NATION

PASSWORD

Interview with Belschaft; On GCR Cold War & TRR Media

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
The Runes
Attaché

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Interview with Belschaft; On GCR Cold War & TRR Media

Postby The Runes » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Belschaft describing state policy.

Rach: Welcome to the Rune Stone Mr. Delegate, it's an honour to have you here.

Bel: Thank you, it's a pleasure to be here.

Rach: So now that you've been delegate for a little while so far, how do you feel that's going?

Bel: Well, progress has been slow but steady so far. At present we've been focusing on internal matters, getting the government streamlined and functional in a way it hasn't been for some time. The cabinet and myself is working on implementing our plans, and the first part of that is simply to get the government fully staffed. We're still looking for Deputy Ministers and re-organizing TSP's forums to make them easier to access, once we've done that our big priority is to get as many people involved in running TSP as we can.

Historically we've been governed by a relatively small elected group of people, and we want to change that and involve the region at large in the process of as much as possible. The first part of that simply involves doubling the size of the cabinet, by involving Deputies and a few other officials in policy making, rather than merely giving them work to implement. Once we have done that we have plans for a fairly large program of regional outreach, and our intent is to try and get everyone in TSP involved in some kind of policy making. Be it by giving our ambassadors the independence to interact with foreign governments without needing the cabinet to direct their every move, allowing the New Southern Army to conduct military operations without the Delegate approving each one, or allowing the Ministry of Regional affairs to develop and implement cultural activities by itself.

If everything goes to plan it will be the biggest transferal of power and responsibility from government to region in TSP's history.

Rach: How will you choose these deputies?

Bel: I won't be; the region doesn't need or want me to be micromanaging it. I've asked the various Cabinet members to look for people who are eager to get involved with TSP and make it a better region, regardless of their past experience, but beyond that it's up to them to them.

Rach: Let's talk about some wider trends in NationStates. AMOM discussed the need for people to have WA in order to vote and take part in the region as a citizen. Is this a belief you adhere to?

Bel: No, it's not. The decision to commit yourself entirely to a region, including exclusive WA presence, is an admirable one, but it's not the only measure of loyalty or dedication. There are dozens of different ways to contribute to a region, and only a few of them involve your WA nation. I don't think it's the right move, especially in a GCR, to limit the ways it's possible to be part of the region. My WA nation has been in TSP for quite some time now, but for most of 2011 and 2012 it wasn't; under such a policy I would never have been able to get involved with TSP, and nor would other people like Hileville, Southern Bellz or my vice-Delegate Rebel-topia.

I firmly believe that the GCR's should try to be as open and welcoming as possible to everyone, and putting up artificial barriers to citizenship is not a way to do that.

Rach: Have you had a chance to look at the NS Gameplay changes yet? What are your thoughts on them?

Bel: I have, yes, and have taken the time to give my input. Broadly speaking I think they are moves in the right direction. Some of them, like the Delegate Elect concept, are ones I argued for during and before the summit. The important thing it to improve the current Gameplay Dynamic, and make it both easier and more rewarding for people to take part. The idea of ending 'game over' scenario's where one side wins and the other has no chance of stopping them is something that is fundamentally good for the game, as are the moves to make the GCR's slightly less stagnant.

However, we do have to be careful to maintain the balance of gameplay and not give anyone too strong an advantage. That however is a question of making sure the balance between influence cost/effects is correct for most of the proposals. I only see one idea, the 'Reformation' proposal, that I entirely oppose.

Rach: Lets go to something a bit more juicy, how do you feel about TRRs Media Corporations behaviour during their interview of you?

Bel: I am very irritated at the unprofessional nature of it. I am, in real life, on the editorial staff of a magazine and had one of my people acted in such a manner I would have no choice but to fire them. I had to leave the interview abruptly, and despite having talked to the interviewer dozens of times since when it was conducted no attempt to contact me about it to either finish it or clarify parts of it was made. Instead an extra question was added on at the end, with the explicit implication that I 'ran away' rather than answer it.

The magazine I work at had a similar issue a couple of years ago, when one of our staff doctored an interview to make the interviewee look bad. The journalist in question was fired out of hand, and it was only by printing a very prominent correction and apology that we avoided a libel suit. It's the kind of behavior that shows no journalistic rigor or integrity. The interviewer himself has, since it went up, contacted me to make clear he had no involvement in the decision publish it in that manner of with the editorial line imposed on it. I don't attach any blame to them, clearly the fault lies with his superiors.

Rach: Do you know who his superiors are? Do you approve of having such a political agenda in a paper and do you approve of their anonymous policy?

Bel: I'm given to understand the Director of the TRR Media Corporation is The Church of Satan, though whether or not he was the editor in question I don't know. And no, I don't support either political agenda's or anonymous publication. There is a reason why bi-lines exist; so that we are accountable for what we write, can be fairly criticized for it, and that any bias' on the part of the journalist in question will be obvious. Journalism is about communicating information, not about enforcing a political line. If you find yourself unwilling to put your name to something you have to ask yourself whether or not you should be publishing it.

Rach: Do you feel that the Pacifics news sources fall under a political agenda?

Bel: To a certain degree, yes. NS is a political game, and there are few genuinely independent news sources; often they are run by a regional government, or by members of such wearing different 'hats'. The South Pacific Independent News Network is one of the few that is totally independent of government control, and I neither want or have any editorial control over it. I have high hopes that before my term as Delegate is over they will print at least one critical article about me, as that is what they should be doing; holding my government to account and keeping TSP informed about what we are doing, not spreading propaganda for us.

Rach: So when will we see the South Pacifics news source again?

Bel: That is my hope, yes. Former Delegate Hileville is the current Editor in Chief, and I plan to gently prod him into putting out more content. It is still active, but mainly about TSP's domestic affairs, and it's content doesn't often get posted in the GP forums.

Rach: Where would you like to see NS News Sources go? Do you feel there are any voids?

Bel: It's been a while since we've had a truly non-partisan news service, that isn't run by a region and reports on activity across the game. There's a new one just been set up, the NationStates News Express, that may fill that void. Time will see if it truly is an independent news source however, or just masquerading as one to make it's content seem less partisan.

Rach: Cough, the Runes isn't run by a region :P

Bel: Yes, but to a certain degree the Runes falls foul of the 'different hats' issue, with it being perceived by some as the mouthpiece of Balder's government. I think that is not really the case, but there is a bit of truth to it; however, it does practice a high degree of journalistic diligence.

Rach: What do you feel is the state of current GCR affairs as a whole?

Bel: That's an interesting question, and one that deserves a very long answer, longer than I'm inclined to give. My concern is that anything I say will be taken as being official TSP policy, not my own opinion, and as such I am going to address things in more general terms.

At present a number of GP commentators are starting to talk, publicly and privately, about a GCR 'Cold War', and there is a small amount of truth in that, but the reality is a lot more complicated. Really, the current situation we are in has developed in the aftermath of three events; Unibot's withdrawal from NS, the collapse of the Sovereign Confederation and the coups in TSP and Osiris. For about a year and a half Unibot, and by extension the UDL, acted as the bogey man of the GCR's and concerns about UCR meddling were usually directed towards him. Since he's gone NES and TNI has, to a certain degree, taken his place in that kind of rhetoric. I don't think it's official NPO policy, but the ones making the most noise about it are members of the NPO.

The result of that, combined with TNI's efforts in the TSP and Osiris coups - the UIAF pledged their support for TSP within 12 hours, and had troops online as part of the attrition warfare at every update after that, and their actions in Osiris are better known - has produced a certain amount of tension between the NPO and those GCR's allied with TNI or on friendly terms. Meanwhile with SovCon collapsed, TP has found herself diplomatically isolated and has been seeking new allies, and tried to resurrect the Modern Pacific Alliance as the Modern Pacific-Sinker Alliance.

That effort hasn't gone anywhere as of yet, but the unintentional result of all this is that the GCR's seem to be aligning into two rough blocs, one opposed to TNI and one allied with them. TP-TEP-Lazarus+TWP (who have been diplomatically isolated for a long time, and seem to be trying to leave that state) vs. TSP-Osiris-Balder+TNP (who aren't as close to TNI as the other three but are allied to the others). TRR of course continues to do it's own thing as a FRA member, and seems happy in splendid isolation.

Now, I don't think anyone involved in those regions wants a cold war, and we all have similar objectives and ideals. We are all supporters of GCR-unity and Independence, though our methods and terminology vary. The real risk is that we might stumble into a cold war by accident; the rhetoric has been heating up already between Balder and TP, and relations are becoming more frayed.

That is something that I don't want to see happen, and I have been working to improve TSP-TP relations, and members of TP have being doing the same. Obviously they went to hell during the Milograd coup, and it's going to take a lot of time to move beyond being cordial, but it's something that needs to be done. Even if we didn't have the same objectives as the NPO, they aren't going anywhere.

We all have to learn to live with each other at the end of the day, whatever our differences.

Rach: The idea of a cold war is a fascinatingly fun idea to discuss. Which region would be which country , roughly of course in the event of a cold war?

Bel: Hmm... give me a minute to think about that one.

Well, TP is obviously the USSR, but no one else clearly fits into a real life country in terms of the cold war. TNP is most reminiscent of the modern day US, with it's utterly polarized and dysfunctional legislature and courts. TSP would probably be one of the South American republics, Chile, Argentina or Brazil with Milograd's brief regime being one of their Junta's. Osiris is of course Egypt right now, in the midst of an incredibly complex and messy political situation. Balder has to be a Scandinavian nation, probably Norway. TRR is a sleeping giant who does her own thing, and is neither aligned with one side or the other; China, though obviously not a Maoist one.

TEP and Lazarus are harder to place for me. A lot of people have called TWP NS' Somalia, and there is a certain amount of truth in that. Whichever side TSP is on is, of course, the good side.

Rach: Any last words before we wrap up?

Bel: Well, obviously I'd like to thank the Rune's for having me here today, and would like to invite anyone who hasn't been involved in TSP to come give us a visit. We're a very friendly place and looking to get new people involved.

Rach: Thanks for coming :)

Bel: Always a pleasure :)
Last edited by The Runes on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 pm

I must admit that I am skeptical about The Runes questioning the Pacific Press' political impartiality* because the reporter's active political standing would, ironically enough, benefit from making PNN look bad.

Otherwise, this is a skillfully conducted interview that I really enjoyed reading. It's pretty interesting: nice work.

* I am referring to the part of the interview where the question "Do you feel that the Pacifics news sources fall under a political agenda?" is asked. I cannot be certain about whether or not Rach was referring to The Pacific's news sources, or media in the GCRs in general, given the lack of an apostrophe after the word "Pacific". I assumed the former based on the question's diction and way of phrasing it. I don't think it would've been phrased in the way it was if the latter was the case, but if it was, it would make a lot more sense to me.
Last edited by Milograd on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Retired

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Milograd wrote:I must admit that I am skeptical about The Runes questioning the Pacific Press' political impartiality* because the reporter's active political standing would, ironically enough, benefit from making PNN look bad.

Otherwise, this is a skillfully conducted interview that I really enjoyed reading. It's pretty interesting: nice work.

* I am referring to the part of the interview where the question "Do you feel that the Pacifics news sources fall under a political agenda?" is asked. I cannot be certain about whether or not Rach was referring to The Pacific's news sources, or media in the GCRs in general, given the lack of an apostrophe after the word "Pacific". I assumed the former based on the question's diction and way of phrasing it. I don't think it would've been phrased in the way it was if the latter was the case, but if it was, it would make a lot more sense to me.

Hmmm.... when I did the interview I thought I saw an apostrophe and answered in regards to GCR news services in general, but yes, I think you are correct about the intent of the question. Regardless, my answer would have been nearly identical.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BELSCHAFT
GUARDIAN OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

With the cooperation of Federation Forces, all of your bases now belong to us.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Oh apostrophes always kill me :P
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Solorni wrote:Oh apostrophes always kill me :P

You don't seem dead enough to have been killed.

Was the question intended to be about PNN's impartiality, or GCR media impartiality in general?
Last edited by Milograd on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired

Solorni
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Milograd wrote:
Solorni wrote:Oh apostrophes always kill me :P

You don't seem dead enough to have been killed.

Was the question intended to be about PNN's impartiality, or GCR media impartiality in general?

GCR media impartiality given the wide proliferation of media and in particular Official Regional Media. Interestingly enough, this paper is a private enterprise.

It was originally named the Globe & Post, after the potential ancient news source in EoE but later re-named in Balder to the Rune Stone given the fact that the Globe & Post is a very english name. It's known as the Globe in Europeia still, but I believe that the paper is older in Balder and expanded into Europeia. I'm not certain that the Globe and Post was an actual news source in Balder and if it was it was short lived.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

People United Together
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby People United Together » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:19 am

Great interview, thoroughly entertaining, well worth procrastinating IRL. :ugeek:

Bel's clear assessment of the GCRs led me to make one simple observation:

TSP, Osiris, Balder, and TNP are "fast" or "hot" regions with more people who focus on action. TP, TEP, Lazarus, and TWP are "slow" or "cold" regions with less people who focus on content. The slow regions have all recently pulled out of periods of inactivity, while the fast regions have recuperated from internal divisions and leadership set backs. Perhaps I'm wrong--after all, I'm just an impertinent nobody :p

TRR...seems happy in splendid isolation.

Made me lol. The Rejected Realms is indeed content as the misfit region of misfits. /muchlove
Put, an impertinent nobody.

Repeal SC#109

Karpathos
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Karpathos » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 am

Looks like someone got awfully worried that her image was tarnished by election fixing allegations. Perhaps I should locate some logs where her majesty recounted the tale to me...
Last edited by Karpathos on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honor Guard to Black adder's cunning plan
The Emmanuel Goldstein of Osiris
Veteran of The Great Patriotic War & the ADN proxy wars
Last Native of Greece
Foremer RLA Red Guard
Former head if he USSR KGB
Forner member of SECO
Froner Lt. in The DEN
[spoiler]So long as there is imperialism in the world, a permanent peace is impossible.
[/spoiler]
Aperi is Aperi.

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:01 am

Karpathos wrote:Looks like someone got awfully worried that her image was tarnished by election fixing allegations. Perhaps I should locate some logs where her majesty recounted the tale to me...

Please, do. I'm sure they would make fascinating reading assuming they exist.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Aww, Karp's got the hots for Rach.

How cuuuuuuuuuute. ^__^
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

Karpathos
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Karpathos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:40 am

Mad Jack wrote:Aww, Karp's got the hots for Rach.

How cuuuuuuuuuute. ^__^

She's hawt. :kiss:
Honor Guard to Black adder's cunning plan
The Emmanuel Goldstein of Osiris
Veteran of The Great Patriotic War & the ADN proxy wars
Last Native of Greece
Foremer RLA Red Guard
Former head if he USSR KGB
Forner member of SECO
Froner Lt. in The DEN
[spoiler]So long as there is imperialism in the world, a permanent peace is impossible.
[/spoiler]
Aperi is Aperi.

Gates the great
Civilian

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gates the great » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:15 pm

The Runes wrote:
Bel: Really, the current situation we are in has developed in the aftermath of three events; Unibot's withdrawal from NS, the collapse of the Sovereign Confederation and the coups in TSP and Osiris.

Interesting summation.

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Karpathos wrote:
Mad Jack wrote:Aww, Karp's got the hots for Rach.

How cuuuuuuuuuute. ^__^

She's hawt. :kiss:

Perhaps, but Nev would probably win in a fight.
Last edited by Milograd on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 am

In all likelyhood they'd join forces and take over the world.

Thanks Milograd, you've doomed us all.

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am

A cold war, eh?

I think a cold war would only exist between TP and TSP if the TP leadership wanted to make an example of TSP. Perhaps if Gaspo was still at the reigns this would be the case, but if AMOM stays involved and influential you can rest assured he will try to create a Pan-Pacific relationship of some kind. I am not aware of Karpathos holding particular grudges against TSPers.

TNP and Osiris are allies, and within TWP we are seeking to repair relations with Osiris that have been frayed for some time. I fully expect this to happen. TWP is also currently allied with TP with ever improving relations with TEP (imo).

In my opinion, there are more forces that will lead towards improved pacific relations versus worsening ones. For me, the wildcard is Balder.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific
Former Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired
Punk Daddy - Citizen of TSP

In TWP, we go Commando. - Darkesia

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Punk Reloaded wrote:A cold war, eh?

I think a cold war would only exist between TP and TSP if the TP leadership wanted to make an example of TSP. Perhaps if Gaspo was still at the reigns this would be the case, but if AMOM stays involved and influential you can rest assured he will try to create a Pan-Pacific relationship of some kind. I am not aware of Karpathos holding particular grudges against TSPers.

TNP and Osiris are allies, and within TWP we are seeking to repair relations with Osiris that have been frayed for some time. I fully expect this to happen. TWP is also currently allied with TP with ever improving relations with TEP (imo).

In my opinion, there are more forces that will lead towards improved pacific relations versus worsening ones. For me, the wildcard is Balder.

As I said, I don't think anyone wants a cold war, but that doesn't mean that there won't be one. It's hard to deny that there are certain people in the NPO who currently have a thing against NES, TNI and Balder; all you have to do is read their own propaganda (or the failed Condemen TNI). Now, I don't think NES has ever backed down from a fight in his life, nor can I imagine Balder willingly purging itself of perceived 'TNI Influence' - the people in question are after all some of their oldest and most dedicated members, and it would be roughly equivalent to TSP purging itself of, say, Hileville and SouthernBellz; it's just not going to happen. Therefore if the anti-NES/TNI rhetoric, nonsense about them 'owning' Balder or trying to take over the GCR's, continues then the only possible result is a conflict between Balder and the NPO, or at least the members of it behind the rhetoric. The other GCR's would of course feel required to back their respective allies, and we have ourselves a cold war.

The fundamental issue at the heart of this is a question of what is or isn't a 'legitimate' GCR community, and who gets to judge that. Being a former or present Ind/Imp sphere member doesn't in of itself make it impossible for you to be a genuine member of a GCR community, just as being a member of the NPO doesn't exclude you from being a genuine member of Lazarus, TNP, TEP or even Balder. The reality is that we are all cosmopolitans to a certain degree these days, and much of the senior leadership of the NPO itself have a multitude of different citizenship's.

The easy way to prevent a cold war is also the logical one; those people outside of Balder who have issues with the Ind/Imps there need to accept that they are not the sole and ultimate authority on what is or isn't a legitimate GCR community or who can be part of one, let Balder determine it's own future without outside interference, and focus on building their own regions. Maybe they feel they need some kind of UCRite foe to oppose, but if so, pick a new one; maybe try Gatesville, I don't think any of us like them.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 pm

South Pacific Belschaft wrote:The easy way to prevent a cold war is also the logical one; those people outside of Balder who have issues with the Ind/Imps there need to accept that they are not the sole and ultimate authority on what is or isn't a legitimate GCR community or who can be part of one, let Balder determine it's own future without outside interference, and focus on building their own regions. Maybe they feel they need some kind of UCRite foe to oppose, but if so, pick a new one; maybe try Gatesville, I don't think any of us like them.

That may be one way to prevent a Cold War, but what you're basically saying is that the other side needs to come around to your side. It is not completely unreasonable to be wary of the large TNI presence in Balder. It may be on the extreme end to say that TNI has an iron fist on Balder, but it would be poor judgement to believe that TNI isn't a special interest group that does have considerable sway within the region.

It's also not unreasonable to see why some of us don't view these types of relationships as simple domestic matters. While there is likely a faction who oppose TNI being in Balder for ideological reasons, there are those of us (myself included) that are looking at things from a broader strategic reference. We don't necessarily believe cosmopolitanism is a good thing for the GCR community. I was a critic of the UDL exercising political influence in GCRs, just as much as I criticize Balder from not building up firewalls against TNI. Last year, everybody was criticizing the UDL and isolating it using these same arguments. Apparently, we now know that those were fronts for simply not liking Unibot.

Any brewing Cold War will be about a much broader conflict: people wary of GCR governance being strongly influenced or outright controlled by outsiders, and those who believe that it's not a big deal (or those who choose to ignore the dangers because those outside actors are "dedicated members" of the region). It's reductive to look at it as people being against TNI or imperialists or whatever specific actor.

You jest that we should pick a new foe, perhaps Gatesville. By doing that, you play into that reductive reasoning. You show that you're not really understanding the motivations of all those who are critical of TNI-Balder/Osiris/TSP relations (or, in the past, UDL relations). It may be a reality that GCR governments are intertwined not only with one another (see my thoughts on Todd's adminship in TSP), but with outside groups as well. I think calling it cosmopolitanism is a misnomer, because even cosmopolitans are not ignorant of the possibility for outsiders to act in the interests of their foreign groups (see Unibot's The Polysemes of Nativeness and his discussion on Whamabama's nativity definition). Indeed, being a constructive member is the best way for somebody to intertwine themselves in a GCR government, to build influence in order to further the interests of some other group.

Cosmopolitanism is not cover under which these people can hide, and it is naive to think that these people don't exist. People like AMOM may be regionalists who want to further a positive definition of nativity/citizenship, so as to construct a wall around the GCRs. But people like myself are cosmopolitans who recognize that benevolence is a rare trait in NationStates, so it behooves us all to approach strong and close relations between GCRs and outside groups with caution and scrutiny. The overarching problem here is the centralization of power. Cosmopolitanism does not proscribe constructing firewalls against that pattern, so we don't need to simply accept cosmopolitanism as a reality that allows outside forces to intertwine with GCR governments. The long-term strategic power plays work against the benevolent intentions of the cosmopolitan ideology.

Solorni
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm

The idea that Balder has a sizeable portion of TNIers in it is ridiculous. The only TNIer in the government is NES. That is 1/6 of the cabinet, or 16.6% of it. Ditto for the legislature. Balder has most of members dedicated either solely to Balder or have it ranked tied for first, this represents a huge increase since the last time such a poll was done. So quite frankly, any argument that TNI controls Balder, is moot. I mean, for heavens sake.. we have FALCONIAS and ST GEORGE in our cabinet. You don't get more anti-TNI than that. I view Balders greatest strength is it's ability to gain members to be dedicated to the region rather than foreign agendas.

So please Glen-Rhodes, enlighten yourself before you speak of my region.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Brick Flair
Secretary

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brick Flair » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Glen Rhodes- you need to address the imperialist sphere correctly. Otherwise people like Solorni will outright dismiss your entire post. Regardless of how correct your observation is. So while NES is the only proper TNI member in Balder, there are a majority of "Imperialists" that make up the citizenship of the region. It's a clever political ploy employed by the Imperialists; to obfuscate matters by avoiding a catch-all title.
Last edited by Brick Flair on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Brick Flair. Nations seem to like me because I am polite, and I'm rarely contentious. I like to surf update, and I really enjoy a nice coup. Years later, a script will tell me that I have a SPDR of 48 and am what some regions call "moderately influential."

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm

These puppet accounts are getting boring. Come out and say what you're saying with your main account.

Brick Flair
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brick Flair » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Mad Jack wrote:These puppet accounts are getting boring. Come out and say what you're saying with your main account.

How about you stay on topic and not worry about such trivial matters.
I'm Brick Flair. Nations seem to like me because I am polite, and I'm rarely contentious. I like to surf update, and I really enjoy a nice coup. Years later, a script will tell me that I have a SPDR of 48 and am what some regions call "moderately influential."

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Mad Jack wrote:These puppet accounts are getting boring. Come out and say what you're saying with your main account.

Okay, fine, but I cannot remember Unibot III's password. Give me some time.
Retired

Brick Flair
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brick Flair » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Milograd wrote:

Okay, fine, but I cannot remember Unibot III's password. Give me some time.

Last time I checked it was, OMGOsiransDoingImpSpin

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Yes, let's please do this. I made a public statement, so responses to that should be both public and attached to a real identity. Sending me hate mail only deteriorates your own position, and remaining anonymous only works if your statements are more compelling than average. Brick Flair might be making a good point, but I'm inclined to view it skeptically as politically motivated because a puppet is being used. Perhaps using a puppet would be acceptable if the person behind the nation would have his or her ideas dismissed simply for who they are, in which case, again, you're going to need to make a more compelling point!

Solorni, you may not agree with me, but I don't base my opinions on reading oracle bones. You frequently point to Balder's Cabinet, so I'll just point out that not too long ago, the Joint Commander of the UIAF was Balder's Minister of War. The Assistant Commander was Balder's Minister of Security. But let's be clear, here: influence is exercised through many means. Isolating one means and showing the lack of outside forces using it doesn't tell us much either way.

I believe that there's the extreme position that TNI controls Balder. I don't share that opinion, but I do think it's naive to dismiss outright to notion that TNI exerts influence in Balder. Nobody would say that TSP is under TNI control, but it's very clear that TSP's foreign policy is almost entirely based around TNI-TSP relations, with the emphasis placed on the former partner in that dyad. The Modern Pacific-Sinker Alliance was dead on arrival in TSP because the delegate saw it as an anti-TNI treaty. That is an exertion of influence that doesn't require any individual to be members of both governments.

But this isn't about Balder and TNI. We're being reductive when we use them as anything but examples. I would be saying the same things here (and was saying those things privately in the past) if the UDL was exerting the same kind of influence. GCRs should govern themselves, which is something we all agree on. However, self-governance is impossible if firewalls aren't built against outside forces. That's where people strongly disagree, and that's where the conflict will be brewing if we are really heading towards a GCR Cold War.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solorni
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:10 pm

I don't even understand why it has to be about TNI. Balders view is that we should build our relationships individually, if we had amazing relations with all the GCRs then yes, something like the MPSA makes sense. But this is not true and my personal annoyance with members of the NPO have been the multiple attacks they have done on Balder because of the fact that we have NES in our region and that we don't support the MPSA.

Our "firewall" has been our culture and building a region that people would want to call their first and only home. You hear accusations from various people about the UDL, NPO and TNI try to subvert GCRs. But I don't view GCRs as anthills to fight over, if you build a strong enough community then you shouldn't have to worry about a tiny minority of people trying to "subvert" you. My question always is, well if they can do it... why can't we? If they have such strong cultures... the UDL, NPO and TNI that people view them as impossible to subvert, why can't all GCRs do the same? It shouldn't be a culture of fear. Balder has extremely strong individualistic and independent streaks. The people who fought most against large treaties aren't even "imperialists", but rather many of the defenders. Our philosophy is also building a culture where we try to isolate no group within the region but rather understand that ruling requires an understand that the gameside is first (hence our high rate of endorsements) and trying to be as inclusive and representative as possible.

I don't adhere to the negative politics of fear because I feel that with strength, you can have a positive approach. You're never going to convince me that the negative approach is necessary. There is never one way.

But say we adhere to your belief that TNIers are evil and subvert regions. Isn't it the same with all groups then? All the TNPers in the region... the Europeians... the FRAers... the Equilismers... why can't they be influencing the region? Why can't Balder influence other regions?
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay