NATION

PASSWORD

The Osiris Outlaw: All the News That's Fit to Take

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient)
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

The Osiris Outlaw: All the News That's Fit to Take

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Welcome to the Osiris Outlaw. The official news service of Osiris under the Temple of Ptah.

Actual news to follow:
Last edited by The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

We've managed to grab this interview with Osiris's recently elected "Keeper of the Deshret": Treize Dreizehn.

The Osiris Outlaw: Treize, congratulations on your recent election victory as Keeper of Osiris's legislature, the Deshret.

Treize_Dreizehn: Thank you.

The Osiris Outlaw: For the benefit of readers who may not be aware, can you tell us a little about the Deshret and the Keeper's role in it?

Treize_Dreizehn: Well, the Deshret is Osiris's legislative body. We work to make sure that laws get passed. The Keeper, he's a bit like a speaker in a traditional legislature. He makes sure that things move to vote, and handles a lot of the administrative duties involved in passing legislation.

The Osiris Outlaw: What is the Deshret working on right now, and what would you like to see it working on during this term?

Treize_Dreizehn: Right now we're working towards our constitution. The first thing we passed was a set of procedures for passing future laws... and that necessitated a speaker. So we had to have an election.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

The Osiris Outlaw: You mentioned work on a constitution. When do you think that might go to vote, and what else would you like to see the Deshret working on during this term, once that's completed?

Treize_Dreizehn: I think the constitution is probably a week out, if I had money to bet. After that I imagine we'll sink our teeth into a legal code. I know one is being drafted by our Scribe of Justice, and I'm eager to really see how it can be improved. After the legal code, I get the strong suspicion we'll need to go back and revisit our previous legislation a bit. No amount of planning and preparation will account for all problems after all. Once we get them squared away, I think a lot of what we legislate will be based on what the citizens of Osiris want. The Deshret is open to all citizens who participate in a ministry even a little, so I think we'll have good ideas from active people.

The Osiris Outlaw: You mentioned the Deshret's activity requirements, which makes it unique compared to other assemblies. Why this difference, and how do you see it working better than just including all citizens?

Treize_Dreizehn: Every legislature struggles with the question: "How do we maintain an active and interested member base?" And every region answers it a little differently. In Osiris, we pride ourselves on our ingenuity and originality. It's become apparent that a legislature involving almost anyone who wants in needs to have some activity requirements. And because of that, those who get involved in the Deshret have a vested interest in the region, and are, generally at least, more established members of the community. I won't name them, but there are plenty of folks out there who are members of almost every legislature in NS. This isn't a mark against them, but we want folks committed to THIS community.

The Osiris Outlaw: Will the Deshret basically look the same as it does now under the new constitution, and what else can we expect to see from that constitution?

Treize_Dreizehn: I think that yes, the Deshret will look essentially the same. What else to expect? A "challenge" system for selecting new Pharaohs, outlining of rights for citizens, a judicial branch of government, a more concrete and defined executive, a guardian system, and even clear delineation of the administration of the forums. It will be inclusive, comprehensive, and most of all fair and democratic. Just how we like it.

The Osiris Outlaw: That sounds very different from the previous constitution under the Kemetic Republic. Would you say that there has been a move toward greater democracy in Osiris with the OFO?

Treize_Dreizehn: I think so. The Old Osiris was exactly the sort of oligarchy Milo made jokes about fighting. From the size of the various branches of government, to the power it gave the pharaoh, it's fairly remarkable that it ever made a claim to be democratic at all. Sure there was voting, for the same people to fill the few available positions. And with the same guiding hand behind the scenes, making sure the "right" people got elected. We don't play those kinds of games here anymore. This is a New Osiris, with a new mandate for the people.

The Osiris Outlaw: Speaking of the old Osiris, there has been some controversy that you have returned to Osiris. You had some harsh words about Osiris and vice versa, particularly in July. What made you decide to get involved again?

Treize_Dreizehn: To be perfectly honest, they got rid of that lump Biyah. I was iffy on the prospects until I saw that. Then I knew, this had to be better than what they had before. And I was right.

The Osiris Outlaw: Any plans to run for higher office after the constitution passes?

Treize_Dreizehn: Absolutely not. I'd probably just coup again.

* Treize_Dreizehn coughs

The Osiris Outlaw: And what is your hope for the Deshret as it moves forward? For Osiris in general?

Treize_Dreizehn: My hope for the Deshret is the same as Osiris, that it keeps moving in the direction it has been heading, towards greater democracy, and freedom. Freedom from the obvious tyranny like that I've perpetrated and the more subtle ones that have been festering for years. Freedom is always a better choice for the people.

The Osiris Outlaw: Well, Treize, it's certainly interesting to see you in Osiris' spotlight again, this time in a more positive way. Thank you for sitting down with us and we're looking forward to seeing what the Deshret has to offer over the coming term.

Treize_Dreizehn: Thanks for having me. Oh, and visit the Osiris Booth at the world fair, it's a real hoot!
Last edited by The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambrella
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Ambrella » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Probably a needless stab at the old government during a time that should be about healing, but a good read nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
Sopo, former big wig of Europeia and denizen of Bloopsjooj.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Interview with Venico

<The Osiris Outlaw> First of all, I'd like to welcome Venico the Warrior Pharaoh to The Osiris Outlaw's official interroga...interview room.

<Venico> Why thank you, however I would feel more comfortable not strapped to my chair.

<The Osiris Outlaw> That is for your own safety.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And that of our audience.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And mine.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Mostly mine.

<The Osiris Outlaw> I'd like to ask you a question that is probably still on the minds of a few people... when did the first seeds of the OFO begin to be planted, and why?

<Venico> That's not something I can truly answer with a date but with events. When I started seeing people genuinely being afraid of others in the community and having the Empire manipulate this fear for their own purposes.

<Venico> When I saw people's real life circumstances being used as leverage for political moves, I think I decided I was going to do something.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Without going into specifics, can you go into more detail?

<Venico> Without those people's permissions I don't think I can too much. But Asta certainly was threatened more than once and had circumstances used against her. I'd talk about others but it's not really my place. However I can talk about the amount of threats that were issued against the community and the region. If I had a nickel for every time I heard the phrase, "...or it's war" from Biyah I'd be buying some serious stamps.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> I decided that I thought I could answer, "Ok"

<Venico> And I did

<The Osiris Outlaw> And when you decided to act, what form did that action take?

<Venico> Well first, putting myself into a position to help the community. This started with trying to be active in Roleplaying. Trying to get the military active to attract new faces and things like that. I first started with peaceful means of trying to fix the community.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> However, the community remained toxic

<Venico> So

<Venico> I started maneuvering politically. I wanted to be in a position that I could win the next delegacy election. I started logging some serious executive experience while being Grand Vizier. I was spear heading the effort to gain treaties with regions.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> Unfortunately, the Empire managed to force Asta to resign.

<Venico> And I was thrown into the delegacy with the general consent of everyone. Heck, I even got their support at first.

<The Osiris Outlaw> After you were thrust into the delegacy, what did you do then?

<Venico> Well, I reluctantly told Koth of my plans. He seemed on board and told me he always had my back. After a few days we talked to Cormac and he took a lot more convincing. However at the end, he joined.

<Venico> After that, we started seriously planning

<Venico> Assembling lists of potential allies, neutrals, and enemies.

<Venico> Listing objectives in order to sway people.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> Every day we'd show up to our channel, sit down with our coffee and look at what we had to do for that day. Write a new WFE. Write a gameplay statement, things like that. From mid-November til December 10th, it was solid work.

<Venico> Quite honestly, we over planned. The only supporter that Empire ended up getting was Spiritus.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> And the decisions we had to make too of when to execute.

<Venico> I originally wanted to do it December 15th in order to give ourselves time to get our stuff together before the New Year.

<Venico> However I was advised that doing this on the day of elections would make it seem like I was afraid of elections and I would be compared to uhh someone. >.>

<The Osiris Outlaw> When you did execute, what was the first reaction, from the region and the rest of NS?

<Venico> December 10th. We triggered for Osiris. On update I banned Dalimbar from the region. Seconds later I had thrown up a new WFE. After that I issued a region wide telegram and posted our Gameplay statement.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And the reactions?

<Venico> The initial reaction was a lot softer than we expected

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> From within the region, and specifically from Empire, can you give us an idea of the climate post announcement?

<Venico> Biyah and Co. didn't show up until about 14 hours later and most people were generally accepting of this. The biggest issue was the fact that we were pushing the Brotherhood of Malice so much

<The Osiris Outlaw> Do you regret that?

<Venico> Not at all.

<Venico> BoM logged HOURS of work into this

<Venico> BoM was the one pulling all of the initial support from our allies.

<Venico> BoM was the region that was going to spearhead this war effort against Empire.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Were you disappointed at all that the opposition crumbled so quickly?

<Venico> Honestly...yes.

<Venico> I mean for the sake of Osiris I am glad

<Venico> But I am a fighter in NationStates and for the amount of planning we did and all of the back up plans we made. When you do all of this and you finally execute ready to fight a war with your hardest...

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Venico> And nobody even bothers showing up. It's deflating

<The Osiris Outlaw> So, with no real enemy to fight, what came next?

<Venico> Legislation. Setting up a solid foundation for the region to build off of. Starting a community that was no longer fueled on conflict and toxicity.

<Venico> And it...worked. Or at least it seems to have so far.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And to the ends of starting a community, what did you do?

<Venico> I'm a culture guy. I run RPs, I spam, I talk with people, I run the IRC channel. The stuff I'm good at. But I'm also the emergency guy when I'm around. And when I'm not that's Cormac.

<The Osiris Outlaw> When the government needed to be set up and appointments needed to be made, how did you handle that?

<Venico> Oh well as people started flooding in I saw who I thought would be best in situations and placed them where they would be productive and enjoy what they were doing. Take Raven for example.

<Venico> Raven has been an absolute blessing to the OFO. He loves doing Foreign Affairs and has managed that solidly in several regions and abroad.

<Venico> He was a no brainer.

<Venico> NES for security was just smart. Hileville seemed enthusiastic about starting a mentoring program for integration. It's all about just letting people find what they like to do.

<Venico> Or at least what they're good at.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> So where do you see yourself in the New Osiris you've built?

<Venico> Culture, military, legislation if I manage to get better at it. Osiris has been my home for months now. It's what gave NS life again for me. So for that I will always owe it.

<Venico> Anytime it needs me, it only has to call.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> So, now that we've covered the really burning questions... let's talk a little bit about a few other topics.

<The Osiris Outlaw> You mentioned Spiritus earlier.

<Venico> Aye

<The Osiris Outlaw> It's widely known that Spiritus declared hostilities almost from the moment of the OFO's initial announcement, how did you react to that then, and how do you plan to deal with that going forward?

<Venico> My first reaction was, "Finally someone to actually fight!" however that soon turned into a realization that we still weren't really being opposed. My plan is to let it lie for now. As long as they stay inactive in their promises then I'll just gently push them to retract their statements. However should they choose to engage me then I'll do my best to put them in the ground.

<The Osiris Outlaw> More recently TRR decided to close relations with Osiris, what was your reaction to that?

<Venico> Quite frankly, it's understandable. I truly do understand the want to step back and just watch until we have our stuff together. Osiris has been an absolute hot mess the last year and it's ok to just let us sort our stuff out.

<Venico> That's one of the reasons I started this.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> Well I think that about covers it, anything else you'd like to add?

<Venico> Yeah, if anyone has any questions, issues, concerns, general ramblings/hatemail. Just come and talk me. I'm always open to conversations and I love hearing hearing what I'm doing wrong. How can I address your concerns if I don't know about 'em? Ah well I look forward to more Outlaw articles. =P

<The Osiris Outlaw> As do we. I'll get someone to come in and loosen those straps.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Thanks for your time, and thanks for the interview.

<Venico> Thank you also, and be quick with the loosening please. My fingers are turning blue.

<The Osiris Outlaw> This has been an Osiris Outlaw exclusive interview with the Warrior Pharaoh Venico.

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this interro...interview.
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Heroism
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heroism » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Sorry, I wasn't around when Astarial left the delegacy and Venico became delegate, but were the circumstances? You say she was forced to resign? Could you explain/talk about the events that lead up to that/ link me?

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Those were things that I'd prefer for Asta to answer rather than myself. I don't know what lines to tread and not to tread there. Perhaps her interview with McM might clarify that. Gimme a sec to find it.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274521

Look at the questioning of what made her resign. The questions preceding that also help shed light on the situation.
Last edited by Venico on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Ahh, excellent.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Interview with Glen-Rhodes

<The Osiris Outlaw> Welcome friends to the official interview chamber of The Osiris Outlaw. Don't mind the torture implements along the wall, we had a surprise visit from the Spanish Inquisition.

<The Osiris Outlaw> That said, I'd like to welcome our special guest: Glen-Rhodes

<The Osiris Outlaw> How is it going?

<Glen-Rhodes> It's going great! I had my last first class of undergrad today, and the professor is a cute-pie.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Haha. Great.

<The Osiris Outlaw> So, Glen, first up, I think on everyone's mind: What happened in TSP between you and the cabinet?

<The Osiris Outlaw> In your own words.

<Glen-Rhodes> It was basically a miscommunication of the Cabinet relationship.

<Glen-Rhodes> I had a different idea of the role of the Chair of the Assembly, and a completely different notion of the Cabinet as a political body. There is this idea of "Cabinet collective responsibility" that I don't think was ever communicated clearly until after the scandal.

<Glen-Rhodes> Ultimately, to me, what I did was not that serious. But other members of the Cabinet felt betrayed, and I get where they're coming from, because they truly believed in the notion that every Cabinet member should support each other in the public eye.

<Glen-Rhodes> While I ended up resigning, I feel like the relationship between myself, Escade, Kris, etc. has been repaired. We have a new dissent policy in place so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

<Glen-Rhodes> I think that's all I have to say, unless you have more questions about it.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> Well, what was the core policy that brought about this schism?

<Glen-Rhodes> Disagreement over how the Cabinet handled the Venico coup in Osiris. I wanted to stick with the strong language we used when the KRO was dissolved. But Escade and Kris had just been elected under a campaign of "friendship and cooperation," so the general trend was towards delivering a very soft statement. Additionally, there was at least one Cabinet member who fully supported everything Venico was doing.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<Glen-Rhodes> In the end, I drew a red line that we must not recognize Venico's regime as legitimate.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And your disagreements with this "other cabinet member" are what eventually spilled into the public arena?

<Glen-Rhodes> No, not specifically with them. I said when I issued the red line that I would feel compelled to publicly distance myself from the decision. To me, the Cabinet statement abandoned all the work we had done strengthening the norm against GCR coups.

<Glen-Rhodes> It was a disagreement with the entire Cabinet, not just one member.

* The Osiris Outlaw nods

<The Osiris Outlaw> After the progress Osiris has made, do you still stand by your original position?

<Glen-Rhodes> I was the primary author of the Cabinet statement when the KRO was dissolved, and I still stand by the statement. I need to see a popular constitution and free and fair elections.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our most recent election for Keeper.

<Glen-Rhodes> Until that happens, I don't personally support recognition of any post-KRO regime.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Have you been keeping up with the progress in Osiris?

<Glen-Rhodes> I haven't been keeping up in a very detailed manner, because my forum access is so low and not a lot of news comes out. However, to my knowledge, there has not been a region-wide election for a new government.

<The Osiris Outlaw> There is, as of this interview, a fully drafted and nearly complete constitution ready to go to vote in the next few days, is why I'm asking.

<Glen-Rhodes> I would love to be able to see that constitution, if Osiris would open up its forums. :P

<The Osiris Outlaw> It's visible to outsiders. There's even a thread for public comment. ;)

<The Osiris Outlaw> I'll grab you a link.

<The Osiris Outlaw> http://w11.zetaboards.com/OFO/topic/9931608/1/

<The Osiris Outlaw> there you go

<Glen-Rhodes> It's great that you guys are finally so close to having a new constitution. But I remain cautious still, just because of the history.

<The Osiris Outlaw> So you're cautious, but are you still holding to your original position?

<Glen-Rhodes> Yes, because I think it's important to hold Osiris to democratic standards.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Wasn't your original position to not recognize the government at all? Does that view equate to holding Osiris to democratic standards?

<Glen-Rhodes> The original position is to not recognize any post-KRO regime until the adoption of a popular constitution, and until free and fair elections are held for a new government.

<The Osiris Outlaw> And to those that see you as softening your stance in that interpretation?

<Glen-Rhodes> I'm not aware of anybody who thinks I've softened my stance. During the Venico coup, I sensed that people felt my stance was unreasonable.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Do you think it's fair to have such a hard line stance with regards to democracy in Osiris and then to not to participate in the democratic process?

<Glen-Rhodes> I'm not sure what you mean by participation in the democratic process. Are you talking about me directly participating in the transition in Osiris, or TSP helping Osiris on a more region-to-region level?

<The Osiris Outlaw> Either of the two.

<Glen-Rhodes> I think it's absolutely fair to hold Osiris to democratic standards in either case. As somebody who does not hold any identification with Osiris, I shouldn't be involved in crafting their new governmental systems. However, I strongly believe that democracy is the best form of regional government, and that its universal adoption is within the interests of the GCR community as a whole.

<Glen-Rhodes> On a region-to-region level, there is more TSP could have done. However, I think there lacked a general will on both sides to work with each other on things like constitution drafting and elections

<Glen-Rhodes> Osiris viewed the Assembly repealing the TSP-Osiris treaty as a hostile act, and there were (and are) plenty of people in TSP who think we should keep a healthy distance from Osiris for the time being.

<Glen-Rhodes> So even if we offered help, I'm not sure anybody would have accepted it.

<The Osiris Outlaw> To note: The drafting on the constitution has been taking place since at least the 15th. It's been publicly viewable since then.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Does it seems at all strange to hold the viewpoint that promotion of democracy in the GCR's is important, to the level of alienation of your colleagues, while refusing to take the time to participate in the process itself?

<Glen-Rhodes> I think the idea of me going into Osiris, having no personal identification with the region, and influencing its future government system is not appropriate under democratic standards.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Well, let's be honest you've been a part of Osiris in the past.

<Glen-Rhodes> Yes, I was a member of Osiris a long while ago.

<Glen-Rhodes> It would be different if TSP and Osiris came to an agreement and I went there as a kind of electoral systems advisor or something like that. But as a private person, it would be inappropriate.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Inappropriate how?

<The Osiris Outlaw> Are you saying that new members shouldn't participate?

<Glen-Rhodes> It's inappropriate because I have no intention of being in Osiris. I don't want to be in Osiris and I don't see myself in Osiris in the future. The government should be created by people who will be governed by it.

<The Osiris Outlaw> But the government should still be created in the way you envision?

<Glen-Rhodes> If I had the power to create Osiris in my own vision, it would look very different from what it is now. :P Advocating democracy doesn't mean dictating the form it takes.

<Glen-Rhodes> This isn't a very foreign concept, either. In the real world, democratic states advocate democracy all the time. People in Western democracies support democratization abroad, but nobody believes private American citizens should be dictating the form it takes. Democratization is not synonymous with imperialism.

<The Osiris Outlaw> How does Osiris today veer off from the vision you have of it?

<Glen-Rhodes> Hm. Well, in my experience, Osiris likes to centralize power and authority.

<Glen-Rhodes> The Pharaoh serves so many roles, for example.

<Glen-Rhodes> Head of State. Head of Goverment. Commander-in-chief.

<Glen-Rhodes> I would start with dismantling that position.

<Glen-Rhodes> So you can see why I'm not involved in crafting specifically the new Osiris government. :P

<The Osiris Outlaw> Are these the kinds of changes you see as key to the idea of "democracy"?

<Glen-Rhodes> I think there are changes Osiris can make to avoid its past instability, but it's not my role to dictate to Osiris what it _must_ do. Returning to popularly elected government is a major step in the right direction.

<Glen-Rhodes> I can offer my advice, but it sounds like you're trying to paint it as me telling Osiris what it has to do.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Let's get back to the basic point.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Can you tell me the virtue, in your own words, of democracy in NS? Specifically in the GCRs?

<Glen-Rhodes> Democracy gives people the ability to engage the system and change it. It allows people to be involved. In the best forms of democracy, it allows _new_ people to be involved in substantive and substantial ways. That is the lifeblood of any massive multiplayer online game, so not only does democratic decision-making just make things more fair, but I sincerely believe it keeps NationStates healthy as a game.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Fair in what way?

<Glen-Rhodes> The innate fairness of democracy with which we're all familiar. See the countless numbers of classical and contemporary democratic theorists if you want a deeper meaning of the fairness of democracy.

<The Osiris Outlaw> It might seem like it has a self-evident answer, but the question is in the context of NS.

<The Osiris Outlaw> In NS, fair in what way?

<Glen-Rhodes> You're going to have to expand, because I don't know what you mean by "in the context of NS." The fairness of democratic decision-making in any context seems self-evident to me.

<The Osiris Outlaw> NS has unique problems and unique solutions to those problems.

<The Osiris Outlaw> The governments formed are much much smaller than the ones that are referenced by the democratic theorists you talked about.

<The Osiris Outlaw> So I ask you, as someone who is likely a leading thinker on this subject... to expand as to how democracy translates to being just as good for a governing 20 people as it does for a governing 200 million people.

<Glen-Rhodes> Sure, but that doesn't change the underpinnings of what makes democratic decision-making fair. NS governments are basically engaging in small-group decision-making, and there's a large body of democratic theory in that field.

<Glen-Rhodes> The basic notion is that if you're being governed by some institution, you should have a say in it.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Is it possible that fairness can be accomplished in micro-governments that without democracy?

<Glen-Rhodes> Fairness can be accomplished without democracy in large groups, as well, it's just very unlikely and very difficult.

<The Osiris Outlaw> So the smaller of a group we talk about, the more likely that becomes?

<Glen-Rhodes> We'd have to get into a discussion on what kinds of benefits or "goods" autocratic regions in NS give their players, and whether they can do it as well as democratic regions.

* The Osiris Outlaw chuckles

<The Osiris Outlaw> I don't think we have time to finish such a discussion.

<Glen-Rhodes> But I think there's always a level of fairness that can only be achieved when the people being governed have a say in the institutions governing them, and you can't really get that without democracy. :P

<Glen-Rhodes> No, we don't, since I'm having friends over the watch American Horror Story tonight!

<Glen-Rhodes> Any less theoretical questions?

<The Osiris Outlaw> I'll ask one final question and let you get out of here: Is it possible that Osiris is moving towards the democracy you've so strongly urged it towards, but your lack of attention has kept you from noticing?

<Glen-Rhodes> It's possible that I haven't noticed some kind of dramatic shift in Osiris culture towards democracy. Like I said, I'm cautious of the progress being made, so truly only time will tell.

<Glen-Rhodes> But to be fair, Osiris _hasn't_ passed a constitution nor has it held free and fair elections for a new government. :P

<Glen-Rhodes> Those are the kinds of things one would see in an NS news service.

<The Osiris Outlaw> Alright, well it was great to sit down with you.

<Glen-Rhodes> Thanks for interviewing me. :) It's always nice to get selected for these.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:22 pm

I noticed how you originally published this with your main nation, Douria.

I noticed.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Mahaj wrote:I noticed how you originally published this with your main nation, Douria.

I noticed.

Weren't you in the channel when I said "By the way, in case any of you can't see through my cunning secret identity, I'm The Osiris Outlaw"? ;)

Edit: And if we're all honest, it's not like I'm hiding from the people I interview ;). I have single account because more people than just me will be running the interviews(such as the first one where someone else interviewed ME) or contributing news articles.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I think the bigger news is that scientists have developed attractive sentient pies.
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Mad Jack wrote:I think the bigger news is that scientists have developed attractive sentient pies.

This is the single most important scientific achievement of 2014, no matter what else happens this year.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Mad Jack wrote:I think the bigger news is that scientists have developed attractive sentient pies.

Well I am an enthusiastic pie supporter, and I vehemently oppose the dictatorial regime of cake that currently exists in TSP. :evil:

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm

That's treason GR! You shall be summarily executed for this blasphemy. >:(
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:11 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Mahaj wrote:I noticed how you originally published this with your main nation, Douria.

I noticed.

Weren't you in the channel when I said "By the way, in case any of you can't see through my cunning secret identity, I'm The Osiris Outlaw"? ;)

Edit: And if we're all honest, it's not like I'm hiding from the people I interview ;). I have single account because more people than just me will be running the interviews(such as the first one where someone else interviewed ME) or contributing news articles.

If you write an article anonymous, some people will end up shouting about having to hide and jump on you.

If you write an article semi-anonymous, some people will assume the above and do that.

If you write an article, some people will still jump on you.

:P
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Anumia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anumia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 am

Jump up,
Jump up
And get down!

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Osiris: Moving Forward.

By Treize Dreizehn

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Hey. At least I didn't put his name on the mouse's head.

It's probably safe to say that 2013 in Osiris was a year of instability. Starting with Biyah's coup at the end of 2012 the region has gone through unstable times the likes of which few large regions experience. And yet, these days, most Osirians are fairly optimistic about the future.

So what changed? I asked Abacathea, "In my nationstates tenure, Osiris has always been regarded as the trouble child of the GCR family, but currently, it seems more like a community than it ever has before, I think it's got a good chance this time of stabilizing and moving forward in that regard. The core of any region is the strength of the community within it".

Of course, it's moving forward on multiple fronts. Yesterday, the Delegates Venico and Koth removed the last vestiges of "Biyah's Empire" from the region. Finally moving on from the last war to the future, Venico commented, "It is hopefully the last chapter to this war," says Venico, "With these final threats removed, I can feel much better when I hand over the delegacy to someone else. I feel that Osiris is moving into a new age of stability and unity. This is the first step in building the community Osiris deserves. God bless the OFO."

I AM THE LAW

"You know, upon closer inspection I believe you're right. This actually is a low fat latte Jim. Jim?"

Those aren't idle words. The region has begun voting on a constitution, which explicitly states that the current Pharaoh will be eligible for a challenge as soon as it passes. Thus Venico will either be running for re-election very soon, or he'll be handing control of the region over to his successor. As Hileville put it, "This is an exciting time for Osiris. So much work has been put into drafting this Constitution and I am very optimistic about the result. This shows how a community no longer hampered by constant threats can come together and build for the future. I anxiously await the passage of this document and the future of Osiris."

The glass is completely full if you count the air

The first step to beating alcoholism is admitting you have a problem. And being a quitter.

Even Glen-Rhodes, who has opposed the Osiris Fraternal Order since its formation(and who is the recently elected Minster of Foreign Affairs in The South Pacific) seemed optimistic when I talked to him, "I can't comment for the Cabinet, but I think this is a positive development for Osiris. I've been stressing the importance for Osiris to operate under the rule of law. Hopefully popular elections will be held regularly, and I encourage Osiris to put more of its officials up for regular elections as well. I wish all the best to the citizens of Osiris who have worked hard towards this constitution.

Cormac, one of the architects of this New Osiris has been working hard on the constitution over the last several weeks. With help from numerous fellow members of the Deshret, he has crafted and molded a piece of legislation that outlines the long term future of Osiris. He had this to say, "I'm proud of how far Osiris has come in such a short time, passing a constitution with more democratic oversight and government accountability than Osiris has ever seen. I think the State Code will serve Osiris well and keep our government moving in the right direction."

I guess acceptance is the last stage.

In case you didn't get the subtle humor, the first stage is denial.

With a constitution going to vote that guarantees regular elections, keeps power in the hands of the people, and establishes significant citizen rights, the question is no longer "Can Osiris become a stable democracy again," but rather "Will the rest of NS accept Osiris as a stable democracy?" When I asked Mahaj to comment on the recent developments in Osiris, his response was "No comment."

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The Osiris Outlaw is the official news service of Osiris.
Last edited by The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

"I am...the law!" =P But all around a good article. Thoroughly enjoyed the pictures.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Wickedly evil people
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Wickedly evil people » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 am

constitutions and written law are shackles on freedom
Eli

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 am

Loved the Pinky cartoon.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 am

Wickedly evil people wrote:constitutions and written law are shackles on freedom

Constitutions and written law are the very protectors of individual freedom, actually.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Osiris Outlaw (Ancient) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Osiris Outlaw Outstanding Warrants:

Osiris passed a constitution today that included a clause explicitly permitting elections to commence immediately. As such, within minutes, elections began to get underway. Currently two candidates have declared(including long time resident Lord Ravenclaw), and more are sure to come in the next few days. The Osiris Outlaw will continue to bring you all the news on this subject as soon as someone leaves it unattended.

The Osiris Outlaw is the official news service of Osiris.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:22 am

A few people tried nominating me for delegate again. O.o If I don't get a break soon I think I'll go mad. So I have declined those nominations unless the race won't be competitive. Because GCRs be crazy. =P
Last edited by Venico on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Anumia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anumia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:56 am

Dictatorship! :P

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads