NATION

PASSWORD

Introduction to Raiding & Defending

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 am

The Republic of Potestatem wrote:How do I get more militaristic issues and/or increase my defense budget?

The only way to influence the issues you will receive is by your previous answers. (If you ban capitalism, you aren't going to be getting capitalist issues.) For example, if you have military spending, you'll be eligible for certain issues such as my issue #424: You Just Sank My Battleship, which is all about military maintenance. To increase your defense budget, always answer issues that seem favorable to your military and national defense.
See You Space Cowboy...

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:19 am

We're now needing someone else to take over this guide.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:25 am

Sedgistan wrote:We're now needing someone else to take over this guide.

Can we give it back to Neph, or is that out of the question? He made it, and although BT made a few edits to one or two bits (actually 3 of 21), it's pretty much Nephs, and if someone else gets it, it's kind of stealing his work. Neph lost it with the whole almost DOS thing, but as far as I know he isn't in that state atm. and if he somehow does get back into that state, it can always be switched then.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:26 am

Is it a volunteer thing or a nomination thing? If the first, I'll volunteer; if the latter I recommend Ever-Wandering Souls.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 am

Flanderlion wrote:

Can we give it back to Neph, or is that out of the question? He made it, and although BT made a few edits to one or two bits (actually 3 of 21), it's pretty much Nephs, and if someone else gets it, it's kind of stealing his work. Neph lost it with the whole almost DOS thing, but as far as I know he isn't in that state atm. and if he somehow does get back into that state, it can always be switched then.

It needs to be re-written and updated regardless, so that the current version is Nephmir's work is irrelevant.
We Are Not the NSA wrote:

Is it a volunteer thing or a nomination thing? If the first, I'll volunteer; if the latter I recommend Ever-Wandering Souls.

I'd happily have either or both of you take over. Would you want to start from scratch, or have ownership of the posts transferred and then re-write?

Sygian II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sygian II » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:04 am

Could you explain to me as to why the work can't be returned to it's original owner/creator (Nephmir)?
Benevolent Thomas wrote:The Black Hawks continue to be the largest and most successful invader organization in NationStates

Maj. Sygian

Council Advisor of The Black Hawks

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:48 am

Syg, If their goal is to see this guide updated, and not a new one created, it makes more sense to hand it off to an active writer.

If they'd prefer a new one entirely, sure, give it back to him.

@Sedge, I'd be happy to do either, especially with NSA's help. Most of what'd be helpful here would be basic organization, basic formatting, etc. Wouldn't be able to devote much time to it until December, but TBH has recently rewritten many of its own guides and is working on others that I could channel towards this. It would be helpful to have an active defender mind or two involved, becuase as much as we know the theory, neither of us have much actual experience on that side. If anyone older and still active wants to step up, awesome, but on the younger end, I'd love to have Roavin at our back on this one.

Perhaps another solution altogether - mods take ownership of this thread, and a team submits edits to you? It'd be something new and different, yes, but would remove the bottleneck of selecting one player (and one side) to be the "owner" of it and relying on them to write, update, and maintain it. Contributors could be given a nod.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:59 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:-snip-

It needs to be re-written and updated regardless, so that the current version is Nephmir's work is irrelevant.
We Are Not the NSA wrote:-snip-

I'd happily have either or both of you take over. Would you want to start from scratch, or have ownership of the posts transferred and then re-write?

It depends on how quickly the re-write would need to be ready, and the extent to which it needs to be updated. If all that needs to happen is a few additions of new information, the removal of out of date information, and rewording of the existing text that is still relevant, and there isn't a specific time it needs to be 'finished' by, due to the obvious need for constant improvement, then I can handle it. A complete rewrite would take days of work, and while I would be willing to dedicate this time to the task, I do not know if I am able to dedicate that much time due to real life constraints I am currently faced with. I would be unable to produce a full rewrite in a timely fashion, and even additions of new information may take a few weeks to complete (based off of the quality of writing that is needed).

Also, to echo Flanderlion's and Sygian's suggestions, if Nephmir wishes take control of this thread back, I think that he is entitled to be considered for the job. While his original work may be out of date, Neph's writing skills and gameplay knowledge are of a high enough quality that he could make the necessary changes as easily as anyone else on this forum.

Pre-Submission Edit: (I got ninja'd by Souls) I think that selecting a team of gameplayers of various different backgrounds to work on this would not only be beneficial for the overall quality of the information/presentation, but it would also solve the issue of time-management (solve is a bit too strong of a word... alleviate). If moderation doesn't like the idea of taking over of the thread (which I understand, you guys already have enough responsibilities), we could still follow Souls's idea in a less formal way, by having a gameplayer control the thread but having a team of volunteers helping via a Discord or Skype chat.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:12 am

I mean BT tried to get a group, but it didn't go far.

Personally, I'd want to revamp the entire organization of this thread in less the style of a comprehensive encyclopedia-style guide, and more like how I do my dispatched or did the API guide - a bit more consolidated, and more down-to-earth talking to the reader. Probably something like...

The Short Version (in the intro) - few sentences on what this is and why you care. Tl;dr this means taking delegates and such
The Basics - a bit more very general detail on how various sides operate. tl;dr incorporate the idea of updates, etc.
Avoiding Raids/"I just got raided, what do I do?" - native prevention and response section on not breaking rules, organizing effective resistance, and contacting support
>For Regions with Founders
>For regions without Founders
"I want to raid, what do I do?" - guide on how to plan, execute, and hold a raid, not broken down into four different sections from the intro :P
>Update/triggering section
>types of raid with a general how-to
"I Want to defend, what do I do?" - same thing vice versa. Emphasis on the need to contact others to have the numbers to stop raids from occurring or liberate them once they have
>subsections set by someone who knows better
<Can't think of a good name atm> - section on all the expanded elements that make up Gameplay beyond R/D, touching on Fash/Antifash, Independant, Imperial, etc.
>types/reasonings

In short, I'm thinking both *less detailed* in some areas (not sure if that's what you want, but IMHO there's some stuff you should let folks figure out on their own once you've given them the tool, and that also helps keep the guide simpler - can encourage asking questions if they still have any), and as a matter of execution, more repetitive at times (though ideally readers would skim the whole guide and understand their opponents as well, many will just be coming for a specific part, or may read the guide in chunks, and it's helpful for those readers to not *have* to have read all prior sections to understand what's going on).
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 pm

The issue with a group of people being responsible is that it's much easier for each of them to sit back and think "oh, someone else will update it". If it's one person, it's yours, and you can't fall back on anyone else. That said, if there's 2-3 people who will actively take charge, I am willing to have a mod-enforced shared nation (i.e. if you try to steal the nation, we'll revert its ownership; it'd probably also be WA banned to prevent shenanigans) for ease of editing.

On how the thread should work - I like EWS' goal of simplifying it to be an introduction to military gameplay. I don't think it's realistic to have a comprehensive guide to military gameplay given that it continually evolves (even without admin input) and there's a wealth of different tactics/approaches. Besides, once you're after advanced tactics etc., you're generally at a stage that you know who/where to go to for advice. It's the newcomers that need this thread - to find out what on earth military gameplay is, and also how they can get started in it.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:26 pm

I would support that path. In that vein, I'd also support passing this back to neph and letting him update this as a complete/advanced guide if he wishes, while we write a seperate "beginners" or "introductory" guide.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:16 pm

If Neph is out of the question just say. If he is, then I'd support Souls or NSA taking over, Souls has his TG guide and NSA his dispatch stuff both of which qualify them imo. They're also longtime GPers and although coming from the raider perspective, I'm fairly certain they can make a neutral guide. Sharing with a neutral nation does seem a better option (if such players can work together), because players go inactive, and it is a lot easier to just give someone a password to a nation than continuously change ownership every 6 months or so when one player gets hit RL.
Information
Wishlist

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 pm

I'll just say that I strongly advise against forming a group to do this. It's much more likely to actually be done if it's one or two people.

I'm not interested in writing but I'll proofread once something is readyish. :)
Last edited by Consular on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:07 am

Flanderlion wrote:If Neph is out of the question just say. If he is, then I'd support Souls or NSA taking over, Souls has his TG guide and NSA his dispatch stuff both of which qualify them imo. They're also longtime GPers and although coming from the raider perspective, I'm fairly certain they can make a neutral guide. Sharing with a neutral nation does seem a better option (if such players can work together), because players go inactive, and it is a lot easier to just give someone a password to a nation than continuously change ownership every 6 months or so when one player gets hit RL.

Nephmir isn't out of the question, but given we're essentially picking from scratch (the current guide is 2 years out of date), we're picking the best candidate(s) - and at present, that's not him. EWS and NSA have a great history of being polite, friendly and helpful, they've got no moderation record of note, and importantly they've got both current experience of military gameplay and reliable recent activity on the forum. Nephmir hasn't been around much recently.

Assuming he wants it, I'll revert this guide to Nephmir's ownership. For the time being, it'll remain pinned in this forum plus linked from the FAQs. If EWS + NSA's "Introduction to Military Gameplay" materialises, that will be pinned/linked; whether this one remains so as well depends on what the new thread is like, and whether this is updated.

I've created the imaginatively named "Military Gameplay Guide" nation, which will have mod-enforced shared ownership; I'll TG EWS and NSA the password. The game helpfully gave it the random slogan "Might Makes Right", which is surely a sign of raider bias to come :P

If you want someone else involved with it, let me know, and that should be fine.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:If Neph is out of the question just say. If he is, then I'd support Souls or NSA taking over, Souls has his TG guide and NSA his dispatch stuff both of which qualify them imo. They're also longtime GPers and although coming from the raider perspective, I'm fairly certain they can make a neutral guide. Sharing with a neutral nation does seem a better option (if such players can work together), because players go inactive, and it is a lot easier to just give someone a password to a nation than continuously change ownership every 6 months or so when one player gets hit RL.

Nephmir isn't out of the question, but given we're essentially picking from scratch (the current guide is 2 years out of date), we're picking the best candidate(s) - and at present, that's not him. EWS and NSA have a great history of being polite, friendly and helpful, they've got no moderation record of note, and importantly they've got both current experience of military gameplay and reliable recent activity on the forum. Nephmir hasn't been around much recently.

Assuming he wants it, I'll revert this guide to Nephmir's ownership. For the time being, it'll remain pinned in this forum plus linked from the FAQs. If EWS + NSA's "Introduction to Military Gameplay" materialises, that will be pinned/linked; whether this one remains so as well depends on what the new thread is like, and whether this is updated.

I've created the imaginatively named "Military Gameplay Guide" nation, which will have mod-enforced shared ownership; I'll TG EWS and NSA the password. The game helpfully gave it the random slogan "Might Makes Right", which is surely a sign of raider bias to come :P

If you want someone else involved with it, let me know, and that should be fine.

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing what they come up with. There are a few other names, but not sure how well they'll work together with the first two, while EWS/NSA should make a good team. The issue was more someone else having Neph's work and having it passed off as their own (wasn't involved in GP the first time it happened and was given to BT, so obviously didn't speak up then).
Information
Wishlist

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:36 am

I would indeed accept the guide back should I have the opportunity, and I wouldn't be concerned if it remained pinned or unpinned. I do intend to update it and fix it (I have a winter break from university coming up in December which will be the prefect time to do so), however if it is deemed "unfit" for remaining pinned after I update it I would still maintain it, so it can be freely linked to as reference. My original motivation behind the guide was not to solely have something pinned, but rather to maintain a reference for those looking for it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:51 am

Will the sections on Defending and Invading finally be added?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:31 am

Tinhampton wrote:Will the sections on Defending and Invading finally be added?

Not sure if you're asking about this one or the new one. NSA and I have drafted an outline very similar to my post above, and will begin to flesh it out when we both enter winter break. Neph is free to do whatever he wishes with his guide now, can't speak for him.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:21 pm

The guide is terribly outdated, and contains a lot of excess information in a lot of sections while providing not enough details in other sections. It needs such a massive overhaul that I will be essentially rewriting it from scratch using the existing guide as a template, and it will need several hours worth of time to complete. As such, I plan on doing this in my winter break from university this December.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Nephmir isn't out of the question, but given we're essentially picking from scratch (the current guide is 2 years out of date), we're picking the best candidate(s) - and at present, that's not him. EWS and NSA have a great history of being polite, friendly and helpful, they've got no moderation record of note, and importantly they've got both current experience of military gameplay and reliable recent activity on the forum. Nephmir hasn't been around much recently.

King Nephmir II wrote:The guide is terribly outdated, and contains a lot of excess information in a lot of sections while providing not enough details in other sections. It needs such a massive overhaul that I will be essentially rewriting it from scratch using the existing guide as a template, and it will need several hours worth of time to complete. As such, I plan on doing this in my winter break from university this December.

Any update on this, Sedg or Neph?
Last edited by Cerillium on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Sygian II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sygian II » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm

The guide was given back to Nephmir for him to update, and he just explained what he would do and when if you'd read the post above yours. :P
Benevolent Thomas wrote:The Black Hawks continue to be the largest and most successful invader organization in NationStates

Maj. Sygian

Council Advisor of The Black Hawks

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Sygian II wrote:The guide was given back to Nephmir for him to update, and he just explained what he would do and when if you'd read the post above yours. :P

I did. Mentors get odd questions from players. I've had two recently ask about military gameplay. I normally refer them here (my own knowledge is extremely out of date) but this guide obviously needs a revamp. I sent them to the Gameplay Advice thread instead. Just wanted an approximate release date to pass along to others.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:07 pm

Cerillium wrote:
Sygian II wrote:The guide was given back to Nephmir for him to update, and he just explained what he would do and when if you'd read the post above yours. :P

I did. Mentors get odd questions from players. I've had two recently ask about military gameplay. I normally refer them here (my own knowledge is extremely out of date) but this guide obviously needs a revamp. I sent them to the Gameplay Advice thread instead. Just wanted an approximate release date to pass along to others.

My winter break from University begins late next week. I will fully begin work on it then and the guide should be completely redone for the new year at the latest. I apologize for delays but I have indeed begun working on drafting it, progress will pick up rapidly next week.
Last edited by King Nephmir II on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trevekkia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Puppet nations

Postby Trevekkia » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 am

Are creating a bunch of alts the only way to wage war in the game?

Marshian nation12
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Marshian nation12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am

King Nephmir II wrote:
Complete Guide to Military Gameplay
A complete guide to NationStates military combat, tactics, and regional security.

Update 4.0
Recently Updated
  • Guide returned to Nephmir.
Coming Soon!
  • Complete guide revamp 2017

Quoting Sections
When a new chapter is added, all of the chapters may be rearranged in order to place the added chapter within a logical order. This means that chapters are subject to move up or down posts as they are edited.

To link someone to a specific section or chapter, click the "quote" button at the far right next to the section's name and copy the URL. This way, you are linking to the section with the relevant information without the content being subject to change.

Note: this guide was written to update and expand upon the "Basics of Military Gameplay" guide by Naivetry.

I like it when you say a military cadence.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay