NATION

PASSWORD

Osiris

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

NS Forum Lurker
Attaché

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NS Forum Lurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Fact: We’ve permanently damaged Osiris’ former ruling cadre
Fact: We’ve had a lot of fun doing it

Yeah, ok. Now I'm kind of jealous, when you put it that way.

Cormac A Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac A Stark » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Nevadar wrote:<snip>

What I get from this is that you have an inflated sense of how secure your position is in Osiris.

I'm fine with that.

Nevadar
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevadar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 pm

TAO the Wanderer wrote: I don't see you playing the 'evil queen' role very successfully. You are too nice a person

TAO, stop it! You are ruining my reputation and I have been working really really hard to be evil!

*stomps her foot and breaks a dish*

Would you like a cookie?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

The commonwealth debacle in short, for those who don't know.

1. A very large alliance of raider regions with a shared forum was inherited by my "daughter." (NS families lulz.) who immediately called for assistance in crushing the Fender influences threatening to flip the commonwealth.

2. I arrived and analyze the situation. If we did not intervene, the defender faction would flip the LARGEST raider forum in the entire game over to the fender side. That could not be allowed to occur.

3. I called Aeazer and asked for the combines involvement.

4. We arrived over the next few weeks and discussed with members of the establishment how to prevent the fenders from seizing the region. It was agreed we would stuff the ballots.

5. The election results are rigged in favor of raider candidates who are fiercely pro-monarchy powers (As a favor to me and my daughter.). It becomes apparent that the situation has gone beyond our control. The fender influences on the forum are too much, and even by rigging the election we are unable to turn the tide. The chief justices are all fenders and obstructionism in the upper house is preventing any attempts to help us. It becomes apparent that the commonwealth will, sooner or later, turn fender.

6. It is decided the commonwealth must be destroyed to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.

7. I leak the fact that the election results were rigged, in addition to a lot of other scandalous information about as many members of the region I can dig up (Sans my daughter.). I leak the fact that multiple people assissted us in conspiring to rig the elections, including some of the founders of the regions involved. I also make some shit up and implicate people not involved.

8. Shit hits the fan, and martial law is declared. The fender factions found their own forum and claim to be the "elected commonwealth." government.

9. We set about dismantling our government and demolishing the alliance army and intelligence agencies. The monarch uses their legal authority to appoint me regent or some shit, and I issue an executive order declaring the commonwealth to be officially dissolved.

10. The people sent to infiltrate the elected commonwealth announce they have won a majority of the seats in their parliament. (Why bet on only one horse?)

11. They use their influence to elect someone as monarch (Can't have my daughter after all) who Isn't a member of the combine, but who I know hates the commonwealth.

12. As monarch, this person dismantles the elected commonwealth just as we are dismantling ours.

13. The commonwealth collapses.

14. My daughter abdicates the crown to me because I like collecting crowns from defunct regions. :p

You should all note. The only reason action were required by us AT ALL, is that the fenders planted a spy as the minister of immigration, who quickly rubber stamped a LOT of immigrants shortly before election day.
Naturally, they were sacked very quickly but you can't revoke citizenships willy nilly. (Fucking obstructionist judges.)
So we just appointed our man and he rubber stamped us too.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 pm

I'll quote the facts too, since they're fun and all the cool kids are doing it ;)
Nevadar wrote:Fact: We’ve permanently damaged Osiris’ former ruling cadre

Nah. Is the former community damaged? To a degree, yes. But I think it's mostly due to outside interferences; notably, finding a spy and having the former forum owner leave after nearly baleeting the whole works. So, yeah, by that standard, it has been damaged. But, I cannot look at things from just that angle. I liken it to pruning a plant. You cut some of the dead plant off at the bud to encourage more growth. This (typically) allows for the plant to grow in fuller, stronger, and with more energy. In short, you go through
a little pain to grow a better plant.

Fact: We’ve had a lot of fun doing it

Can't argue fun when it comes to a game.

Fact: We could stay indefinitely if we choose to

You could, but it would be difficult.

Fact: We might

It is doubtful. Regimes come and go, and the one in exile currently has more natives and native support. Or there could be a Todd revolution. But that is also unlikely.

Fact: Vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate ice cream

Yeah, it is.

Fact: We don’t care about marsupials or Klingons

Now I know that is a farce.

Fact: It’s really time to move on

Let the games continue!
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:<snip>

I just want to say, that history lesson has a lot of parallels to 18th century Poland, in which their congress (Sjem) became so infiltrated with Russians and a lot of other foreign forces they eventually overran the country. Nothing could get done, and the country was powerless to resist things like partitions, of which three occurred (though the people did revolt, at least, but were crushed by the ruling factions, sadly)

NS Forum Lurker
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NS Forum Lurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:The commonwealth debacle in short, for those who don't know.

1. A very large alliance of raider regions with a shared forum was inherited by my "daughter." (NS families lulz.) who immediately called for assistance in crushing the Fender influences threatening to flip the commonwealth.

2. I arrived and analyze the situation. If we did not intervene, the defender faction would flip the LARGEST raider forum in the entire game over to the fender side. That could not be allowed to occur.

3. I called Aeazer and asked for the combines involvement.

4. We arrived over the next few weeks and discussed with members of the establishment how to prevent the fenders from seizing the region. It was agreed we would stuff the ballots.

5. The election results are rigged in favor of raider candidates who are fiercely pro-monarchy powers (As a favor to me and my daughter.). It becomes apparent that the situation has gone beyond our control. The fender influences on the forum are too much, and even by rigging the election we are unable to turn the tide. The chief justices are all fenders and obstructionism in the upper house is preventing any attempts to help us. It becomes apparent that the commonwealth will, sooner or later, turn fender.

6. It is decided the commonwealth must be destroyed to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.

7. I leak the fact that the election results were rigged, in addition to a lot of other scandalous information about as many members of the region I can dig up (Sans my daughter.). I leak the fact that multiple people assissted us in conspiring to rig the elections, including some of the founders of the regions involved. I also make some shit up and implicate people not involved.

8. Shit hits the fan, and martial law is declared. The fender factions found their own forum and claim to be the "elected commonwealth." government.

9. We set about dismantling our government and demolishing the alliance army and intelligence agencies. The monarch uses their legal authority to appoint me regent or some shit, and I issue an executive order declaring the commonwealth to be officially dissolved.

10. The people sent to infiltrate the elected commonwealth announce they have won a majority of the seats in their parliament. (Why bet on only one horse?)

11. They use their influence to elect someone as monarch (Can't have my daughter after all) who Isn't a member of the combine, but who I know hates the commonwealth.

12. As monarch, this person dismantles the elected commonwealth just as we are dismantling ours.

13. The commonwealth collapses.

14. My daughter abdicates the crown to me because I like collecting crowns from defunct regions. :p

You should all note. The only reason action were required by us AT ALL, is that the fenders planted a spy as the minister of immigration, who quickly rubber stamped a LOT of immigrants shortly before election day.
Naturally, they were sacked very quickly but you can't revoke citizenships willy nilly. (Fucking obstructionist judges.)
So we just appointed our man and he rubber stamped us too.

They would've gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddlin' kids! :rofl:

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:<snip>

I just want to say, that history lesson has a lot of parallels to 18th century Poland, in which their congress (Sjem) became so infiltrated with Russians and a lot of other foreign forces they eventually overran the country. Nothing could get done, and the country was powerless to resist things like partitions, of which three occurred (though the people did revolt, at least, but were crushed by the ruling factions, sadly)

Who's the russians in my scenario :p
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Biyah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Biyah » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Nev wrote: <snip>

That's an awful long post when all you're trying to say is:

1: That you're not letting go of AC as an ally. Because, really, from your perspective you'd look stupid to do so - you'd have to admit you were wrong to call them. And that just doesn't happen.

2: Your allies can go to hell for demanding the AC be removed. Because, really, you've got a secure region and a GCR delegacy - why do you need them anyway?

3: Everyone can go to hell. Because, really, you're having fun - so screw everyone else that isn't. The damage being dealt isn't being done to you or your community, so it doesn't matter in the slightest.

4: Screw Klingons.

I suspect I have the tl;dr version down there. Mmm?

Classy.
~B

Edit: Apparently I suck with quotes too.
Last edited by Biyah on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Lord Menelian, Patriarch of The House of Rahl, Reborn.

So sleep soundly in your beds tonight, for judgement falls upon you at first light. I'm the hand of God, I'm the dark messiah, I'm the vengeful one.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:I just want to say, that history lesson has a lot of parallels to 18th century Poland, in which their congress (Sjem) became so infiltrated with Russians and a lot of other foreign forces they eventually overran the country. Nothing could get done, and the country was powerless to resist things like partitions, of which three occurred (though the people did revolt, at least, but were crushed by the ruling factions, sadly)

That would be the defenders

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

That would be the defenders

Ahh.
The only reason I issued the leaks at all is that I miscalculated the level of fender unity. I assumed that if they were forced to found their own forums they would splinter into various "The Real Slim Shady's."
Unfortunately, they founded only one forum. So it was all a bit of a mess and I ended up with egg on my face.
But then again, we couldn't just up and declare the organization dissolved unless chaos was around anyway, so it probably helped.
The point is, no matter which way you look at it, we didn't delete those forums.
We were the government of both of them, and officially declared them to be defunct, which was in our power at the time under the constitution thanks to martial law.
The forums themselves may even still be around, i'm not sure. but theres sure as shit no admin or moderators on there to remask people.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Mr Ferdinand and the Extraterrestrials
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mr Ferdinand and the Extraterrestrials » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Biyah wrote:
4: Screw Klingons.

Did someone say Klingons?

Eviscerator X
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eviscerator X » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Change is almost never welcome.

We are the change agents of NationStates.

Live with it.
Internal Affairs Advocate - Gatesville
Gatesville Inc

NS Forum Lurker
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NS Forum Lurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Eviscerator X wrote:Change is almost never welcome.

We are the change agents of NationStates.

Live with it.

'change agents', huh? I got some loose change ya'll can have.

I'm almost certain this is off-topic, though. Is this really discussing Osiris, or is this just to see who can piss harder?

Mr Ferdinand and the Extraterrestrials
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mr Ferdinand and the Extraterrestrials » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Where did the post that everyone is quoting from go?

I'm confused. :blink:

Biyah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Biyah » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm

It was deleted.

And I like change, E. Once we get Osiris back, you and I should discuss 'change'. I can think of several things in your region/community that could 'change'.

Come to think of it, I think it will be a very... fruitful... discussion. You guys set the bar, but there's always room for improvement.
Last edited by Biyah on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Lord Menelian, Patriarch of The House of Rahl, Reborn.

So sleep soundly in your beds tonight, for judgement falls upon you at first light. I'm the hand of God, I'm the dark messiah, I'm the vengeful one.

Eviscerator X
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eviscerator X » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Cormac A Stark wrote:
Nevadar wrote:<snip>

What I get from this is that you have an inflated sense of how secure your position is in Osiris.

Prove it.

Nah. Is the former community damaged? To a degree, yes. But I think it's mostly due to outside interferences; notably, finding a spy and having the former forum owner leave after nearly baleeting the whole works. So, yeah, by that standard, it has been damaged. But, I cannot look at things from just that angle. I liken it to pruning a plant. You cut some of the dead plant off at the bud to encourage more growth. This (typically) allows for the plant to grow in fuller, stronger, and with more energy. In short, you go through
a little pain to grow a better plant.

Translation, "we can't handle the truth and we spend too much time with plants."

Osiris needed not a pruning, but an uprooting. Efforts to revive the previous regime are akin to planting a tree whose roots have been severed. It may look alive, but it is not.

It was deleted.

And I like change, E. Once we get Osiris back, you and I should discuss 'change'. I can think of several things in your region/community that could 'change'.

Come to think of it, I think it will be a very... fruitful... discussion. You guys set the bar, but there's always room for improvement.

We always set the bar. We are the trendsetters and style innovators. Eventually you will catch on to this fact. Then we can have as many fruit filled discussions that you so desire.

I am fond of apples in particular.
Internal Affairs Advocate - Gatesville
Gatesville Inc

NS Forum Lurker
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby NS Forum Lurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 pm

This is what I liken it to:

Seems to me like Gatesville stung like a bee, Osiris cried like a B., then came the AC; watch out folks, I think we might be deceived. Who's the good guy in this, can you see? I think it's plain to see that a + b = c; less folks care with increasing speed. Here comes the left, there goes the right; it looks like Cormac just got punched in the eye. Hidden in the background, Biyah looks to the sky; he drops a prayer for God to kill the Gatesville mites, but God doesn't listen, he just turns his head and sighs. Old Osiris officials are left with nowhere to turn. Into the darkness they stumble back, to pout and ember burn. Will they be back? Forget them, let's get some beer.
Last edited by NS Forum Lurker on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kharkistania
Secretary

Founded: Aug 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kharkistania » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm

So, who deleted that post? Was it a self-deletion, or did the forum moderators not like it for some reason?

Nevadar
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevadar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Apparently I am not allowed to post anything with a quote from a DOS player. Aeazer is apparently on that list. My bad. Should have read the rules more closely.

For those who are interested, the memo is now hosted on the Osiris forum at http://w11.zetaboards.com/Usiris/topic/8989122/1/

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 pm

NS Forum Lurker wrote:
Cerian Quilor wrote:<snip>

That makes you that word I can't call you without getting in trouble with the mods, lol.

Subtlety clearly isn't one of your strong points. *** 1 day ban for trollnaming. ***

For the record, another mod removed the post, for the reason Nevadar has given.

Kharkistania
Secretary

Founded: Aug 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kharkistania » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Sedgistan wrote:*** 1 day ban for trollnaming. ***

I like this rule. More forums should have it.

Mt Treasure
Political Columnist

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mt Treasure » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 am

So many pages to wade through! Coming back to the question I asked regarding the accusations against the AC, it appears Kharkistania referred to an incident in The Commonwealth which has been negated by the statement of the nation of Ostroeuropa. The nation of Alexander Sothis referred to two regions Illuminati and Brotherhood which I believe are events from 2005 if I read his post correctly which relate to forum tampering but the nature and extent of which is not clear. Regardless, events from 8 years ago make poor excuses to ostracise a group of nations from our world even if their conduct could easily be dubbed insidious.

Asuka Langley Soryu
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Asuka Langley Soryu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 am

due to my time zone GMT+1 i keep missing all the fun.

anyway.
in short Gatesville won't be going anywhere, osiris is ours.

Cerian Quilor
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Cerian Quilor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 am

Nevadar wrote:Apparently I am not allowed to post anything with a quote from a DOS player. Aeazer is apparently on that list. My bad. Should have read the rules more closely.

For those who are interested, the memo is now hosted on the Osiris forum at http://w11.zetaboards.com/Usiris/topic/8989122/1/

What Gatesville has done has broken no new ground, has broken no mold, and represents no massive innovation in Gameplay. Stop pretending that it has. And since you have just admitted that you are in fact not there to help Osiris, does that mean we can expect none of your people will use that obviously fictitious line.

Moreover, yes, you have the 'big stick' part of the policy down (at least, as long as someone else hands you their ready made stick), but you've completely missed the 'speak softly' part of the 'speak softly and carry a big stick'.
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.

The Thing to Remember About NationStates is that it is an almost entirely social game - fundamentally, you have no power beyond your own ability to convince people to go along with your ideas. In that sense, even the most dictatorial region is fundamentally democratic.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay