. That isn't where I want to be. I want to be home. And Canada refounded my home region to take control of it. That isn't fair. What can I do?

Sad to say it but if someone else has access to the founder or have refounded it - there is nothing you can do :meh:
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
Nephmir
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1760
Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm

If it had no password, you could perhaps destroy it yourself in about a few months... but sadly it does. I'm afraid there's no other way but to either ask for it back or to wait until the founder CTEs.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

User avatar
Chester Pearson
Minister
 
Posts: 2753
Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Nephmir wrote:If it had no password, you could perhaps destroy it yourself in about a few months... but sadly it does. I'm afraid there's no other way but to either ask for it back or to wait until the founder CTEs.


Yeah.... That won't be happening anytime soon. :rofl:

Tough tulips Rhema....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

User avatar
Butterbourne
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Butterbourne » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am

Hi,

I'm the (ex)President of the region Gambino. We have been invaded 3x in the last month by the Black Riders. I know rule breaking has occurred, but moderators deny it. Is there a reason why they are targeting us? How can we protect ourself while we continue to grow?

User avatar
Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 9796
Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:31 am

Butterbourne wrote:Hi,

I'm the (ex)President of the region Gambino. We have been invaded 3x in the last month by the Black Riders. I know rule breaking has occurred, but moderators deny it. Is there a reason why they are targeting us? How can we protect ourself while we continue to grow?

You're being targeted because you have a nonexecutive founder. You can refound your region with an executive founder, set your delegate controls to nonexecutive, and you won't be raided. For information on refounding read the stickies.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: I only steal soaps and shampoos from the friend who lets me stay on their couch when I have to be in some other city.
GR quote of the month: Yes mall is right

User avatar
Khronion
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 439
Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khronion » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:24 am

Rulebreaking is a pretty big allegation. Make sure you're up to date on the gameplay rules, which do allow for invasions and repeated taggings. Unless they're WA-multi-ing, it's probably kosher (unless you're getting tagged with Nazi flags).

User avatar
Coraxion
Diplomat
 
Posts: 968
Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Coraxion » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:23 am

Butterbourne wrote:Hi,

I'm the (ex)President of the region Gambino. We have been invaded 3x in the last month by the Black Riders. I know rule breaking has occurred, but moderators deny it. Is there a reason why they are targeting us? How can we protect ourself while we continue to grow?


1. Everyone have only 1 WA member nation at the time
2. You can resign and apply to WA as many times as you want with as many different nations as you like.
3. During NationStates' updates every nation and region updates only once.
4. All nations update always in only one region
5. WA-endorsements of a Nation are always counted to that region where WA nation reside when it updates
6. Resigning from WA after being elected to WAD doesn't end Delegate access to a region. It lasts until to a next update.
7. Thus you can be WAD of several regions same time.
8. Current TBR record is 63 raided regions in a single update by single team. 98 regions in a singe update with multiple teams (3 teams). Record for Sitting delegates 'executed' in a single update is 28.
9. You cannot raid regions where delegate access to the regional controls is barred. (WAD Set to Non-executive)
10. Setting WAD non-executive is that you need.
11. Your region is perfectly secured against any kind raids as long as founder puppet is alive and WAD access set to non-executive. If founder puppet CTE then delegate access will be again executive. Founder puppet must not leave from the region and it is recommended that puppet wouldn't be used for making RMB and/or forum comments (as if you manage break against spamming/trolling/flaming rules risk your Founder would get DEAT'd by moderation stays lower.)
12. You can lock your region and share its password only with those whom you trust.
13. You can pile enough endorsements with your friends to your region's executive WAD for making it unlike you get raided
14. You can learn spot possible incoming raiders and sit online during NS updates for kicking intruders out of the region.
15. You can abandon and let your region CTE and join to other community and make it better, more safe and more active with your WA member
16. You can join to raiders. After that you don't bother too much anymore about random and insignificant regions, like your region is. :P

ADD: Ooops. Just noticing that your Founder is non-executive. Not much can be done. Your region will stay as a possible target for raiders as long as it exist.
Last edited by Coraxion on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
NoblePhnx
Diplomat
 
Posts: 683
Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NoblePhnx » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:02 am

What's the best way to figure out the age of a region?
Original Ego of Revall Silverstorm
★Lord Noblephnx of The Eternal Knights

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 am

NoblePhnx wrote:What's the best way to figure out the age of a region?

History page would be my say - Go all the way down to the bottom and it will tell you how long ago it was founded
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
NoblePhnx
Diplomat
 
Posts: 683
Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NoblePhnx » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 am

Rifty wrote:
NoblePhnx wrote:What's the best way to figure out the age of a region?

History page would be my say - Go all the way down to the bottom and it will tell you how long ago it was founded

lel so I avoided the most obvious place, thanks!
Original Ego of Revall Silverstorm
★Lord Noblephnx of The Eternal Knights

User avatar
Shizensky
Diplomat
 
Posts: 602
Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:12 am

The API is a good place to start.

http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api ... &q=history

Scroll to the bottom for the earliest update. It doesn't appear to work 100% of the time, but might be pretty reliable up to 2009-2010. For example, the earliest update for 10000 Islands is from 2009, but Texas goes all the way back to 2004.

Take the <TIMESTAMP> number and paste it here: http://www.epochconverter.com/

This is basically Rifty's method, just a little more techincal. :P
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 am

Shizensky wrote:The API is a good place to start.

http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api ... &q=history

Scroll to the bottom for the earliest update. It doesn't appear to work 100% of the time, but might be pretty reliable up to 2009-2010. For example, the earliest update for 10000 Islands is from 2009, but Texas goes all the way back to 2004.

Take the <TIMESTAMP> number and paste it here: http://www.epochconverter.com/

This is basically Rifty's method, just a little more techincal. :P

I find it works just the history - Good enough. I just wish it gave a date rather than how long ago.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
NoblePhnx
Diplomat
 
Posts: 683
Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NoblePhnx » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 am

Oh so plug in the region founded timestamp date in, that's helpful!
Rifty wrote:I find it works just the history - Good enough. I just wish it gave a date rather than how long ago.

Perhaps Shizenky's method does give a date, would have to try it.
Original Ego of Revall Silverstorm
★Lord Noblephnx of The Eternal Knights

User avatar
Shizensky
Diplomat
 
Posts: 602
Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 am

It gives a date once you convert the timestamp, yeah.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

User avatar
NoblePhnx
Diplomat
 
Posts: 683
Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NoblePhnx » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:30 am

Shizensky wrote:It gives a date once you convert the timestamp, yeah.

It works beautifully, even converts it to the correct timezone.

Thanks!
Last edited by NoblePhnx on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Ego of Revall Silverstorm
★Lord Noblephnx of The Eternal Knights

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:32 am

Shizensky wrote:It gives a date once you convert the timestamp, yeah.

Archived that for the future - Danke.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
New Charlzilla
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 175
Founded: Feb 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Charlzilla » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Why is it that my region's people, TNP, laugh at me when I say I wanna be delegate?

User avatar
Rifty
Minister
 
Posts: 2269
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:04 pm

New Charlzilla wrote:Why is it that my region's people, TNP, laugh at me when I say I wanna be delegate?

Uh - This is very hard to say without insulting. TNP is a Game Created Region with thousands of individuals residing in there. You need to be heaviliy experienced in running a region. You need to be extremely active. You need to be well known. It would take Months/Years of just learning and getting to know the community before you would even be considered able to become a delegate.

It takes a certain kind of person to lead a GCR.

If you are dedicated ask HMS for some help in learning. If not found your own region or find a UCR.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

User avatar
McMasterdonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 958
Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:57 pm

New Charlzilla wrote:Why is it that my region's people, TNP, laugh at me when I say I wanna be delegate?

It's the way you have been going about it. You have shown no genuine interest in getting involved in the region. You have been bak for a number of days and declared you were going to overthrow the government. Of course, thy was utterly ridiculous, and people laughed in your face.

If you want to be Delegate, get involved in the region. Earn the trust and respect of other nations. Get some real government experience. I was elected Vice Delegate within months and Delegate in about 6 or 7 months. It's possible, but the way you're going about it now is destined to fail.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chef Big Dog, Frenchy II, Hoasa, Khronion, Lord Dominator, South Asians, Suvmia, Writinglegend

Advertisement

Remove ads